2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Slow play and the reaction

Sniperman

How do you react to slow play in front of you
On a recent round in our muni course in Southern CA, I was paired with two gents who scored in the low to mid-90s...I scored 80, with a chance to break 80 on the par 5 18th. During the entire round, they complained about how slow the guys were in front of us who looked like they may have just taken up the game 6 months ago. These two guys moaned and complained about each "bad" shot that we waited on for those guys in front of us. As for me, i just shrugged and said what can we do, this is what we get at a Muni. My gripe is not about those folks who shot 100+ in front of us and caused a "slower" round at the muni. It was about these two guys who acted as if they picked up the game of golf and shot whatever they're shooting now.

My point is, we need to give those "slow" guys a break and a chance to develop their game. If we whistled and hollered at them to hurry up, that might put more pressure on them and will result in worse shots! We've all been in their position before, and if you want a fast round, go pay the heftier price at a country club...and since these two guys were shooting in the 90s, I'm sure they'd slow down play elsewhere.

So next time you see someone playing slow because they look like they just started...just think that you were once in their shoe.

Thanks for reading.
[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Sniperman' timestamp='1284591567' post='2698871']
On a recent round in our muni course in Southern CA, I was paired with two gents who scored in the low to mid-90s...I scored 80, with a chance to break 80 on the par 5 18th. During the entire round, they complained about how slow the guys were in front of us who looked like they may have just taken up the game 6 months ago. These two guys moaned and complained about each "bad" shot that we waited on for those guys in front of us. As for me, i just shrugged and said what can we do, this is what we get at a Muni. My gripe is not about those folks who shot 100+ in front of us and caused a "slower" round at the muni. It was about these two guys who acted as if they picked up the game of golf and shot whatever they're shooting now.

My point is, we need to give those "slow" guys a break and a chance to develop their game. If we whistled and hollered at them to hurry up, that might put more pressure on them and will result in worse shots! We've all been in their position before, and if you want a fast round, go pay the heftier price at a country club...and since these two guys were shooting in the 90s, I'm sure they'd slow down play elsewhere.

So next time you see someone playing slow because they look like they just started..[b][u].just think that you were once in their shoe.[/u][/b]

Thanks for reading.
[/quote]

I was never in their shoes. Even when i sucked I could still play fast enough to not hold up play. It has very little to do with how many shots you hit. What you do in between shots is more important.

Driver- Cally Mavrik SZ 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, S
3wd- Cally Flash SZ, UST ATTAS Elements, S
Hybrids- Cally Flash 18* & Apex Pro 24* Matrix HM3 95 Black Tie, S
Irons- TM 790 4-6,  TM 760 6-PW,  Steelfiber i95, S
GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
SW/LW- Cally MD3, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

There are several faults when it comes to slow play......

I have seen some courses load up thes course with too many groups which tends to lend itself to a slow round.
One of the biggest issues I see are players who lack the know-how and etiquette to keep things moving. I see players all the time who spend several minutes lining up 50 foot putts, waiting for the green to clear on a par 5 when they are 260 yards out ( after a 190 yard drive) and endless practice swings in the middle of the fairway.

Even if you are a 30 capper - you gotta keep it moving people!

1. I was ALWAYS taught to play at a reasonable pace - regardless of how poorly I was playing.

2. I don't care how slow a group plays - I care that they are too inconsiderate to wave faster groups through when there is space (and when there isn't there is very little anyone can do).

Slow play has always been the cancer of golf. Look at the time the pro's take on every shot. It is just a trickle down from the tour.
I tend to just think about where I'm at on the course. Standing on the course waiting is better than sitting behind a desk at the office. I hate slow play as much as the next guy but I don't let it drag me down.

Slow play has nothing to do with good golfers or bad golfers and their associated scores. I've played with poor golfers who play fast.

Slow play is all about lack of golf etiquette; stupidity; and an attitude of entitlement. Slow play ruins the game in so many ways.

Driver:  Ping G430 LST 10.5*

3 Wood: TM Stealth2 16.5*;  7 Wood: TM Stealth2 21*

Irons:  Titleist T200 5 -PW & Gap

SW:  Titleist SM9 56*

Putter:  TM Spyder GTX

My mother ( who is 63) is a 36 handicap and generally shoots around 115 or so...she gets around the course walking in under 3:45 on average. She asked me when she told me she wanted to start playing (at age 61), "what should I do when I am on the course so I don't feel like I am in everyone's way?". I gave her a 30 minute lesson on how to move around the coursei na timely fashion, and how to be ready to play so as not to impede others.

It isn't the bad play...it is the inability to play ready golf, being ready when it is your turn, setting your bag/cart in the right places, waiting for the green to clear on a par 5 for your second shot when I haven't seen you hit a drive over 215 yds all day. Standing around and generally acting like you are the only person in the world has nothing to do with your abilities as a golfer it has to do with your abilities as a person.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

[quote name='Sniperman' timestamp='1284591567' post='2698871']

So next time you see someone playing slow because they look like they just started...just think that you were once in their shoe.

Thanks for reading.
[/quote]

Sorry Sniperman, but giving a free pass for slow play to beginners is not only wrong, it's irresponsible. The large majority of a round of golf is spent NOT swinging the club. You can shoot 150 and still play in 4 hours or less.

Beginner, experienced, good player or bad. None is an excuse for slow play. And telling a beginner that it is an excuse is just giving them one forever.

People can still play bad and maintain pace of play...I do it all the time :tongue:

The greens are what really leads to slow play...if you are fast around the greens then you can usualy keep pace up pretty well...I just hate it when guys are sitting on the green trying to line up and sink their put for a double as if its going to make a difference...

My dad taught me at a young age,"You can play bad, but don't ever play slow".
Hears a Simple rule...If you want to take your time and play slow golf stay off the course Fri-sun before 2 and any day before 10am when most serious golfers are playing. Anyone who plays during those times is entitled to what they paid for, a 4hr round of golf.

Titleist 915D3 / GD Tour AD DI7s
TM RBZ 15* Diamana BB
Titleist 910H 19* 21* Diamana Kai'li
Titleist 714 AP2 4 - PW
Cameron Studio Stainless NP2
Vokey SM 52* 58*

[quote name='Pweb44' timestamp='1284666409' post='2700419']
I try not to let it bother me too much.....don't like it but not going to ruin my day over it.
[/quote]

Exactly! Especially if there is nothing you can do about it on a course thats backed up. If I already know the round is going to be slow, I just settle in to that fact in the beginning and try to adjust accordingly. The problem I end up having with long rounds (especially in the heat and humidity of Houston) is that I start to get mentally fatigued those last few holes. Strangely enough, once I get mentally tired I find myself with the "lets just get this round over" thoughts and I begin to rush my shots even though play is slow.

I have to disagree. When I first took up the game thank God my brother in law taught me that pace was more important than me learning the game while holding people up. It is very easy to go to a course and not play well however that does not mean it is okay to hold others up. I was taught to keep pace with the group in front and if I was missing shots all over the place to pick my ball up and move on. The playing better part will come. Just because you paid your money does not mean you get to do what you want. I feel for the new guys however learning the pace rules allows everyone to enjoy their round and not just a few new groups.

Low golf skill does NOT need to result in slow play.

My approach when dealing with slow play ........

1. ask to play through

2. call the pro shop and ask them to send a marshall

3. if entire course is backed up, then just accept it and slow everything down myself, stay patient, don't allow it to impact my game

[quote name='heisagoalie' timestamp='1284721303' post='2701308']
I just hit into the group, that gets em moving! (kidding!)
[/quote]

not to thread jack, but i played in front of a guy who played with this mentality a few weeks ago. He was good for 330+ off the tee...I know because I was lining up a shot after a 280 yard drive and his tee shot flew over me and landed 5 or so yards in font of me. So I set my club down, picked up his ball and casually threw it in the water. He did the same thing 2 more times, and lost 2 more prov1x's lol. If he yelled fore on any of the shots i would have let it go, but he didnt. Me and my foursome thought it was funny. Considering the fact that we were in plain sight each time and all his drives were 300+ then it was obviously on purpose.

as for slow play, it happens. people who play slow from what i can see, spend a lot of time looking for balls. If youre looking for your ball for ten minutes and you dont waive the next group through then thats just disrespectful. I play on a military base a lot where high ranking individuals play in fivesomes and sixsomes that refuse to let anyone play through. those days are fun.

Hey guys

Just over a month ago I was lucky enough to play the 2010 at Celtic Manor. It was my girlfriends dads 65th birthday so me, him, his son and his best mate went for the weekend.

Now my girlfriends dad is a bit mad...swings fast, plays fast, drinks fast...pretty much does everything fast (although I've never asked his wife) there was a 3 ball in front who got ahead of us, as you would expect, however for the last 4 holes we were sat right behind them, waiting on every shot with nobody in front - it was shocking.

So my girlfriends dad, being the impatient chap that he is was ranting and raving and it all got a bit too much for him when we were sat on the par 3 17th for 10 minutes. So we were talking about how slow they were and i got up to have a stretch and as i did this he shouts at the top of his voice 'SLOW PLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY' the fact i was the one stood up looking at them made me look pretty guilty and the fact i had bright green trousers on meant i was easily recognisable in the clubhouse after! When we told him that probably wasn't the best thing to do he just looked at us and said 'well it's bloody slow play isnt it? It's bloody illegal'

Yes...thats right, it's illegal. Lock 'um up!

This was one of many funny stories from the weekend regarding his course etiquitte which at the time made me want the course to open up and swallow me!