2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Why so little hype around the Srixon z forged II???

swingtingz

26 minutes ago, predison said:

Reviving this topic, to the above question - these do not feel as harsh as a traditional blade though and could be a great top end combo set option (think 8-PW). Outside of this though, I agree it does seem hard to justify the usage when the ZX7s do the job for tour players

Justin Rose was gaming these recently FWIW.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, predison said:

Would be awesome to hear his explanation for using these over the zx7s. I have these forged ii's (8-PW) and love them.

Soles are a touch thinner

• Thanks 1

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Only recently "discovered" the unique consistency of both the ZX5 & ZX7 MK II irons with the Modus 120's.  This predictable consistency in distance and dispersion is perhaps what it's all about, not what the club looks like in the bag or at address.  Which club will yield the tightest average relative target performance on days when the swing is a little off, or there was no time for warm up, or no play for 7 days, or fatigue is setting in on the 16th hole on a hot humid day?

Spoiler

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

L.A.B. ZF3 35" 69* w/2* Pistol Grip

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

• 1 month later...

I have to say I disagree alot with what folks are saying about the z-forged 2. I just picked up a set from 5-PW with modus tour120 shafts and theyre gorgeous irons and extremely powerful with the majority of the weight behind the hitting area. 

Last year I was using 5-PW zx5 Mk2's with recoil 95 stiff shafts - not sure what happened over the winter but players distance irons now... to me look way too "fat" behind the ball. The z-forged has the slimmest topline and smallest heads from toe-heel in their iron line up; which to me makes them infinitely easier to hit as you're more likely to hit the centre on a smaller club face. Perhaps its a mental thing but theyre fantastic irons.

WITB

Driver - ZX 7 MK2 - UST Proforce V2 HL F4 shaft - Cut to 44.5" (8g toe and heel weights)

3 wood - ZX MK2 - UST Proforce V2 HL F4 shaft - Cut to 42.25"

7 wood - ZX MK2 - UST Proforce V2 HL F4 shaft - Cut to 42" |3 Iron - ZX MK2 utility - UST DART 90g

9 wood - Cleveland Halo - UST Proforce V2 HL F4 shaft - Cut to 41.25" | 4 iron - ZX MK2 utility UST DART 90g

5-PW - Z-Forged MK2 - Modus3 Tour120

50,54,58 Degree Vokey wedges (SM8/9)

Putter - Taylormade B29 Reserve

Ball - Srixon Z-STAR Diamond | Kirkland Signature Performance +

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MixedBag_QC said:

I have to say I disagree alot with what folks are saying about the z-forged 2. I just picked up a set from 5-PW with modus tour120 shafts and theyre gorgeous irons and extremely powerful with the majority of the weight behind the hitting area. 

Last year I was using 5-PW zx5 Mk2's with recoil 95 stiff shafts - not sure what happened over the winter but players distance irons now... to me look way too "fat" behind the ball. The z-forged has the slimmest topline and smallest heads from toe-heel in their iron line up; which to me makes them infinitely easier to hit as you're more likely to hit the centre on a smaller club face. Perhaps its a mental thing but theyre fantastic irons.

WITB

Driver - ZX 7 MK2 - UST Proforce V2 HL F4 shaft - Cut to 44.5" (8g toe and heel weights)

3 wood - ZX MK2 - UST Proforce V2 HL F4 shaft - Cut to 42.25"

7 wood - ZX MK2 - UST Proforce V2 HL F4 shaft - Cut to 42" |3 Iron - ZX MK2 utility - UST DART 90g

9 wood - Cleveland Halo - UST Proforce V2 HL F4 shaft - Cut to 41.25" | 4 iron - ZX MK2 utility UST DART 90g

5-PW - Z-Forged MK2 - Modus3 Tour120

50,54,58 Degree Vokey wedges (SM8/9)

Putter - Taylormade B29 Reserve

Ball - Srixon Z-STAR Diamond | Kirkland Signature Performance +

I think the  zforged ii are most underrated irons. They look and feel great. Might be my favorite looking iron. And easy to hit for a blade. They are so tough to chunk which is normally the downside to most blades… very thin soles. These look and perform just like them but the benefit of that v sole. 

I had to move away from these irons.

I loved the look of them but I think ultimately they were a touch too demanding for my game.  I've sinced moved into ZX5 Mk II for the naturally higher ball flight.  It's not that the ZF II were that difficult to hit, more that it was difficult for me to hit the ball high, which is what I want to see, especially with the longer irons.

I could see playing these again, but most likely only as a combo set with the ZX7 for that little bit extra help.

Again though, beautiful irons...

🥲

TaylorMade Qi10 Designer Series (Black Out) 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX

On 3/22/2024 at 9:49 AM, Sam217 said:

Justin Rose was gaming these recently FWIW.

Adam Scott and Jason Day too.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus 6.0
3 Wood: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 13* Fujikura Motore F3 70-S
Hybrid: Ping Rapture v2 17*
Irons: Srixon 745 TT DG S300 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist 718 ap2 50* GW
Titleist SM6 54* M grind SW
Putter: Swag the Cooler

8 hours ago, toastinato said:

I believe AS and JD we’re both using the zx7 Mkii. 

Adam Scott combo's and zx5, zx7 and zF2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Cobra DarkSpeed LS 10.5° - Ventus Blue 6x
3W: TaylorMade Qi10 15° - Kai'li White 70x
5W: TaylorMade Qi10 18° - Kai'li White 70x
Irons: Cobra King Tour 4-5 Cobra King CB 6-9 Cobra King MB Pw-Gw - Modus 120x
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 TourRack 54 mid & 58 low - Modus 125 Wedge Shaft
Putter: L.A.B Mezz.1 Max w Accra shaft

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2024 at 2:31 AM, anth said:

I had to move away from these irons.

I loved the look of them but I think ultimately they were a touch too demanding for my game.  I've sinced moved into ZX5 Mk II for the naturally higher ball flight.  It's not that the ZF II were that difficult to hit, more that it was difficult for me to hit the ball high, which is what I want to see, especially with the longer irons.

I could see playing these again, but most likely only as a combo set with the ZX7 for that little bit extra help.

Again though, beautiful irons...

🥲

Are the long irons hard to hit? I'm playing t100 at the moment and I can't take my eyes off the z forged ii

TSR2 9* - Tour AD CQ 6x

TM stealth plus 15* - Tour AD CQ 7X

TM stealth plus 19* - Tour AD XC 7X / TSR3 HY 19* - Tour AD DI 95X

T100 (2021) 4-P - Modus 120x

SM8 52 12F ,56 08M, 60 08M/04T - Modus 120x

1 hour ago, no.1kawhifan said:

Are the long irons hard to hit? I'm playing t100 at the moment and I can't take my eyes off the z forged ii

Define hard? What's your HC? No it isn't everything in irons but it's a lot. Yardage you play and GIR per round. You shouldn't be playing blades if you aren't compressing your irons shots consistently on course, hitting your yardages and hitting greens otherwise you're just making the game harder. They're pretty forgiving in that Srixon is good at moving the weight away from the hosel. The CG is higher so you can't get great results if you're flippy. I enjoy the 4i in this set and have no problems hitting it. I prefer them to the ZX7.

Edited by Tree Levino

19 minutes ago, Tree Levino said:

Define hard? What's your HC? No it isn't everything in irons but it's a lot. Yardage you play and GIR per round. You shouldn't be playing blades if you aren't compressing your irons shots consistently on course, hitting your yardages and hitting greens otherwise you're just making the game harder. They're pretty forgiving in that Srixon is good at moving the weight away from the hosel. The CG is higher so you can't get great results if you're flippy. I enjoy the 4i in this set and have no problems hitting it. I prefer them to the ZX7.

I play off 4, I compress the ball quite well, hit around 10-11 greens per round. I find the t100 to be a bit “stuck” in the short irons but the long irons are fine, the z forged ii look so pure and I find the center of the face 8/10 times on a 7 iron, my putting is horrible and is why I’m a 4, jailbird db 👀👀. That’s for another thread tho 😁. Have you hit the t100? if you have, is it much harder to hit? Thanks

TSR2 9* - Tour AD CQ 6x

13 minutes ago, no.1kawhifan said:

I play off 4, I compress the ball quite well, hit around 10-11 greens per round. I find the t100 to be a bit “stuck” in the short irons but the long irons are fine, the z forged ii look so pure and I find the center of the face 8/10 times on a 7 iron, my putting is horrible and is why I’m a 4, jailbird db 👀👀. That’s for another thread tho 😁. Have you hit the t100? if you have, is it much harder to hit? Thanks

I have never loved the T100. Don't love the turf interaction (much prefer the 620 CB over the T100). If you're hitting 10-11 greens then yeah, short game is an issue for sure. For a long of players a little more launch and lower spin in the long irons will help them gap better and that would be the only reason a utility or ZX7 etc might be better in a 4 or 5 iron. You might get similar ball speeds but start to bunch up because of the spin. Otherwise the set is just as playable to me as the T100. FWIW I think the T150 is a much better iron than the T100 and comparatively you'll find more help in the T150 vs the ZFii while looking pretty darn similar size wise. 

The truth is that if you hit your driver a good distance for the tees you play, you'll rarely be hitting longer irons in aside from par 3s where you have a perfect lie. I play 7100 yards most of the season for run rounds and comp and 6600 for our men's league. Yesterday was our first day of men's league and I had one hole, which is a 465 yards uphill par 4 that has long rough and often plays into wind, where I had more than an 9 iron in. Wouldn't matter what I played for most of the holes. If you tend to flip or mash it off the toe the odd time etc yeah you'd be better off with help but only if you're regularly hitting mid to long irons into holes on your course. 

Edited by Tree Levino
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tree Levino said:

I have never loved the T100. Don't love the turf interaction (much prefer the 620 CB over the T100). If you're hitting 10-11 greens then yeah, short game is an issue for sure. For a long of players a little more launch and lower spin in the long irons will help them gap better and that would be the only reason a utility or ZX7 etc might be better in a 4 or 5 iron. You might get similar ball speeds but start to bunch up because of the spin. Otherwise the set is just as playable to me as the T100. FWIW I think the T150 is a much better iron than the T100 and comparatively you'll find more help in the T150 vs the ZFii while looking pretty darn similar size wise. 

The truth is that if you hit your driver a good distance for the tees you play, you'll rarely be hitting longer irons in aside from par 3s where you have a perfect lie. I play 7100 yards most of the season for run rounds and comp and 6600 for our men's league. Yesterday was our first day of men's league and I had one hole, which is a 465 yards uphill par 4 that has long rough and often plays into wind, where I had more than an 9 iron in. Wouldn't matter what I played for most of the holes. If you tend to flip or mash it off the toe the odd time etc yeah you'd be better off with help but only if you're regularly hitting mid to long irons into holes on your course. 

I’m not particularly a long hitter tbh, I hit a squeeze cut that goes about 260 carry in the winter and 275-80 carry in the summer. I basically have 3 wood or t150 3 iron into par 5s, I don’t mind a zx7 4 iron but i’m just not sure if zx7 is more forgiving than t150, because if zx7 is more forgiving than t150, then it wouldn’t make sense to have a t150 3 iron. I normally hit 3 iron or driver in most par 4s so I basically have mid to short irons in most the time. The zx7 looks way too chunky to me… I know most tour guys play it but after playing t100, I can’t deal with the topline. And the t100 don’t feel great tbh. It’s fine, but there is definitely better stuff out there like the z forged ii. I just hate that the short irons feel stuck through the turf…. And the golfwrx goat Adam scott has it in the bag, So it’s gotta be pretty damn good! Are the Z forged ii your gamer irons rn? Thanks

TSR2 9* - Tour AD CQ 6x

9 hours ago, no.1kawhifan said:

No experience with the T100

Relative to other blades I wouldn’t think the ZFII are difficult to hit at all. But as per my post, I found it difficult to get the ball up in the air with the longer irons, so while it’s true that you might not have that many long irons into greens at your local course, the last thing I wanted to see was a well struck 5 iron not hold the green because I just couldn’t elevate it enough and/or hit it with enough spin to hold the green

• Like 1

TaylorMade Qi10 Designer Series (Black Out) 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX