Rich Harvest Farms

In2Bate

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are in for a real treat. You will be treated like royalty at RHF. I've been fortunate enought to play it 3 times thanks to a buddy who used to work there and is still friends with the superintendent. It's a world class facility that will make you feel right at home. Make sure to check out the names on the lockers in the locker room. Or maybe just sit down at a certain #23's locker. If you're going with a member, ask them to show you Mr. Rich's car museum. It has any car you can think of, including Princess Diana's Limo she rode in while in the US, Mello Yellow car from Days of Thunder, Griswolds Station Wagon from Vacation, yada yada yada. On to golf. Rich Harvest is made up of a Gold 9 and a Silver 9. In the Solheim Cup the 9's were flipped. Make sure your driver is in tip top shape cause it's long and the rough is very penalizing. However I don't feel like the greens are overwhelming except for maybe Gold #7. Most likely the greens will be rolling at a 12-13. That's what Jerry likes them at. Don't worry about bumpy greens, this course is flawless when it comes to conditioning. Golf Digest's rankings will back that up. As for interesting holes, Gold #3(Sneads Crotch, read the plaque on the tree in the middle of the fairway) is challenging. Holes 6-9 are my favorite stretch on the course. #7's green is very scary. Get it on the right level!!! #8 is the #1 handicap hole and the approach shot ranks up there as one of my fav. shots.(Don't be short) #9 gives you a chance to get home in 2 on a down hill par 5. As you make the turn the Plantation House is stunning as well as the new Harvest Lodge where Solheim Cup members stayed. My favorite tee shot(and most intimitdating) is on Silver #4, Devils Elbow. Make sure to tee off from the tips so you understand what narrow truly means. Only bad thing is that it used to be even narrower before the Solheim Cup and a couple storms. Silver #5 par 3, have fun! Silver #7 very long and the approach is the other shot that I love along with the one on Gold #8. Trivia.....Silver #8 was the first hole Jerry buildt. As for negatives, I personally have none. But alot of people dislike the routing of the course. There are a few long walks between holes, but when you're at a place like this, I just don't care. Another complaint is that some holes are gimmicky. You be the judge. Most would say, Gold #3 and Silver #4. Some holes are heavely tree lined and some are wide open. And there is no out of bounds on the course. Other than that, have a good time and let me know what you think.

[quote name='ebenn' timestamp='1281207546' post='2624664']
All i can add is that I am jealous. I walked it for 4 days during the Solheim cup and drooled all over it. What a great course. Unfortunately Jerry has no reciprocity with any clubs but my FIL is supposedly getting us on it before the summer is over. We'll see!!

Have a great time!
[/quote]

Not true! There's reciprocity with my club. Only took a phone call from pro to pro! By the way...what does "FIL" stand for?

In response to whether or not you can see the museum without a member, I'm not sure who you are playing with but I personally would ask the pro. He seemed like a nice enough guy. Jerry is very proud of the collection and everytime I've been there I've gone through it, so I don't think it's gonna be very hard to go in. Once I figure out how to post pics on here I'll get them up. Oh, don't take pics in the museum, big no no. If the person showing you around is a good host, ask him to show you the game room with the poker tables, black jack tables, and pool tables. Lots of memorabilia in there. Once again, enjoy your day!

Rich Harvest Farms Review (in spirit of GolfWeek)

Ease and Intimacy of Routing (4): Mix of easy and difficult walks from green to tee. Without a forecaddie, we would have been lost when looking for some tees. On a couple of occasions, it was easier to cross back over a hole already played to get to the next tee. Also, you hit a tee shot on a par 3 then hit your tee shot on the following par 4 before finishing the par three and finally returning to your ball on the par 4 fairway (or rough). In one word: quirky.

Quality of feature shaping (6): Nothing extraordinary. Several parkland style holes with typical featuring and a few linksy holes mixed in.

Natural setting and overall land plan (8): Course is stretched out on PLENTY of land. There are several groves of trees, ponds, wetlands and corn fields in and around the course that make it pretty to look at.

Interest of greens and surrounding chipping areas (6): Forced carry over bunkers to most greens. Chipping areas tightly mown. Greens have multiple gentle slopes and swayles in them. Nothing too severe.

Variety and memorability of par 3's (6): Three of four holes are force carries over marsh or water. Water not really in play unless first shot is terrible. Length of par threes are similar. Nothing too memorable.

Variety and memorability of par 4's (7): Good mix of short and long holes. "Sneed's crotch" and "Devil's elbow" are memorable because they are very difficult (each are a very tight dogleg left par 4 (90 degree angle types of holes). I felt like these holes were more tricked up and manufactured - unlike the other holes on the course which seemed more natural.

Variety and memorability of par 5's (8): Great par 5's. At least two great risk reward holes where driver/iron in two is possible but 3 wood/layup is the prudent play.

Basic Conditioning (6): It's been a hard summer for most in the US. My rating reflects that. If this were a normal heat/humidity summer, my rating would have been "4." Lots of bare patches in the fairways and around the greens. Greens a bit slow. My home course is in a considerably warmer and more humid climate (i.e. giant fans at each green) and is in the same shape as Rich Harvest. I was a little disappointed in this category given that "nobody" plays this course.

Landscape and tree management (9): Augusta National is the only "10", right?

"Walk in the park" test (5): Not too hilly. Some walks from green to tee were a snap. Some took 5 minutes up and down slopes. For some reason, backtracking while walking is demoralizing (especially on a hot humid day). H20 every third hole, though.

Overall rating (7): Great setting (i.e. the farm). Great amenities. Lots of space. Very private. Very natural. Actual holes aren't very memorable. Not too easy to walk. I was expecting more from a Golf Digest Top 100 course. Shouldn't be on the list, in my opinion. In my personal Top 20 played.