Callaway Razr X-Forged Pictures, Impressions, Reviews

[quote name='gaffs' timestamp='1322411857' post='3857491']
Great Review Puppetmaster.

Im looking at getting these irons with an s300 shaft? Anyone got any thoughts on that combo?

Whats the ball flight and forgivness like with the Razr X Forged compares to say the Ping s56, Titleist CB/AP2?

Thanks
[/quote]

I had KBS Tours on these originally and switched to DG X100s and they still feel just as good. Obviously, the launch and spin characteristics are slightly different, but as long as the shaft fits your swing, these heads will play well regardless, doesn't matter whether it's PX, KBS, Nippon, DG, etc.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1322134327' post='3845857']
I finally got off the fence and have ordered a set of razr forged with kbs shafts. I have been playing the razr tours and I really do not like the way they have strong lofted these irons. I have played DG X100,S300 and px 6.0 shafts. It will be interesting to see if the KBS shafts live up to all the hype they been getting. If the shafts are no good I am going to try a set of proto's with the px 6.0 flighted.
[/quote]

Please post your thoughts when you do get them, I'm interested to know too, thanks.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1306937918' post='3277213']
[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1306935653' post='3277130']
I have to say, those clean cavity 07's look awesome. I had a set of tour issued 07's and still regret getting rid of them. I foolishly believed the hype and moved to the 09's for the re-designed sole... while they were not bad by any means I wish I had those 07's back. I need to look for a clean set of quad dots...
[/quote]

And I'm not sure if you remember, but I was one of the tire-kickers for your set, and I regret NOT buying them from you. I bought a set of TEE CNC Forged instead, which were nice, but nowhere as forgiving. If I had those 2007s I probably would never have gotten the Protos. I definitely like the 2007s debadged too.
[/quote]

Love that clean look, how easy is it to debadge? does it affect play at all or is there no weight difference per club on badge?

Ping G425 MAX w/Kioshi White 6S
TM Sim Rocket 3W w/AD DI8

Ping G425 Hybrid w/AD DI9
Ping Blueprint 4-9 w/SF110S
TM MG3 50, 56TW, 60TW w/MMT125
Ping PLD3
Pro v1

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1322514151' post='3862655']
I finally got off the fence and have ordered a set of razr forged with kbs shafts. I have been playing the razr tours and I really do not like the way they have strong lofted these irons. I have played DG X100,S300 and px 6.0 shafts. It will be interesting to see if the KBS shafts live up to all the hype they been getting. If the shafts are no good I am going to try a set of proto's with the px 6.0 flighted.
[/quote]

Please post your thoughts when you do get them, I'm interested to know too, thanks.
[/quote]

No worries. I am still waiting for shipping details for the order. Pay pal bit me with there stupid e-cheque thing. It should have been made as in instant payment.

Inspired by this review I just drove over to Callaway preowned here in Austin and picked up a used set of 2007 x-forged. They are running a 25% off campaign today.

I was set on picking up a set of "good" condition 6.5 flighted riffle 3-P but then saw a second set listed. 3-P X100 in "very good" condition set, these look like they have not even been touched by another human, cost: $300.

Ping G425 MAX w/Kioshi White 6S
TM Sim Rocket 3W w/AD DI8

Ping G425 Hybrid w/AD DI9
Ping Blueprint 4-9 w/SF110S
TM MG3 50, 56TW, 60TW w/MMT125
Ping PLD3
Pro v1

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1321622394' post='3817551']
The Razr X-Forged is definitely more forgiving, but it's no game improvement iron. It's a compact head and you still need to have a pretty tight dispersion around the sweet spot to benefit from them. Even though they look thicker, the bounce specs are exactly the same, and I [u]think[/u] the Razrs have more trailing edge relief, but I'm no expert when it comes to grinds and stuff. By virtue of being a perimeter weighted cavity back, the Razr X-Forged is always going to be easier to hit straight and will have less distance loss than the X-Protos if you miss the sweet spot. That being said however, I think the X-Protos, for a blade, are relatively easy to hit compared to others in that class like say the Adams MB and MP68.

My ideal set, as I have now, is Razr X-Forged long irons and X-Proto mid to short irons. Both are great, you can't go wrong with either and if you're already at a level where you can hit the ball pretty solidly, it's very close between the two. Just pick one (or both) and go enjoy yourself.
[/quote]

I think you are onto something with the combo set. It may just be the way I finish up.

[/quote]

Still waiting for my X forged to arrive, but in the mean time i found a set of proto's. The have the px flighted 6.0 shafts. I am keen as now to have both sets arrive to do some of my own testing. I have always like the proto's and I think these will be one of those sets that just get kept even if they are not in the bag. Now hurry up UPS and bring me my new toys. Exciting times ahead and so many choices. It is official I am a club ho!!!! This will be my fourth set of irons this year and all from the one company.

• 1 month later...

sorry for opening this thread again but got the chance to buy a set of the razr x forged 4/pw in px5.0 ,now i had a set of MCs and really liked them but fancied a change, would these fall into the same category as the MCs and im a sweeper would these irons suit me cheers,im more comfortable with thin soles and not much offset so these really appeal to me

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

The TM MC irons are great. I think the RAZR X forged are superb. I have hit the MC when I was looking for a new set and I was impressed with them. They are not as soft or have that sweet forged feel the razr has. If the new set is a great price then grab them.
I do not think it would be worth the retail cost to go from the MC to the razr irons. There is just not that big a difference to warrant a change. They are basically the same class of iron only different brands.

Having said that I have a brand new set of proto's that are now gathering dust in the study because I am hitting the razr forged so well and the feel is incredible that the proto's just cannot seem to get a run. I have always wanted to play the proto's but the razr are just that good.

I've never hit the MCs, but have seen them, and the most significant differences to me are that the MCs seem to have more offset and are larger heads. But I did not compare them side by side, so I could be off base. Maybe someone else has done a comparison. I'd have to say that if you're a sweeper, the Razr Forged might be a gamble, because even for me, sometimes I wonder if there is a touch too much bounce on the irons. My 6 iron angle of attack on a Trackman was -2.5 degs, last I checked.

Toulon Palm Beach

• 1 month later...

Random picture of the Razr X-Forged (left), X-Proto (middle), and Adams CB1 (right). All 6-irons.

IMG_1996.jpg

Toulon Palm Beach

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like your opinion @Puppetmaster: Did you find that the 09 x forged do not travel as far? I play them and have found that I've lost distance; granted I'm comparing them to a set that was an avg. 2* lower loft per club. I have the PX 6.0 flighted in them. The trajectory is mainly flat and boring, but occasionally balloons.

I would just like your take on their performance and if you found that they do not travel as far

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

[quote name='BTP' timestamp='1333673544' post='4661147']
I'd like your opinion @Puppetmaster: Did you find that the 09 x forged do not travel as far? I play them and have found that I've lost distance; granted I'm comparing them to a set that was an avg. 2* lower loft per club. I have the PX 6.0 flighted in them. The trajectory is mainly flat and boring, but occasionally balloons.

I would just like your take on their performance and if you found that they do not travel as far
[/quote]
If the lofts are 2* weaker that would equate to aprox. 4-6 yards distance lost per club, is your distance loss much more than that?

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Yeah, that's a tough comparison because of the lofts of your previous set. When I was testing shafts, I did hit the 2009 X-Forged with PX 6.0 on the Trackman vs Razr Forged with KBS C-Taper in S flex and KBS Tour in S flex, and am pretty sure the distance of the 2009 was comparable to the Razr. Obviously, the shafts were different, but if the 2009 were really that short, I've have noticed a difference.

What shafts are in your 2009s vs your current set? As One_Putt posted above, the lofts alone are a huge difference, and having ill fitting shafts will increase that loss even more.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1333714422' post='4663470']
Yeah, that's a tough comparison because of the lofts of your previous set. When I was testing shafts, I did hit the 2009 X-Forged with PX 6.0 on the Trackman vs Razr Forged with KBS C-Taper in S flex and KBS Tour in S flex, and am pretty sure the distance of the 2009 was comparable to the Razr. Obviously, the shafts were different, but if the 2009 were really that short, I've have noticed a difference.

What shafts are in your 2009s vs your current set? As One_Putt posted above, the lofts alone are a huge difference, and having ill fitting shafts will increase that loss even more.
[/quote]

I have the px 6.0 flighted in my callys as opposed to DGx100 in my old cleveland ta7 tours. I used to be able to hit my PW with my cleveland 150, now I'm lucky if I get it to go 125 with my cally. It could be my swing though too. I've slowed it down about 5mph

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my 2012 season has officially kicked off, played my first full non-twilight round today (played about 30 holes of twilight thus far). I'm still working on some swing changes so I decided to stick the Razr X Forged 4-PW in my bag vs my usual combo set with the X-Protos, and I think the full set will stay in the bag for a while longer. I used to have issues with the look of the short irons, but they were a welcome help today; hit some slightly heavy shots that actually made it to the front edge, a couple off the heel that stayed online but ended up just a club short, etc. In terms of the good swings, I stuck a sawed-off 9-iron to 3 feet on my first par 3, then a 5-iron to about 10 feet two holes later, and another PW to 8 feet on another par 3 on the back. With my swing changes I'm actually compressing the ball a lot better with my irons, and I was reminded that these irons feel amazingly soft, even with the much maligned (by me) Tour iZ ball. It was 50 degs, rainy, and soggy this morning, but I carded an 84 with 34 putts and some horrendous wedge play, and was generally happy with my irons and driving, which is a good start to the season. Before playing this round, I actually bought and sold a set of Adams CB1s within a couple months, which I loved the look of, but they just didn't feel and perform the same as these when I hit them on the range. No, I didn't really give the Adams a chance because honestly, with 3 sets of irons already at home, I had no business buying them in the first place. They just looked so pretty - PVD finish, constant offset, short heel to toe length, and thin toplines, even on the short irons. But I digress. The Razrs are back in the bag to stay for quite a few more rounds.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1335229944' post='4777424']
Well, my 2012 season has officially kicked off, played my first full non-twilight round today (played about 30 holes of twilight thus far). I'm still working on some swing changes so I decided to stick the Razr X Forged 4-PW in my bag vs my usual combo set with the X-Protos, and I think the full set will stay in the bag for a while longer. I used to have issues with the look of the short irons, but they were a welcome help today; hit some slightly heavy shots that actually made it to the front edge, a couple off the heel that stayed online but ended up just a club short, etc. In terms of the good swings, I stuck a sawed-off 9-iron to 3 feet on my first par 3, then a 5-iron to about 10 feet two holes later, and another PW to 8 feet on another par 3 on the back. With my swing changes I'm actually compressing the ball a lot better with my irons, and I was reminded that these irons feel amazingly soft, even with the much maligned (by me) Tour iZ ball. It was 50 degs, rainy, and soggy this morning, but I carded an 84 with 34 putts and some horrendous wedge play, and was generally happy with my irons and driving, which is a good start to the season. Before playing this round, I actually bought and sold a set of Adams CB1s within a couple months, which I loved the look of, but they just didn't feel and perform the same as these when I hit them on the range. No, I didn't really give the Adams a chance because honestly, with 3 sets of irons already at home, I had no business buying them in the first place. They just looked so pretty - PVD finish, constant offset, short heel to toe length, and thin toplines, even on the short irons. But I digress. The Razrs are back in the bag to stay for quite a few more rounds.
[/quote]

Stick with the RXF, my proto's are having a extended break in the spare bag. I only played the proto's for 3 rounds but the RXF are just that good and the tiny bit more help is great as I am also making some swing adjustments. Getting ready for the club champs and a few amateur events.

I might go back to a combo set if and when my ball striking becomes more consistent again, but the RXF works and I'm still loving these long to mid irons for sure.

Toulon Palm Beach