Need help finding button head bolts for TeI3's

Final update with full pics... 4/25
As always I have a few TeI3's laying around ready to be refinished. Instead of filling the holes with elastomer I have always wanted to get a nice looking button head screw (like the button backs or the Red X but obviously on a much smaller scale) and use them in every hole on the back of the putter. I was planning on getting them a little longer than the normal allen bolts that come in them so they lay nearly flush to the surface. I think this would look amazing and be something different I have never seen done before. So my question is does anyone know a place that has a huge selection of allen bolts? I have no idea what size or shape will fit so I want to test a few out first. Thanks a head of time for any help!

*update*

Alright so these are what I'm going to try. I did some measurements and these are the largest that will fit if I didn't mess anything up.

They aren't going to be dead flush with the back of the putter but that's cool with me. They do have "black oxide" ones as well but I want some contrast and stainless steel will go with other finishes I do as well. If anyone disagrees with the size let me know. I used drill bits to figure out the largest part of the holes at the top which was the 1/8" bit and it was really snug. So I would assume the screws with the heads slightly smaller than .125" should be perfect.

*update two*

First of all I want to thank McMaster's for the incredible service. They had the screws to me in under 24 hours. I got lucky and they ended up being local, which was crazy in itself with all things considered. The size I have listed above were pretty much an exact match to the ones I pulled out if anyone is interested in ordering extras. So anyway there's a few minor tweaks I need to make but overall this thing looks ridiculous. Finish also turned out super... and yes those are the actual colors in the pic, it's not the lighting, well other than the glare. ;)

Let me know what you guys think. I haven't done a painfill yet as I just glued it up 10 minutes ago. I'm probably just going all white as the putter has more than enough going on without some crazy painfill. Maybe a white Imoic as well? I'll add a full set of pics in a couple days. Anyway enjoy!

*Alright last update to the thread*

I added a slideshow in a new post so scroll down if you're interested in seeing the somewhat finished product.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='SergioKSU' timestamp='1303264690' post='3169337']
As always I have a few TeI3's laying around ready to be refinished. Instead of filling the holes with elastomer I have always wanted to get a nice looking button head screw (like the button backs or the Red X but obviously on a much smaller scale) and use them in every hole on the back of the putter. I was planning on getting them a little longer than the normal allen bolts that come in them so they lay nearly flush to the surface. I think this would look amazing and be something different I have never seen done before. So my question is does anyone know a place that has a huge selection of allen bolts? I have no idea what size or shape will fit so I want to test a few out first. Thanks a head of time for any help!
[/quote]

Thats one way to get the head weight up. Would you epoxy the bolts?

[quote name='stephenwalker' timestamp='1303265821' post='3169402']
[quote name='SergioKSU' timestamp='1303264690' post='3169337']
[/quote]

Thats one way to get the head weight up. Would you epoxy the bolts?

[/quote]

Not sure... maybe just a little on the threads. I don't think they would come out though. I also don't think it would raise the head weight a lot. They are so small that the difference in weight between the elastomer and the bolts would be miniscule. It would be nice if they got it up to 340g but I doubt they would even weight 5g total. Obviously there will be a little trial and error but I think overall it would be something pretty unique if I could find the right ones.

The first place that popped into mind was a knife making supply shop. One I've shopped at once or twice, though I think it was only once. I found some that should, in theory, work, but the only problem is the actual size of the buttons (0.1875 I don't have any more TeI3's lying around, or I'd measure them to see, but I'm fairly certain that they'll likely be slightly larger than the opening on each dot). No one is going to make one that will fit down into the holes, really, because it'd be a 1/32nd or 1/64th key required to fit it, and those break REALLY easy (allen keys that small). I've seen them once at work, for small electronic parts we have at the power plant, but they're a real precision instrument. The ones that I found, however, that should work, are 4-40X 1/4" and require a 1/16" allen key (or 1.5mm). They're knife supply button head brushed stainless screws. They're not chromed, as the chromed ones are longer, at 3/8". You may even have to trim the length on these, as most of the TeI3's I've disassembled have a depth around 1/8 to 3/16 max in the holes to the back of the insert. You could always drill and tap each hole in the back of the insert and secure with thread locker, but wow, what a pain. There's always the possibility of going with a sockethead, as you'd likely find one that would fit inside the holes, but finding chromes or brushed stainless that small might be a task (it's be sweet if you could find some carbon ones and have them plated copper, IMO). Another option is to go with flathead machine screws, instead of button heads, as you should be able to find some knife screws in that configuration that'd fit inside the holes as well. I'd do them in copper too.

Anyway, here's the button heads I found(that site has all 3 styles I mentioned, BTW): http://www.assistedknife.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/26098/subcatid/70161/id/469375

You could possibly find them at another knife shop as well, that's just one I've bought from before for restoring an assisted Dalton knife's handle (one screw was missing and I wanted all of them to match, I'm anal about things like that, especially my knives, which almost take precedence over my golf equipment).

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1303268953' post='3169586']
The first place that popped into mind was a knife making supply shop. One I've shopped at once or twice, though I think it was only once. I found some that should, in theory, work, but the only problem is the actual size of the buttons (0.1875 I don't have any more TeI3's lying around, or I'd measure them to see, but I'm fairly certain that they'll likely be slightly larger than the opening on each dot). No one is going to make one that will fit down into the holes, really, because it'd be a 1/32nd or 1/64th key required to fit it, and those break REALLY easy (allen keys that small). I've seen them once at work, for small electronic parts we have at the power plant, but they're a real precision instrument. The ones that I found, however, that should work, are 4-40X 1/4" and require a 1/16" allen key (or 1.5mm). They're knife supply button head brushed stainless screws. They're not chromed, as the chromed ones are longer, at 3/8". You may even have to trim the length on these, as most of the TeI3's I've disassembled have a depth around 1/8 to 3/16 max in the holes to the back of the insert. You could always drill and tap each hole in the back of the insert and secure with thread locker, but wow, what a pain. There's always the possibility of going with a sockethead, as you'd likely find one that would fit inside the holes, but finding chromes or brushed stainless that small might be a task (it's be sweet if you could find some carbon ones and have them plated copper, IMO). Another option is to go with flathead machine screws, instead of button heads, as you should be able to find some knife screws in that configuration that'd fit inside the holes as well. I'd do them in copper too.

Anyway, here's the button heads I found(that site has all 3 styles I mentioned, BTW): [url="http://www.assistedknife.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/26098/subcatid/70161/id/469375"]http://www.assistedk...70161/id/469375[/url]

You could possibly find them at another knife shop as well, that's just one I've bought from before for restoring an assisted Dalton knife's handle (one screw was missing and I wanted all of them to match, I'm anal about things like that, especially my knives, which almost take precedence over my golf equipment).
[/quote]

Thanks for the help. I should have mentioned that I wasn't set on "button screws" so much as a nice looking head whatever it may be. I assumed because of the size of the holes a button screw would be a tough find. I'll definitely look into the link though and hopefully have something out together this week.

[quote name='SergioKSU' timestamp='1303303858' post='3170229']
I also think 4-40's would be too big... the head size on the ones I take out of them are around 2mm which is 1/8" right? 4-40's head size is closer to 3mm from what I have seen.
[/quote]
Good luck with the project, sounds like it'll be fun if nothing else. You could always test out the Caswell copper plating plug-n-plate kit to copper plate the screws. That'd be insane looking, and add a huge amount of depth to the project, especially if you go with your black ox, keep the stock paintfill and copper insert.

Also, the only thing I worry about with those screws is the depth. The newer, second gen will work because each dot has a corresponding hole that lines up with it that you could easily bore out a tad. The original, Bettinardi milled ones, however, aren't drilled anywhere except the places where the current Allen screws go, at least in the ones I've disassembled, so it could be a pain to make work because of your thread make-up added to the head depth. It'll be close to being past flush unless you trim the threads or drill for the screws in the insert.

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1303350541' post='3172424']
[quote name='SergioKSU' timestamp='1303303858' post='3170229']
I also think 4-40's would be too big... the head size on the ones I take out of them are around 2mm which is 1/8" right? 4-40's head size is closer to 3mm from what I have seen.
[/quote]
Good luck with the project, sounds like it'll be fun if nothing else. You could always test out the Caswell copper plating plug-n-plate kit to copper plate the screws. That'd be insane looking, and add a huge amount of depth to the project, especially if you go with your black ox, keep the stock paintfill and copper insert.

Also, the only thing I worry about with those screws is the depth. The newer, second gen will work because each dot has a corresponding hole that lines up with it that you could easily bore out a tad. The original, Bettinardi milled ones, however, aren't drilled anywhere except the places where the current Allen screws go, at least in the ones I've disassembled, so it could be a pain to make work because of your thread make-up added to the head depth. It'll be close to being past flush unless you trim the threads or drill for the screws in the insert.
[/quote]

I have taken 50+ TeI3's apart and have never seen an insert that didn't have holes for every dots already in it. The only year I haven't taken apart is my bottom stamp from 1997. That's kind of odd you have had more than one with only 4 holes in the insert. A few have even had single digit serials. I'm sure I'll run into one at some point. That copper plating sounds interesting. I'm going to just keep them stainless for the trial run and see how it goes. They are going in a Long Neck I oiled quenched last night so I'll post some pics in a couple days when the screws come in.

As far as the depth of the screws... they should be an exact match to the ones that come in the putter. I measure the thread length of the ones I took out and they were right at 3/16". The overall length of the screws with the head added in was a hair over 1/4". Also if you look into the holes in the putter there are stoppers for the screws... the holes aren't the same diameter all the way through... which is obvious otherwise the insert would fall out with the screw attached to it. The thing I made sure to do was to measure how much distance I had from the stopper to halfway into the insert so I didn't get a thread that was too long and would screw through the face. Anyway when I get them I'll compare them to the old screws and confirm. Thanks again for all the help!

[quote name='bjfed' timestamp='1303515905' post='3177779']
[quote name='stephenwalker' timestamp='1303511895' post='3177636']
Looks good. This might sound stupid, but what is securing the screws?
[/quote]

+1 Did you drill and tap all those additional holes?
[/quote]

Every one of the TeI3's I have restored have already had the holes drilled in the back of the insert to line up with the holes in the back of the putter. All I had to do was screw them in. So to answer the question... the insert is holding them in, or rather they are holding the insert in. Instead of 4 screws securing the insert there are 32 now lol.

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1303506598' post='3177420']
Yep, looks good. Imagining they were copper and you'd have a huge wow factor.
[/quote]

Those plug-n-plate kits you mentioned are pretty nifty. Have you tried any of them? Would they work on carbon steel as well, I didn't notice the metal list that was compatible. It would be pretty slick to do the whole putter in silver and since there's an insert it wouldn't effect the feel. I have actually thought about taking a putter to a friend of mine and having him chrome or nickel plate it but I was always worried about the layer being too thick and having to alter the insert to fit it back in.

Pretty cool dude. Good job!

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='SergioKSU' timestamp='1303517798' post='3177851']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Every one of the TeI3's I have restored have already had the holes drilled in the back of the insert to line up with the holes in the back of the putter. All I had to do was screw them in. So to answer the question... the insert is holding them in, or rather they are holding the insert in. Instead of 4 screws securing the insert there are 32 now lol.
[/quote]

Very cool, did it change the feel at all?

[quote name='stephenwalker' timestamp='1303556583' post='3178736']
[quote name='SergioKSU' timestamp='1303517798' post='3177851']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Very cool, did it change the feel at all?

[/quote]

I normally sell the putters I restore and let the buyer choose the grip and length so I haven't hit any putts with it yet. When I get the grip on it I'll let you know. It shouldn't change the feel as the elastomer is just cosmetic anyway.

Very cool and a great job on it. Thanks for sharing.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

Just hit play. If you have any problems with it let me know.
<br><br>

<object width="700" height="525"> <param name="flashvars" value="offsite=true&lang=en-us&page_show_url=%2Fphotos%2F53846427%40N06%2Fsets%2F72157626451687243%2Fshow%2F&page_show_back_url=%2Fphotos%2F53846427%40N06%2Fsets%2F72157626451687243%2F&set_id=72157626451687243&jump_to="></param> <param name="movie" value="http://www.flickr.com/apps/slideshow/show.swf?v=71649"></param> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.flickr.com/apps/slideshow/show.swf?v=71649" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="offsite=true&lang=en-us&page_show_url=%2Fphotos%2F53846427%40N06%2Fsets%2F72157626451687243%2Fshow%2F&page_show_back_url=%2Fphotos%2F53846427%40N06%2Fsets%2F72157626451687243%2F&set_id=72157626451687243&jump_to=" width="700" height="525"></embed></object>

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='SergioKSU' timestamp='1303603519' post='3180101']
I normally sell the putters I restore and let the buyer choose the grip and length so I haven't hit any putts with it yet. When I get the grip on it I'll let you know. It shouldn't change the feel as the elastomer is just cosmetic anyway.
[/quote]

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scotty-Cameron-TeI3-Long-Neck-Newport-Custom-ScrewBack-/230619877741?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item35b204116d

Can't believe that you wouldn't keep that one...

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

[quote name='rebby' timestamp='1305126170' post='3224844']
[quote name='SergioKSU' timestamp='1303603519' post='3180101']
[/quote]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Scotty-Cameron-TeI3-Long-Neck-Newport-Custom-ScrewBack-/230619877741?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item35b204116d"]http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item35b204116d[/url]

Can't believe that you wouldn't keep that one...
[/quote]

I'm not much of a collector really. I have a couple TeI3's in my personal collection but that's about it. Plus I could use the money right now with work being slow. I would sell more of them on here but I always get more on eBay unfortunately. WRXers generally like to work you down on prices. I know I'm one of them LOL. :cheesy: