2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Time to Practice?

[quote name='mnplayer' timestamp='1299561989' post='3035870']
I am a sophmore and some of the stuff in this thread is unbelievable. There is a difference between finding out what kind of stuff was on the test (not the exact questions, just do I need to know blah blah blah etc.) and splitting up the homework. Really, you do the math and your friends do the history/science etc. ridiculous. When we don't have practice I go right after school and hit balls or play 9 or both till about 7 30 ish when it gets dark and then Ii go home and do all my homework (by myself btw)
[/quote]
You're right; a lot of it is unbelievable. I have classes with some people in my study center and we can even work together on some of the stuff together, and it usually helps a lot. Giving me more time to practice usually.

Cleveland CG Black 265 Driver TaylorMade R7 3 Wood Callaway XHot Hybrid Callaway Diablo Edge Irons Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='mnplayer' timestamp='1299620955' post='3037747']
Big difference between working together on an assingment and just splitting up all the homework for that day.
[/quote]

I would like to clarify that I didnt mean that I literally say you do science I do math and we will give them to eachother. I meant like, two questions I didnt get on an assignment Ill get from a friend, or vice versa. And the comment on getting info from friends for tests, I dont literally get exact questions, I just ask if it was hard and what to generally expect. Still not be morally right for some, but it's helpful regardless and I dont see a reason not to.

Big difference between working together on an assingment and just splitting up all the homework for that day.

I would like to clarify that I didnt mean that I literally say you do science I do math and we will give them to eachother. I meant like, two questions I didnt get on an assignment Ill get from a friend, or vice versa. And the comment on getting info from friends for tests, I dont literally get exact questions, I just ask if it was hard and what to generally expect. Still not be morally right for some, but it's helpful regardless and I dont see a reason not to.

I'm with you here. I shouldn't have said "you do the chem, and ill do the history." Its more like what TGutHHSGolfer is saying. you should just listen to him... wink.gif... I'm going to stop writing in this thread before I say something stupid again. blush.gif My apologies everyone... You, freshprince99, have taught me a lesson on how to act on an online golf forum. thanks. vava.gif

I'm with you here. I shouldn't have said "you do the chem, and ill do the history." Its more like what TGutHHSGolfer is saying. you should just listen to him... wink.gif... I'm going to stop writing in this thread before I say something stupid again. blush.gif My apologies everyone... You, freshprince99, have taught me a lesson on how to act on an online golf forum. thanks. vava.gif

no hard feelings hititbig.

drinks.gif

Not sure if this is what you mean, but as Sean Foley explained, he has Tiger not hitting a certain club 20 time in a row, then switching to another club. As Foley explained (in one or more interviews he's given since becoming Tiger's new coach), you would never in a tournament ever be in the position to hit the same club twice, rarely, "so why do it on the range?" Sean's position seems to feel that yea, if you hit a bad shot you can probably fix it with your 2nd, 3rd, or 4th attempt....but you don't get multiple attempts to hit a good shot in a tournament. So he explained that he feels you have to practice hitting a driver, then perhaps a 7 iron, then a wedge, then back to driver, 4-iron, wedge, etc.... to get into the practice mode where you only have 1 shot, and you have to pull it off each time. That's a lot of club switching, lol.

[quote name='Eag1e' timestamp='1299691578' post='3040142']
Homeschool was the answer for me. Only have two hours of work per day and I can put the rest toward working out and practicing. I also maintain straight A+'s with a few 100%'s even with as little work as I have to do.

:}

[b]If I may ask, can you link me to Tiger's routine, or explain it?[/b]
[/quote]

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

You kids cant tell me that getting a 3.8 gpa at public school while being lazy is good. When you get to college you cant even believe how different is. I got a 4.1 gpa just by passing in hw (which i did). I then went to prep school on aid and my 4.1 is now 3.5. Instead of doing little homwork, i now have to do over 4 hours a night. Its crazy, the level of work is so different. You cant think a 3.8 gpa is good! You need to base your resume with other things. Being real, we/you arnt going to osu or stanford on a golf scholorship. You NEED to do more than just the minimum in school or you arnt going anywhere.

The point is not putting yall down, just saying you need to excel in school. You cant cheat and not do the work, how can you feel good with the 3.8 gpa? You can always do better.

[quote name='jbrunone' timestamp='1299711958' post='3041576']
You kids cant tell me that getting a 3.8 gpa at public school while being lazy is good. When you get to college you cant even believe how different is. I got a 4.1 gpa just by passing in hw (which i did). I then went to prep school on aid and my 4.1 is now 3.5. Instead of doing little homwork, i now have to do over 4 hours a night. Its crazy, the level of work is so different. You cant think a 3.8 gpa is good! You need to base your resume with other things. [b][size="3"]Being real, we/you arnt going to osu or stanford on a golf scholorship[/size].[/b] You NEED to do more than just the minimum in school or you arnt going anywhere.

The point is not putting yall down, just saying you need to excel in school. You cant cheat and not do the work, how can you feel good with the 3.8 gpa? You can always do better.
[/quote]

Who are you to say that one of us can't go to a big D1 college on a scholarship?

[quote name='hititbig2112' timestamp='1299714925' post='3041740']
[quote name='jbrunone' timestamp='1299711958' post='3041576']
You kids cant tell me that getting a 3.8 gpa at public school while being lazy is good. When you get to college you cant even believe how different is. I got a 4.1 gpa just by passing in hw (which i did). I then went to prep school on aid and my 4.1 is now 3.5. Instead of doing little homwork, i now have to do over 4 hours a night. Its crazy, the level of work is so different. You cant think a 3.8 gpa is good! You need to base your resume with other things. [b][size="3"]Being real, we/you arnt going to osu or stanford on a golf scholorship[/size].[/b] You NEED to do more than just the minimum in school or you arnt going anywhere.

[/quote]

Who are you to say that one of us can't go to a big D1 college on a scholarship?
[/quote]

Haha, I think I can safely say i will not be going to either of those schools with a scholarship.. Unless I seriously kick some you know what this year. :cheesy:

O boy here come the egos and "don't let anyone ever ruin your dreams or tell you what you can't do"

Unless you are top 20-30 in ajga ranking you are not going to a big school like standford/oklahoma state etc.

The number 1 golfer in my state (IN) is going to stanford but he is also ranked 5th in the world for jrs. 1st out of 581 in his class and a 2 time state champ.

[quote name='StudentGolfer4' timestamp='1299720422' post='3042042']
O boy here come the egos and "don't let anyone ever ruin your dreams or tell you what you can't do"

Unless you are top 20-30 in ajga ranking you are not going to a big school like standford/oklahoma state etc.

The number 1 golfer in my state (IN) is going to stanford but he is also ranked 5th in the world for jrs. 1st out of 581 in his class and a 2 time state champ.
[/quote]

Ok, nothing to say about egos. But..... "Don't let anyone ever ruin your dreams"...... Whats wrong with dreaming big? We all have dreams. What about you StudentGolfer4, if you had the dream of becoming a PGA tour pro, and some one told you that there's no way in hell you'll make it, what would you do? You'd probably work your rear off to try and prove them wrong. I wont tell you my goals, because I will get trashed for telling them to everyone. But I know that I will work as hard a I possibly can to achieve them. I think I'm speaking for anyone with a dream when I say that no dream is unachievable. Its all about how much you want it. You've got to want it bad.

And to jbrurone: I've been talking with the Gonzaga (192) and Idaho (66) golf coaches for some time now. Not top 10 golf schools, but I see them as a good start, seeing as I'm only a junior.

:tease: [quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1299289177' post='3026829']
Hey guys, I'm a freshman in varsity for Las Lomas High School golf team, currently a 3.6 handicap (trying really hard to be modest....) and I have a question. How do you practice for a long time every day without school catching up with you? I've found out Tiger Woods' daily practice schedule, and I'm extremely dedicating myself to outwork him even with school in the way. But the rest of my friends say if I do that, my grades will all be F's. Can you recommend something without canceling out the practice schedule? What do you think I should do?
[/quote]
if u want to practice swing technique, swing in front of the mirror if u cant be at the golf course. If u are working on scoring, spend most of your time on the course hitting different ball flights and shots, and a lot of shortgame. This way, technique at home, scoring on the course

[quote name='bulls9999' timestamp='1299702789' post='3041009']
Not sure if this is what you mean, but as Sean Foley explained, he has Tiger not hitting a certain club 20 time in a row, then switching to another club. As Foley explained (in one or more interviews he's given since becoming Tiger's new coach), you would never in a tournament ever be in the position to hit the same club twice, rarely, "so why do it on the range?" Sean's position seems to feel that yea, if you hit a bad shot you can probably fix it with your 2nd, 3rd, or 4th attempt....but you don't get multiple attempts to hit a good shot in a tournament. So he explained that he feels you have to practice hitting a driver, then perhaps a 7 iron, then a wedge, then back to driver, 4-iron, wedge, etc.... to get into the practice mode where you only have 1 shot, and you have to pull it off each time. That's a lot of club switching, lol.

[quote name='Eag1e' timestamp='1299691578' post='3040142']
Homeschool was the answer for me. Only have two hours of work per day and I can put the rest toward working out and practicing. I also maintain straight A+'s with a few 100%'s even with as little work as I have to do.

:}

[b]If I may ask, can you link me to Tiger's routine, or explain it?[/b]
[/quote]
[/quote]

worst solution possible is homeschool, it'll make u feel like a loner

To say that I never copied homework in high school would be a lie. I'm a sophomore in college now. Do I wish I would've worked harder in high school? You're damn right I do. I did well in high school (graduated 4th in my class of 300). I never played on the golf team even though I was, and still am, an avid golfer. To think that you are going to be the next Tiger Woods is absolutely absurd. I was really good at golf... or so I thought. Then I played a round with some guys that were getting scholarships to D-1 schools. At my home course I used to be around a +3. I will say this: a +3 at your home course is different from a +3 at all others with 1-2 practice rounds. We kinda turned it into a stroke play match. I shot +6 and the other two guys fired -4 and -5. Unbelievable.

Get your priorities straight. School before golf. And for God sakes, stop bragging; about your index and cheating on your school work. No one cares about what you did in high school golf. Go play on the AJGA and see if you can hold your medal out there.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1299289177' post='3026829']
Hey guys, I'm a freshman in varsity for Las Lomas High School golf team, currently a 3.6 handicap (trying really hard to be modest....) and I have a question. How do you practice for a long time every day without school catching up with you? I've found out Tiger Woods' daily practice schedule, and I'm extremely dedicating myself to outwork him even with school in the way. But the rest of my friends say if I do that, my grades will all be F's. Can you recommend something without canceling out the practice schedule? What do you think I should do?
[/quote]

Sorry for bringing back a dead thread but i just find this hilarious. This kid goes to my school, and he's the worst kid on varsity, barely breaks 90 on his best day and he isn't even on the starting six. It's just amazing to see how disgustingly braggadocios some people will get when they're at the keyboard. Jeez...

But if anyone out there is looking at this thread still to get help with juggling homework and practice time then although it's a grind, working ahead is always a great way to go. If you can't golf one day or you have a light homework load, get your butt on blackboard and get a headstart on the next night's homework

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='bulls9999' timestamp='1299549931' post='3035054']
[b]This is you, n'est-ce pa[size="7"]S[/size]? Nice buck. I couldn't resist. :yahoo:
[/b]
(photo removed out of courtesy).

[quote name='hititbig2112' timestamp='1299543492' post='3034577']
[b][size="4"]Ooooh... do tell. What exactly [i]do[/i] you know about me?
[/size][/b][/quote]
[/quote]

Coming from another lazy high school student who gets A's but doesn't give a rats a**.

Edit: Can't believe nobody corrected your French earlier. I guess there's perks to being a crappy golfer but top 5 in the state in French test results...and top 30 in the nation.

TaylorMade Stealth 9* | PX HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 70g 6.5

Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour 3W | Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 70 S

Titleist TSi3 Hybrid 18* & 20* (lofted to 22*) | PX HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 80g 6.0

Titleist T200 5-GW | KBS C-Taper Lite S

Titleist Vokey SM8 50* (Bent to 51*) | KBS C-Taper Lite S

Callaway PM Grind 58*

EVNROLL ER2 34" | Chromesoft X LS

Easy......pay attention while in class. Probably 90% of what you hear in lecture is what will show up on the test. At least in my experience from when I was in school.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

• 3 months later...

During Water polo season and swimming i would be so tired after the practices i wouldn't do homework at home. I would bring a lunch from my house and then go to the library and do all my homework. If I still had some remaining it would be very minimal. But now I never get any homework, because my school changed the grading scale so teachers dont even give it out, its all just test grades.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='StudentGolfer4' timestamp='1299472697' post='3032322']
I am a high school sr but I'm going to have to agree with pulls on this one.
Copying someone elses homework is still plagiarism because you are passing off their work as your own.

If you guys are so smart and schools comes easily then why don't you have a 4.0 and are the top in your class?

To say golf is a bigger priority than school is so dumb. Being the valedictorian would be much better than being a D1 golfer with a 3.8
[/quote]

You can't really say being the valedictorian would be better than being a D1 golfer. That is in the eye of the beholder. IF someone truly loves golf than playing on the mini tours barley making ends meet would be much better than being a multimillionaire.

Every free hour you can find, be out on the course, whether it is playing or practicing. Try doing some homework and a little bit of studying during your lunch period at school. You may have to give up going out with friends every once in a while to work on your game. You have to work the hardest if you want to be the best.

• 1 month later...

Ok so im a sophmore in highschool and right now with it being hockey season ( until the 17th then golf) wahooo. Heres my game night schedule , get home from hockey at 11 and study until 2 and get up the next moring at 545 . Would it be easier to cheat yes would i cheat never used to do that but it felt wrong so i stopped . But i can agree with someone on the test . Sometimes it helps to know the format i do much better on multiple choice tests than free response and usually thats the extent of my asking . This is because my brain as it hears something rembers . Also if you show work ethic in the classroom it will help out out . Im not the smartest kid out there 3.1-3.2 but i take prode that my grades are MY grades and i earned them

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @_aaron_wilson