2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Why so little hype around the Srixon z forged II???

swingtingz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My 2 cents on this is that they sort of fell victim to their own success.

945 was what got me onboard with Srixon. They were so good and easy to hit. I was moving away from MB clubs at the time and those 945s brought me back. I literally spent zero time adapting to it and was flushing shots after shots the moment I picked them up. 965 had only minor tweaks so they didn't hook for some, and fade easier. Then comes Z Forged.. it's somewhat a artistical take of 965 with its wavy lines and really didn't have any substantial change. I had both 965 and Z Forged, and didn't feel either measured up to 945. Z Forged 2 came out reminiscing the old school Mizuno T-Zoid and made me totally lose interest. It just feels like they aren't really putting any real engineering and innovation behind the blade line anymore, and there's really nothing to get excited about. 

745 was wildly popular and still considered to be the holy grail by many.  It struck a perfect balance between forgiveness and playability. It was so good that it sort of made the following models seem unnecessary. 

I am sure the currently offering are still great clubs but the buzz has worn off. I hate to say it but they do need something that can create the buzz again. I mean even something as simple as different finish (black or raw) would help. 

• Like 1

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

To answer the OP and anyone else that's interested, here's my initial thoughts after one session at the range (range balls & mats unfortunately).  My current set is the original ZX7 but I am a Srixon guy and I have played:

• 765/965 combo
  • 785/Z-Forged combo
  • ZX7

• They look wonderful, both in the bag and at address.  When I first saw the release pictures I was a little underwhelmed.  They are very nice when they are in your hand.  At address the blade length is generous and the topline is medium/small.  If you've played Srixon before these dimensions will be familiar to you, although they are noticeably more compact than the OG ZX7 (I think they are probably closer to the ZX7 II which appear smaller to my eye than their predecessor) 
  • The feel is exactly what you'd want in this type of blade.  Even with range balls there was that lovely sensation of soft yet solid.  To me, these feel markedly better than the OG Z-Forged, which I found to lack that nice feel.  I don't know if that was because of design or manufacturing, but the ZX7 felt so much nicer than the Z-Forged, and the Z-Forged II are one step further
  • Forgiveness is what you'd expect.  Srixon have always managed to make a blade that is probably more playable than others - that could be because of the added blade length, design, V-Sole?  Who knows really?  But they're a blade so forgiveness is relative.  Compared to the ZX7 I would say they are slightly more demanding, but only slightly
  • I would say they are mid-trajectory, which again is what I'd expect from these kind of clubs.  Comparing the 5 irons (my longest iron) - the ZFII was more mid, where the ZX7 was higher.  Ultimately I will need time on the course to understand whether that is something I can play with.  I may end up swapping out the 5 and/or 6 irons if the trajectory influnces carry/landing angle detrimentally
  • Overall I'm really happy so far.  I know there will be days where the ballstriking won't be there and I'll question why I'm playing blades.  In that regard this was really a "because I can" purchase - I'm under no illusion that they'll make me better or there are things I'll be able to do with these that I can't with the ZX7.  To that end the ZX7 will stay in the garage for now.  I was thinking that I might combo the 5 and 6 irons if required but having spent an hour or so hitting the 5 iron it's amazing how much larger the ZX7 appeared when I picked it up.  The ZX7 II would probably blend more seamlessly.  But that's the big takeaway for me so far - other than the trajectory, the ZFII 5-iron feels just as playable as the ZX7.

Happy to answer any other questions

Edited by anth
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Qi10 Designer Series (Black Out) 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX

5, 8 & PW

FFBCA994-1BEC-495F-81C6-A5C09A714A7D.jpeg

B4F8E7FC-B0F8-4D7B-B4AE-76DFA71E1B1B.jpeg

1F9335A0-C997-46EE-9454-9739898D1669.jpeg

Edited by anth
  • Like 3

Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Bridgestone Tour RX

I played the 965's back in the day and loved them and recently gave these a try. They were really nice and quite forgiving for a muscle-back, but the ZX7's give if not better ballflight while being easier to hit and still workable. I think these are top-tier if you want a blade, but I think you really have to want one - this is why they're overlooked.

Driver - Callaway Rogue 💎💎💎 9* - HZRDUS Black Gen4 6.0 60g

Hybrid - 3 - Wilson D9 - Tensei CK Silver 70

Irons - 4-5 - Wilson CB - DG S300

Irons - 6-P - Wilson Staff Blades - DG S300

Wedges - 50/54 - Tommy Armour 845 Forged

Wedge - 58 - Wilson Tour Grind - DG 120 Stiff

Wedge - 62 - Sub70 JB Forged

Putter - Bettinardi Queen B #6

Would agree with that so far. Loved the 965, not so much the first Z Forged. These are much better feeling than the first iteration.

30 minute session at the range today, half bucket. Range balls and mats (but I did cheekily hit some off the grass). I was surprised by how much nicer these felt off the grass. I can only think it’s the sensation of feeling that “turf interaction” which I’ve never really noticed before, even with the ZX7 I was most recently playing. It may just be because the sole is that little bit thinner that I’m “feeling” that more.

Other than that everything else was confirmed from my first range session. Lovely feel, piercing mid trajectory, forgiving for a blade, only slightly more demanding than the ZX7.  There was one shot that was really bad where I thought the ZX7 would have had a better result, but only marginally. It would still have been a bad shot.

Again, really happy so far. The true test will come on the course during the weekend competition rounds, through the winter and into next summer.  The only thing I can see changing is adding a 5 and/or 6 iron in the ZX7 Mk II for that extra height 

Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Bridgestone Tour RX

I was always a big fan of the Srixon forged cavity models, starting with a set of i506's and then using Z765's for a couple seasons. Then I got a Z785 AW and it started becoming a favorite club of mine. I loved the look, feel and performance and always looked for a chance to hit it. 

A member here listed a set of Z Forged on MMT 125's for a really nice price so I bought them to try even though it was mostly the shaft that I wanted to audition. As it turned out I fell for the heads too. I was hitting nice tight draws that flew high and strong. The look of the long irons was a bit too intimidating for me but the short and mid irons were money. 

When it came time to commit to a full set I chickened out a little and went with a blend. Honestly though if I'm facing a judgment call between hitting my Z Forged 8 and my ZX7 7 I will always favor the Z Forged. I'm just more confident over the 8 iron. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

On 5/8/2023 at 10:08 PM, anth said:

5, 8 & PW

FFBCA994-1BEC-495F-81C6-A5C09A714A7D.jpeg

B4F8E7FC-B0F8-4D7B-B4AE-76DFA71E1B1B.jpeg

1F9335A0-C997-46EE-9454-9739898D1669.jpeg

Those are gorgeous irons. I’m yet to see these in person but I loved the first z forged and these are more compact and look incredible. Thanks for posting those 

• Like 1

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Srixon staffer so while I genuinely love their clubs I do have some bias.  My primary set is a ZX5 3/5 iron and ZX7 6-PW, but I have a 1 year old and in an effort to get a few more rounds in I've started using a half bag set while pushing him in the stroller.  I didn't like how my 8° gaps in my standard set were working out when it came to scoring, so I had a half set of Z Forged MKIIs built up with 6 degree gaps and I'm blown away by how easy these are to hit.

I was thinking that this half set of the blades would work for a practice set because I would have to work more to be able to hit them well, but I couldn't have been more wrong.  I definitely wasn't swinging great today as evidenced by playing out of the left rough most of the day, but I didn't miss a shot with the irons.  Even the 5 iron (longest iron in the half set) was just as easy to hit, and hit high (I'm a low ball hitter so this is important) as my ZX5 5 iron.

Can't wait to get on Trackman and figure out carry numbers with this set so I can score a little better next round, but if I hit them like I did today this might become my full time set.

PXL_20230525_190334988_MP.jpg.9d604ecf2350895c8e2f740f774b26a3.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I played the OG ZX7 irons and loved them.  I have since switched to Titleist but I was in the shop the other day and saw these z forged II irons.  I thought they looked amazing and I couldn't help but take them for a spin on the GC quad.  They were very easy to hit and were plenty forgiving.  I hit it side by side with the ZX7 MkII 7 iron but liked the z forged better in the 7 iron.  I would seriously entertain going ZX7 MkII in the 4-6 and z forged II in 7-P.  

Edited by Wonderboy

• 1 month later...

I hit the demo 7 iron and wow oh wow did it feel good. Head is not too small. I think Titleist t100 are actually smaller. If you can play T100, you can play this club. 

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

Demoed the Z-forged II couple weeks ago at local Golfer's Warehouse. Hit the original Z-Forged and new Cobra MBs. Of the three, I preferred the new cobra MBs but the II was a close second. They have a better feel than it's predecessor and smaller profile, which my eye prefers. As a reference, my gamers for nearly a decade now are Cobra S3 pro MBs, so that smaller compact blade style is what I gravitate to. II were more workable, less yards lost off mishits and more forgiving feel off center strikes compared to the ZF. That being said, Cobra MBs would be in the bag if I were in the iron market because they check all the boxes for my game.

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

They look good but not great.  I like the new Mizunos but I think the Blueprints are solid, I'd be looking at the Ping's for blades right now.  Happy with the T100 though...they look more like blades with every release...top line keeps getting thinner and a ton of forgiveness packed in.  I fight the left side and played MP32s for years and years so blades are always attractive with lower offset and narrow top line but I also like some forgiveness.  

Edited by keith723

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 TM P7MB (4-PW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 50.08(F), 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

On 6/6/2023 at 10:44 PM, Cmiles said:

Zx7 aren’t too far off from a blade!

Nah, no way. 

Even the Z Forged is a muscle-back with way more weight in the sole than the blades most of us grew up on. The ZX7 would have been considered a game improvement club 25 years ago. 

• Like 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

On 3/13/2023 at 8:55 PM, RogerinNewZealand said:

Could you move the ball forward 2.5 inches/ narrower stance etc to get the Perfect Arc/Impact?

Ball at the bottom of arc impact is not “perfect”.  Where he is now is better.

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2023 at 12:48 AM, anth said:

To answer the OP and anyone else that's interested, here's my initial thoughts after one session at the range (range balls & mats unfortunately).  My current set is the original ZX7 but I am a Srixon guy and I have played:

• 765/965 combo
  • 785/Z-Forged combo
  • ZX7

• They look wonderful, both in the bag and at address.  When I first saw the release pictures I was a little underwhelmed.  They are very nice when they are in your hand.  At address the blade length is generous and the topline is medium/small.  If you've played Srixon before these dimensions will be familiar to you, although they are noticeably more compact than the OG ZX7 (I think they are probably closer to the ZX7 II which appear smaller to my eye than their predecessor) 
  • The feel is exactly what you'd want in this type of blade.  Even with range balls there was that lovely sensation of soft yet solid.  To me, these feel markedly better than the OG Z-Forged, which I found to lack that nice feel.  I don't know if that was because of design or manufacturing, but the ZX7 felt so much nicer than the Z-Forged, and the Z-Forged II are one step further
  • Forgiveness is what you'd expect.  Srixon have always managed to make a blade that is probably more playable than others - that could be because of the added blade length, design, V-Sole?  Who knows really?  But they're a blade so forgiveness is relative.  Compared to the ZX7 I would say they are slightly more demanding, but only slightly
  • I would say they are mid-trajectory, which again is what I'd expect from these kind of clubs.  Comparing the 5 irons (my longest iron) - the ZFII was more mid, where the ZX7 was higher.  Ultimately I will need time on the course to understand whether that is something I can play with.  I may end up swapping out the 5 and/or 6 irons if the trajectory influnces carry/landing angle detrimentally
  • Overall I'm really happy so far.  I know there will be days where the ballstriking won't be there and I'll question why I'm playing blades.  In that regard this was really a "because I can" purchase - I'm under no illusion that they'll make me better or there are things I'll be able to do with these that I can't with the ZX7.  To that end the ZX7 will stay in the garage for now.  I was thinking that I might combo the 5 and 6 irons if required but having spent an hour or so hitting the 5 iron it's amazing how much larger the ZX7 appeared when I picked it up.  The ZX7 II would probably blend more seamlessly.  But that's the big takeaway for me so far - other than the trajectory, the ZFII 5-iron feels just as playable as the ZX7.

Happy to answer any other questions

Forgiveness is what you'd expect.  Srixon have always managed to make a blade that is probably more playable than others - that could be because of the added blade length, design, V-Sole?  Who knows really?  But they're a blade so forgiveness is relative.  Compared to the ZX7 I would say they are slightly more demanding, but only slightly

⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️ this is what I've been trying to find for hours.

Really like zx7 MK2 but have always been a blade player and been trying to find this sweet spot between something that looks as I want and gives me help as someone steeper. Currently using this year's cobra CB which is alright.

But really want to get back into a blade and z-forged if playability isn't loads different to zx7 could be the call. I'm a decent ball striker but forgiveness comes for me in through the turf and VT sole gives me that so looks like I can go back to blade if I look at z-forged

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...