2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Swing Gurus Needed.. Complicated.

FASSSTSWING

The wrist angle is maintained throughout the backswing to set correctly and square up at the top.

since I have reconstructed my swing to be square at top, I have had problems squaring the face and pushing shots to the right. Partly due to "bumping" forward my hips too much rather than "turning", but also because of my downswing.

Now this part is the confusing part if you can follow. Check out Tiger's swing that I cut up.

untitled.jpg

Notice the wrist angle at setup. He maintains this throughout the backswing, therefore he has the same wrist angle at top as in the setup which equals a square face at top. Now check out the impact area, his wrist angle is completely gone. My problem is that I always thought you had to maintain that same wrist angle on the downswing and at impact. But I have found out from this picture, that my thought is incorrect. If your clubface is square at top, than that "drop" to get the club coming from an inside plane actually would change the clubface's relation your original plane created on your "on plane" backswing. Many cases; causes the clubface to be open rather than square, so the wrist angle change must happen to counteract that "drop to the inside path" to close the face back to square (flatten your wrist angle). So where exactly does the wrist angle change take place during the downswing? I would assume during the "drop"?

If I am going at this in the wrong direction, someone please point it out. I know it sounds complicated, but Im sure someone knows exactly what Im trying to point across.

Here's a picture of me shortly after impact of a small push to the right. You cant tell in this pic, but I held that same wrist angle during the downswing and impact. According to what I said earlier, I must have been turning my hands over alot quicker in order to close that face back to square during the downswing. And a lack of that much wrist turn I needed resulted in a push if everything I said earlier is correct.

IMG_0338.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion Tiger has a pretty flat left wrist at the top of his swing. I don't see him cupping his left wrist at the top very often. I feel that his left wrist is cupped slighty in his driver setup because he play the ball forward with alot of spine tilt.

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Hey Fasstswing,

I like what i see in your impact area. What I don't like is what I can't see.

In the backswing I advocate a cup in the back of the left wrist. I am a Hogan and Schlee man so I truely believe you need to coil your hands as well as your body on the way back. See if you can follow me, After you have coiled to the top, the 'drop' is actually the start of the hands uncoiling. You will lose the cup in the back of the left wrist and the left forearm and back of the left wrist will be in line or flat. From there the magic happens that I explain in my upcoming book "The Secret of Hogan's Swing" due to be released at the end of September, early October by noted publisher John Wiley and Sons. It's available on Amazon at the present for pre-release orders.

Also look at my posts on the Ben Hogan recent topic "Ben Hogan fans, a disciple of a disciple..." I'll be happy to anwser your specific questions. Look at my photo at the very of end of that topic and notice the positon of the hands and the cup in the back of the left wrist. Also notice where the clubhead is pointing and why.

Later,

Tom B

If you really compare the two shots that you took of Tiger, you'll notice alot more differences than just his wrist. I've played his video several times (yeah, I want his swing too! :fool: ) and his wrist is actually flat throughout the entire motion of swing right thru impact. If you could zoom in on his setup, it seems like his club face is slightly closed at address, that's because he hasn't done the 'hip shift' (shown in his impact position photo) where the club face is perfectly square at impact. That might be your problem, try closing your clubface slightly at address while using your normal grip or go to a little stronger grip. Pushes to the right generally mean open an club face at impact. Hope this helps :cheesy:

This is a great post. I've wondered about the change in the angle of the left wrist for many years. Hogan said in a recent book that by having a flat lt. wrist at the start of the downswing the tendency was to push the club away or come over the top.

When to change the cupped lt. wrist to flat or more importantly when to alow the wrist to flatten and arch slightly downward through impact has been an issue for me. The golf machine which I know very little about places strong emphasis on the flat lt. wrist an bent rt. wrist before and after impact

In a recent book by Nick Bradley, "The Seven Laws of the Golf Swing" he talkes about what he calls the 'puck release', ..."the right wrist joint and the rt. arm straighten as they deliver theclub to impact", this bears resemblence to the "scoop". I've tried this and it seems to work as well. It may come down to what method is easier to time properly.

I think that with all the disscussion of one plane vs. two plane, weight shift, keep the head stil allow it to more,ect. more thought and dialoge in the area of the hands and wrists would be beneficial.

It's called "adjusted address" in the TGM or standard address hands in popular terms.

At impact your left wrist should be flat and the right wrist should be bent. So if you "posed" your impact position (TGM calls this impact fix) you will have your hands much futher foward than they are at address UNLESS you start from a "foward press."

So if you have a semi-open clubface at "impact fix" with a flat left wrist and then you proceed to BEND that left wrist to bring your hands back to "standard address" the face will appear "closed" at setup.

However keep in mind the more you bring your hands to the center of the body the more the left wrist will bend and the more it will be closed and the less you bring to center, the less closed it will be.

hope that helps