2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2011 Nicklaus Golf Dualpoint ML4 Driver

[quote name='e-dog9' timestamp='1302112678' post='3126189']
Its funny how that works. Every one complains about the demise of the old companies like MacGregor, but the work being done by their old [b]club designers like Clay Long[/b]gets totally lost. As a rule, I would not buy a club I've not hit, so that presents a challenge for small companies.
[/quote]

Here's a link to the Clay Long putter I posted a few months ago...

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/442307-jack-nicklaus-personal-edition-putter

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well pretty nice comments here about the ML4 driver. I haven't seen one of our new products hit on TV in along time until Jack teed off yesterday morning with it. I must say it was exciting and felt like old times (real old times HA!)
I actually got a bunch of calls and e-mails about it yesterday. I didn't see the TV so I was thinking "what is up with this". A very nice surprise.
This driver has turned out to be very good. They are all good but every once in a while one just turns out better than good. Even the big companies suffer this with all their resources, some heads are better than others. Its like the difference between talented and gifted. Anyway, Nicklaus Golf doesn't have much distribution so seeing one might be a challenge but if you do by all means hit one on the launch monitor and see what you get.

You know the great thing about being an "old club designer" is that you can use a "new computer" to do the club design these days! Thanks for the kind words.

Clay Long

[quote name='e-dog9' timestamp='1302114251' post='3126281']
Very cool. I think one of the issues for the small company is they can't compete with the "seasonal" change for gear the companies with larger budgets artificially create. In a world full of hoes, its hard to find someone who wants a solid club that meets a specific need.
[/quote]

That can work both ways. Look at TaylorMade. They had a wonderful set of irons in the 300 series. The '04 RAC cb was great too. But then they took a step back with the '05 TP irons and have never captured the magic that the 300 series irons had. They are now legendary, while the other stuff turns over every 6 months.

Compare that to someone like Miura who had the CB-201 for years, did a slight sole grind change on the CB-202, and are still going strong.

A good, classic design doesn't need to be updated every year. This is something the big companies have lost in context. The bad part of that is that recurring sales suffer. How many are STILL playing an R510TP?

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[quote name='Doublebuck' timestamp='1302379037' post='3136209']
[quote name='JTYP726' timestamp='1302362221' post='3135662']
The stuff just looks soooo generic......from the paint colors, to the sole design...that driver looks like it's straight out of the 90's.
[/quote]

Performance over paint perhaps.
[/quote]

It's gotta be sexy for me to even want to put my hands on it.....kind'a like women. Just because a 300 lb female is great in bed doesn't mean I'm going to knock out my 115 lb fox. Performance is important...but not everything. A design like this will never appeal to the masses.

Just my $0.02....which typically means nothing.

913D3 - Diamana D+ 72x
910Fd - Motore Sp. VC 8.2x
712CB - KBS Tour S+
SM4 - KBS Tour S
2014 Fastback
ProV1x

Hey Gang:

I had to chance to cross the ditch today and demo several Nicklaus Golf sticks today. Among them was the Dualpoint ML4 driver. I had the chance to hit the 9* head and it was paired with the stock "made for Nicklaus" Fujikura shaft.

Everything that Sakman said is true. The face is hot, the launch is real good, the head is classic with no frills. I did have to let up on the swing but paired with the correct shaft it'll be a legit, bonafide bomber. Is the Dualpoint ML4 is a winner... yes! This will be in my bag before too long.

I also hit the NPS-2 irons and one of their wedges. For the sake of not committing a threadjack I will not comment further on the subject other than to say that they are the real deal.

Alex

[quote name='JTYP726' timestamp='1302389362' post='3136563']
[quote name='Doublebuck' timestamp='1302379037' post='3136209']
The stuff just looks soooo generic......from the paint colors, to the sole design...that driver looks like it's straight out of the 90's.
[/quote]

Performance over paint perhaps.
[/quote]

It's gotta be sexy for me to even want to put my hands on it.....kind'a like women. Just because a 300 lb female is great in bed doesn't mean I'm going to knock out my 115 lb fox. Performance is important...but not everything. A design like this will never appeal to the masses.

[/quote]

Two cents doesn't go very far with the ladies. This may not be for you, but golfers are a strange bunch. If word gets out this is the real deal and a great club, there will be plenty of followers. Do you remember the Precept Ladies ball frenzy? It was real, now you have balls for that swing speed selling RX, RXS that sell really well, same idea. This one may be interesting to watch. How bad does the 115 lb fox have to be in the performance department?

[quote name='dduval08' timestamp='1302403617' post='3137145']
Thanks Alex for the quick review. I ordered a 9 degree with the fujikura x-stiff shaft yesterday.

Just wondering what you would think of me throwing in a RIP Alpha 60 x-stiff in there?

I have a clubhead speed of average 118 and launch with my Adams 9064ls with Axivcore Tour Green 15 degrees.

Im in Canada so I wasn't able to demo it but would love your opinions.
[/quote]

dduval:

No problem on the quick review! It was nice to be able to chime in on something new and for the most part unknown by most.

I admit that I have absolutely zero experience with the Aldila RIP Alpha. My take on the subject of this. Or if may I ask... what are you spin numbers with the Adams/UST Axivcore combination? Do you like your dispersion and spin numbers? If so, don't mess with the shaft. The launch wouldn't hurt to be down a couple of degrees. Of course when you ask about the Alpha what may work for others may not work for you as we all are individuals and such.

Regarding the stock shaft that you ordered. I wish that shaft would have been there for the demo but it wasn't. I have to double-check which shaft it was as they offer two different stock Fujikura shafts but you might find that Fujikura stock pretty darn good. i might add that this particular shaft that I tried today was also the 55g model.

I apologize for being vague and perhaps not providing the answer you were looking for. Where in Canada are you?

Alex

[quote name='stingingbee' timestamp='1302313397' post='3134523']
Well pretty nice comments here about the ML4 driver. I haven't seen one of our new products hit on TV in along time until Jack teed off yesterday morning with it. I must say it was exciting and felt like old times (real old times HA!)
I actually got a bunch of calls and e-mails about it yesterday. I didn't see the TV so I was thinking "what is up with this". A very nice surprise.
This driver has turned out to be very good. They are all good but every once in a while one just turns out better than good. Even the big companies suffer this with all their resources, some heads are better than others. Its like the difference between talented and gifted. Anyway, Nicklaus Golf doesn't have much distribution so seeing one might be a challenge but if you do by all means hit one on the launch monitor and see what you get.

You know the great thing about being an "old club designer" is that you can use a "new computer" to do the club design these days! Thanks for the kind words.

Clay Long
[/quote]

Clay:

I don't know if you had anything to do with the NPS-2 irons or the Spin Slot 10-G wedges but if so...

Job well done!!!!

Alex

dduval:

Too bad you couldn't look up a retailer near you... or that you were close to the U.S. border like me. I think that by all witness accounts the Alpha may work for you then especially if you already like it in the 910. Yeah 20 yards can definitely be a lot. That 3400 rpm is a lot. I used to be there myself and higher... I'm talking 4000 rpm but it's definitely respectful now. I'm at 110 mph (can crank it up or dial it down a couple)and my launch is around 13*. My spin though I'm happy with at 2800 rpm. If I go stock it'll be a stiff (tipped although they have a tip stiff already) or an x flex.

You mentioned that it doesn't kick well for you? Is the Axiv an extra? If so what about a stiff tipped??? Believe me, there are many others out here more qualified to answer that for you.

Alex

Clay Long
[/quote]

Kuddos to you Clay for dropping in- thats just amazing to have someone with you resume stopping by and able to have a chat! Thank you...I will also say that like many other industries its mostly the 'little guys' doing all a majority of the heavy lifting in terms of product design. But I gotta hand to you for keeping this driver so simple and classic yet able to pack a punch in the fairway...thats no small task-pardon the reference, but '983k' in modern clothes- well done. And I have already been asking 'around' on how I could get my hands on one of these beauties to try for myself. Josh

[quote name='JerryMB1' timestamp='1302422495' post='3137602']
I just bought a Nicklaus driver, it says Jack Nicklaus Tour on the sole, a 9*, Has two adjustable screws, on the face is 6-4ti, The shaft says Jack Nicklaus Tour Hi 65 launch stiff, any info on this driver? any reviews, is this one of the drivers models that you guys are talking about?
[/quote]

Jerry:

Sorry, I don't know anything about that particular driver. I'm guessing (more like a hypothesis)that the driver that you are referring to goes back at least 4 years. Which of course doesn't mean that it's a bad thing. This is not one of the drivers that we are talking about.

Alex

I just bought a Nicklaus driver, it says Jack Nicklaus Tour on the sole, a 9*, Has two adjustable screws, on the face is 6-4ti, The shaft says Jack Nicklaus Tour Hi 65 launch stiff, any info on this driver? any reviews, is this one of the drivers models that you guys are talking about?
[/quote]

I think it sounds like a mid range offering, The Premium stuff just says Nicklaus, the bottom-end stuff is Golden Bear- Jack Nicklaus mid point. I dont recall any top end stuff with weights and hi launch fits with the mid range market segment

[quote name='mozgolf' timestamp='1302443851' post='3137897']
[/quote]

I think it sounds like a mid range offering, The Premium stuff just says Nicklaus, the bottom-end stuff is Golden Bear- Jack Nicklaus mid point. I dont recall any top end stuff with weights and hi launch fits with the mid range market segment
[/quote]
Well there is no golden bear anywhere on the club just Nicklaus, still has the rapper on the head

[/quote]

Why would your analogy be a 300 lb female rather than a 115 lb one? This club isn't 3 times bigger than others. Rather, it's a less gimicky, cleaner design. It seems to me the better analogy would be that you like a woman who needs a lot of makeup to look good. As for me, I'll take the one who looks good the next morning without any makeup on. ;)

913D AD BB 6s
913 Fd 15 & 18 Blue S+ 82
Cobra S3 Pro
Vokey 52, 56, 60k
Ping Milled Anser

[/quote]

I like the crown but agree on the Sole of the driver. Also for a club to compete today there needs to be adjustability

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='JerryMB1' timestamp='1302447187' post='3138036']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Well there is no golden bear anywhere on the club just Nicklaus, still has the rapper on the head
[/quote]

Roger that, Nicklaus golf has three ranges (they say one brand 3 collections)

Nicklaus- Premium
Jack Nicklaus- Intermediate
Golden Bear- Beginner

You can see the current ranges on their website, that looks like its back up. There is no adjustment screws anymore, but there was in the intermediate range over previous seasons

[quote name='JerryMB1' timestamp='1302447187' post='3138036']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Roger that, Nicklaus golf has three ranges (they say one brand 3 collections)

Nicklaus- Premium
Jack Nicklaus- Intermediate
Golden Bear- Beginner

You can see the current ranges on their website, that looks like its back up. There is no adjustment screws anymore, but there was in the intermediate range over previous seasons

[quote name='alexthegrrr8' timestamp='1302407488' post='3137332']

Clay Long
[/quote]

Clay:

I don't know if you had anything to do with the NPS-2 irons or the Spin Slot 10-G wedges but if so...

Job well done!!!!

Alex
[/quote]

Thanks Alex, nice to get to chat a bit. Yes, the NPS-2 and the Spin Slot are my work. We are on our third generation of heel relieved wedge designs since the original Slot Wedge. The latest 10-G versions have a smokey chrome finish and new 2010 grooves. NPS-2 is a new groove version of the original NPS with a few minor tweaks.

Clay

[quote name='RJD' timestamp='1302454671' post='3138360']

[/quote]

Why would your analogy be a 300 lb female rather than a 115 lb one? This club isn't 3 times bigger than others. Rather, it's a less gimicky, cleaner design. It seems to me the better analogy would be that you like a woman who needs a lot of makeup to look good. As for me, I'll take the one who looks good the next morning without any makeup on. ;)
[/quote]

The analogy was more geared toward the comparison of: a 300 lb woman who's a sex machine.....vs......a 115 lb woman who's not exactly Jenna Jameson......and how I'm not going to leave one for the other, based solely on performance.....It's gotta look good...and feel good to make me want to "hit" it....no pun intended:--)

913D3 - Diamana D+ 72x
910Fd - Motore Sp. VC 8.2x
712CB - KBS Tour S+
SM4 - KBS Tour S
2014 Fastback
ProV1x