Why so little hype around the Srixon z forged II???

swingtingz

Not the "flavor de jour" this time around. Who can say?

Honestly, I can't think of an iron release this year that's really set the world on fire.

Been a somewhat strange cycle in that respect.

Edited by jholz

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Blades aren't as popular as the players cavities or players distance irons anymore. 

No idea what the srixon staffers are playing, likely the ZX-7s (not really sure)

Ping 430 LST 9* set to 7.5*  ventus TR blue 6x

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎3+ Kai'li 70x

Ping g425 max 7 wood set to 19* w Ventus TR blue 8X

Srixon ZX utility 23* Ventus Black 9tx

Srixon ZX-7 5-AW, Project X 6.5 LZ

Cleveland RTX mid bounce 56 and 60 DG S400

Odyssey metal x milled 2-ball mid, 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

5 hours ago, jholz said:

Not the "flavor de jour" this time around. Who can say?

Honestly, I can't think of an iron release this year that's really set the world on fire.

Been a somewhat strange cycle in that respect.

I think it is because there is not much innovation going on right now.  Almost everything is a dead rehash of what was out the past few years.  Srixon irons, apart from the ZX4 and small facelift on Forged II are dead copies of their past iterations.  Some small cosmetic changes on the Taylormade P series irons were nothing to write home about.  Mizuno has another run of the same stuff they've been putting out for 5-6 years now.  Ping and Cobra are the only two with anything somewhat interesting, as both did a full overhaul on their most successful lines.  The only iron out right now that hasn't really been done before is the Callaway Paradym but they have been weirdly hush about it with zero ads.

Plus, it's still March.  Half 3/4 of the continent is still under 1.5 feet of snow.  Once the golf bug hits people will start to buzz again.

Callaway Paradym 9 -- Accra TZFive 60

Callaway Paradym 15 & Paradym TD 18  -- Accra TZFive 70

Cobra King Tec 22 & 25 -- MMT 80

Ping i525 6-PW, UW -- Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54 & 58 -- DG Spinner 

Bettinardi Hive Custom -- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

Yeah... I don't think any famous Srixon staffers are playing these blades right now. Even Matsuyama is playing the old Z-forged not the mk2.

Blades don't have much to improve on anyway, mostly the improvements are about the turf interaction and a slightly improved cg (basically no improvement whatsoever). So it mostly comes down to feel and aesthetic..

Cobra SZ 9*  Fujikura ventus black 6X

Mizuno ST190 3w Aldila 6S

Titleist 718 cb 3i Project X LZ 6.0

Mizuno Mizuno Pro 118 5i-PW NIPPON Modus 3 120 TX

Titleist Vokey SM5 50* DG S200

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 54/58 DG 115

Callaway PM Grind 64* KBS Hi-Rev 115

Sik Pro C 35.5"

Bridgestone Tour B X

8 minutes ago, GoTime said:

because theyre ugly

I thought that at first look, but they have grown on me. They have a retro feel to them. Srixon blades are fantastic. Larger profile, but very playable. They would be my first choice if you are on the fence with blades. More forgiving than some CB

• Like 4

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/2022 BB-1F

Pro V1X 

39 minutes ago, KodakkuSensei said:

Yeah... I don't think any famous Srixon staffers are playing these blades right now. Even Matsuyama is playing the old Z-forged not the mk2.

Blades don't have much to improve on anyway, mostly the improvements are about the turf interaction and a slightly improved cg (basically no improvement whatsoever). So it mostly comes down to feel and aesthetic..

I'm sure Hideki will move to them. I bet he is the reason they added the heel/toe notch.

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

Pro V1X 

52 minutes ago, toastinato said:

Personally, I don't think srixon did anything special this release. IMO, the OG zx7 was better than the mkii model. 

I think the MKii looks much better. Especially in the 4 series, but in both 5 and 7 as well.  Z-forged is a push for me.

Overall I still think the 7 series is nice, but still needs improvement. Should soften and bevel the topline more. Maybe shorter heel to toe. The thinner sole is nice, but the 7 and 9(z-forged) series still can't quite beat the 45 versions. 

7 used to blend with the bladed set really well, but they moved the blade as a standalone set. Understandable, but disappointing.

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

Pro V1X 

4 hours ago, WristySwing said:

Mizuno has another run of the same stuff they've been putting out for 5-6 years now.

The JPX line has been on repeat since 900 series.  850 was slightly different in that the badging was blue!   Other than that, not much.   They need a refresh imo.  The 2021 callaway apex mb's were pretty neat with that weight but was not impressed with the apex line other than that.  TM was pretty uninspired this time around.  Agree that Ping and Cobra are the best releases this year.

• Like 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

I think the 7’s are so good that you get the feel and workability of a blade in a great looking package with extra forgiveness. If I’m not mistaken, Hideki is the only staff guy using the blades.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

18 minutes ago, Mp14forlife said:

I'd be more pumped if there was a non v sole option. 

Finally, I don’t feel alone. 

I think the v-sole is a thing that makes them stand out from other OEMs. BUT, it’s a stance on sole design that limit the players interested in the tech. 

Not that it doesn’t “work”, but that it’s not common in the market place. 

Stixon is trying to fight for “best of the rest” right now. I think their marketing of the new product is weak (like Bridgestone weak).  

Great equipment but they had tremendous Asian tour success with non-V-sole irons. It feels like that is the end of their tech story with the blades. 

On the other hand, the 4,5 and 7 series have gained more traction. 

I think it’s a mass appeal issue (super tough market to hit- blades to name Titleist, Tm and Cally). 

Time will tell. It’s not a quality thing, but blades seem to be an afterthought now. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, chinaski said:

I think the MKii looks much better. Especially in the 4 series, but in both 5 and 7 as well.  Z-forged is a push for me.

Overall I still think the 7 series is nice, but still needs improvement. Should soften and bevel the topline more. Maybe shorter heel to toe. The thinner sole is nice, but the 7 and 9(z-forged) series still can't quite beat the 45 versions. 

7 used to blend with the bladed set really well, but they moved the blade as a standalone set. Understandable, but disappointing.

Yeah I agree with you. The zx4 and 5 seemed to be much more refined which I like. But the 7 just didn't seem to be updated. I didn't love the top line. I feel the same as you. I was just referring to the zx7 since that's the only one I've used. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ivyguy said:

Finally, I don’t feel alone. 

I think the v-sole is a thing that makes them stand out from other OEMs. BUT, it’s a stance on sole design that limit the players interested in the tech. 

Not that it doesn’t “work”, but that it’s not common in the market place. 

Stixon is trying to fight for “best of the rest” right now. I think their marketing of the new product is weak (like Bridgestone weak).  

Great equipment but they had tremendous Asian tour success with non-V-sole irons. It feels like that is the end of their tech story with the blades. 

On the other hand, the 4,5 and 7 series have gained more traction. 

I think it’s a mass appeal issue (super tough market to hit- blades to name Titleist, Tm and Cally). 

Time will tell. It’s not a quality thing, but blades seem to be an afterthought now. 

As a person who cannot for the life of them hit V-soles well, I do need to come to their defense, as they do work.  The idea is that with that super-bounce leading edge ejects out of the turf much cleaner than something with a sharp leading edge or non-beveled sole.  Most amateurs are steep on it, like really steep.  The reason for it is that they come over the top with a shut club face, so their face (for a righty) points down and to the left.  This is a recipe for a deep divot.  Amateurs that pay halfway attention to golf know they shouldn't do this and tend to swing a little more from the inside (or at least try to) and try to be a bit more neutral in their face-to-path relationship.  They are not the ones who generally benefit from the V-sole and are the ones that can get away with Titleist, Mizuno, etc. because of their lower bounce angles.

Having said that...the ZX5 is a fantastic iron and I absolutely murder it when I catch it.  The times that I don't (that aren't just horrible swings), the V-sole kills me.  So I firmly support a non-V-Sole option.

Edited by WristySwing

Callaway Paradym 9 -- Accra TZFive 60

Callaway Paradym 15 & Paradym TD 18  -- Accra TZFive 70

Cobra King Tec 22 & 25 -- MMT 80

Ping i525 6-PW, UW -- Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54 & 58 -- DG Spinner 

Bettinardi Hive Custom -- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

I'm a sweeper, grooved my swing with mp14s, hardly any bounce, narrower sole etc.....I love what srixon has done overall, I think they are making some amazing irons and the feel is right there with Mizuno. For the life of me I wish Mizuno would make a players club like the zx7 or even a forgiving blade like the z forged. Mizuno is missing that mark in my opinion, yes they have some forgiving models but with crazy strong lofts etc... Having said all that, I bought the zx7 hoping I could play it but that sole was a no go, it wasn't even close to being an option. Doesn't hideki even have them grind it away? I hope srixon will offer options for different soles and I think they'd really pick up in market share if they did that. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, toastinato said:

Yeah I agree with you. The zx4 and 5 seemed to be much more refined which I like. But the 7 just didn't seem to be updated. I didn't love the top line. I feel the same as you. I was just referring to the zx7 since that's the only one I've used. 

I was about to say, the zx4 may be the most improved year over year iron of any out there. The old one was so chunky and hybrid iron looking I would never have even picked it up to hit. The new one looked (and ultimately felt) so good I bought a set. Agree on the 7 though not much difference at all. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I agree that Mizuno needs to be in the same space as the Z Forged/ZX7. They owned it with the Mizuno Pro/Pro II. 

I’m a longtime Srixon iron user and I always struggle to understand the V Sole issues. Seems like anyone shopping in this category would be hitting down on their irons sufficiently to take the V out of the shot. That’s obviously not the case! But someone who can hit a clean full shot with a sand wedge should be able to play an iron with far less bounce than the wedge. 

I was trying to make the zx7s work and I could certainly keep playing them but I was always dropping down 5 balls with my 919 tours and 5 down with my zx7s and put them on dry tight lies and time after time and the 919s did a much better job. Give me the zx7 with a Mizuno sole! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, me05501 said:

I agree that Mizuno needs to be in the same space as the Z Forged/ZX7. They owned it with the Mizuno Pro/Pro II. 

I’m a longtime Srixon iron user and I always struggle to understand the V Sole issues. Seems like anyone shopping in this category would be hitting down on their irons sufficiently to take the V out of the shot. That’s obviously not the case! But someone who can hit a clean full shot with a sand wedge should be able to play an iron with far less bounce than the wedge. 

I get where you are come bag from. 

Better players are compressing their balls/shafts (felt dirty typing that, good thing I didn’t use Siri) and achieving forward shaft lean.  But, there are many that don’t lean as dramatically (Steve Stricker comes to mind).  

I love the idea, because I was/am a SCOR guy. Under 150 yards, makes sense… 8 years ago. 

I just can’t get to that position consistently anymore. 

But I suck.  So…..

I have that going for me.  Which is….

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ivyguy said:

I get where you are come bag from. 

Better players are compressing their balls/shafts (felt dirty typing that, good thing I didn’t use Siri) and achieving forward shaft lean.  But, there are many that don’t lean as dramatically (Steve Stricker comes to mind).  

I love the idea, because I was/am a SCOR guy. Under 150 yards, makes sense… 8 years ago. 

I just can’t get to that position consistently anymore. 

But I suck.  So…..

I have that going for me.  Which is….

There are a lot of ways to get the ball moving. I think a lot of guys who grew up playing game improvement clubs from the Ping Eye 2 forward learned to hit everything on the bottom third of the club face. It works, too. The ball gets up and flies straight. Good enough. 

I think the designers at Srixon might ignore this at their peril, or maybe not. They’re selling a lot of irons. But clearly they have made an assumption that better players are using the middle third of the club face (vertically speaking) which requires hitting them with some shaft lean.

I use Z Forged short irons and it amazes me how forgiving they are, but I tend to trap my iron shots and Trackman says my swing bottoms out 2” ahead of the ball. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

20 minutes ago, me05501 said:

There are a lot of ways to get the ball moving. I think a lot of guys who grew up playing game improvement clubs from the Ping Eye 2 forward learned to hit everything on the bottom third of the club face. It works, too. The ball gets up and flies straight. Good enough. 

I think the designers at Srixon might ignore this at their peril, or maybe not. They’re selling a lot of irons. But clearly they have made an assumption that better players are using the middle third of the club face (vertically speaking) which requires hitting them with some shaft lean.

I use Z Forged short irons and it amazes me how forgiving they are, but I tend to trap my iron shots and Trackman says my swing bottoms out 2” ahead of the ball. 

Wow, 2 inches. 

I think you are right about the generalization of the type of irons people grew up with and (generally speaking) techniques 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 5:08 PM, GoTime said:

because theyre ugly

Wow, Imma have to agree on that one. I really liked the OG but they also didn't come in lefty, so there is that. 

1-f.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

On 3/13/2023 at 5:53 AM, me05501 said:

Could you move the ball forward 2.5 inches/ narrower stance etc to get the Perfect Arc/Impact?

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

On 3/11/2023 at 9:55 AM, Mp14forlife said:

I'm a sweeper, grooved my swing with mp14s, hardly any bounce, narrower sole etc.....I love what srixon has done overall, I think they are making some amazing irons and the feel is right there with Mizuno. For the life of me I wish Mizuno would make a players club like the zx7 or even a forgiving blade like the z forged. Mizuno is missing that mark in my opinion, yes they have some forgiving models but with crazy strong lofts etc... Having said all that, I bought the zx7 hoping I could play it but that sole was a no go, it wasn't even close to being an option. Doesn't hideki even have them grind it away? I hope srixon will offer options for different soles and I think they'd really pick up in market share if they did that. 

Jpx tour and 223???

8 hours ago, RogerinNewZealand said:

Could you move the ball forward 2.5 inches/ narrower stance etc to get the Perfect Arc/Impact?

That would be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. I don't think anyone should be trying to match up the bottom of their swing arc and the ball. That would require amazing precision and clubs aren't designed with that intention. 

I'm not sure Trackman is all that accurate at measuring low point distance, especially indoors. I use impact stickers to double check that I'm hitting the ball in the center of the club face (both horizontally and vertically). I get really good contact and ball flight stats. My swing arc bottoms out anywhere from just under an inch in front to two inches in front, depending on the day and the club. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

11 hours ago, lefthack said:

Wow, Imma have to agree on that one. I really liked the OG but they also didn't come in lefty, so there is that. 

1-f.jpg

Yeah the new ones aren't especially handsome. They remind me of Srixon designs from before the Z565/765 era. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS