2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway Razr X Irons

Some pics and initial impression
Alright, first off..... A HUGE thanks to golfwrx and callaway for giving me the opportunity to try these clubs out...... Basically it went like this. I got a PM me know that I was picked to try out a set of Razr X irons free from Callaway. I submitted my request for specs, they were submitted, and two weeks later I had a box at my door. This is truly unbelievable..... It's the closest I'll ever get to being a staff member for an OEM :)

I guess I'll start this out with some pics, my initial impressions, then a longer term review.

Warning..... if you're not into GI irons, you might want to move on. You will be seeing forgiveness, thicker toplines, a busy cavity, and technology to help us mortal souls get the ball to the hole

I just happened to have some G10s and a CG16 6 iron (thanks to Sakman, sorry for slacking on the review but it'll be used for good reference here) to compare to. I will be adding some comparisons to Eye 2s as well.

First off, a cavity shot. The Razr's are a little busy, but they look pretty good. All three of the clubs have their own look.

CIMG2365.JPG

Now for the toplines..... all are about the same, they're GI clubs, and they're thick. The CG16 hides it a bit better on the course being black, but I don't mind any of them. They're not perfect address pics, but the G10 definitely shows its cavity more than the others throughout the set. There's a decent amount of offset, but that's to be expected. The Razr is no worse than the Ping, and the CG16 seems to have a bit less.

CIMG2369.JPG

Sole shot..... Now you can start to see where the Razr brings the tech in

CIMG2371.JPG

And finally (for now) a head on view of the soles. This is where you can really see the tech at work. The CG16 has a little curve on the sole, but the Razr X has a thin sole profile. I think that might be one of the things that made the Eye 2 great, and we'll see with the Razr.

CIMG2374.JPG

So there's a basic introduction to this new offering from Callaway. It's definitely a GI club, but it's got some exciting new tech, well exciting for me at least.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got these clubs on Friday, and of course, it rained all day Saturday. On Sunday, I took them up to the club for some range time and a round, but the range was closed since it was too wet.

I just went to the first tee having never hit the clubs. My handicap right now is right around 10, but it's trending up. My son is 7 months old, and I've played 4 rounds now since he was born. I've been playing with a set of G10s lately (eye 2s before that), having decided that I need all the forgiveness I can get with not being able to play a lot.

The G10s have graphite, just due to the deal I got..... and I got the Razrs with S300 shafts (not a big fan of the uniflex from previous Callaway experience). I knew the weight differences would be huge.

I had a good number of issues with timing, but I can say the Razrs really did their job of keeping the ball going towards the hole on bad swings, and there were a lot. I missed the ball all over the place and the distance was quite consistent. My worst shot of the day was an 8 iron that I caught so far out to the toe that only half the ball hit the grooves, and it still went on line, albeit about 20 yards short, the kind of shot that twists the face in your hands. Definitely not bad. I don't want to comment too much on flight right now since I never felt like I really found my groove with them. I was just impressed how they worked being out of sync. I never found myself stuck in a bad spot due to a mishit.

On well struck shots, the feel is quite good, just a solid thump. These aren't mizunos that give you that great feeling through your body, but you know you caught it well. You can feel a miss, just can't really feel where. It's tough to compare directly to the G10s or other clubs right now, I'll need to work on that.

In the end, I shot 39/46 (3 doubles on the back) for an 85. I usually average right in the low 80s right now on that course, so not bad considering I walked out never having hit these before. That's only the 4th time I ever shot 39.

It's currently pouring rain, so hopefully the range opens tomorrow or Thursday. I'm going to Vegas next week and want to take these out there, but they'll need some range time.

Thanks for the pix. I'm really looking forward to hearing your impressions as you spend more time with these.

I also currently play G10s (and likewise purchased for a great deal; thus the reason i wasn't fit). I hit the G10s too high and need to have the shafts changed and lie adjusted more upright. I am, therefore, debating whether to make the changes to the G10s or get something new. The Razr X's and the CG16s are on my radar, along with the possibility of ordering new G10s or G15s.

the razr x irons look like a great offering

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

wonderful! i think they look pretty darn good.

i too am familiar with the upward trending handicap...! have a two year old (well in 20 days) at home and getting the quality time to do work with my game is tough. you will find that some of your game will really sharpen up - while other parts slip. finally understand that it is quality of time vs. quantity. finding that i still have the ability - just have to REALLY focus and grind it out and accept that i'm not going to be at par every time out. bad shots are ok - and WOW, golf became so much more enjoyable :)

Great pics, thanks for those. I looked closely at the RAZR X irons recently, hit some shots with them and liked them quite a bit. The sole design appeals to me, I think that tech. could work out fine, extra weight down low but the effective sole width is quite a bit less than some GI irons.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

Thanks for the review and congrats... what shafts are in the Razrs compared to your current/previous irons?

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Sakman' timestamp='1299677466' post='3039483']
Nice work on the comparison pics! Sometimes this speaks more than a full blown review! :drinks:

Enjoy the new irons!
[/quote]

Yeah, the pics probably help more folks than me just talking about them, but I'll still be adding all my thoughts after a few more sessions and rounds. I still need to get to the range to hit them side by side to really compare. Got 3" of rain yesterday, so the range will likely be closed until Friday.

I took some more pics last night with the razr and my eye 2s. The sole area of the razr is actually narrower than the eye 2, which kind of surprised me, and their basic shape around the perimeter is quite close to the same. I'll get those up tonight.

I have hit these irons and a few times on the monitor and I am really impressed. My current irons are G10s and I think performance wise the two are similar. I think the callys are softer and have a cleaner look. The pings are a bit utilitarian but there is something to be said for that, perhaps this is why they have been in my bag since they were released!! I have never been a fan of cally irons but these made me think twice.

I decided to make the move and purchased the RAZR X irons yesterday. I usually get to play only once a week so something that is more forgiving is a good fit these days. I really like the look of these irons, I know, they are not attractive to everyone but they do appeal to me. Looking forward to getting out on the course with these, about 1 month to go before my first round.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7