2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Classic Golf and Golfers Spring 2011 Tournament

drewspin

Any interest ?
Here's an idea that might be fun: A Classic Golf and Golfers Spring 2011 virtual tournament.

Let's pick a Spring day (or weekend) on which we would each go out play a round at the course of our choosing using classic clubs. We can establish some basic ground rules for what constitutes classic equipment, and basic rules for how the tournament would work (no entry fees, of course). If there is enough interest, anyone else who is motivated can join me in finding a few classic prize(s) to be given away.

What say you?

If there is interest, we can start on the basic rules.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds cool.

Just a few thoughts on rules...to get the discussion started and rolling:

Woods...not hard to come up with rules here...got to be persimmon or laminated.
Pre 1970?

Irons...forged, pre-1975?

I think Buttonback Wilsons from early 1970's are classic.

Wedges, no 60 degree wedges!

Putters...do you say it has to be pre 1975?
...someone with a Ping Anser or Ping Pal from the early 1970's should be able to play it.

Metal spikes.

Balata balls, if you can find them?

What does everyone think?

Lawson

TM M2 driver (2016)
TM M2 3 and 5 woods (2017)
PXG 19 degree
Mizuno MP 25, 4-9 (about to change)
Miura CB-57 PW
Miura wedges, 53 and 59, Y grind
1964/5 Wilson 8813

I think setting restrictions of clubs need to be more lenient. I know some Persimmon tournaments like the one held in Vegas in Jan are really strict on their rules and don't allow any persimmons that were made after the late 70s I believe, but I think any persimmon head would be good for our outing, but I'm open to what others think. Personally I'd like to play on that was made in the 80s. I'd say anything produced in the 80s would be ok. I'm gonna try to hook up with Persimmonpal and see if he would like to do this as well, i'm sure he would. We could play together. The ball would be something we should try to standardize on.

I have played in several of these events and the equipment rules need to be broad:

1) Irons: no cavity backs, blades only, no square grooves.
2) Wedges: no square grooves, max stamped loft = 56*
3) Woods: must be made of wood, persimmon or laminate. No hybrids, but Gintys are permitted).
4) Shafts: steel, aluminum or hickory.
5) Putters: must be a classic design. No long putters, no belly putters. Playing partners may veto any putter not agreed to be a "classic."
6) Ball: Soft cover high spin ball recommended.
7) WALKING. No carts without a valid medical excuse.
8) TAKING A CADDY is ENCOURAGED.

I'm definitely interested.

My understanding is that wound balls would actually lose distance sitting on the shelf. How about naming a few designated tournament balls (and, of course, leaving players the option of gaming wound balls if they so choose)?

Perhaps we should specify an ideal course length (with some sort of scaling factor for mountain elevations), so that participants can play from the tees nearest this length.

I like the idea of keeping the rules broad and avoiding date restrictions. A block of wood is a block of wood--in fact, it's generally believed that the wood itself was better 50 years ago. Similarly, I like the idea of leaving the definition of permitted irons at "forged blades." Plenty of recent blades are heavily influenced by classic designs, and will undoubtedly be viewed as classics years from now. I can't imagine Hogan, Snead or Armour thumbing his nose at a set of '99 Apex, FG59, or 1025M irons.

No hybrids, unless you're willing to put a 19th-century (or reproduction) longnose into play. And for the love of all that is good, no long putters.

I move we ban my least favorite feature of the modern game--the cart. Unless they are handicapped or the course management mandates cart use, players must carry their clubs or take a caddy.

Drew, I notice you're in DC--any course ideas? I've found that Hampshire Greens is amazing with classic gear--too bad the course is routed through a thicket of McMansions and it's half a mile from each green to the next tee.

[quote name='professor_doom' timestamp='1297388941' post='2967319']
I'm definitely interested.

My understanding is that wound balls would actually lose distance sitting on the shelf. How about naming a few designated tournament balls (and, of course, leaving players the option of gaming wound balls if they so choose)?

Perhaps we should specify an ideal course length (with some sort of scaling factor for mountain elevations), so that participants can play from the tees nearest this length.

I like the idea of keeping the rules broad and avoiding date restrictions. A block of wood is a block of wood--in fact, it's generally believed that the wood itself was better 50 years ago. Similarly, I like the idea of leaving the definition of permitted irons at "forged blades." Plenty of recent blades are heavily influenced by classic designs, and will undoubtedly be viewed as classics years from now. I can't imagine Hogan, Snead or Armour thumbing his nose at a set of '99 Apex, FG59, or 1025M irons.

No hybrids, unless you're willing to put a 19th-century (or reproduction) longnose into play. And for the love of all that is good, no long putters.

I move we ban my least favorite feature of the modern game--the cart. Unless they are handicapped or the course management mandates cart use, players must carry their clubs or take a caddy.

Drew, I notice you're in DC--any course ideas? I've found that Hampshire Greens is amazing with classic gear--too bad the course is routed through a thicket of McMansions and it's half a mile from each green to the next tee.
[/quote]

Excellent! I've amended my rules above.

The last time I set up a vintage gear event, we played Congressional's Blue Course. TALK ABOUT AWESOME!!

One course I have enjoyed playing from time to time and one that screams out for a classic clubs event (because the whole place is a throw back to the 1950's) is Cacapon Resort in West Virginia. The course there is a wonderfully wakable Robert Trent Jones timeless course, and no McMansions for miles. Not always in top condition, but it is a hell of a lot of fun. Might even be able to wear real spikes, I don't know. Golf is a bargain there.

The other place we may be able to play with a small group, which would also be a PERFECT vintage clubs track is Manor Country Club. I have a connection there.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe I'm to late noticing this, but I would really like to do it if enough folks will join in. I live in the DC area as well.
I like the rules ideas:
Persimmon
Pre-80's irons, no 60 degree wedges
No long or belly putters I could use my 8802 because I still do. (lol).
Got some old balls in the basement I let the dog chase. Some of them are turning yellow.
Got old shoes with 'spikes'
We'd have to try to play a length that existed then.
For DC area people what about the Hain's Point Yacht Club? ( A public course run by the US Park Service.) It's NOT a Yacht Club. It is a muni that could resemble a links course in Scotland if allowed to grow that way. I asked someone once why not? Got this dreadful look as he asked me how long I thought rounds would take if it really was 'fixed' that way. I got the picture. But, anywhere would be fine for me.
A friend of mine plays each year in a tournament somehere in Ohio where they actually play with reproductions of 19th century clubs. He says it's a hoot and no one is driving the ball 3,000 yards off the tee!
I'm going to go do this and then go back and use my modern stuff. Be interesting to see the difference. Hmmmm, 43 in.Wood Bros. Texan or MacGregor Driver with S300 steel vs Ping G-15 with 45 in. Graphite. No wonder I'm still hitting it as far as I used to. Ha!