2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Houston WRX Outing?

taylormadefan

...I had a front row seat to the best 9 I've ever seen by an amateur golfer playing the back 9 with Jeremy...

Rick, I'd hang 'em up if Jeremy was an amateur....he's playing mini-Tours, Drew said US Golf Tour at the moment.

Still, 30 on the back at Blackhorse is quite an accomplishment!

Enjoyed the weather and the company, and watching Tony bomb it +20 yards over his prior performances! Drew poked a measured drive 327 yards on 18!

I was cogitating on around 30 different swing keys per shot....geesh! 071.gifThat's what I get for going to "golf camp."

Many thanks to Ryan/GxGolfer and the gang at GolfWRX for the fantastic putter covers! 5.gif

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was cogitating on around 30 different swing keys per shot....geesh! 071.gifThat's what I get for going to "golf camp."

Yeah, Todd's got a little "Sergio" in him.... :(

Rick,

Glynn and I both left around halftime....so hopefully he made it home to his wife.....he probably punched a hole in his wall at home

Still trying to figure out these new irons...:)

...Yeah, Todd's got a little "Sergio" in him....

More like Sybil..... :(

We're going to have to start calling Sam "Sneaky", because the guy has game......look around and all of a sudden he's past you.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

What a great day. I can't wait for the next outtting. Let's try to do it again on the South Side in about 3 weeks!

Todd - how you can keep all those thoughts organized and still strike the ball well was impressive.

Sam - sneaky is an understatement

Tony - walking billboard for properly fit clubs. I really want to get to Hot Stix before next year.

All in all, I had a great time. My buddy Jeremy appreciated you guys making him feel like a true WRX'er.

See you guys in a few weeks,

-Drew

Rick, I'd hang 'em up if Jeremy was an amateur....he's playing mini-Tours, Drew said US Golf Tour at the moment.

:( I knew that. I guess I meant in an "amateur" setting, as in, playing with me. :)

SLDR 460 9.5* Oban Kyoshi White 65-05
SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x
SLDR TP 19* Motore Speeder 9.8HB
MR-23 CB US Spec 4-PW TC x1 soft stepped
Vokey SM 4 52*, TVD-K 56 & 60
Circa '62 No. 2 raw, ProV1x

For all that was concerned, I made it home just fine, even though I did stop at BW3 in Richmond to meet and greet, ended up home at 7:30pm.

The wife was real proud of me as you can imagine :) Major beer drinking occurred! :)

Now to recap the day :

Big Thumbs Up!

1. We must say a Big "Thank You" to GXGolfer and the GolfWRX people.

The Houston group has been made to feel very welcome here and the putter headcovers are spectactular!The creation of the Texas WRX group has been awesome and has allowed all of us to be able to stay in touch.

2. The weather :cheesy: was awesome and the course was in great shape. Big Thanks to Drew for setting everything up. And that piece of eye candy that walked out ahead of us was perfect end to a great day of golf.

3. Jeremy was a pleasure to play with and his "30" on the back was a joy to watch. Keith and I made sure that our team never had to worry that we would take anything worse than a bogey. We were bulldogs!

4. Everyones bag setup looked great and Rick hit his new irons great. Todd's new Japan r7's were sweet also. I am trying to hold out on new stuff until the new X-20 Tours come out.

Big Thumbs Down : :(

The biggest bummer of the day was the hostess at the 290 BW3. She should be looking for new employment today for not knowing "Drew The Man" and not giving us the best seating the place has to offer. And of course the LSU loss. :cheesy:

Great day for all. Lets play Wildcat Lakes or Memorial next time.

Bopper

Cally Ai Smoke 10.5, GD DI 60
Cally Ai Smoke 16.5 HL Wood,  Fuji Red TR 70
Cally Heavenwood,  Fuji Red TR 70

PXG Hybrid # 22
Cally AiSmoke irons 5-GW with KBS $ Taper 95 shafts

Cally 56, 58 Wedge, DGS Spinner

Cameron Phantom 5.5  Putter

2. The weather :) was awesome and the course was in great shape. Big Thanks to Drew for setting everything up. And that piece of eye candy that walked out ahead of us was perfect end to a great day of golf.

Bopper:

Don't think anyone else noticed that eye candy except you and me!?!?!?! All the guys were facing the other way towards "bloody gums)....man, those tight white pants and thong....good thing you waited a few minutes before you stood up or you might have scared the rest of the guys at the table! :(

Tony - walking billboard for properly fit clubs. I really want to get to Hot Stix before next year.

All in all, I had a great time. My buddy Jeremy appreciated you guys making him feel like a true WRX'er.

See you guys in a few weeks,

-Drew

If you guys have any interest in what results get printed out after a 4 hour fitting at hot stix, i can scan the pages and post them for you guys. they first go through your irons and get the current specs. then you hit them, and they bend them all to the right specs afterwards so that everything matches. then you go on to the driver and woods, you hit yours and then they'll recommend heads and shafts (and they have ALL combos shafted up and ready to go for you to hit) and they narrow it down that way on the monitor. finally, the putter fitting is ridicuously awesome. you go to the putting green and they've got cameras to get every angle from your set up to stroke to how the ball rolls, etc. they bend accordingly and you can see the huge difference in the roll. stupid me sold that putter hot stix bent and bought a new one, now i've got to get this new one bent again to those specs cause this roll isn't as good as the other putter!

btw, they also do a ball fitting for you too.

obviously, they could do all the work to your woods and irons to get them optimum for you and they print out all the fitting specs and details from your day there.

if you want to go there one day drew, let me know. i may just fly out there with you and do it again!!!!!

...If you guys have any interest in what results get printed out after a 4 hour fitting at hot stix, i can scan the pages and post them for you guys....

I'm interested in seeing Hotstix printouts, Tony......post 'em!

...If you guys have any interest in what results get printed out after a 4 hour fitting at hot stix, i can scan the pages and post them for you guys....

I'm interested in seeing Hotstix printouts, Tony......post 'em!

How about a Houston WRX Hot Stix outing? Todd, Tony, Myself....anyone else?

i'll take care of the organization if we can get this thing off the ground, that'll be cool...you could really do it all in 1 day! take an early flight out, get to hot stix by 9 am, finish up and have lunch, and leave mid-late afternoon too......and the wife would never even know it!

here are a few of the pages in the hot stix folder.

they spend time explaining these pages to you, so don't worry if it looks like greek to you....which it did to me. i'm sure all of you already know your lies, lofts, flexes, etc., but i went in there never getting anything tested and everything in my bag was through trial & error.....and the forums...:(

there are more pages, graphs, and suggestions.....but basically the thing i took away from this fitting was MY lie angle and shaft flex (everything was too stiff for me: irons, wedges, driver, etc.). didn't have them do any reshafts though since i wanted an all-callaway bag and bought all new clubs after the fitting...:)

well, well, well guys...what do you know? after finally examining these specs, i called up hot stix today and told them i was planning to order all new equipment and to give me the correct corresponding flex designations for the fitting (r, s flexes) for the order.

anyways, fyi, the above flexes correspond to driver, fw, and hybrids shafts should all be STIFF..... and the irons and wedges should be REGULAR flex

OK guys, we had a great time at Blackhorse this month and I cannot wait to do it again. I am starting the thread to gauge interest in a date and location for our November outtting.

November 11th and 18th work the best for me -- my preference is the 11th. My wife's birthday is the 3rd so that weekend is shot for me.

As for location, we had kicked around the idea of a South or Southwest side course. Wildcat Lakes is an idea and so is Gus Wortham :drinks:

Let's hear it.

-Drew

Drew,

That weekend sounds good to me.

I think the Wildcat Lakes course sound good. It seem that someone had a connection there?

Not real sure about Gus, spotty conditions at best. If anyone wants to play Battlegrond sometime, I have major connections there.

Our much discussed happy hour @ Chuys might be a good way to develop course ideas?

Todd, where do you normally play?

Glynn

Cally Ai Smoke 10.5, GD DI 60
Cally Ai Smoke 16.5 HL Wood,  Fuji Red TR 70
Cally Heavenwood,  Fuji Red TR 70

PXG Hybrid # 22
Cally AiSmoke irons 5-GW with KBS $ Taper 95 shafts

Cally 56, 58 Wedge, DGS Spinner

Cameron Phantom 5.5  Putter

Gus [Wortham] has more character and characters than Wildcat. Last time I was at Gus I got paired up with 2 guys in their mid 30's, they were really into their match. On the last green the loser paid his buddy.......................with a bag of cocaine.

Errr.....Wildcat sounds good. :drinks:

Gus [Wortham] has more character and characters than Wildcat. Last time I was at Gus I got paired up with 2 guys in their mid 30's, they were really into their match. On the last green the loser paid his buddy.......................with a bag of cocaine.

Errr.....Wildcat sounds good. :drinks:

Where's your sense of adventure? They were very friendly to me.

OK guys, we had a great time at Blackhorse this month and I cannot wait to do it again. I am starting the thread to gauge interest in a date and location for our November outtting.

November 11th and 18th work the best for me -- my preference is the 11th. My wife's birthday is the 3rd so that weekend is shot for me.

As for location, we had kicked around the idea of a South or Southwest side course. Wildcat Lakes is an idea and so is Gus Wortham :cheesy:

Let's hear it.

-Drew

I most likely will not be able to make it unless its on the 3rd. No offense, of course, Drew. I work the 11th-12th and TG weekend, and I'm almost certain we're going to my sister's in SA the 17th-19th, but that could be my way in if we don't go. I guess my pseudo-vote is for Wildcat on the 18th, then.

I am, however, getting closer to having ALL of my weekends free... :cheesy: :drinks: We think we've nailed down a location finally.

SLDR 460 9.5* Oban Kyoshi White 65-05
SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x
SLDR TP 19* Motore Speeder 9.8HB
MR-23 CB US Spec 4-PW TC x1 soft stepped
Vokey SM 4 52*, TVD-K 56 & 60
Circa '62 No. 2 raw, ProV1x