2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Time to Practice?

How do you practice for a long time without bad grades catching up?
Hey guys, I'm a freshman in varsity for Las Lomas High School golf team, currently a 3.6 handicap (trying really hard to be modest....) and I have a question. How do you practice for a long time every day without school catching up with you? I've found out Tiger Woods' daily practice schedule, and I'm extremely dedicating myself to outwork him even with school in the way. But the rest of my friends say if I do that, my grades will all be F's. Can you recommend something without canceling out the practice schedule? What do you think I should do?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id say during the school year itll be tougher to practice like tiger. His regimen is so demanding from what Ive heard. What you can do though is make your own schedule. Say if you get out of school at 3 and you can be at the course by 3:30 then you could hit balls for an hour work on your short game for an hour and putt for an hour. Thats a good 3 hr practice home by 7 then you can eat while doing home work the rest of the night. Or if you have a lot of HW you could work out at home for an hour or two so you have more time to get school done. This is what i do. During the summer though its a lot different. 7 hrs a day practicing or playing or playing in tournys is always better than 7 hrs a day at school

During school I practice most everyday after school (Unfortunately, I cant play for most of the winter, but in the spring...). Starting at 4:00 I usually have time for a quick nine, where I drop 2 or 3 balls and practice different shots, short game for an hour/hour & half, then I hit range balls until the sun goes down. I get home around 8:00-9:00 and eat some food, and hit the books. I usually don't have too much homework (not usually more than an hours worth). So I can usually get 4-5 hours worth of practice in. I manage to keep a GPA of around 3.5-3.6 and a HDCP of around +1.5....(I'm glad my handicap is the lowest of the two!!).. Next year though, it will be a different story. I'm taking an early morning class at 7:30 and getting out at 12:00. That means course by 12:30 and practice for 8-9 hours!!!!!!!diablo.gif

Maybe Im just naturally smart (this is not to brag) but Im the most lazy kid in the world when it comes to schoolwork, but get A's. I spend so much time that I could be doing homework, thinking of how I can get it done at school the day it's due, or just do it right when it's handed out. And Im sure theres plenty of things, if you have good friends, you can get answers from friends. I don't have homework outside of big projects or stuff that has to be typed, EVER. Haven't done a second of homework since the school year started, and I have a 3.8 GPA.

As long as you take the time your teacher gives you to do homework in class rather than talking to kids, you can probably get 90% or more of it done, that's what I do, then more time to golf!

[quote name='hititbig2112' timestamp='1299372354' post='3029027']
+1... I always say, (in school) if your not cheating, your not trying!!! LOL. Just kidding there, but friends are a great source, no doubt about that!!
[/quote]

Its the totally honest truth, couldn't get by without my friends and what not. Learning whats on a test from someone who took it earlier in the day, or if the teacher collects the homework.

Not trying to pick a fight, but If that's how you apply yourself, golf should be the least of your worries.

Not sure if you realize how many students in college are getting caught for plagiarizing (that's copying something that someone else wrote). It's very easy to request written assignments to be submitted by file over the net and using the entire document to search the net, or past collected homeworks, with programs that are now provided to professors by their university, to identify portions that are identical and assigning a score for how much is identical whereby it is considered copied/plagiarized past a certain level. A score of "F!", called an "F-shriek" is not just an "F", but a "cheating F". A bunch of files (submitted by individuals in the class) can be collectively submitted....it's done routinely by various professors.....and there's no defense when caught.

Sorry.... I must have confused this thread with the one about wanting to play college golf.

[quote name='TGutHHSGolfer' timestamp='1299372651' post='3029038']
+1... I always say, (in school) if your not cheating, your not trying!!! LOL. Just kidding there, but friends are a great source, no doubt about that!!
[/quote]

Its the totally honest truth, couldn't get by without my friends and what not. Learning whats on a test from someone who took it earlier in the day, or if the teacher collects the homework.
[/quote]

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

[quote name='bulls9999' timestamp='1299378971' post='3029278']
Not trying to pick a fight, but If that's how you apply yourself, golf should be the least of your worries.

Not sure if you realize how many students in college are getting caught for plagiarizing (that's copying something that someone else wrote). It's very easy to request written assignments to be submitted by file over the net and using the entire document to search the net, or past collected homeworks, with programs that are now provided to professors by their university, to identify portions that are identical and assigning a score for how much is identical whereby it is considered copied/plagiarized past a certain level. A score of "F!", called an "F-shriek" is not just an "F", but a "cheating F". A bunch of files (submitted by individuals in the class) can be collectively submitted....it's done routinely by various professors.....and there's no defense when caught.

Sorry.... I must have confused this thread with the one about wanting to play college golf.

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Well fortunately I do not cheat on essays, like I said in an earlier post, I do those by myself, so that shouldn't be a problem. And I apply myself plenty, you don't know anything about me except that I do all of my homework at school rather than at home, and I occasionally get help from friends on a homework assignment. I see nothing wrong with that, I have his consent for it, and I will never be in trouble for it.

-Thank you, best of luck, Tommy

Now back to the real thread..

[quote name='TGutHHSGolfer' timestamp='1299382245' post='3029417']
[quote name='bulls9999' timestamp='1299378971' post='3029278']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Well fortunately I do not cheat on essays, like I said in an earlier post, I do those by myself, so that shouldn't be a problem. And I apply myself plenty, you don't know anything about me except that I do all of my homework at school rather than at home, and I occasionally get help from friends on a homework assignment. I see nothing wrong with that, I have his consent for it, and I will never be in trouble for it.

-Thank you, best of luck, Tommy

Now back to the real thread..
[/quote]

Same here. You know nothing about us.. Its not like we don't care about school. Like TGut said, I just do all of my homework in school, and my friends and I help each other on our assignments. One of us will do the chemistry, and someone else with do the history. I know how to do all of the assignments, we just help each other out. There is nothing wrong with that. I would never copy someones essay. With the creation of turnitin.com they have put an end to all of that. So that being said, my golf game IS my biggest priority and thanks for your concern.... NOT!!! I just don't need to try all that hard to get good grades in school.

I am a high school sr but I'm going to have to agree with pulls on this one.
Copying someone elses homework is still plagiarism because you are passing off their work as your own.

If you guys are so smart and schools comes easily then why don't you have a 4.0 and are the top in your class?

To say golf is a bigger priority than school is so dumb. Being the valedictorian would be much better than being a D1 golfer with a 3.8

sorry, but the responses on here bragging about cheating are ridiculous. first of all, to the individual who said "[color=#1C2837][size=2]Maybe Im just naturally smart (this is not to brag) but Im the most lazy kid in the world when it comes to schoolwork, but get A's" who followed it up with "[/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2]Its the totally honest truth, couldn't get by without my friends and what not. Learning whats on a test from someone who took it earlier in the day". so you go from claiming to be naturally smart, to admitting that you achieved those grades by cheating. you might have an A or two on your report card, but you most certainly didn't earn it.[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]second of all, to the individual who said "[/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2]Same here. You know nothing about us.. Its not like we don't care about school. Like TGut said, I just do all of my homework in school, and my friends and I help each other on our assignments. One of us will do the chemistry, and someone else with do the history. I know how to do all of the assignments, we just help each other out. There is nothing wrong with that". there is a lot wrong with that, you are cheating to avoid doing the work. as far as "not knowing you", i know a lot more about you and people like you than you think.[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]cheating is wrong, and all it displays is a lack of character. you two ought to be ashamed of yourselves. you can justify it to yourselves all you want, but you cant justify it to me.[/size][/color]

[quote name='freshprince99' timestamp='1299473162' post='3032342']
sorry, but the responses on here bragging about cheating are ridiculous. first of all, to the individual who said "[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]Maybe Im just naturally smart (this is not to brag) but Im the most lazy kid in the world when it comes to schoolwork, but get A's" who followed it up with "[/size][/color][color="#1C2837"][size="2"]Its the totally honest truth, couldn't get by without my friends and what not. Learning whats on a test from someone who took it earlier in the day". so you go from claiming to be naturally smart, to admitting that you achieved those grades by cheating. you might have an A or two on your report card, but you most certainly didn't earn it.[/size][/color]
[color="#1C2837"] [/color]
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]second of all, to the individual who said "[/size][/color][color="#1C2837"][size="2"]Same here. You know nothing about us.. Its not like we don't care about school. Like TGut said, I just do all of my homework in school, and my friends and I help each other on our assignments. One of us will do the chemistry, and someone else with do the history. I know how to do all of the assignments, we just help each other out. There is nothing wrong with that". there is a lot wrong with that, you are cheating to avoid doing the work. as far as "not knowing you", i know a lot more about you and people like you than you think.[/size][/color]
[color="#1C2837"] [/color]
[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]cheating is wrong, and all it displays is a lack of character. you two ought to be ashamed of yourselves. you can justify it to yourselves all you want, but you cant justify it to me.[/size][/color]
[/quote]

Ooooh... do tell. What exactly [i]do[/i] you know about me?

I am also a high school student. I understand the work load that we're all given and having a practice schedule like some of the professionals is quite un-realistic for us. Because for them, golf is their job. Right now for us, school is our first priority and job. I would definitely try to practice as soon as you get home before homework, because it isn't as easy to practice in the dark as it is to do you homework in the dark (lol). Also, try to get as much homework and studying done at school as possible. If you have a study hall/study center, that would work out perfectly. Hope that helped.

Cleveland CG Black 265 Driver TaylorMade R7 3 Wood Callaway XHot Hybrid Callaway Diablo Edge Irons Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

[quote name='Brendon1215' timestamp='1299543744' post='3034593']
I am also a high school student. I understand the work load that we're all given and having a practice schedule like some of the professionals is quite un-realistic for us. Because for them, golf is their job. Right now for us, school is our first priority and job. I would definitely try to practice as soon as you get home before homework, because it isn't as easy to practice in the dark as it is to do you homework in the dark (lol). Also, try to get as much homework and studying done at school as possible. If you have a study hall/study center, that would work out perfectly. Hope that helped.
[/quote]

to be honest my teachers know i golf and im a good student. they tell me they couldnt care less. lol so i get good marks because they are lazy

[b]This is you, n'est-ce pa? Nice buck. I couldn't resist. :yahoo:
[/b]
(photo removed out of courtesy).

[quote name='hititbig2112' timestamp='1299543492' post='3034577']
[b][size="4"]Ooooh... do tell. What exactly [i]do[/i] you know about me?
[/size][/b][/quote]

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

[quote name='tigerphan' timestamp='1299544271' post='3034630']
to be honest my teachers know i golf and im a good student. they tell me they couldnt care less. lol so i get good marks because they are lazy
[/quote]
Yeah, some of my teacher know I golf too. If you're a good student already, you should be fine.

Cleveland CG Black 265 Driver TaylorMade R7 3 Wood Callaway XHot Hybrid Callaway Diablo Edge Irons Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1299551271' post='3035153']
all of my teachers know i golf, they're proud of me cuz i'm the best in varsity even as a freshman. Heck, they even announced to the classes that I am the best in the whole school and all of the classes' students cheered :clapping:
[/quote]

Not sure if you are being serious or not...but the modesty in the JR section of this forum never fails to amaze me.;)

The saying goes "If you have to tell people how good you are then you probably arent that good"...I think a lot of the JR's on this forum need to remember that saying and live by it.

[quote name='osu67' timestamp='1299551672' post='3035176']
all of my teachers know i golf, they're proud of me cuz i'm the best in varsity even as a freshman. Heck, they even announced to the classes that I am the best in the whole school and all of the classes' students cheered :clapping:
[/quote]

Not sure if you are being serious or not...but the modesty in the JR section of this forum never fails to amaze me.;)

The saying goes "If you have to tell people how good you are then you probably arent that good"...I think a lot of the JR's on this forum need to remember that saying and live by it.
[/quote]

agreed

[quote name='thaus7' timestamp='1299553450' post='3035301']
[quote name='osu67' timestamp='1299551672' post='3035176']
[/quote]

[/quote]

agreed
[/quote]

I agree too, because I am trying to model myself like golfers of the old times, which means playing the game like a gentleman. I wonder who was the first huge-ego golfer... Huge-ego meaning, "I can reach 250 with a 5 iron" to everybody and when his caddy recommends a club, he goes 1 club less or even 4 clubs because apparently he can hit it "far" :lol:

I am a high school senior who is going to play college golf and I am a pretty good student. Normally I hang out in the other forums, but the lack of humility and trying to challenge other people (o do tell.. what exactly do you know about me) is shocking. Now people are even trying to justify cheating. To think that cheating is not wrong, I don't no how you could justify it. If golf is more important than school to you I am sorry that you have your priorities so far out of line.

From this forum I can see why many adults don't respect jr golfer like they should.

Alright, I practiced a ton in high school, but I also got nearly straight As (didnt due to a medical mishap that made me miss a month and a half of school). Anyways, you need to make sacrifices, maybe you dont go out and do the social events after you practice and get to your homework. Im sorry but just taking answers from friends is not the way to do it. I had friends who asked me all the time to copy my work and pretty much I just told em to screw off, if I managed to do it you definitely could have. I am now in college, studying human physiology as a major with a pre-medical intent and let me tell you Im glad I built a strong work ethic in high school. You may be a 3.6 now and that is absolutely fantastic. But the chances of you getting beyond amazing and making the big bucks on the tour are very slim. Its much more reliable to go to college, get a solid major and build a career from there. I want to passionately golf, but Im getting into a profession that will provide me with the means that will allow me to do that in the future. Just my two cents.

Titleist TS2 9.5* w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 60x
Taylormade M2 Tour 15* w/Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 8x
Ping Anser 17* w/Fuji Motore Speeder TS 9.8x
Ping Anser 20* w/Fuji Motore Speeder TS 9.8x
Mizuno MP-18 SC 4-PW w/PX LZ 6.0
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52* and 58* w/Dynamic Gold TI X100
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange Stealth w/SuperStroke Flatso 3.0 CC
Winn DriTac w/4 extra wraps under bottom hand
ProV1

I am a sophmore and some of the stuff in this thread is unbelievable. There is a difference between finding out what kind of stuff was on the test (not the exact questions, just do I need to know blah blah blah etc.) and splitting up the homework. Really, you do the math and your friends do the history/science etc. ridiculous. When we don't have practice I go right after school and hit balls or play 9 or both till about 7 30 ish when it gets dark and then Ii go home and do all my homework (by myself btw)

[quote name='hititbig2112' timestamp='1299543492' post='3034577']
[quote name='freshprince99' timestamp='1299473162' post='3032342']
sorry, but the responses on here bragging about cheating are ridiculous. first of all, to the individual who said "[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]Maybe Im just naturally smart (this is not to brag) but Im the most lazy kid in the world when it comes to schoolwork, but get A's" who followed it up with "[/size][/color][color="#1C2837"][size="2"]Its the totally honest truth, couldn't get by without my friends and what not. Learning whats on a test from someone who took it earlier in the day". so you go from claiming to be naturally smart, to admitting that you achieved those grades by cheating. you might have an A or two on your report card, but you most certainly didn't earn it.[/size][/color]

[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]second of all, to the individual who said "[/size][/color][color="#1C2837"][size="2"]Same here. You know nothing about us.. Its not like we don't care about school. Like TGut said, I just do all of my homework in school, and my friends and I help each other on our assignments. One of us will do the chemistry, and someone else with do the history. I know how to do all of the assignments, we just help each other out. There is nothing wrong with that". there is a lot wrong with that, you are cheating to avoid doing the work. as far as "not knowing you", i know a lot more about you and people like you than you think.[/size][/color]

[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]cheating is wrong, and all it displays is a lack of character. you two ought to be ashamed of yourselves. you can justify it to yourselves all you want, but you cant justify it to me.[/size][/color]
[/quote]

Ooooh... do tell. What exactly [i]do[/i] you know about me?
[/quote]

what do i know about you?

1) i know that you are a cheater, i know this because you admitted it yourself. in my experience people who cheat in one aspect of their lives cheat in others. this is the first indication that you lack character.
2) i know that you are not strong enough to do the right thing when your peers are pressuring you to do otherwise. i know this because you are a member of a peer group who gets together to cheat. once again, this is an indication that you lack character.
3) i know that you cannot go 3 threads in a row without letting us know that you have a "+1.5" handicap index. being that we have established that you cheat on your schoolwork it is not a long step to assume that you cheat on the golf course as well. in regards to what others have said on this thread "if you have to tell us about it you probably are not".

im really not trying to be mean to you, there are consequences to these actions, and im sure you will not like them. college coaches don't want behaviour problems, and they will be turned off if you claim to be something you are not. i hope you read what people have posted on this thread instead of telling us all to f off again, we are trying to help you do the right thing.

and to the other high school students who have said that despite all of the time you spend practicing you still go home and get your work done honestly, you all ought to be congratulated. your actions have earned my respect. +1

Wow, never thought this thread would be so popular :cheesy:

But I do think school is first priority before golf before college is over. So I will practice only a few hours per day and get back to doing all my work. Unlike some of you that said they copied their homework from their friends, I actually do it ON MY OWN without anyone's help :good: