2011 Nicklaus Golf Dualpoint ML4 Driver

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='stingingbee' timestamp='1302534990' post='3142049']
[quote name='alexthegrrr8' timestamp='1302407488' post='3137332']
[quote name='stingingbee' timestamp='1302313397' post='3134523']
Well pretty nice comments here about the ML4 driver. I haven't seen one of our new products hit on TV in along time until Jack teed off yesterday morning with it. I must say it was exciting and felt like old times (real old times HA!)
I actually got a bunch of calls and e-mails about it yesterday. I didn't see the TV so I was thinking "what is up with this". A very nice surprise.
This driver has turned out to be very good. They are all good but every once in a while one just turns out better than good. Even the big companies suffer this with all their resources, some heads are better than others. Its like the difference between talented and gifted. Anyway, Nicklaus Golf doesn't have much distribution so seeing one might be a challenge but if you do by all means hit one on the launch monitor and see what you get.

You know the great thing about being an "old club designer" is that you can use a "new computer" to do the club design these days! Thanks for the kind words.

Clay Long
[/quote]

Clay:

I don't know if you had anything to do with the NPS-2 irons or the Spin Slot 10-G wedges but if so...

Job well done!!!!

Alex
[/quote]

Thanks Alex, nice to get to chat a bit. Yes, the NPS-2 and the Spin Slot are my work. We are on our third generation of heel relieved wedge designs since the original Slot Wedge. The latest 10-G versions have a smokey chrome finish and new 2010 grooves. NPS-2 is a new groove version of the original NPS with a few minor tweaks.

Clay
[/quote]

Clay:

It's a pleasure and honour to talk to the man behind the NPS-2 irons and Spin Slot 10-G wedges. I recently hit both the NPS-2 and the Spin Slot 10-G and to say that I love them is a huge understatement. I know this isn't the thread to talk about it but they are absolutely sweet.

Were you a part of the design team for the ML4 as well?

Alex

[quote name='mozgolf' timestamp='1302601496' post='3145184']
Funny how fickle golf marketing can be. Someone puts out a colorful driver with lots of gadgets/ a strange shape and the majority complain about it being Wal-Mart. Someone puts out something old school looking that by all accounts is a cannon and the majority complain it is too boring!!!
[/quote]

Here! Here!

It just goes to show that it's true. It's been said that you can't please everyone...
this driver is a case in point. To be honest, I'm trying to think of the last time I felt a ball jump off of the face like this.

Alex

+1

[quote name='robert.villante' timestamp='1302559034' post='3143433']
Would love to hit one of these, hope to see one around soon
[/quote]

[b]Robert!
Hello sir!
Thank you for your interestin the new ML4 driver!
I am with Nicklaus GOlf and would be happy to assist you in finding an ML4 to demo.
We have a rep in GA and I can get him in touch with you for a personal demo if you would like.
Thanks!
Tony Pando
VP Sales- Nicklaus Golf
Direct: 561-373-9969
[/b]

[quote name='dduval08' timestamp='1301938318' post='3117453']
I have played some NIckalus equipment in the past and it was always top notch. And yes the name always seems to be overshadowed. I would love to know how you get in contact with someone like Rick Gomes, as I am an apsiring tour player
[/quote]

dduval08-
THANK YOU for the nice post!
Have spoken with Rick Gomes and he would be happy to answer any questions you may have.
I am with Nicklaus Golf Equipment and here is his contact info:
Office: 800-322-1872
email: [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]

thanks!
Tony Pando
Nicklaus Golf

[quote name='Metalhead' timestamp='1301957251' post='3119051']
Wow.. That is sleek! No-nonsense looking love it!!
Sak- excellent review.. Makes me want to locate one and try it out!
[/quote]

Metalhead-
Hello from Nicklaus Golf!
Thank you for the nice post.

We would be happy to help you find an ML4 to demo.
What city/ state do you reside?

Thanks!
Tony Pando
Nicklaus Golf

[quote name='JerryMB1' timestamp='1302447187' post='3138036']
[quote name='mozgolf' timestamp='1302443851' post='3137897']
[quote name='JerryMB1' timestamp='1302422495' post='3137602']
I just bought a Nicklaus driver, it says Jack Nicklaus Tour on the sole, a 9*, Has two adjustable screws, on the face is 6-4ti, The shaft says Jack Nicklaus Tour Hi 65 launch stiff, any info on this driver? any reviews, is this one of the drivers models that you guys are talking about?
[/quote]

I think it sounds like a mid range offering, The Premium stuff just says Nicklaus, the bottom-end stuff is Golden Bear- Jack Nicklaus mid point. I dont recall any top end stuff with weights and hi launch fits with the mid range market segment
[/quote]
Well there is no golden bear anywhere on the club just Nicklaus, still has the rapper on the head
[/quote]

Thank you for the inquiry.
Yes, this is post is correct about the JN Tour driver.
This is a mid-range product under our Jack Nicklaus category.
The head is a 6-4 Ti and is great for the casual golfer.
The shaft is a nice mid range/mid-kick shaft that is a bit heavier than current offerings.
Thanks!
If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us directly.
800-322-1872
email: [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Vinny!

My name is Tony Pando and I represent Nicklaus Golf.
The price point on the 2011 ML4 driver with Fujikura 55-G shaft is $229.99.

Jack owns Nicklaus Golf personally and his goal is to offer golfers a great product, at a great price.
We are a USA company and we value our customers very much and don't aspire to be the biggest, just the best for who we are.
If you have any Nicklaus Golf questions, or needs, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.
Thanks!
Tony Pando
VP Sales
Office: 800-322-1872

[quote name='vinny809' timestamp='1304286035' post='3200353']
Looks very clean. Whats the price point on these drivers?
[/quote]

e-dog9,

THANK YOU for the inquiry.
The Fujikura Version 3.01 shaft is a shaft we offered in the Fastback Drivers two years ago.
Last year we ugraged to the 4.01 for the ML3 drivers.
These shafts were both 67g low/mid kick

The newest shaft offering update is combined with the new ML4 driver.
Our shaft today is the Fujikura 55g mid kick stock shaft.
Also, we have the TS (Tip Stiff) version which is a high kick low torque shaft.

We hope this helps!
If you have any further questions, please contact our offices at 800-322-1872 or Post a reply.
thanks!
Tony Pando
Nicklaus Golf

[quote name='e-dog9' timestamp='1305061132' post='3223039']
Can someone comment about the stock shaft in the ML4 driver? I see on the Nicklaus website its described as being Fujikura 3.01, does that refer to the torque? Are there other specs you can provide us?
[/quote]

Just chiming in.. it's great that Nicklaus continue to make great drivers. I have an old Airmax 440 with some nondescript shaft and it is an excellent driver- classic looks, extremely long, beautiful sound... an absolute pleasure to hit. I often choose it for a round over some much newer and pricier sticks.

I live in Asia so getting a new Nicklaus may not be easy but after reading this thread I'm going to re-shaft my Airmax and let it fly :)

I finally have had some time to test out the ML4 and have been quite pleased. My gamer has been a 9015d for the past several years. I paired the 10.5 ML4 head with an Accra Dymatch S3 75 s. The head was a lttle lighter and combined with a 44.5" shaft a few strips of lead tape added to make the sw D4-5. It took a few swings on the range to adjust to the squarer face of the ML4 compared to the open faced Adams. Once comfortable, the first thing I noticed is the feel, no wierd sound and ball comes off like a rocket. The 9015d is no slouch in this category but the ML4 feels and sounds even better. Results on the course for me had me hitting some great drives for me. A couple around 275. I usually am around 250-260 range. Control was not an issue as even bad swings were holding in the fairway. The Accra shaft is great as well, good feel with a very stable profile. A complement to the driver is that I have had the 9015d in the bag the past two rounds as a backup waiting for the ML4 not to perform and I can't stop hitting good drives with the ML4. The Adams has been retired to the closet. I am very happy and may look at the fw wood of theirs next.

[quote name='JTYP726' timestamp='1302389362' post='3136563']
[quote name='Doublebuck' timestamp='1302379037' post='3136209']
[quote name='JTYP726' timestamp='1302362221' post='3135662']
The stuff just looks soooo generic......from the paint colors, to the sole design...that driver looks like it's straight out of the 90's.
[/quote]

Performance over paint perhaps.
[/quote]

It's gotta be sexy for me to even want to put my hands on it.....kind'a like women. Just because a 300 lb female is great in bed doesn't mean I'm going to knock out my 115 lb fox. Performance is important...but not everything. A design like this will never appeal to the masses.

Just my $0.02....which typically means nothing.
[/quote]
Your last sentence pretty much says it all...Ridiculous...:busted2:

• 3 weeks later...

My very first set of "real" irons were Nicklaus N1's. The design made so much sense to me I just couldn't not buy them. Nicklaus golf truly showed some real innovation with the moving bar. I loved the heads so much I even had them put onto new shafts years later. I still have the heads in my basement and can't bring myself to throw them away. I was always hoping that they'd come out with a 2nd generation but unless I missed it, they never did.

I had an "AirBear" driver and 3W and their quality was second to none! It's no surprise to me that they make high quality stuff and a fraction of the cost of the ad monsters. It's funny when I see other companies talking about air flow over the head because Nicklaus was doing that 10+ years ago.

I wish there was a local dealer in Syracuse so I could try one of these drivers! I'd probably buy it after 3 balls!

Hello GolfingBear!
My name is Tony Pando and I am with Nicklaus Golf.
Thank you for your kind words.
There is a Nicklaus dealer in Clifton Park, NY.
Northway 8 Golf Shop
Tel: 518-371-3141
Manager: Scott Hoffman

If you have any further questions or needs, please feel free to contact me directly at Nicklaus Golf.
thanks!

Tony Pando
VP Sales
800-322-1872

[quote name='GolfingBear' timestamp='1307653399' post='3296254']
My very first set of "real" irons were Nicklaus N1's. The design made so much sense to me I just couldn't not buy them. Nicklaus golf truly showed some real innovation with the moving bar. I loved the heads so much I even had them put onto new shafts years later. I still have the heads in my basement and can't bring myself to throw them away. I was always hoping that they'd come out with a 2nd generation but unless I missed it, they never did.

I had an "AirBear" driver and 3W and their quality was second to none! It's no surprise to me that they make high quality stuff and a fraction of the cost of the ad monsters. It's funny when I see other companies talking about air flow over the head because Nicklaus was doing that 10+ years ago.

I wish there was a local dealer in Syracuse so I could try one of these drivers! I'd probably buy it after 3 balls!
[/quote]

• 1 month later...

A little background on me:

I'm 43, 6.5 index, play once or twice per week, SS is usually between 112 to 117 mph or so. Although this year, following a rigorous off-season where I concentrated specifically on strengthening my core, I may be swinging a bit faster. I've always trained with heavy weights but now I also incorporate lots of core work as opposed to just the crunches I'd been doing, lol...

I have two Nicklaus ML4's, one is 10.5* with a stiff Graphite Design Pershing-65 shaft, tipped 1", D3, built to 45" along with a 9* ML4 with a stiff Graphite Design PM702 shaft, also tipped 1" but this one was built to 44.5" and also D3.

For much of the season, I'd previously played a Cobra S3 with stiff Diamana Blueboard-73 at 44.5".

I have to say, I'm loving the ML4 in either of the lofts I have. Solid at impact, good sound, excellent forgiveness, explosive with great distance. The 9* is maybe 10 yards longer for me than the 10.5* and I prefer the flatter trajectory with the lower loft and higher kick-point shaft. But I still enjoy the same fantastic forgiveness with either club.

On center shots, the S3 is the equal in length to the 9* ML4 but I'm consistently longer with the ML4. Meaning, my mis-hits with the Nicklaus offer me distance and direction far better than I deserve. The S3 is forgiving in it's own right but the ML4 is moreso in my hands.

Trajectory with my 10.5* ML4 is definitely high but it's a piercing, low-spin flight. I've played it in some windy conditions and dead into the wind and despite the higher launch, I've hit some surprisingly long drives. With the 9*, I still enjoy fantastic carry along with low-spin but the lower trajectory (medium flight) is more appealing to me.

Today, yet again I took both ML4's, the S3 and a Geek DCT white driver to the range. I was swinging pretty well and got great results from all of the clubs. It's just, as I said above, those swings where I'm a little off, you'd never know it by the results off the ML4. Great club-heads.

I took a flyer on this club due to some good reviews here and on another site. I'm so glad that I did. I still can't believe the quality of this driver. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised but I've never played a Nicklaus club and probably never would if it weren't for reviews such as those I've read here during my research before purchase.

It's a shame that Nicklaus isn't more prevalent in golf stores so players can demo this impressive driver. But for a driver that's only about $225 new (and I've seen it new for as little as $154 on ebay via RockbottomGolf), it's worth a try in my opinion.

Incidentally, I found the stock shaft (Fujikura 3.01 TS something-or-other) to be not bad at all. It's rated for SS of 90 to 104 mph, if memory serves. I'd first played it with a stiff back and had to gear down on the swing. That day, the shaft worked great for me. But once the back was healthy again and I was swinging as normal, I suffered too many ballooning drives. My buddies though, who swing between 100 to 105 and hit the club before reshaft, all loved it. One is actually going to buy it, he was so impressed.

Anyway, just figured to throw my .02 cents in. Best of luck, all.

The ML4 is a great driver, I have the 9 degree stock stiff (long and friendly). I was also able to order a ML4 (head only) from Nicklaus Golf to experiment with an Accra AC shaft. Sometimes its hard to put down the cash on products that don't hold their value like the top brands, expecially when you trade like most of us, but the premium line from Nicklaus seems to be good stuff.

• 1 month later...

Top top driver- got the 10.5 head from American Golf Uk who very kindly sourced it for me from Nicklaus. Fitted in an Aerotech Steel Fibre shaft and it is a wonderful combo.

Straight, long, forgiving, easy ..... just fabulous.

I adore the classic look of the club and the sound is spot on. For some obscure reason, they are not launching this Driver here in the UK for some while yet....crazy decision.

I also have their ML3x3 fairway wood and that is every bit as good.

This is the first time i have used and now owned Nicklaus equipment and am delighted i have.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Something i happened upon accidentally. Tried a Nicklaus ML-440 driver,liked the head but the shaft was too stiff for my swingspeed. Bought a Killer Bee Bull Whip Wood regular shaft from Golfsmith ( 29.99) and installed it in my the ML-440. I have tried every driver out there and continue to do so because i am an extreme driver junkie. The only thing the other drivers always do is lead me right back to my ML-440 and i am always left wondering why i ever left,especially after driving one fairway splitter after another. The feel and distance is like nothing i have ever experienced even with my meager golfing talents. The Bull Whip shaft must fit me perfectly it feels so solid on every swing. Now i am afraid i will be forced to purchase an ML-4 driver head and mate with another Bull Whip shaft and see ( YET AGAIN!!!) if it can permanently remove my treasured ML-440 from my bag. The quest continues!!!!!!

• 1 month later...