2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ryder Cup: The next source of hate...hopefully in good fun.

Ryder Cup is here, so perhaps we can't put down the I hate and I love Tiger chants and start hating each other. Uh...just kidding. Fun jabs sure, but let's not get out of control.

When Lehman was picked as captain, I was not all that thrilled. I went along with the media hype that O'Meara should have got it. But over the last year watching Lehman's moves and his play on the course I changed my thinking and was really getting hopeful over the U.S. chances this year.

I am still hopeful it will be a different Ryder Cup team for the U.S.. Lehman will do a good job preparing the team. I see a better team approach and better success....well....I am not sure where that better success will manifest itself. Looking at what counts, who will play, I am not so sure how the U.S. will do. As of tonight, without the captain's picks, here is the US Team:

Tiger Woods

Phil Mickelson

Jim Furyk

David Toms

Chad Campbell

DiMarco

Vaughn Taylor

J.J. Henry

Zach Johnson

Brett Wetterich

Jeez...tough to bet on that team. I see a few stars, but I also see a ton of unknown. Unknown how some of these guys will do in team play and unknown how they will do in match play. On paper, the U.S. always looks to have the dominating team, then loses. On paper this year, I just don't see a dominating team.

Lehman really has his work cut out for him.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be interesting to see how the whole situation unfolds. I am really interested in who Lehman picks as his Captain picks tomorrow. There are a lot of big names that aren't on the team, but the thing is they haven't been playing very well or their name would be on the list. Who do you think the Captain's choices will be? I think he will select Stewart Cink and Davis Love, but I think Lucas Glover has been hot of late and should be there.

It's great that we have the opportunity to root for something else after the last major this year.

I'm looking forward to the Ryder Cup. True, I'm not going to bet against the Europeans with the team the US has fielded this year, but after the past disappointments, new blood is needed.

It can't hurt. Watching Kenny Perry & Stewart Cink out there getting pounded isn't exactly my idea of fun.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

Ryder Cup is here, so perhaps we can't put down the I hate and I love Tiger chants and start hating each other. Uh...just kidding. Fun jabs sure, but let's not get out of control.

When Lehman was picked as captain, I was not all that thrilled. I went along with the media hype that O'Meara should have got it. But over the last year watching Lehman's moves and his play on the course I changed my thinking and was really getting hopeful over the U.S. chances this year.

I am still hopeful it will be a different Ryder Cup team for the U.S.. Lehman will do a good job preparing the team. I see a better team approach and better success....well....I am not sure where that better success will manifest itself. Looking at what counts, who will play, I am not so sure how the U.S. will do. As of tonight, without the captain's picks, here is the US Team:

Tiger Woods

Phil Mickelson

Jim Furyk

David Toms

Chad Campbell

DiMarco

Vaughn Taylor

J.J. Henry

Zach Johnson

Brett Wetterich

Jeez...tough to bet on that team. I see a few stars, but I also see a ton of unknown. Unknown how some of these guys will do in team play and unknown how they will do in match play. On paper, the U.S. always looks to have the dominating team, then loses. On paper this year, I just don't see a dominating team.

It will be interesting to see how the whole situation unfolds. I am really interested in who Lehman picks as his Captain picks tomorrow. There are a lot of big names that aren't on the team, but the thing is they haven't been playing very well or their name would be on the list. Who do you think the Captain's choices will be? I think he will select Stewart Cink and Davis Love, but I think Lucas Glover has been hot of late and should be there.

I would go with Stricker and Verplank....why not?

Im looking forward to the Ryder Cup, and think Lehman is doing a fine job.

For captains picks I hope he does NOT pick Love. Ive been a fan of Davis Love for years, but come on he's had a horrible season (no top 10's) and he's having back issues.

I'd love to see Lucas Glover and Jerry Kelly. Third would be Cink, who can putt the lights out if he gets hot.

One thing im sick of hearing is "pick Love" or whoever elder stateman because they have "experience". So much that has helped the US has gotten killed lately.

Tiger Woods

Phil Mickelson

Jim Furyk

David Toms

Chad Campbell

DiMarco

Vaughn Taylor

J.J. Henry

Zach Johnson

Brett Wetterich

I would go with Stricker and Verplank....why not?

I really like Stricker as a pick. He has come up pretty big in the US Open as well as the PGA. Add Cink into the mix and we have a decent set of captain's picks. We shall see VERY soon.

My prediction is he's going to pick Love & if his back is ok, Couples.

If his back isn't ok, Cink will replace Freddie.

If I were Captain, I'd pick Herron and Stricker.

I want Lumpy on my team!

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud

The US will get killed again. It will be over by Saturday night and Sunday will be for entertainment. Outside of Furyk and Di Marco, I see no great reason to have faith in anyone on that squad. Tiger's Ryder cup record is suprisingly poor, Phil is Phil, David Toms is all over the map, and the rest of them have very little or no Ryder Cup experience. Cink and Verplank may be the only thing that keeps this from being over by Sunday.

Look at Vaughn Taylor and Wetterich for 2006:

Wetterich: 10 for 19 in cuts made. 4 top 10s(3 in a month), 6 top 25's, and a whopping 125th on tour in putting.

Vaughn Taylor: 14 for 21 in cuts. 1 3rd, 6 top 10, 7 top 25 finishes.

The system is so screwed up that a guy can make about 50% of his cuts, get hot for 1 month (T4 New Orleans, MC at Wachovia, Win at the Nelson, MC at Colonial and T2 at the Memorial) and make the squad.

That is pathetic and a disgrace to US golf.

For the first time in a long time the European's enter as clear favorites, which makes me a little nervous, until I look at the US team! I just cant see past this european team-especially in Ireland. A captains pick of Darren Clarke would make it three locals, and if he is mentally recovered from the tragic loss of his wife it could be a very emotionally charged European team.

Really looking forward to watching this event for the first time whilst living in the USA- I will be the one at the bar with the big smile on my face as my fellow countryman, Monty wins yet another point!

I will be the one at the bar with the big smile on my face as my fellow countryman, Monty wins yet another point!

You just better hope Monty doesn't have a perfect lie in the fairway shooting at a front right pin on the final hole of the deciding match on Sunday. :help:

I am going to have to say that the Europeans are the favorites, but that could be a bad thing for them. Normally the USA has been the favorites and the Europeans have came in and stole the show playing pressure free. Hopefully, the USA team can come in and steal one from the Europeans. I am not fond of the team, but I am fond of the captains choices. Cink and Verplank will be a good fit with the other players. I am just not too sure about Wetterich and Henry. Taylor doesn't worry me as much as Henry does. I guess we will have to wait and see how it all pans out.

First off, I'm an American. I always root for the Euros, because they seem to be of a team one through twelve. I don't see one player thinking he's better than another, and isolating themselves from the team. I don't really see Tiger and Phil playing cards or having a drink with the younger players letting them know what to expect. I think a lot of this may be the culture of the two tours. The European Tour, from what I've seen, seems to go to smaller venues in different cultures and the players hang out with each other so they can see a familiar face. I also don't see players traveling with their families as much, so they only have other players to socialize with. It is almost like the U.S. tour is like a big city where a million people don't know each other, and the Euro tour is a small town where everyone knows each other.

I don't care what anyone says, it's always better to be the underdog! Nothing to lose, everything to gain! Maybe thats what Lehman should tell the boys to help get them fired up! Regardless, golf is a gentlemanly sport and should be kept that way. Lately, the cup is getting more and more out of hand. Almost as bad as soccer in Europe. Nothing wrong with it but taking that and applying it at a golf course is a little extreme. May the best TEAM win...