eBay Issue--I was robbed.

Putt4doh

To File a Claim or Not?
So I came across a deal that was too good to pass up last night, so I used the BIN and paid immediately.

When I woke up this morning, I found a message from eBay informing me that my item was taken down because it was fraudulent...and to file a claim ( I paid via Paypal).

BUT, I recieved an email from the seller telling me it would ship within 24hrs and I should recieve within 5 days , etc, etc.

So here I am....

Who should I trust?

Why would someone who fraudelently posted an auction bother to send me an email?

What advantage would they gain by having me wait 5 days (or so) before filing a claim?

I've never had this happen to me before. Since I'm sure this has happened before, does anyone have any advice?

Thanks much.

Oh and to make matters worse, I'm short $ in my Paypal account----this seriously limits my ho'ing!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only items that they have taken down recently have been bare-knuckle gypsy fights - can I have a copy if it turns up? Joking aside, this happened to me and like you I wondered what on earth was happening. What it boiled down to was that it was an "alleged" copyright issue in my case and the owner was straight with me that he has also had to switch ids if ebay thinks that something "odd" is going on ie. if you do not have an auction/sale going and you try to contact potential buyers ebay will block you. If the msg from the seller looks for real and not system generated, then I wouldn't worry just yet. I would try to contact the seller, see what his feedback looks like overall, and try and get a feeling that this is an "ebay" thing and not a "seller" thing. Worst case if it doesn't turn up you are on good grounds to get a refund as they were the ones that suggested you did, and they cannot cop out now. Just my .02c. Let us know how it turns out whatever way it goes.

What's the feedback rating and overall history of the seller?

What you can do is go ahead and file the Paypal claim anyways and cancel once (or IF) the item is received.

The thing you want to be careful of is to NOT cancel the claim before item is received because stupid paypal/ebay only allows you to file one claim per auction, that's it . . . no exceptions. So if you file a claim and seller claims that he's working it out and trying to make it right with you and asks you to cancel the claim, don't do it. Just tell him that you'll cancel the claim once you get your goods . . . it can give the seller that extra incentive to actually ship, provided he has the goods to begin with.

Good luck.

What's the feedback rating and overall history of the seller?

What you can do is go ahead and file the Paypal claim anyways and cancel once (or IF) the item is received.

The thing you want to be careful of is to NOT cancel the claim before item is received because stupid paypal/ebay only allows you to file one claim per auction, that's it . . . no exceptions. So if you file a claim and seller claims that he's working it out and trying to make it right with you and asks you to cancel the claim, don't do it. Just tell him that you'll cancel the claim once you get your goods . . . it can give the seller that extra incentive to actually ship, provided he has the goods to begin with.

Good luck.

Great incite!

Thanks much.

Crooks are hijacking other Ebayer's accounts and posting fraudulent items. They usually want to be paid by money order, not Paypal, though.

I'd call Ebay and see what the deal is.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

I had this happen on a couple of clone heads that I knew were clones the Highly and the x460 for $20 bucks apiece, They are selling for much more and I wanted to try some 12* drivers. I emailed the seller and he replied that he would send them. I did not like the feel of the transaction so I called Ebay CS he said that as long as the seller replied I had a chance but was told to give it 10 days, and if it didn't show then file with paypal. The heads showed up and the seller was upright. You might have filed too soon if it was just the next day.

This happened to me recently. The result was a clone head and my money back from Paypal. If the seller is from China and shipping from there I'd be worried, because there is a huge influx of clones and knock offs coming from China and other Asian countries.

I wonder if it's the same person because I got a similar 2nd email after I had responded to the seller initially.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

This happened to me recently. The result was a clone head and my money back from Paypal. If the seller is from China and shipping from there I'd be worried, because there is a huge influx of clones and knock offs coming from China and other Asian countries.

I wonder if it's the same person because I got a similar 2nd email after I had responded to the seller initially.

Interesting...

My seller claimed in his original email that I should recieve them in 5 business days and if I wasn't satisfied, I could send them back for a refund!

If the auction hadnt' gotten shut down, I wouldn't even be worried right now.

But then again, I ain't playing no knock-off Bridgestones!

Come on then...post the auction so we can all have a nose ! And then supply our considered opinions ! You know you want to ...

I would except eBay took the whole thing down....it's not even on My eBay page....listed as a NIB Bridgestone CB's 3-PW w/DG SL's +1/2, 2* up with a BIN of $300. Low, but not ridiculously low. Seller had 100% feedback with at least 100 or so transactions. So if it's a phony deal, it's someone's hijacked account. In short, I have no way of seeing anything about the seller except from his emails...

He sent me another email saying that our deal is completely legit and I should get my clubs within 5 days (but no tracking #).

I pulled the trigger on the same clubs and am real interested to see how this turns out. Unlike you however, I decided not to process the purchase through PayPal until the next morning. When I checked my email, same as you, I received an email stating the claim was fraudulent & decided not go through with it. I am real curious to see how this turns out. I’m tempted to contact the seller myself if this deal is legit. Please PM me & let me know if it turns out that way.

Sort of along the same topic here about filing ebay/paypal claims... I filed my first on yesterday...

I had won an auction on about the 14 of august and paypalled the mo ney on the 18 for a new r7tp with speeder 757. I was worried that this club was not authentic, because of the pictures that were in his ad and the way that he had set up his ad, so I wrote him a message... He didn't reply, so I waited to pay and eventually he called me at home pleaing that it was real, so I paypalled on the 18.

I hadn't heard anything back from the guy after I paid. I had asked for him to send me the tracking number, so that I could sort out the customs issues and to also send me the shipping company (I requested usps, as they tend to have a better success shipping to canada). The guy didn't respond until yesterday when I filed a claim...

It was about 20 days since winning the auction and I hadn't heard anything back from the guy, so it made me think even more that the auction was hijacked or a fake and I had written him about 5 times. 3 hours after filing the claim I got a phone call from the guy stating that he couldn't buy dinner for his family, because his account was put onto hold (whether or not this is true I don't really care, becasue he hadn't replied to any of my e-mails sent). Over the phone he gave me the tracking number and I went over to the post office and picked up my package.

Filing ebay claim works and gets things done fast, if the seller is legit... It would be nice to hear that it works for illegitimate sellers as well... Keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update....

I talked with someone from Paypal Resolution today. Apparently this crook has to be given a chance to reply to PP's inquiries. He gets 10 days. If he doensn't come up with a legitimate tracking number AND signature confirmation, PP finds in my favor.

But there's one problem...if he doesn't have the money in his account, eBay only covers you for up $200 MINUS a $25 service fee. So I'm out the difference.

They will, however, put a lock on his account until he pays it off or the money arrives in his account. But if he's savey enough to hijack an eBay account, I'm thinking he's also good enough to manipulate the PP system too.

I'm not too hopeful for anymore than $175, but I should know by Sept 24th.

INTERESTING I HAVE NOTICED QUITE A BIT OF THAT ON EBAY LATELY. IN FACT I JUST SOLD A PING G5 DRIVER BUT NOTICED THAT A DRIVER LIKE MINE WAS LISTED FOR BUY IT NOW 128.00. WHEN I CHECKED THE LISTING I FOUND THAT HE HAD USED MY LISTING PICTURES AND DESCRIPTION WITH HIS OWN EBAY NAME. I CHECK TWICE THAT DAY AND IT HAD CHANGED EBAY NAMES TWICE WITH THE SAME PICTURES OF MY DRIVER IN MY YARD AND AGAIN MY DESCRIPTION THAT WAS WRITTEN IN GREEN. I DO NOT KNOW HOW THEY ARE DOING THIS BUT EBAY NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING QUICK OR WE WILL BE AFRAID TO BUY ANYTHING. MY ONLY SUGGESTION IS IF THE DEAL LOOKS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT PROBPROBABLY IS.

INTERESTING I HAVE NOTICED QUITE A BIT OF THAT ON EBAY LATELY. IN FACT I JUST SOLD A PING G5 DRIVER BUT NOTICED THAT A DRIVER LIKE MINE WAS LISTED FOR BUY IT NOW 128.00. WHEN I CHECKED THE LISTING I FOUND THAT HE HAD USED MY LISTING PICTURES AND DESCRIPTION WITH HIS OWN EBAY NAME. I CHECK TWICE THAT DAY AND IT HAD CHANGED EBAY NAMES TWICE WITH THE SAME PICTURES OF MY DRIVER IN MY YARD AND AGAIN MY DESCRIPTION THAT WAS WRITTEN IN GREEN. I DO NOT KNOW HOW THEY ARE DOING THIS BUT EBAY NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING QUICK OR WE WILL BE AFRAID TO BUY ANYTHING. MY ONLY SUGGESTION IS IF THE DEAL LOOKS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT PROBPROBABLY IS.

Always the best advice, if it looks to good...

A friendly reminder that typing in ALL CAPS on an internet forum makes people think you are YELLING at them. :D

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

Sorry to hear about your experience. I have been club ho'n hard over the last month. As such, many of my purchases have been on Ebay. If you happened to pay via a credit card, you may be protected by the credit card company. Most credit card companies cover consumers for internet fraud, including unauthorized use of a card or undelivered merchandise. If you don't get any satisfaction from Ebay/PayPal go to the credit company.

In general, I have had the most problems (e.g., unreturned e-mails, delayed shipping, no tracking nos.) with the larger sellers on Ebay. One thing I always look at is a buyers/sellers reply to negative feedback. If I see any insults in the reply, I pass on the item. How a person repsonds to negative feedback is very telling of their personality and how they will react if you have an issue with them.

In any case, I hope you are made whole. I am wondering if Golfwrx could add a wall of shame forum or searchable database of deadbeat golf equipment sellers on Ebay. I would love to see a list of Ebay retailers to avoid.

Good Luck,

Steve

In any case, I hope you are made whole. I am wondering if Golfwrx could add a wall of shame forum or searchable database of deadbeat golf equipment sellers on Ebay. I would love to see a list of Ebay retailers to avoid.

Good Luck,

Steve

Although I would agree your suggestion, this method probably won't work. Those people just hijacked other accounts to get money, once getting it, hijacking another one and doing the same thing.