2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

SPLIT GRIP!!

welok22

Listen to this
Ok guys here is kind of a different question. Has anybody ever seen or know of a golfer that uses a SPLIT GRIP and by that I mean Ty Cobb like?? I played golf with a guy that uses this kind of grip and HOLY COW he was good. Though it look very awkward, this guy made solid contact all day long. he told me that it helped him keep the ball straight and he actually GAINED distance with all clubs. Pretty cool. It was new to me. It just shows how funny this game is and how different we all play it. Oh yeah this guy is a 2.1 Handicap....

I switched to a ten finger grip last year. Tried it as a lark one evening bored on the range. Straightened out my hook which was really a surprise. Lost about 5 yds on my drives, I assume because of a shorter effective shaft length. I play to a five handicap and have a 104 driver swing speed. Not sure what I will use this spring.

The most unorthodox thing I have seen was the guy on the nationwide tour that has a left hand low grip. It looks super hard to swing the club like that. Gotta be so flexible. However, that guy is good enough to get on the nationwide tour so he can flat out play.

Also, 2 gloves Tommy Gainey uses a 10 finger grip. He rips it. Don't think it is split grip. I haven't seen one of those.

• 2 months later...

Sorry about digging up an old post but I just came across this. I was working with the split grip drill to improve my release with my driver at the start of the season and couldn't believe how well I hit the ball. So I have been using about a 1 inch split grip with my driver since. My misses are in play and my solid strikes are definitely longer and straighter. It may not look pretty but it works.

I got paired with a guy last summer who used a split grip. There was probably 1 to 2 handwiths between his hands. And he was a lefty to boot. He claimed he was a former minor league baseball player and his ingrained baseball stroke led to slicing with a conventional grip.

He didn't hit it far, but he was consistently straight. It seemed like the split grip really locked in his swing plane. Ironically I saw the link below featured on another topic earlier today. The theory behind the product seems to tie with the benefits of the split grip.

[url="http://www.swingmagic.com/"]http://www.swingmagic.com/[/url]

I tried this a little too this spring when I was slicing horridly (former baseball player too) and I really did hit it so much straighter. That grip forces you to get the clubhead square. It is a little hard to hit the ball at first, but you can definitely hit it straight. Might be useful in a tight fairway when you just need to put the ball down the middle. I have since figure out how to get a little more consistent with my hands together in an interlock grip but it did get me feeling the hands rotating through the ball. No more wicked slice, but there is still a strong fade now and again. I originally saw a video on youtube that talked about curing the slice and they used the split grip. That's how I came upon it.

I use a split grip. Play a +1 handicap , despite these last few weeks with a overly strong grip.

Tried tinkering with a reverse overlap grip for a little bit .. but the split grip allows me to have superb ball striking and control.

2wn5vec.jpg

I believe that that Jimmy Ballard used the split grip drill decades ago.Slicefixer and Dan Whittaker use it as a drill to teach the proper swing plane,but I have never heard of a player at your level using it successfully.What problems were you trying to correct before using this grip?Does this grip cut down on distance?

I use a split grip. Play a +1 handicap , despite these last few weeks with a overly strong grip.

Tried tinkering with a reverse overlap grip for a little bit .. but the split grip allows me to have superb ball striking and control.

2wn5vec.jpg

I believe that that Jimmy Ballard used the split grip drill decades ago.Slicefixer and Dan Whittaker use it as a drill to teach the proper swing plane,but I have never heard of a player at your level using it successfully.What problems were you trying to correct before using this grip?Does this grip cut down on distance?

Russ can you elaborate on using this drill to teach proper swing plane? TIA.

2wn5vec.jpg

Dan gives an example and an explanation in an internet lesson14:30-17:40 at his new website danwhittakergolf.com.If you you need an inferior explanation to that of Dan,i will happy to comply

2wn5vec.jpg

Dan gives an example and an explanation in an internet lesson14:30-17:40 at his new website danwhittakergolf.com.If you you need an inferior explanation to that of Dan,i will happy to comply

To get another opinion of the split grip drill, search for split grip drill on Golfwrx and read TE Connors post.Te Connor is one the best non-collegiate amateurs who currently see Slicefixer.I have learned mucho about the Slicefixer swing from his posts.

As always thanks Russ.

I had some big aha moments today at the range using this drill.

Done at half speed taking practice swings, it really synced up my arms and body.

It seemed to help everything. My backswing improved. It forced me to lead the downswing with the lower body. And it seemed to help me stay down on the shot and hold my spine angle. It's almost as if it forces you to make a sound swing if you do it do it slowly and smoothly.

What I did was take 3 slow, smooth practice swings with a split grip trying to soak in the feeling. Then I'd just step to the ball with a normal grip and take an easy swing. Important to note that on that last swing I tried to forget what I was soaking in on the practice swings and just focus on making solid contact. It's easy to start following the clubhead back with your eyes and forget about the ball.

Anyhow I'm going to continue to work on it. It really is a great drill to use as a practice swing for getting everything synced up.

HTH

I spent the entire day at the range. Very therapeutic. :)

Anyhow, I ended up experimenting with using a split grip for full shots and i was really happy with the results.

What I did wad take my normal, strong left hand grip then place my right hand on almost to the bottom of the grip near the metal shaft.

I'm normally a horrific ballstriker and my lowpoint is all over the place. But with the split grip I was able to make consistent contact... better than I ever have before.

I was even able to hit my driver off the deck which is something I would never even attempt normally.

Im almost hesitant to go back for fear of losing it but I was literally out there 6 or 7 hours hitting balls and experimenting with variations of the split grip and I was able to repeat the solid contact and ballflight.

So can anyone suggest a reason why a split grip would have such a profound effect? Are my hands that weak?

It's really strange.

the split grip simply allows for more control and forces your clubface to be square at contact. Like what was forementioned, the greatest hitter average wise all time in baseball used a split grip. You cannot help but square the clubface near the ball, resulting in a much straighter ball flight.

How was your distance effected?

[quote name='midweston' timestamp='1304343581' post='3201622']
the split grip simply allows for more control and forces your clubface to be square at contact. Like what was forementioned, the greatest hitter average wise all time in baseball used a split grip. You cannot help but square the clubface near the ball, resulting in a much straighter ball flight.

How was your distance effected?
[/quote]

Well in my case it's longer, on average, because I'm hitting the ball more consistently.

• 2 months later...

yea former college baseball player here ..... also had that whole slice problem when I got introduced to Golf.

Went to the Split Finger grip and I actually pinch my index finger and thumbs on both hands ( which somehow implants a vision of where the clubface is during my whole backswing and where I want it to be at impact) then lay club the off and swing away

solid everytime.

• 11 years later...

I'm aware of the split hand grip drill which is a very dramatic split hand swing that I would never even consider taking out on the course. What I'm talking about is a 3 - 4 inch split of the 10 finger grip which I read on another golf forum gave some golfers a combination of both power and control.

Does anyone here, who plays with a 10 finger grip, split their hands by a couple of inches?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and Happy Labor Day!

My son (scratch) uses the interlock grip on all shots except pitching and chips inside 50 yds. He then uses a 10 finger grip with about an inch split.

He started doing this about 5-6 years ago when he was a 3-4 cap. This method shored up his short game and he gets it close enough I can't remember the last time he 3- putted when missing a green.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 9/5/2022 at 6:39 PM, Ghostwedge said:

My son (scratch) uses the interlock grip on all shots except pitching and chips inside 50 yds. He then uses a 10 finger grip with about an inch split.

He started doing this about 5-6 years ago when he was a 3-4 cap. This method shored up his short game and he gets it close enough I can't remember the last time he 3- putted when missing a green.

Old post, but I do this as well. Its pretty solid from 70 in. It makes your low point extremely consistent,  which is paramount to good chipping/pitching

• Like 1