2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Harmon Golf Center (Boston metro area)

etm001

Are you a member? If so, what's your experience?
Hello,

I am considering joining the Harmon Golf and Fitness Center in Rockland, MA (just south of Boston). I'm looking for opinions and feedback from current or former members in regards to the facilities, staff, and ultimately whether you feel the membership is a good value.

Thanks!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='etm001' timestamp='1289771966' post='2790233']
Hello,

I am considering joining the Harmon Golf and Fitness Center in Rockland, MA (just south of Boston). I'm looking for opinions and feedback from current or former members in regards to the facilities, staff, and ultimately whether you feel the membership is a good value.

Thanks!
[/quote]
Hi ETM,

I've been a member for five years. I thinks it's a great facility and an outstanding value. For your monthly fee you receive the following:

--grass range with unlimited balls
--heated bays in off season
--bunker complex
--two large practice greens
--100 yard wedge range with bunkers
--nine hole short course
--nine hole championship course
--no greens fees
--gym membership
--learning center with all the latest technology
--very good teaching/fitting pros

The staff is very friendly, and accommodating, and the members are a good group as well. If you you have any questions, please call Rich (he's the GM) at 1-866 942-7666, and tell him Sean suggested you contact him. Or, you can email him at: [email protected] and suggest the same thing. Their website is: http://www.harmongolf.com/. Rich would be happy to give you a tour of the facility.

cheers --Sean

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1289778270' post='2790394']
[quote name='etm001' timestamp='1289771966' post='2790233']
Hello,

Thanks!
[/quote]
Hi ETM,

I've been a member for five years. I thinks it's a great facility and an outstanding value. For your monthly fee you receive the following:

--grass range with unlimited balls
--heated bays in off season
--bunker complex
--two large practice greens
--100 yard wedge range with bunkers
--nine hole short course
--nine hole championship course
--no greens fees
--gym membership
--learning center with all the latest technology
--very good teaching/fitting pros

The staff is very friendly, and accommodating, and the members are a good group as well. If you you have any questions, please call Rich (he's the GM) at 1-866 942-7666, and tell him Sean suggested you contact him. Or, you can email him at: [email protected] and suggest the same thing. Their website is: [url="http://www.harmongolf.com/."]http://www.harmongolf.com/.[/url] Rich would be happy to give you a tour of the facility.

cheers --Sean
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply Sean! Can you give me a sense of how busy the center is on average or during peak times? In other words, if you find yourself brushing elbows with folks on the wedge or putting greens, having to wait for a hitting bay, etc., or is crowding generally not an issue?

In the five years I've been a member I've only found it crowded a handful of times. When I did have to wait it was only five or ten minutes and that was in the winter waiting for a heated bay. The grass range is extremely large and can accommodate a large number of golfers. Also, there is a large putting green next to the range where you can putt, and the bunker complex is right next to it.

Rarely is the wedge range crowded. If it is there is a large practice putting/chipping green right in front of it and the short course is adjacent to that so there are many options while you wait. Sometimes I'll just go to one of the holes on the short course and practice my putting, chipping, pitching, and bunker shots there. If someone comes along to play the hole I'll just step aside and wave them on.

Peak times are on the weekends, but if you get there early, or late in the afternoon there are fewer people.

Rich would be happy to give you a tour of the entire facility.

The reason my son and I joined was to save money and do some serious practicing. He was 11 at the time and buying a couple large bucket of balls (hitting of mats), and playing a round of golf at least once a week was getting pricey. As I said, Harmon is a real bargain. The food in the restaurant is good too...and there is no food/drink purchase requirement.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Really great information, thanks again Sean! I am taking a tour this week and don't see why I wouldn't joint - it sounds great, and although it will cost more than hitting buckets at my local driving range each month, it offers much, much more. I also signed up for a five lesson instruction package starting Sunday too.

[quote name='etm001' timestamp='1289869813' post='2792174']
Really great information, thanks again Sean! I am taking a tour this week and don't see why I wouldn't joint - it sounds great, and although it will cost more than hitting buckets at my local driving range each month, it offers much, much more. I also signed up for a five lesson instruction package starting Sunday too.
[/quote]
That's great ETM! Another nice thing is you can spend the entire day their practicing/playing/relaxing...you'll definitely get your money's worth. Who did you sign up to take lessons with? TJ, Tom, or Bob?

What day/time is your tour? I may be around and if it's okay I'd like to meet you. I'll be there Sunday morning too. I play in an "informal" league on Sunday mornings.

[/quote]
That's great ETM! Another nice thing is you can spend the entire day their practicing/playing/relaxing...you'll definitely get your money's worth. Who did you sign up to take lessons with? TJ, Tom, or Bob?

What day/time is your tour? I may be around and if it's okay I'd like to meet you. I'll be there Sunday morning too. I play in an "informal" league on Sunday mornings.
[/quote]

Hi,

I'm taking a lesson with TJ on Sunday at 12PM. I hoping to take the tour before my lesson; I haven't gotten confirmation yet but I'm assuming it won't be an issue.

I'd be happy to meet up and say hello before or after the lesson. I'm also looking for golf partners or a league to join for next year; I started golfing this summer, and so I have a lot of things to work on, obviously. I figured the winter was as good as time as any to keep working on my swing and game (I didn't take lessons initially because I wasn't sure if I'd take to the game. But I definitely did and now I am forever obsessed...)

LOL...forever obsessed.

That's great about the lessons! Tell TJ I said "Hello!" He's a terrific guy, a great teacher, and a great club fitter. By the way did you know TJ was on Big Break IV, USA vs Europe? He recently fitted me for my new irons.

Harmon has a men's league on Wednesday evenings and our "informal" Sunday morning league would be happy to have you. It's a pool, teams are chosen, and off we go. Teams are chose based on HI so every team has an opportunity to win.

I'll probably be out on the course during your tour and lesson. You'll probably see me. Maybe whoever is giving you the tour will introduce us. :-)

There are a lot of nice people at Harmon. From the beginning golfer to the plus handicapper. And we all have one thing in common: we love the game of golf.

I hope to see you Sunday ETM. Have a great lesson, and enjoy your tour!

cheers --Sean

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

[size="2"]I understand the thread is pretty old, but I'm hoping that other WRXers have some detailed experiences at Harmon in Rockland. I'm scheduling a tour/"member for a day" and wouldn't mind a few perspectives on the amentities. My main hurdles/concerns are its distance from the city (I work until 6:30pm so weekdays will be out), as well as the challenge of the nine hole course. I'd greatly appreciate any input regarding the 9-hole course... I'm kind of going into it thinking it'd be a great place for a majority of my gaming, with a few rounds reserved for courses like Pinehills, Redtail, etc. throughout each month. Looking forward to the feedback![/size]

[quote name='twtolley' timestamp='1337105388' post='4919374']
[size="2"]I understand the thread is pretty old, but I'm hoping that other WRXers have some detailed experiences at Harmon in Rockland. I'm scheduling a tour/"member for a day" and wouldn't mind a few perspectives on the amentities. My main hurdles/concerns are its distance from the city (I work until 6:30pm so weekdays will be out), as well as the challenge of the nine hole course. I'd greatly appreciate any input regarding the 9-hole course... I'm kind of going into it thinking it'd be a great place for a majority of my gaming, with a few rounds reserved for courses like Pinehills, Redtail, etc. throughout each month. Looking forward to the feedback![/size]
[/quote]

I've been a member at Harmon for about 5 years. I'd echo Sean2's comments above on the practice areas, the pros, and the staff - all top notch. In 5 years I can honestly say I've never waited at all to use any of the practice areas at any time of day any time of the week with the exception of a short wait to use the covered hitting areas if you go down there in the middle of a nice winter Sat/Sun.

Since you specifically asked about the 9 hole championship course, I basically use it the way you are thinking about. I play the majority of my golf there, especially early and late in the year when I don't see any reason to pay to play courses that aren't in great shape. In the summer months, when courses in NE are in their best shape I tend to play elsewhere as I do get tired of seeing the same holes.

Something for you to consider based on what you listed as work schedule, I find the layout of the course at Harmon does lend itself to a quick few holes during the week either before work or even after at the time of year it stays light out late. The course is rarely crowded at that time and if I don't have time to play all 9, the first green is near the 6th tee box and I occasionally play 1, 6-9. I've also found since the course is rarely crowded early that I can get 9 holes done in a little over an hour.

How challenging you will find it depends on your skill level I would guess. It certainly doesn't kill you with length although is not the most forgiving place if you aren't hitting it straight on any given day. The greens are pretty fast especially compared to a lot of other courses in the area. A guy hitting it straight and long can shoot a pretty low score there because you won't be hitting long irons into greens. I've never heard any of the 10-20 handicaps I know there call it too easy. I have heard more than a few of the 20+ call it too tight for them.

Hope that helps.

[quote name='dhamz' timestamp='1337192626' post='4925988']
[quote name='twtolley' timestamp='1337105388' post='4919374']
[/quote]

I've been a member at Harmon for about 5 years. I'd echo Sean2's comments above on the practice areas, the pros, and the staff - all top notch. In 5 years I can honestly say I've never waited at all to use any of the practice areas at any time of day any time of the week with the exception of a short wait to use the covered hitting areas if you go down there in the middle of a nice winter Sat/Sun.

Since you specifically asked about the 9 hole championship course, I basically use it the way you are thinking about. I play the majority of my golf there, especially early and late in the year when I don't see any reason to pay to play courses that aren't in great shape. In the summer months, when courses in NE are in their best shape I tend to play elsewhere as I do get tired of seeing the same holes.

Something for you to consider based on what you listed as work schedule, I find the layout of the course at Harmon does lend itself to a quick few holes during the week either before work or even after at the time of year it stays light out late. The course is rarely crowded at that time and if I don't have time to play all 9, the first green is near the 6th tee box and I occasionally play 1, 6-9. I've also found since the course is rarely crowded early that I can get 9 holes done in a little over an hour.

How challenging you will find it depends on your skill level I would guess. It certainly doesn't kill you with length although is not the most forgiving place if you aren't hitting it straight on any given day. The greens are pretty fast especially compared to a lot of other courses in the area. A guy hitting it straight and long can shoot a pretty low score there because you won't be hitting long irons into greens. I've never heard any of the 10-20 handicaps I know there call it too easy. I have heard more than a few of the 20+ call it too tight for them.

Hope that helps.
[/quote]

Thanks so much for the valuable insight!

I was also thinking about the possibility of getting in holes/swings before work on the weekdays, I'm just weary of the return traffic on 93 (I live in Southie and work in Back Bay). I'll have to check the traffic at the times I'd be coming back...

The course sounds great and would lend itself to the outlook of early/late season practice. Is there anyway you could give me an idea the holes? I haven't been able to find a scorecard out there... Again, thanks so much!

As dhamz said, the holes aren't long, but there is a premium on accuracy. There isn't much rough, and a lot of hazards. There is water on every hole. The greens, besides being fast, are firm as well.

If you go around twice:

Black: 6016/70.6/127
Black/Yellow: 5746/69.2/125
Yellow: 5476/67.8/124

You can see it's not long, but if you look at the rating and slope you can also see that it's fairly robust for such a short course.

Hole 1: 350/320
Hole 2: 414/390
Hole 3: 178/150
Hole 4: 342/317
Hole 5: 490/465
Hole 6: 310/285
Hole 7: 142/120
Hole 8: 339/294
Hole 9: 443/397

A lot of people come to the course and see the hole yardages and think it will be an easy course to play. They ignore the slope and rating.

Whatever day you come for your tour, let me know, I may be around and would like to meet you. :-)

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1337215855' post='4928190']
As dhamz said, the holes aren't long, but there is a premium on accuracy. There isn't much rough, and a lot of hazards. There is water on every hole. The greens, besides being fast, are firm as well.

If you go around twice:

Black: 6016/70.6/127
Black/Yellow: 5746/69.2/125
Yellow: 5476/67.8/124

You can see it's not long, but if you look at the rating and slope you can also see that it's fairly robust for such a short course.

Hole 1: 350/320
Hole 2: 414/390
Hole 3: 178/150
Hole 4: 342/317
Hole 5: 490/465
Hole 6: 310/285
Hole 7: 142/120
Hole 8: 339/294
Hole 9: 443/397

A lot of people come to the course and see the hole yardages and think it will be an easy course to play. They ignore the slope and rating.

Whatever day you come for your tour, let me know, I may be around and would like to meet you. :-)
[/quote]

Sean -

Thanks for this! It seems like those yardages (depending on how they're played) would allow you to use the majority of the bag. I played President's Tuesday morning before work and would ponder to say the yardages seem similar. I'd consider joining there, as its extremely close to S. Boston, but I'm not a huge fan of the conditioning and some of the layout seems illogical at times.

I'm waiting to hear back from Harmon about scheduling a tour, but will PM you when I set it up - Thanks again!

You have a lot of choices off the tee TW. And, by playing one set of tees on one 9 and another set off the other, you'll have a lot of opportunities to use all of your clubs.

One other thing, as opposed to Presidents. Harmon is as flat as a table top, so it's very easy to walk, and the distance between holes is very close.

I'll look forward to hearing from you. :-)

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...