2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Scottsdale advice needed

peyvand123

which courses to play
We are taking a trip to the scottsdale area in June for 4 days and would like some advice on the must play courses in the area. we want to play the best that Scottsdale has to offer. Price is not a concern as it seems that in June the prices go way down anyway. Here are the ones I have in mind so far. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

I need to choose 4

Troon North- not sure which course
We-ko-pa- again, not sure which course
Grayhawk
Southern dunes
dinosaur Mt.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Saguaro course at We-Ko-Pa is the best in state (public) IMO.

Vista Verde if you want great golf, not worried about the peripheral experience (like no clubhouse).

Two thumbs up for Troon N and Southern Dunes.

It seems you are willing to drive, then check out the Raven @ Verrado and/or Golf Club Estrella (both on the west side of Phoenix)

June is the timeframe when many courses punch the greens, so ASK when making reservations.

I was in town this past weekend and selected both of the We-Ko-Pa courses for my first desert golf experience.......I think I chose wisely. They both lived up to all the hype. The courses were in immaculate condition and and the service was superb. The fact that there is absolutley no houses or buildings of any kind on the course makes it really special, IMO. I Cannot recommend it more.

[quote name='tjy355' timestamp='1306369713' post='3262933']

Vista Verde if you want great golf, not worried about the peripheral experience (like no clubhouse).

It seems you are willing to drive, then check out the Raven @ Verrado and/or Golf Club Estrella (both on the west side of Phoenix)

June is the timeframe when many courses punch the greens, so ASK when making reservations.
[/quote]

Thanks, I keep hearing good things about Dinosaur Mt. Is it that good?

Always enjoy Grayhawk, either course. If you are looking for value, try the Sanctuary. Phil just bought it.

Played Sanctuary at the weekend and wouldn't recommend it at the minute. The layout is good, tight desert style target golf. However when I played on sunday afternoon it was seriously busy slow golf. Oh and the greens were in bad bad shape.

And the day got worse when 2 guys confronted us at the cart return for accidentally hitting into them on 18 (it was getting pretty dark and they were 290 out). They had been shanking fairway woods off the ladies tees when we were behind them.... Apparently the guy said he plays 50 rounds a year and he's never had a problem before.... This amused me greatly!

Also played Vista Verde in the morning. They are putting a lot of water on the course at the minute so the fairways were soft and it was playing pretty long. Really nice course though! (Picture from the 1st tee below!)

5760740816_3586e51878.jpg">

[quote name='tjy355' timestamp='1306369713' post='3262933']

[/quote]

+1 on Troon North and Southern Dunes.

Also played out at GC of Estrella a month or so ago (on Mother's Day!) after hearing a lot of good stuff on here. Its a very long drive from Phoenix. Course was good, in particular the last 3 holes. Slightly overrated IMO, with people ranking it higher due to a couple of dramatic finishing holes. Just my thoughts :)

Personally I would do 36 at Wekopa and 36 at Troon

Grayhawk notoriously has soggy fairways during the early summer.

If you want to do something with more variety

Saguaro
Troon Pinnacle
Southern Dunes
Dinosaur Mtn

You will play 4 totally different styles of desert golf at 4 very good courses.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Always enjoy Grayhawk, either course. If you are looking for value, try the Sanctuary. Phil just bought it.

Played Sanctuary at the weekend and wouldn't recommend it at the minute. The layout is good, tight desert style target golf. However when I played on sunday afternoon it was seriously busy slow golf. Oh and the greens were in bad bad shape.

And the day got worse when 2 guys confronted us at the cart return for accidentally hitting into them on 18 (it was getting pretty dark and they were 290 out). They had been shanking fairway woods off the ladies tees when we were behind them.... Apparently the guy said he plays 50 rounds a year and he's never had a problem before.... This amused me greatly!

Also played Vista Verde in the morning. They are putting a lot of water on the course at the minute so the fairways were soft and it was playing pretty long. Really nice course though! (Picture from the 1st tee below!)

5760740816_3586e51878.jpg">

Good intel on the sanctuary, thanks!

[quote name='peyvand123' timestamp='1306332262' post='3261296']
We are taking a trip to the scottsdale area in June for 4 days and would like some advice on the must play courses in the area. we want to play the best that Scottsdale has to offer. Price is not a concern as it seems that in June the prices go way down anyway. Here are the ones I have in mind so far. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

I need to choose 4

Troon North- not sure which course
We-ko-pa- again, not sure which course
Grayhawk
Southern dunes
dinosaur Mt.
[/quote]

The ones on your list are all top choices near Phoenix and worth playing. I am a fan of Southern Dunes and Vista Verde. They are less well known than Troon, We-Ko-Pa and Grayhawk but at least as good and less expensive. Vista Verde and one of the courses at Troon North makes for a great 36 hole day.

We-Ko-Pa Saguaro is as good as any public access course in AZ.

Here are links to photos of the courses on your list (and Vista Verde)

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/580154555gmlmsX"]Vista Verde[/url]

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/557661553IzfCwd"]Grayhawk Raptor & Talon and We-Ko=Pa Cholla[/url]

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/563720024mtsCgK"]WKP Saguarao and Troon North[/url]

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/557662452fZmNcM"]Dinosuar Mtn[/url]

[url="http://sports.webshots.com/album/579754338vryUaV"]Southern Dunes[/url]

Saguaro at We Ko Pa for sure. Raptor at Greyhawk. I'd skip Troon North - I'm unimpressed. If I had to play it - definitely Pinnacle.

I like Talking Stick also. And the Westin Kierland is a nice conditioned course as well.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

I would Start out with GreyHawk Rapture . Fun Solid Layout . Always in good shape when I have played it .

Troon and Wekopa you can't go wrong with either of them .. I ve played the Monument @ Troon and Loved it. It might be my Favorite Course, out at WeKopa.. I don't think they had one blade of grass out of place . Fantastic Conditions awesome layout and no houses.

Haven't played Southern Dunes yet . I hear good things about it .

The Dinosaur @ Gold Canyon is top notch also . If the courses you play regularly are flat and boring this place will blow you away .

Good Luck , and enjoy the trip.

Ill say it again coming from a local who lives 10 min from the course skip grayhawk. There are better options for both conditions, design and price. Let me know if you need any extra players I would be glad to join you on either a sun or mon and share some local knowledge.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Heard a lot of good things about Dinosaur Mt. Very hilly course apparently. Avoid the Sidewinder, didn't care for it too much. If you are going to go out there look into Superstition Mountain. I hear nothing but great things, it's on the list to play this summer. Nichlaus design. Bottled water on every other hole, private course that went public and it June I think it's 50 bucks or so to play.

[quote name='gotj1' timestamp='1306632223' post='3269770']
Heard a lot of good things about Dinosaur Mt. Very hilly course apparently. Avoid the Sidewinder, didn't care for it too much. If you are going to go out there look into Superstition Mountain. I hear nothing but great things, it's on the list to play this summer. Nichlaus design. Bottled water on every other hole, private course that went public and it June I think it's 50 bucks or so to play.
[/quote]

Playing Superstition Mountain- Prospector tomorrow. Will let you know how the course is! It looks like its going to be very windy tomorrow so I may be posting a large score! haha!

Played Lost Gold a few months back and it was pretty good!

And The Boulders is nice as previously mentioned by others- I'm looking forward to playing there again in a month or so when the prices drop more!

[size="3"]I'm headed there also on those exact days. I'm from Louisiana, hanging out for a few days away from the work life. How many people do you have playing with you? If you have a spot open maybe we can catch a round together. Let me know. (I'm around 1 handicap)

Last time I was there I played both of the Troon North courses because they were so close to the four seasons resort. I really enjoyed them both, fun to play! [/size]

[quote name='Oilman83' timestamp='1306833224' post='3274306']
[size="3"]I'm headed there also on those exact days. I'm from Louisiana, hanging out for a few days away from the work life. How many people do you have playing with you? If you have a spot open maybe we can catch a round together. Let me know. (I'm around 1 handicap)

Last time I was there I played both of the Troon North courses because they were so close to the four seasons resort. I really enjoyed them both, fun to play! [/size]

[/quote]

We are from Louisiana also. We have 4 people going on the trip. Not sure if you can play 5 people, but if you can, you are welcome to join us.