Right Eye Dominant players - need putter advice

TCMP

I am a right handed right eye dominant player. I've recently been experimenting with my setup and have found that moving the ball quite a ways forward in my stance allows me to see my intended putting line so much better than my conventional ball position (slightly ahead of centered in my stance). This ball position gets my right eye well behind the ball and allows a great visual of the line.

The issue with this is I tend to hit more pulls with it so far forward. I also hit up on the ball quite a bit with it this far forward (not sure if that is bad or good).

I currently use a 2 ball Center shaft (faced balanced) at 33" long. I feel like it's helped me over the conventional blade/plumbers neck as I don't hit pulls with this one like I used to.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomena? What putter did you find to work the best (if any) with a further forward ball postion? I feel like there is something to gain with being able to really visualize your line before you make the stroke.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really struggling with this right now. I have always played face balanced putter and seeing my line is very important to me before I pull the trigger. I played a Yes tracy for years and recently went to a Nike method 004. My results have varied for months with my putting. Some days I can not mke a putt, other days I can't miss. i have recently tinkered with a seemore fgp because the face is so far forward it assits me with seeing the line better. I am also interested in a few Odyssey models (DART and 2 ball). I know confidence is an issue, but it's hard to have confidence with sich varied results. Right now I could hit every green in regulation and shoot 72. I usually don't 3 putt, but am having a terrible time with longer putts.

I wonder if you are standing close enough to the ball? Try setting up to the ball as you normally do, and without changing your spine angle, drop a ball from your left eye straight down. It SHOULD land just very slightly inside of and behind the ball on the ground.

I play the ball just slightly forward of center with my face balanced SeeMore mallet, and can see the line just fine. In fact, in order to use the SeeMore system, you are not supposed to play the ball way forward.

[quote name='atlanta golfer' timestamp='1306420061' post='3264085']
I wonder if you are standing close enough to the ball? Try setting up to the ball as you normally do, and without changing your spine angle, drop a ball from your left eye straight down. It SHOULD land just very slightly inside of and behind the ball on the ground.

I play the ball just slightly forward of center with my face balanced SeeMore mallet, and can see the line just fine. In fact, in order to use the SeeMore system, you are not supposed to play the ball way forward.
[/quote]

Good question. I play a 33" putter and stand relatively close to the ball. I have done the "drop" test and have found the ball to land about on the same line as the ball on the ground, maybe just a bit inside and it falls just behind the ball on the ground.

Minhjn has given me advice on putter selection - the seemore SB1w has been talked about. I am considering this as well as a Kombi right now. The seemore has me intrigued because of the alignment feature.

[quote name='TCMP' timestamp='1306421202' post='3264131']

[/quote]

Good question. I play a 33" putter and stand relatively close to the ball. I have done the "drop" test and have found the ball to land about on the same line as the ball on the ground, maybe just a bit inside and it falls just behind the ball on the ground.

Minhjn has given me advice on putter selection - the seemore SB1w has been talked about. I am considering this as well as a Kombi right now. The seemore has me intrigued because of the alignment feature.
[/quote]

The Seemore SB1w is what I have, and it is an absolute star. It is similar to but different than the Kombi. The main differences are:
1. the Seemore alignment system
2. the Seemore comes in black
3. the Seemore is a center shafted design (actually not quite center shaft but almost)
4. the Seemore has a user-replaceable weight system so you can change the head weights

One other thing about the Seemore SB1 and SB1w that you might be interested in ..... it has a fairly large amount of weighting added to the back, but not quite as much on the outside perimeters (heel and toe side). The concept is to give you high moi and yet still allow a modest arc type of stroke. Even though it is face balanced.

Bottom line, obviously, you just need to find a store and go try all the ones you are interested in.

[quote name='atlanta golfer' timestamp='1306431845' post='3264540']
[quote name='TCMP' timestamp='1306421202' post='3264131']

[/quote]

[/quote]

The Seemore SB1w is what I have, and it is an absolute star. It is similar to but different than the Kombi. The main differences are:
1. the Seemore alignment system
2. the Seemore comes in black
3. the Seemore is a center shafted design (actually not quite center shaft but almost)
4. the Seemore has a user-replaceable weight system so you can change the head weights

One other thing about the Seemore SB1 and SB1w that you might be interested in ..... it has a fairly large amount of weighting added to the back, but not quite as much on the outside perimeters (heel and toe side). The concept is to give you high moi and yet still allow a modest arc type of stroke. Even though it is face balanced.

Bottom line, obviously, you just need to find a store and go try all the ones you are interested in.
[/quote]

That's the trouble. I don't have a seemore dealer within 3.5 hours drive from me. TGW is the closest Titleist dealer and they have just about every brand but Seemore.

Thanks for your input.

[quote name='TCMP' timestamp='1306416912' post='3263969']
I am a right handed right eye dominant player. I've recently been experimenting with my setup and have found that moving the ball quite a ways forward in my stance allows me to see my intended putting line so much better than my conventional ball position (slightly ahead of centered in my stance). This ball position gets my right eye well behind the ball and allows a great visual of the line.

The issue with this is I tend to hit more pulls with it so far forward. I also hit up on the ball quite a bit with it this far forward (not sure if that is bad or good).

I currently use a 2 ball Center shaft (faced balanced) at 33" long. I feel like it's helped me over the conventional blade/plumbers neck as I don't hit pulls with this one like I used to.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomena? What putter did you find to work the best (if any) with a further forward ball postion? I feel like there is something to gain with being able to really visualize your line before you make the stroke.
[/quote]

I have heard and seen in the past that right I dominant players should use a putter with more offset,either heel shafted blade or anser type or even a offset mallet. The center shaft putter you are using actually has a bit of onset...meaning the face is ahead of your hands and shaft. One other thing you might try is opening your stance a bit too.

Good luck

Ping 410 Lst 9 w/ Black Rdx smoke 6.0

Cally Sub Zero 15 with Fuji Xlr8 Pro 73 TS
Cally Big Bertha Alpa 816 5wd 18 Aldila Rogue 70 R
Cally Epic Tour issue 4 Hybrid w/KBS Proto 65s
Cally X-Tour (1st gen) w XP/95 R-300 5-pw
Cally Pm19 54/58 w/KBS Hi Rev 115
Taylor Spider Tour black with white T

[quote name='Mr.I302' timestamp='1306440610' post='3264875']

[/quote]

I have heard and seen in the past that right I dominant players should use a putter with more offset,either heel shafted blade or anser type or even a offset mallet. The center shaft putter you are using actually has a bit of onset...meaning the face is ahead of your hands and shaft. One other thing you might try is opening your stance a bit too.

Good luck
[/quote]

That's exactly what Minhjn said as well. You guys know your stuff and I appreciate the advice! I am looking at an full shaft offset center shafted putter now.

[quote name='Mr.I302' timestamp='1306440610' post='3264875']

[/quote]

Good luck
[/quote]

Funny you say that as my wife is a optician, I'm right eye dominant and went to a heel shafted putter ( not for eye domiance reasons :lol: ) but have made more putts this year than i've ever made in the past 15 years. so maybe their is some truth to that setup.

Let me start by saying that I think SeeMore makes great putters.  But for me, they just don't work.  If you are right eye dominant, you won't be able to play the ball forward in your stance and use the alignment features as SeeMore intends that feature to be used.  To use the alignment system, you have to setup with the putter shaft in line with your dominant eye.  Right eye dominant players can't do that and play the ball forward.  If you like to place your hands forward you'll also have a problem using the alignment feature.  So before you decide on a SeeMore, try it out and make sure it looks comfortable in the setup position for you.

I'm sure someone will jump in and point out the Zach Johnson is right eye dominant and uses a SeeMore. Well, that is why his hands are back and not forward.
Read this for his comments. http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/short-game/putting/puttinggrips

[i]The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind. -Bob Dylan[/i]
[i]Everything is dust in the wind. -Kansas[/i]

I am actually in the same boat. I am a lefty but play right handed clubs, and right eye dominant.
when I am on, I am on. I've always been using anser style putter.. but lately, I've changed to something totally whacky...

Scotty futura..

I like the fact that the ball is forward, and I can actually see the putt with BOTH eyes... I tried it with the long putter with similar ideas, but I just control the scotty better.

In the main bag:

Callaway Great Big Bertha Epic Subzero, 9, weight forward, Diamana W+63s, 45", D4
Cobra Bio Cell plus, 15 degree, Diamana BB 73s, tipped 1/2", 43"
Mizuno MP-Ti, 18 degree, Fubuki AX 73s, 42.5"
Callaway Apex, Kura Kage 80s, 23 degree
5-GW, Ping i20, Recoil Prototype 95s, red dot, + 1/4"
54S, 60C, Callaway MD3, 1 degree flat
Piretti Copper limited, 34.5", 365g, 3.5 loft, 70 lie.

In the Spare bag:

Ping i20, 9.5, Diamana Whiteboard 63s, 45"
Mizuno MP-Ti, stripped finish, 15 degree, Diamana D+ 73s, tipped 1/2", 43"
Adams A12 Pro, 20 and 23 degree, Matrix Altus S
5-GW, Mizuno JPX 825 Pro, Steelfiber i95s, soft-step once
54, 60, Mizuno R-12, DG Spinner +
Scotty Cameron Fastback custom, 33.5", Rosemark grip, 365g

[/quote]

I am right eye dominate - and play the ball slightly back of center for that reason, so my right eye can align with the ball through to the cup. I came to realize this when I used Odyssey's putter fitting tool. Turned out shaft angle (I was playing a WhiteHot center shafted putter at the time) and putter loft plays into results. When I switched to the style of putter it suggested (my current putter) 3 putts were almost eliminated and more birdies resulted.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[/quote]
Are you sure it's not just a poor LA for you? My guess would be that it is and lie angle certainly plays a role.

It seems to me like a person first needs to find a natural feeling stroke that works for them. Then after that, they need to identify the ball position where the face angle of the putter will be perpindicular to the target line as it impacts the ball. Anything further back from that will result in a push, and anything further forward of that will result in a pull. Because all but the shortest putts will have some type of arc in the stroke. Unless of course you have learned to manipulate the putter and can reliably repeat that manipulation.

[quote name='golfbum9' timestamp='1306518056' post='3267157']

[/quote]
Are you sure it's not just a poor LA for you? My guess would be that it is and lie angle certainly plays a role.
[/quote]

No, lie angle was fit to me at 69º and 2.5º loft. I have a slight arc stroke and play the ball just ahead of center in my stance.

i am a right eye dom..... tried a center shaft to help with aligment ... like you it was easier to line up forward in stance. but that causes issues... i went to a heel shaft half offest and i am now making the four and five footer i would miss do to set up. i have an inside down the line stroke type..

[quote name='golfbum9' timestamp='1306531403' post='3267620']
Have you tried a plumbers neck? It should help with the hand position at impact.
[/quote]

I hit lots of pulls with a plumbers neck - maybe due to the heel/toe weighting of most blades.

[quote name='Mizgoodie' timestamp='1306531543' post='3267630']
i am a right eye dom..... tried a center shaft to help with aligment ... like you it was easier to line up forward in stance. but that causes issues... i went to a heel shaft half offest and i am now making the four and five footer i would miss do to set up. i have an inside down the line stroke type..
[/quote]

Is your heel shaft half offset a mallet style? I assume not faced balanced?

[quote name='TCMP' timestamp='1306531949' post='3267653']
Have you tried a plumbers neck? It should help with the hand position at impact.
[/quote]

I hit lots of pulls with a plumbers neck - maybe due to the heel/toe weighting of most blades.
[/quote]
No offense man really, but it sounds like it's your stroke.

My putting has improved tremendously by using the line in my ball to set my line. I check the line from 5 ft behind the ball, and then I just trust the line. There have been times standing over the ball that I want to adjust my line due to eye dominance, but now I just trust the line and my only thought is to have a smooth stroke.

I don't have any alignment aids on my putter, I just rely on the line on the ball. One less thing to worry about. In my opinion, once you can trust your line, it doesn't really matter what style of putter you are using from an alignment standpoint. You cab use whatever putter is best suited for your stroke.

Ping G410 9* Alta CB
Ping G410 17*, 19*, 22* Hybrid Alta CB
PXG  0311P Recoil 75 Dart
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 54*, 58*
PXG Closer
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1378338-pkshooter-witb-2016-all-ping/"]WITB Link[/url]

Kendall,

I too am right eye / right hand dominant and have been amazed with how much better I feel with less offset! I prefer a flow neck though. I found this out from RC and Spencer from My Golf Performance who I believe have a great view on club fitting that is simple and accounts for player prefrence as well. Right and right should first try zero to 3/4 offset.

Now, have you tried from a centered ball position, to either forward press or bounce the putter. I personally, cannot begin a good stroke without a trigger so I think this might help. It is easy to forget how this was common place pre Tiger era where he and a lot of subsequent players start from a very static position both in putting and the full swing.

Conrad

[quote name='TCMP' timestamp='1306531949' post='3267653']
[/quote]

[quote name='Mizgoodie' timestamp='1306531543' post='3267630']
[/quote]

Is your heel shaft half offset a mallet style? I assume not faced balanced?

[/quote]

yea not face balanced, used method 003 and rife abaco and bimini ..

i have tried a couple of short slant neck putters and they did feel good but , the aligment seemed easier with the heel mallet

TCMP, without knowing what is going on in your stroke mechanics it is actually going to be a process of trial and error.

If your stroke is truly natural and arcing you may have over cooked the move of the ball forward.

The more arc in the stroke the shorter the incidence of square club face on the target line.

Your 69* lie angle is a little flatter and will contribute to arc if the stroke is on plane and the plane is dictated by shaft angle.

As always I would suggest a baseline analysis with on a SAM PuttLab and a full fitting session for both aim ability and offset configuration.

A more simplistic fix may be the semantic "take the face to the target" which may reduce the amount of face rotation you employ.

Glen Coombe
The Putting Doctor “Retired!”
Level 3 SAM PuttLab Instructor
Carribean Represemtative SAM Sports
Creator of Perfection Platforms
Http://puttingdoctor.net

[quote name='golfbum9' timestamp='1306533521' post='3267704']

No offense man really, but it sounds like it's your stroke.
[/quote]
None taken. I think it is a combination of stroke and fit.

[quote name='pkshooter' timestamp='1306548793' post='3268165']
My putting has improved tremendously by using the line in my ball to set my line. I check the line from 5 ft behind the ball, and then I just trust the line. There have been times standing over the ball that I want to adjust my line due to eye dominance, but now I just trust the line and my only thought is to have a smooth stroke.

I don't have any alignment aids on my putter, I just rely on the line on the ball. One less thing to worry about. In my opinion, once you can trust your line, it doesn't really matter what style of putter you are using from an alignment standpoint. You cab use whatever putter is best suited for your stroke.
[/quote]

Good idea. I will give it a go today at the course!
[quote name='gsteitz' timestamp='1306551369' post='3268241']
Kendall,

I too am right eye / right hand dominant and have been amazed with how much better I feel with less offset! I prefer a flow neck though. I found this out from RC and Spencer from My Golf Performance who I believe have a great view on club fitting that is simple and accounts for player prefrence as well. Right and right should first try zero to 3/4 offset.

Now, have you tried from a centered ball position, to either forward press or bounce the putter. I personally, cannot begin a good stroke without a trigger so I think this might help. It is easy to forget how this was common place pre Tiger era where he and a lot of subsequent players start from a very static position both in putting and the full swing.

Conrad
[/quote]

I like a little forward press as the roll and distance control is more consistent for me. Thanks for your input.

[quote name='PuttingDoctor' timestamp='1306592523' post='3268801']
TCMP, without knowing what is going on in your stroke mechanics it is actually going to be a process of trial and error.

If your stroke is truly natural and arcing you may have over cooked the move of the ball forward.

The more arc in the stroke the shorter the incidence of square club face on the target line.

Your 69* lie angle is a little flatter and will contribute to arc if the stroke is on plane and the plane is dictated by shaft angle.

As always I would suggest a baseline analysis with on a SAM PuttLab and a full fitting session for both aim ability and offset configuration.

A more simplistic fix may be the semantic "take the face to the target" which may reduce the amount of face rotation you employ.
[/quote]

The nearest SAM is 3.5 hours, but may be well worth the trouble to schedule an appt. I have been interested in this for quite a while now. Thanks for your input!

If you are pulling putts with a plumbers neck, you probably need less offset. I had the same problem and found that if I played with a putter with around 1/2 shaft offset and lots of toe hang (zing style), my putting was dead on line. I have since gone back to a Newport head and started playing the ball about middle of my stance. Now putts with this putter are on line. Before, the ball was just slightly forward of center. This one change really helped me with my putting with this type of head. Btw, I'm right eye dominant and a righty.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

While the good "Putting Doctor" wrote you the right prescription, he's a putting specialist/expert. Here's where I have a problem understanding the title of your thread: Right Eye Dominant----!
If it means that at a specific distance, your left eye gets blurry and the right eye takes over then, I'm right eye dominant. I've also been wearing glasses all of my life, when the time came to start wearing bifocals and progressive lenses (around 40ish), I switched to contact lenses. I was told that I would still have to carry reading glasses since my arms would get shorter and shorter with time to read the fine print. I was suggested to wear one full strength and one half strength contacts to cover the shorter distances.

That was the right thing to do (in my case), the dashboard and left hand mirror in my car are not blurry anymore; at approx 4½-5 ft, both my eyes are clear. Inside and outside of that distance one or the other eye takes over. I can see the flag on a long par 5 as easilly as I can read the fine print on a pack of cigarettes.

I'm 5'7", standing over a putt my left eye becomes dominant, that's what I can't understand about the importance of being: Right Eye Dominant

I've been gaming the same PING Pal2, all of my short golfing life (7 yrs, I'll be 67 this Aug). I've tried tons of different putters at my local Golftown and, it's not worth the money to kick my Pal2 out of the bag.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

[quote name='mdgboxx' timestamp='1306610846' post='3269238']
While the good "Putting Doctor" wrote you the right prescription, he's a putting specialist/expert. Here's where I have a problem understanding the title of your thread: Right Eye Dominant----!
If it means that at a specific distance, your left eye gets blurry and the right eye takes over then, I'm right eye dominant. I've also been wearing glasses all of my life, when the time came to start wearing bifocals and progressive lenses (around 40ish), I switched to contact lenses. I was told that I would still have to carry reading glasses since my arms would get shorter and shorter with time to read the fine print. I was suggested to wear one full strength and one half strength contacts to cover the shorter distances.

That was the right thing to do (in my case), the dashboard and left hand mirror in my car are not blurry anymore; at approx 4½-5 ft, both my eyes are clear. Inside and outside of that distance one or the other eye takes over. I can see the flag on a long par 5 as easilly as I can read the fine print on a pack of cigarettes.

I'm 5'7", standing over a putt my left eye becomes dominant, that's what I can't understand about the importance of being: Right Eye Dominant

I've been gaming the same PING Pal2, all of my short golfing life (7 yrs, I'll be 67 this Aug). I've tried tons of different putters at my local Golftown and, it's not worth the money to kick my Pal2 out of the bag.
[/quote]

Eye dominance has nothing to do with clarity of vision. Being right eye dominant means that the focal point of your vision is in line with your right eye. I'm right eye dominant and my prescription is stronger for that eye. To determine which eye is dominant, make the OK sign with your hand. Hold your hand up so that you can see a specific object in the circle with both eyes open. Without moving your hand or head, close one eye. if the object moves, the eye you closed is the dominant one. If it stays put, the eye that is open is the dominant eye.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

[quote name='jokerusn' timestamp='1306613608' post='3269295']
[quote name='mdgboxx' timestamp='1306610846' post='3269238']

[/quote]

Eye dominance has nothing to do with clarity of vision. Being right eye dominant means that the focal point of your vision is in line with your right eye. I'm right eye dominant and my prescription is stronger for that eye. To determine which eye is dominant, make the OK sign with your hand. Hold your hand up so that you can see a specific object in the circle with both eyes open. Without moving your hand or head, close one eye. if the object moves, the eye you closed is the dominant one. If it stays put, the eye that is open is the dominant eye.
[/quote]

Now, I'm even more confused! I did exactly what you said and, guess what: When I hold my right hand up, I'm left eye dominant...When I hold my left hand up, I'm right eye dominant. Did you try this with each hand or just the one...I'm right handed so, of course, that's the first one I tried.....???? :WTF: I'm I normal ? I'm I visually impaired ? NOW I'm worried ! Just kidding, if I am impaired, I've lived this far with this handicap....I'll go the rest of the way :cheesy: .

EDIT: i GOT IT BACKWARDS... When I hold my right hand up... I'm RIGHT eye dominant... and so on...!

EDIT AGAIN...: I had it right the first time...! With my RIGHT hand up, the object moves if I close my LEFT eye... and so on...! :sorry:

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

[quote name='pkshooter' timestamp='1306548793' post='3268165']

[/quote]

This has helped me more than anything. I'm not a good putter by any means but I'm much better now that I'm lining my ball up on the intended line and trusting it. It has allowed me to think about nothing but the speed and visualizing the ball go in the hole. Great advice!

I'm right eye dominant and have been going through fits with my putting. Actually did a full Edel fitting when I was last in NY. I generally align to the left and needed something with no offset and very little loft. In the end though I felt like I had to set up with my hands behind the putter head which I just wasn't comfortable with. I then moved to an 8802 style putter with a big forward press. Just couldn't hit it on line consistently enough. I decided I needed to look at a putter with no offset and the ability to use a forward press with it. Read lots of good reviews on the odyssey Backstryke. Ended up buying a 34" Backstryke Blade and it is phenomenal. Onset, not much alignment aid (I use the face rather than any line) and a forward hand position mean that I am putting better than I have in literally decades!