2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Renovating old and rusty Wedges back to life

Howard_Jones

This thread is great! Just curious, if I wanted an oil can finish what would I use? Something like this?

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/blackening-browning/plum-brown-prod24772.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=BIRCHWOOD%20CASEY

Another thought, how do I apply the silicone oil? Do I just rub a little into the wedge after the finish is applied?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..the last thing first
- Silicone oil is just oil based on silicone, so its very water resistant, and therefor a good choice, plus its not eating up the black oxide who actually is black rust. Most protective oil like WD40 or similar have rust removing agents, and thats not a good thing here. Thats kind of like oil them and put them in coke at the same time.

The product you link to, is to get a "Vintage" rusty red look like on old weapons instead of black, but its not "oil can".

I dont know how they make "oil can", but on this web page you will most likely find it
http://www.finishing.com/letters/#2f

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm attempting to do the same thing you did(Howard) but my wedge is in rougher shape, I was wondering if you had any suggestions to get it in good enough shape to perma blue it. Thanks, jake
[attachment=1650715:image.jpg]

G30 LS 10.5 ADDI 6X 44.5"
G30 14.5*, 18* ADDI 7X 43, 42.5
G30 19* Tour 90 X
i25 3, 4 S55 5-pw DG TI S400 ylw dot
Glide 50s, 54ss, 60ts DG TI S400
Ketsch 35" straight arc
WITB Link

That wedge is not that bad,(what about face ?)
- just go back to page 1, and follow the info you find there, its all you need renovate it, and it will turn out nice. There is no other needs for this head than for all the others, and it seem like everyone who gave it a try and followed this post have done it with good outcome so just jump into it, no worries !

[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1366775888' post='6905629']
That wedge is not that bad,(what about face ?)
- just go back to page 1, and follow the info you find there, its all you need renovate it, and it will turn out nice. There is no other needs for this head than for all the others, and it seem like everyone who gave it a try and followed this post have done it with good outcome so just jump into it, no worries !
[/quote]
Awesome thank you. I was a little worried because after soaking it in vinegar for a few hours that's how it came out so I thought maybe its too far away from repair, but I'm glad to hear that, thanks again

G30 LS 10.5 ADDI 6X 44.5"
G30 14.5*, 18* ADDI 7X 43, 42.5
G30 19* Tour 90 X
i25 3, 4 S55 5-pw DG TI S400 ylw dot
Glide 50s, 54ss, 60ts DG TI S400
Ketsch 35" straight arc
WITB Link

• 3 months later...

Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I just had to post this since this thread was my introduction to the WRX and has since got me hooked on DIY restorations of wedges and putters.

Here's a DIY I just did this weekend of an OLD 200 Series Raw BV I found in my garage... apparently sitting in a corner where water collected over multiple northern Ohio winters. I had given up on this thing years ago before I discovered this thread/site.

So, despite the fact that the grooves are far from optimal, I really like the head profile and the sole grind suits my action so I thought I'd get it back in gamer shape.

Here's the before's in all their oxidized glory:

post-254422-0-59645200-1376319346_thumb.jpg

post-254422-0-23224100-1376319400_thumb.jpg

I coked these for 72 hours, although it wouldn't have really mattered as there was still a ton of corrosive buildup. As I said before, coke will eliminate surface spots but won't take down buildup. After going to town with a firm wire brush (not the dinky brass brush you might find on a golf bag), a bastxxx file on the face, and progressively sanding with 60 -> 150 grit sandpaper, here's what we have:

post-254422-0-23829400-1376319451_thumb.jpg

post-254422-0-07195700-1376319773_thumb.jpg

As you can see, there was significant pitting on the toe of the club (this portion of the club was sitting in water for a long amount of time). I was reluctant to file the face down too much for fear of significant weight loss; I didn't want to have to worry about significant swingweight variation as I don't really have the means to measure/remedy that in my garage. So I'm happy with how it looks at this point. I also ran a regroover tool on the face to get the corrosive buildup out of the grooves.

After a dip in the Caswell's 370 SS blackener, a couple applications of Birchwood Casey Super Blue, fresh paintfill, and an oil wipe, here's the finish:

post-254422-0-06925200-1376319613_thumb.jpg

post-254422-0-78030200-1376319714_thumb.jpg

I have since hit some balls with it in the yard, and I can discern no major issues with weight loss; we'll see how the grooves play when I get to the course this afternoon.

• 5 months later...

So a couple of questions regarding paint fill. I just finished my first and it's just an old wedge sitting in my garage. [attachment=2066037:image.jpg] so I soaked it in coke all nite and after a little scrubbing it looked like this.[attachment=2066039:image.jpg]. So this is where my problems came. First I had a very difficult time fully removing the original paint fill. I'm about 3% handy so maybe just more patience is needed. Second I had a really hard time sanding and filing to make look new again. Is it not recommended to use a sanding drill bit instead of doing by hand? Also when I first did my paint fill it looked fine but after applying gun blue it showed more imperfections in the fill. Is it ok with the gun blue to apply some acetone and try to straighten up or should I start over? [attachment=2066043:image.jpg]

Try to fill them up with paint, let it dry, grind surface down.
Its that simple, so the only mistake you did was to little paint fill to start with, OR you started to grind down before it was fully dried up
Its a good thing to store them in a cold place after they are dry, but before grinding. It makes the paint a bit harder and then you eliminate the risk of paint coming loose from the dept of the letters like it could when paint is still a bit soft.

Gun blue is just "black rust", and if its not any oil on it, paint will stick like on bare metal.
What COULD happen is that after some time, there might be a brown edge of rust around the letters coming from rust under the paint

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Raw steel will always rust, but the higher the polish you can get on the surface using a combination of 300+ wet and dry paper and polishing with something like autosol, the less rapidly it will take hold. As far as maintaining the face and keeping rust from forming inside the grooves using something like barkeepers friend will keep the rust at bay. Also as Howard has mentioned a quick wipe of either silicon oil or wd40 after they have been cleaned will also hold back the onset of new rust forming.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread back to life but I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find an answer. Maybe it was in this thread and I read past it.

I'm looking for a tried and true method to remove small dings/nics from the bottom of a club. Dings I'm talking about are from normal play, nothing large. You can't really feel the nics, but is noticeable especially after cleaning the rust off.

By the way I used CLR to clean the wedge and it works alot faster than a coke bath.

Sorry to bring this thread back to life but I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find an answer. Maybe it was in this thread and I read past it.

I'm looking for a tried and true method to remove small dings/nics from the bottom of a club. Dings I'm talking about are from normal play, nothing large. You can't really feel the nics, but is noticeable especially after cleaning the rust off.

By the way I used CLR to clean the wedge and it works alot faster than a coke bath.

Add a photo of a club head, like Nelic say a hammer is the tool to use on real battle wounds, but if its more like "bag chatter" we cant really fix it, but "hide it" by satinizing the surface using Scotshbrite or similar.

Thanks for the turorial. I put a nice ding in my wedge from hitting a rock last week. I'm not worried about looks, but it was sharp. It was only a matter of time until I cut myself on it.

5 minutes of tapping and a quick hit with a file, and I'm no longer in danger of slicing my hand open while removing or replacing the club.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Trying to revive an old thread before I post something new. I bought a used set. One of the wedges has a rock mark on the leading edge that has caused a little bulging of the lowest groove near that area. Is that something I can hammer flat or it that a bad idea considering it is on the face and could actually make the wedge less playable? Any help would be great.

Tour Issue 8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Ventus Red 6s (RIP)

Ping G430 LST 9* w/ AutoFlex 505xx
Ping G430 LST 3 Wood w/ GD AD-HD 7s
19* Taylormade Sim Max Hybrid w/ Tensei Pro White 90s
22* Ping G430 w/ Aldila NV2KXV Orange 85s 
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW Accra i-Series 115
Mizuno Pro 223 GW 50*
Cobra Snakebite 55* & 59*
Odyssey White-Hot OG 7s  

Trying to revive an old thread before I post something new. I bought a used set. One of the wedges has a rock mark on the leading edge that has caused a little bulging of the lowest groove near that area. Is that something I can hammer flat or it that a bad idea considering it is on the face and could actually make the wedge less playable? Any help would be great.

post a photo of it, it has to be really bad before improvement is impossible, most damages can be fixed with a hammer only

post a photo of it, it has to be really bad before improvement is impossible, most damages can be fixed with a hammer only

I'm at work but I'll post a pic tonight. After floating around other forums I think its def possible to repair. Thanks Howard.

Mizuno Pro 223 GW 50*
Odyssey White-Hot OG 7s  

I'm at work but I'll post a pic tonight. After floating around other forums I think its def possible to repair. Thanks Howard.

Interested in seeing how this will work out for you. It isn't hard, and I think that you'll find yourself proud of what you can accomplish

Tried to show the bulging on the face as best I could

Mizuno Pro 223 GW 50*
Odyssey White-Hot OG 7s