2011 Callaway Razr X-Forged Irons Review

[quote name='dowgold' timestamp='1300825850' post='3078433']
I have been playing the X-Forged 09 and they are by far the best iron I have ever played. Softer than my previous 32's. I know it is hard to believe, but it is a fact. Endo forging is amazing.

Glad I am not the only one feeling that way. Enjoy your new weapons.
[/quote]

+1. Tried a couple of new iron sets and I always come back my X-Forged 09.

I'm pretty sure the new RAZR is even better!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've since reshafted with the C-Tapers S+. Slightly lower ball flight, less spin -- both good things. I still launch these things titanically high compared to anything else I've ever hit, even the AP2's (the AP1's went WAY higher on the range, though). In play, they are slightly more than 1/2 club longer than the KBS Tour S for me, but they also take the left side out of play a little more, which is really what I wanted.

[quote name='HardHatsRequired' timestamp='1316122918' post='3566856']
My two cents --

I just started gaming a set of these a few weeks ago, KBS Tour S, +0.25" and 2* upright. I'm nowhere near as good as One_Putt_Blunder, with an index that is around 9 right now. My driver SS is around 110mph.

Perhaps it's the extra length, but the KBS's just produce moonshots in these things. I previously gamed R9 TPs with the same shafts and Mizzys before that (MP-62s and MP-30s for ages, PX 6.0 and DG S400, respectively). The XFs are actually 0.5" longer than any of my prior sticks. I do agree that they can be flighted down pretty easily, but my normal swing produces ball flights that are way, way higher than before. The grooves produce more than enough spin to hold firm and fast greens with any club -- and don't destroy my Pro V1x's...it doesn't hurt that my iron trajectories probably sound alarm bells at NORAD, but even knockdowns spin more than adequately. Just as a point of information, ALL of my prior irons were actually conforming according to the USGA, and I never had spin issues with them, either.

Length is around 5y more on all clubs without wind, again probably due to the extra length and higher ball flight.

It's all personal preference, but I rank the Mizzys slightly ahead of the XFs in terms of feel on center hits. It's not much, though, and considering the extra forgiveness of the XFs, it's a trade I willingly make. And as One_Putt_Blunder noted, slight mishits are easy to feel but nowhere near as jarring as, say, a toe hit on the Mizzys in April here in the Northeast. The R9 TPs aren't in the same league, feel-wise.

Maybe I'm not fussy about the looks of my sticks, but I really don't notice the thicker topline unless I actively think about it. Love the sole interaction with the turf, very much like the Mizzys.

I'll probably stick it out with the KBS Tour S for now but am actively considering either the KBS Tour X in the C-Taper or the PX 6.5 (because of the extra length) to help get the ball flight down. Into any wind at all, I really have to hit knockdowns because I don't get the same kind of boring ballflights into the wind that One_Putt_Blunder seems to be getting. I do wonder whether I would retain the stopping power required to play hard & fast greens. Probably need to check out the launch numbers before making a switch.

All in all, very pleased with the XFs. Great forged feel, nice combination of workability and forgiveness.
[/quote]

I havent even bothered to go out and hit the MB's. After many many rounds I am just too happy with the performance of the RXF to make any changes now. By logic I would assume that the RXF would be easier to hit than the MB's since they are cavity back irons. Check out member The_GreekGrind he has tested and reviewed every single Callaway iron and may give you better comparision between the RXF and MB

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1317120065' post='3593940']
Would you say these are just as easy to hit as the muscle backs irons? i have always been interested in the proto types and muscle back irons but have my concerns that the kbs shafts are not that good a match.
[/quote]

I own both. The Razr Forged are easier to hit overall - straighter and more distance forgiveness on off-center hits. The launch and feel is close, but the X-Protos feel a little softer, to me at least. The biggest difference that I've found is the turf interaction - the sole grind and bounce on the Razr Forged mid to short irons, for my swing, aren't as good off firm, tight fairways. The X-Protos work better for me in most conditions, but I do really like the Razr Forged long irons.
Shafts shouldn't deter you from trying either, if they don't work out, just find something else that will and reshaft. Both are excellent heads, just try to figure out what your needs are.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

• 1 month later...

[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' timestamp='1314938005' post='3536624']
Final thoughts:

As I mentioned earlier because of the nature of this test program I really wasnt sure what I would end up doing and I went back and fourth at first debating whether to sell them or keep them. My biggest setback was the topline, but I have hit way too many good shots with these irons to let that bother me. I have been blown away by how solid these irons really are and they are going to stay in my bag for a while. I have posted before that one should never discount a company based on a preconcieved opinion, for me this is the second time in the last 5 years I have ended up gaming a set of irons from a company I would have never considered even demoing.

Thank you again to Callaway and Golfwrx for this wonderfull opportunity
[/quote]

[size="3"]Excellent review and great job of handling all the questions and issues brought up through out this posting.

I am one that has never really liked the look of Callaway irons (topline or otherwise) but I have been playing the PING i15 irons for a while and recently took a look at these irons and they look very good to me...even the short irons...so I have a demo 6 iron in the car to go try at the range tonight and compare to my i15 irons as I am on a quest to won a forged iron...one question I had that I did not see addressed as I read through the entire post is can you tell me what the offset specs are for these irons...Callaway does not put this on their website and I just wanted to compare that aspect to my i15 irons and the PING Anser's which are in my radar as well...thanks if you can help and again great review![/size]

:smilie_cally:

[size=3][b]PING[/b] - Rapture V2, 17*, TFC 939 H, x-stiff
[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff
[b]PING [/b]- Glide 50ss / 54ss, +1/2 Black dot, CFS wedge
[b]PING[/b] - Cadence TR B65, 35in
[b]W/S[/b] - Duo Spin[/size]

[quote name='i_series' timestamp='1320344142' post='3755235']
[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' timestamp='1314938005' post='3536624']
Final thoughts:

As I mentioned earlier because of the nature of this test program I really wasnt sure what I would end up doing and I went back and fourth at first debating whether to sell them or keep them. My biggest setback was the topline, but I have hit way too many good shots with these irons to let that bother me. I have been blown away by how solid these irons really are and they are going to stay in my bag for a while. I have posted before that one should never discount a company based on a preconcieved opinion, for me this is the second time in the last 5 years I have ended up gaming a set of irons from a company I would have never considered even demoing.

Thank you again to Callaway and Golfwrx for this wonderfull opportunity
[/quote]

[size="3"]Excellent review and great job of handling all the questions and issues brought up through out this posting.

I am one that has never really liked the look of Callaway irons (topline or otherwise) but I have been playing the PING i15 irons for a while and recently took a look at these irons and they look very good to me...even the short irons...so I have a demo 6 iron in the car to go try at the range tonight and compare to my i15 irons as I am on a quest to won a forged iron...one question I had that I did not see addressed as I read through the entire post is can you tell me what the offset specs are for these irons...Callaway does not put this on their website and I just wanted to compare that aspect to my i15 irons and the PING Anser's which are in my radar as well...thanks if you can help and again great review![/size]

:smilie_cally:
[/quote]

Thank you,
As for the offset question I do not know the answer to that one, I am not overly technicall when it comes to my specs so not something I pay big attention to. Thanks for telling me that it was not on the website because that is where I would tell you to look lol. Check with TheGreekGrind or puppetmaster on that they may know the answer as they have both reviewed many of the Callaway line up

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 4 weeks later...

Im looking at getting these irons with a s300 shaft? Anyone got any thoughts on that combo?

Whats the ball flight and forgivness like with the Razr X Forged compared to say the Ping s56, Titleist CB/AP2?

WITB 2023

Titleist TSR3 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6x
Callaway Apex UT 17 Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7x
Sim 2 Rescue 19* Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 85X

TaylorMade P770 2017 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 120x
Titleist Vokey SM8 50*,54*,58*
Scoty Cameron Phantom X 9.5
Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

Titleist Linksmaster Club Bag

• 2 months later...

Just played my 3rd round with these clubs and have to say after a few set's I have gone thru these are by far my favorite.

Standard l/l
Project X 6.0

Ball flight is good imho (replaced my razr x tours with s300)

Softest feeling irons I have played (also had MP53's)

Soooo glad I made the purchase.

Golf Daily

[quote name='n'play' timestamp='1330405786' post='4393409']
Just played my 3rd round with these clubs and have to say after a few set's I have gone thru these are by far my favorite.

Standard l/l
Project X 6.0

Ball flight is good imho (replaced my razr x tours with s300)

Softest feeling irons I have played (also had MP53's)

Soooo glad I made the purchase.
[/quote]

Spot on! I have a set of the of the Razr X forged and these are by far the softest feeling Callaway irons I have played. I have even tries the x tours and I owned a set of the 09 x forged. If in doubt get off the fence and grab a set.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='myc5038' timestamp='1343367595' post='5362736']
One putt blunder.. And all the other RXF wrxers... Just curious whether you guys are still gaming these? Or if you guys have moved on, what irons did you go to?
[/quote]

Well I have not been able to pick up a club in close to 2 months now and wont be able to until the end of September at the earliest, just had both hips replaced, but the prior to that and once I start playing again the RXF will be in the bag. I really really fell in love with this set up.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

• 5 months later...

Great review have you hit the razr x tour iron just wondering how they would compare from a overall standpoint.

Titileist 913 d2 driver 10.5 regular
Titleist 913 15 3 wood rip phenom stiff
Taylormade rbz stage 2 tour 3, 4 hybrid
Titileist 714 ap2 irons 5-pw ctaper 120
Taylormade atv weges 52,56
mizuno beteinardi co3h

• 1 month later...

Recently purchased a new set of lefty Razr X forged irons Project X 6.0 4-PW and absoulutely love these irons. Softest feeling players iron I ever hit. I've owned just about all the lefty irons out there and did own the Musclebacks with the same shaft and found these Razr X forged irons to be their equal in feel, and better in forgivness. I also own Titleist 712 AP2s which I also love but the thinner sole and slightly less offset make these a winner in my book. Got these at a steal and haven't looked back.

doc

• 4 months later...

Figured I would post a very long term updated since there is often criticism given on the site that people rave about a club then sell it in a few months.

I had to take pretty much all of 2012 off and could not play because of my hips, After 2 surgeries and a ton of rehab I returned to the course and am getting back to a solid level of golf again.

I have really been amazed by just how great this combo has been for me and plan on gaming them until they are simply worn out.

Most of my original sentiments still hold true but there are a couple updates now that I am able to put a solid swing on them again.

1: Top line is a non issue now, took a while to get over it but I did

2: Ball flight with the KBS Tour is pretty high which is good for me but people who already hit the ball high prob will not like this combo. With that said I can flight these lower very easily when needed.

3: Spin is not overboard. I play the TM lethal ball and with the 7 iron down it is pretty much a one hop and stop with the hop getting slightly longer as you progress up in the bag. I do wish the 4-6 irons spun a hair more for more control on firmer greens.

4: This setup with CC grooves and the Lethal ball is a killer combo playing in the wind. I noticed a big improvement in the wind over my old Adams irons even when I was playing the 1x and Zstar XV. Often I find myself playing for too much wind impact and it does not even touch the ball flight.

5: Wear they seem to be holding up very well I have about 30+ rounds on them now with some intermittent range time and clubs still look like they are in great shape. I do alternate irons on my warm ups one round is 9-7-5 the next is pw-8-6-4 so I distribute wear a little more evenly.

6: I finally started to get my swing dialed in a month ago and in the last 5-6 rounds have not hit less than 12 gir's I cannot think of any stretch with my Adams where I put up those kind of numbers even when I was a .9 index and healthy.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

• 5 months later...

I picked up a set of these a couple of weeks ago for $250 with only three rounds on them. I actually knew the guy and he just wanted to unload. I have never been a Cally guy so I thought what the heck. Due to weather have only been able to game once. But what a great feeling iron. Was hitting 5 - PW (PX 5.5) really well. Couldn't hit the 4 iron for anything but a bit more practice and I think I will get there. Ordered the AW from Cally Pre-Owned and it arrived today with the plastic still on the club. These boys are now set. Just wish the weather would get better so I can swing way. Great stuff in this thread and I really appreciate the long-term update.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' timestamp='1300731080' post='3074546']
I was recently asked to test and write an unbiased review of the new Callaway Razr X Forged Irons by Golfwrx and Callaway. I jumped at the opportunity to do so as I am in the market for new irons this year to replace my trusty Adams Idea Pro Forged irons that have been a staple in my bag for the last 3 years. In the interest of full disclosure I was shocked to find out that not only was I asked to review them but I was even more shocked to find out Callaway wanted me to keep the irons after I was done testing them in hopes they would end up in my bag for full time use. However my review will remain unbiased to that fact. In the interest of writing an unbiased review I have not read anything on Golfwrx or any other site to gain any pre conceived notions about the irons.

For those that have read any of my reviews before I break it down into categories, first off a little about me and my game, then my thoughts on the irons as follows, looks, feel, performance and final thoughts. First off I have been a big Adams guy since I picked up the Idea Pro Forged Irons over 3 years ago and to be honest my first reaction was I will test them then flip them and pick up a set of CB 1's and use the extra cash to put down towards ordering a new Byron DH-89.

[b]Irons tested Callaway Razr X Forged 3-PW KBS Tour stiff flex standard length/lie Ball: 2010 Prov-1X[/b]

[b]Weather conditions Phoenix Arizona elevation aprox 1200 feet high 60's overcast little to no wind moderate humidity.[/b]

[b]About Me:[/b]

Turning 34 next month and currently playing to a 3 handicap up from 1.4 in September 2009. My game has undergone some significant changes over the last 18-24 months due to the onset of serious arthritis, and bone defect in both my hips that has caused immense pain, limited my range of motion and my ability to walk the course as well as cost me about 20+ yards off the tee and about 1-2 club lengths in iron distance. Currently my driver ss is 100-101 mph. One of my main goals for my next set was to find a little lighter shaft with a higher ball flight than my current Black Gold Shafts to try and gain some carry distance back and improve my ball flight that has gotten a little lower since I cannot swing as hard. I still routinely am breaking 80 but no longer go as low as I used to on the longer courses of 7000-7300 yards.

[b]Looks: [/b]

This is an area that Callaway missed the boat and they were not even in the same ocean. The being a players cb Razr X Forged should look like a players iron. The top line is very chunky and should have been either thinned out or rounded off instead of squared off to give a thinned appearance. My Idea Pro irons have a top line much closer to a blade and IMO is much better looking at address than the Razr. I don't mind it as much in the longer irons, but the shorter irons remind me of the top line on the Titleist AP2 short irons.

[b]Feel:[/b]

Being Endo forged I expected them to feel as good or better than anything I have hit and in this aspect Callaway hit the nail on the head twice for good measure. The Razr X Forged is by far the best feeling OTR/large scale manufactured Irons I have ever hit. I hate using the cliché of saying they are buttery smooth, but I just can't think of any other way to describe them. From the first Pw I hit on the range to the pureed 4 Iron I hit testing them on the course today the feel is unbelievably smooth and something that I would expect out of a high end JDM set at twice the retail price of the Callaway's.

[b]Performance:[/b]

Being as my Adams Irons are based off of a 46° Pw and the Callaway's are off of 47° I was a little concerned that I would end up losing some distance overall and fall short accomplishing my goal of finding a way to increase my iron distances. Well this is not the case with the 8 iron and higher. Currently I can max out my Adams 8 iron at 150 and that is putting a good move on it and in the summer. The very first hole today I had 142 front edge 146 hole I decided to hit 8 iron and It carried 151 and took one hop and stopped at 153 total distance. That is much closer to my hot weather distances than my winter distances which are usually 1 club less. I would also imagine that when the warmer temperatures are here to stay I will pick up an additional 5-10 carry yards.

Ball flight the addition of the KBS shafts accomplished the goal of giving me a much higher ball flight that was instantly noticed by my playing partner and fellow wrxer Fore_Life. The ball elevates quickly but does not balloon on me; my 8 iron flight looked like my Adams PW flight. I don't work the ball too much anymore with my irons but I was able to play both a small draw and fade with ease.

[b]Final Thoughts:[/b]

I really like the irons the feel, ball flight and distance were exactly what I was hoping for without having to go to stronger lofts, however the chunky topline especially in the short irons is something I am having a hard time adjusting to. To overcome this I am seriously considering ordering the 8-Pw in the Razr Proto blades. Overall this is a very, very good set of irons that can not only be enjoyed by a better player, but also I feel that they could be equally enjoyed by an improving player looking for a more traditional looking iron. I shot 79 first round out and first time hitting the irons and only lost one stroke due to a poorly struck iron. I had some issues/bad bounces with the driver/fairway woods. Based on my range session and round today my initial reaction is the Razr X Forged are staying in the bag, albeit most likely the 8-Pw will be replaced with the Razr blades. Here are some shots of the irons and a comparison of the top line between the Razr X Forged and my old Idea Pro Forged. Feel free to ask questions and I will add additional thoughts as I get more rounds/playing time with them. Unfortunately the forecast for today is cooler temps rain and 20mph winds and that does not make the arthritis any better so my second round will have to wait until next week. The fact that these are staying in the bag says a lot. I could essentially flip these for pure profit and get any set I want with most likely some cash left over.

Here is the new bag set up
[attachment=749366:bag.jpg]

The 4,5,and 6 irons face on
[attachment=749367:456face.jpg]

Top line 4,5,and 6
[attachment=749368:topline2.jpg]

Top line close up
[attachment=749370:topline.jpg]

Pw address
[attachment=749371:pwtop.jpg]

Callaway PW(left) vs Idea Pro PW (right
[attachment=749372:pwvspw.jpg]

Callaway 9 iron (left vs Idea Pro (right) with the pw's in the background
[attachment=749373:9vs9.jpg]

The full set
[attachment=749369:fullset.jpg]
[/quote]

Very thoughtful review! You put a great deal of time in it and you were very fair. I agree that a chunky top line is annoying in a player's iron. However, I think that can be made much less obvious just by altering one thing. The frosted face of the iron continues up the face and over the topline. If that is polished to a high gloss finish, it will seem thinner. Not as thin as a muscleback, but better.
Thanks for the great review.

I know I'm late in the game with this iron, but I just bought a set in excellent condition, used, online for $350.
I was using rocketbladez last year after switching from taylormade tp rac's that I had used for years. I was looking to pick up a little more distance on my irons as I age. I have to say, after hitting those bricks last year, these Callaways are like a breath of fresh air.
So smooth, so solid. I love these things. I hear the new X forged are nice, but I can't imagine them being any better than these.
If you are looking for a nice, used forged iron and can handle a slightly wider top line, this is the club for you. I was considering trying out the new ones, but now I wonder why I'd bother. Love them!

[sub]I went into Golfsmith looking to buy a set of JPX825 Pros and they had a set of these left,new, for 450. After hitting these and the Mizzies I couldn't pass them up, they felt surprisingly good and I hit the long irons in the Callaways much better. I really don't see how people make such a big deal over the topline, after all they are cavity backs and it's not like it's chunky,they just didn't try to disguise it. I'm still figuring out distances, played only a few rounds, but the Rifle flighted PX shafts are puttiing more spin on the ball than my last set, I've spun a few with the PW backwards right off the green, never done that before. It seems trivial but the stepless shafts with all black NDMC's and labels removed look so classy with these heads,just a beautiful club.[/sub]

Darkspeed X 9* w/Diamana D+

Cobra King LTD 17* w/Diamana S+

PXG 0311T Gen3 GW-4 w/Modus 105

TM MG3  52* , Wilson HT 56*, Reg 588 Zip 61*
PhantomX 5.5

• 7 months later...

What is the obsession with thin top line? Do you all think you're Justin Rose or something? I heard a guy at my club say a certain set "looked chunky", he can't break 85! If you play well with a set, who cares if the top line is a hair wider? Just because a blade may have a thinner top line and may look "cool", it doesn't mean you're a better golfer. I've played with a member who had Nike blades, he was awful. I shoot mid-70's to very low 80's and use a brand that shall remain nameless and it doesn't have a thin top line. I don't need a thin top line to look "cool" to show my manhood to other golfers. I can see some of you now; "hey guys, look at the thin top line of my blades", then shaaaaaaaank into the woods!

[quote name='HandsomeMatt' timestamp='1392211115' post='8650981']
[sub]I went into Golfsmith looking to buy a set of JPX825 Pros and they had a set of these left,new, for 450. After hitting these and the Mizzies I couldn't pass them up, they felt surprisingly good and I hit the long irons in the Callaways much better. I really don't see how people make such a big deal over the topline, after all they are cavity backs and it's not like it's chunky,they just didn't try to disguise it. I'm still figuring out distances, played only a few rounds, but the Rifle flighted PX shafts are puttiing more spin on the ball than my last set, I've spun a few with the PW backwards right off the green, never done that before. It seems trivial but the stepless shafts with all black NDMC's and labels removed look so classy with these heads,just a beautiful club.[/sub]
[/quote]

[quote name='HandsomeMatt' timestamp='1392211115' post='8650981']
[/quote]