2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Pasatiempo Greens

Man In The Miura

...5-putt
I played Pasatiempo from the tips Nov. 19 and had a really good time. The yardage is only about 6500 yards, but some of the holes play very long because of their being uphill. Hole 3 played 239 to the middle, 247 to the pin, uphill, into the wind. It was the first time I'd ever hit driver into a par three. I absolutely nutted it and landed it in the middle, two-putted for par.

Hole 16 was a different story. Par 4, huge green of three levels. The pin was middle, and all the way to the left. I placed a good drive and had 7-iron in. I figured put it in the middle and get outta here. Well, I drew it a little (lefty here), and the wind pushed it a little, and I was all the way on the right side of the green, a little past the hole. When I got to my ball and surveyed the putt, I knew I was going to have a problem. I had to play it for about 20 feet of break right to left and hope. This was about an 80 footer. The putt looked good all the way, and I thought I had hit a miracle shot, but it trickled by on the low side and kept trickling and trickling, down the tier, over the false front, and barely stayed in the collection area 100 feet from the hole. I thought it was a good putt and was about to put the cover on my putter for a tap in, and there I was with another monster up two flights of stairs. So I smack it 90 feet, but I knew it wasn't going to stay. I didn't even move my feet because I knew it was coming right back. It did. The next strike was harder and well to the right of the pin, but long. So I had the same damn trickler that I watched go off the front. I tapped it and left it four feet short. So I had a 4-foot down hiller for a triple. Thank God it went in, because if it didn't I was all the way down below again. CRAZY! My playing parter stifling laughter.

The greens at Pasatiempo were the most difficult I have ever seen, and I've been around a while. I have never misread so many first putts. Looking at the pin sheet, the greens are huge, but only limited portions are actually pinnable. What a challenge. They say Pasatiempo was the inspiration for Augusta... those greens must be doubly nasty.

If you're in the area, you've got to try Pasatiempo. I'm still shivering through cold sweats and nightmares.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a picture of that green as my desktop background. Not sure if it is still available on their website or not. Beautiful picture. I can look at it and see exactly what you were facing on those putts. Wish I could play it but I'm 3,000 miles away.

[i]The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind. -Bob Dylan[/i]
[i]Everything is dust in the wind. -Kansas[/i]

[quote name='Will Par' timestamp='1290652313' post='2807626']
I have a picture of that green as my desktop background. Not sure if it is still available on their website or not. Beautiful picture. I can look at it and see exactly what you were facing on those putts. Wish I could play it but I'm 3,000 miles away.
[/quote]

[attachment=688507:Picture 2.jpg]

I love the place, but remember playing it in the 70s for about 6 bucks when it was a notch above an average public course. I can't bring myself to shell out the current fees of over $200 plus another $60 to rent a cart for two. Over priced IMO. The same thing happened with Harding and Sonoma. Rediscovered and the fees went through the roof. I will play Pasa when a special rate comes up. There are some superb holes.

I love Pasa and I agree with you 100% about the greens. Those greens complexes are the most difficult I've ever played, and I've been around too. I do, however, love them and although borderline ridiculous, I love the challenge of them.

My green horror story is the 3rd hole, the long par 3. Pin was in the front, I nutted my 3W and hit a tremendous shot to the middle of the green. Pin was in the front. As I'm salivating looking at my 15 footer for birdie, I just touch the putt and watch it roll, and roll and roll right off the green. I chip back up, ball checks up and rolls up about 4 feet from the pin, and then rolls back off the green 5 feet past where I just chipped it. I chip long about 10 feet past the hole and had the same putt I just had. Luckily, I made that putt but left the green shaking my head at how impossible it is to not get rewarded for a great strike from the tee.

[quote name='teamyonex' timestamp='1290634851' post='2807154']
I played Pasatiempo from the tips Nov. 19 and had a really good time. The yardage is only about 6500 yards, but some of the holes play very long because of their being uphill. Hole 3 played 239 to the middle, 247 to the pin, uphill, into the wind. It was the first time I'd ever hit driver into a par three. I absolutely nutted it and landed it in the middle, two-putted for par.

Hole 16 was a different story. Par 4, huge green of three levels. The pin was middle, and all the way to the left. I placed a good drive and had 7-iron in. I figured put it in the middle and get outta here. Well, I drew it a little (lefty here), and the wind pushed it a little, and I was all the way on the right side of the green, a little past the hole. When I got to my ball and surveyed the putt, I knew I was going to have a problem. I had to play it for about 20 feet of break right to left and hope. This was about an 80 footer. The putt looked good all the way, and I thought I had hit a miracle shot, but it trickled by on the low side and kept trickling and trickling, down the tier, over the false front, and barely stayed in the collection area 100 feet from the hole. I thought it was a good putt and was about to put the cover on my putter for a tap in, and there I was with another monster up two flights of stairs. So I smack it 90 feet, but I knew it wasn't going to stay. I didn't even move my feet because I knew it was coming right back. It did. The next strike was harder and well to the right of the pin, but long. So I had the same damn trickler that I watched go off the front. I tapped it and left it four feet short. So I had a 4-foot down hiller for a triple. Thank God it went in, because if it didn't I was all the way down below again. CRAZY! My playing parter stifling laughter.

The greens at Pasatiempo were the most difficult I have ever seen, and I've been around a while. I have never misread so many first putts. Looking at the pin sheet, the greens are huge, but only limited portions are actually pinnable. What a challenge. They say Pasatiempo was the inspiration for Augusta... those greens must be doubly nasty.

If you're in the area, you've got to try Pasatiempo. I'm still shivering through cold sweats and nightmares.
[/quote]

I've had that putt, experienced the same feeling and the same result. Great course, great fun.

• 3 months later...

Pasatiempo can be awesome, but a word of caution, their drainage is horrific. Be very careful about playing winter golf at Pasatiempo. I played there in early January on a gorgeous day but shortly after a good storm. The greens were pretty much unplayable with standing water forming around your feet almost everywhere. I was real surprised as I live in the area and other courses were fine. It has been dumping around here NorCal lately, so be cautious about setting a tee time until things dry out... at least call ahead.

• 2 months later...