Need advice on an ebay transaction please

Placebo

Item not as described
My first Scotty purchase of course turns out to be my first not-so-good ebay experience. I bid and won a Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 1 putter that was advertised as, "Brand New" on the listing. It did not include the headcover or the tool and I won the bid for $178.01 + $14.95 shipping. The seller has 91 transactions with 100% positive feedback. I was pleased at this point with this transaction and couldn't wait to get my Brand New Circa 1. Last night when I got home it was waiting for me and I opened it immediatly. It took me all of 30 seconds to notice a very visible ding on the top line near the hosel as well as 2 fine scratches on top and several stroke scratches on the bottom of the putter. I'm sure all you ebay vets out there already know the deal here. It appears this putter was in a retail store and used on the fake putting green. So apparantly our defintions of, "Brand New" differ. Now I will be the first to admit I should have asked him prior to purchasing if the putter was used on any fake greens, (no headcover should have been my first clue) but I let the 100% positive feedback on 91 transactions lure me into a false sense of security I think. So I email the seller and explain to him that I don't want to tarnish his good feedback but I do feel a bit misled by the, "Brand New" statement in the listing. I still have not left him feedback at this point. So he emails me back and says, well I'll just quote him:

"Send it back and I'll refund your money no questions ask including your cost to ship it back to me UPS Ground.
I purchased the putter NEW for $220. I got this discounted price becaues they did not have the HC for it, and as a member of the mens golf club there I get a 10% Discount.I purchased it at the Golf Merchandise shop at Riverbend Golf complex in Kent, Wa. with gift certificates I won in tournaments there,and still have the receipt. If there are any signs of use it would be from golfers walking up as we all do in a retail shop with a practice putting green of fake turf and putting a few balls with it. No intention on my part to sell something new that was not new.I did not notice the wear you mention, but thats not the issue, really. You are not pleased, so just send it back for a full refund."

Now I would say that is more than fair of him to offer that. I just have never sent anything back and I'm not sure what to expect or how to proceed. I was planning on starting a collection with this putter and never use it but that was based on it really being brand new. I don't want to start a collection with a putter that has a ding and scratches on it. So I'm a little torn here and looking for advice in any direction. Was the deal still a good enough deal that I should just keep the putter and use it as a gamer? I do like the looks of the Circa's that have the PP finish from the custom shop and that could be an option. In spite of the positive feedback I am a bit concerned about sending the putter back and possibly never getting the refund he mentioned.

So please any of you that have been through anything like this give me your thoughts and opinions. Here is the link to the transaction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...N%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks,

Jeff~

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you send it back via UPS insured. Its trackable and guarded against loss. You should have no issues. That price is probably pretty close to DiscountDansGolf price. You should give them a call and see what they could do...

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

Just for the record, UPS insurance claims for damage is virtually worthless. Their standard response is to say the item was improperly packed, no matter how much they managed to destroy the carton. You can appeal that response and keep trying but even then it can take 6 months to get anything out of them. I have stopped using UPS altogether because they frequently damage merchandize and don't honor their own insurance...What can Brown do TO you?

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

Just for the record, UPS insurance claims for damage is virtually worthless. Their standard response is to say the item was improperly packed, no matter how much they managed to destroy the carton. You can appeal that response and keep trying but even then it can take 6 months to get anything out of them. I have stopped using UPS altogether because they frequently damage merchandize and don't honor their own insurance...What can Brown do TO you?

My experience has been to the contrary . . . both times that I've had to file a damage claim with them, they've been very helpful and processed/paid the claims quickly. I also had a case where a package was stolen from my doorstep and I can't remember off the top of my head how that went but I think it was favorable as well.

Anyhow, back on topic - just send the package back via a method that is trackable to show proof of delivery. If your refund never comes, you can file a paypal claim and show that you sent the item back. Also keep your email trail between you and the seller, it'll make great evidence as needed. This guy sounds legit though.

Good luck.

File a dispute with Ebay, then ship it back with tracking info. It's pretty fair of him to pay your return costs. Drop the dispute when you are refunded. Buy a new one discounted to keep or get a better deal on an un-dinged one to refinish.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

Or . . . just ask the seller for a small partial refund to make up for the condition and/or to get the putter refinished. Many times sellers will give you a little refund (which is easily processed through paypal) and it ends up being much less hassle for both parties involved.

If you are starting a collection, figure out what it is worth to you, then ask for the difference from the seller.

Best of Luck

First of all thanks a ton for all the advice. The last three posts pretty much nailed what I will do hehe. I gave in to temptation last night and hit some balls on the carpet. What a revelation! I have three balls in the house that I use for practice putting. I grabbed two, one was a titleist hvc soft feel and the other was a callaway warbird. I hit the warbird first and it felt like I hit a rock and sounded like it too. I hit the hvc next and OH MY GOD! absolute butter! So I figure I must of just hit the warbird wrong and hit it again, same thing a rock! Hvc again and butter again. I just couldn't believe how much feel that club has, absolutely amazing! I have never been able to feel a difference between balls like that with any other putter. I feel.... enlightened!

Now that I've used it I can't send it back. So now my dilema lies in the type of feedback I should leave him. I'm thinking of asking him if he would be willing to refund what he thinks would be fair, and then leaving my feedback based on his response.

What does, "Brand New" mean to all of you? Would you consider a retail demo that has only been used on a fake green in the store brand new?

Thanks again,

Jeff~

positive. his offer was above and beyond. put yourself in his shoes. he sells a product that he feels is new. the buyer says its not and wants a refund. he offers all the money back PLUS shipping and the buyer turns around and says he is going to keep it, has putted around the house with it, AND wants a partial refund. if you wanted money back, you should have sent the putter back. Now YOU are the one who is on the verge of getting the negative feedback. now that you have used it, how does he know you didn't put the mark on it? let it go. he made the correct offer and you didn't take it.

positive. his offer was above and beyond. put yourself in his shoes. he sells a product that he feels is new. the buyer says its not and wants a refund. he offers all the money back PLUS shipping and the buyer turns around and says he is going to keep it, has putted around the house with it, AND wants a partial refund. if you wanted money back, you should have sent the putter back. Now YOU are the one who is on the verge of getting the negative feedback. now that you have used it, how does he know you didn't put the mark on it? let it go. he made the correct offer and you didn't take it.

I agree and have already decided I will leave him positive feedback. I'd still like to hear what everyone's defintion of, "Brand New" is though.

And I have to ask, by definition how does my putting around the house with it make it any less new than putting on fake greens with it?

"Brand New" to me means brand new. No hitting at all. No dings, no scratches. Not been used.

If it was slightly used, it should have been "Like New".

If it was me I'd ask for a slight refund based on the As New condition - $20 or something like that.

Glad you like the Circa 62, welcome to the Scotty Appreciation Society :idhitit:

I agree, New should be NEW, like still in wrapper new. If you state that it's new then state any obvious signs of stratches or nicks (which IMO, is/would be very obvious).

I would state appreciation for the honest reply and the good nature to FIX the problem. Then go and state that you would like avoid all the hassles for ~$20 less or maybe even the shipping cost.

Ken

Update. Well I basically left it up to him whether he wanted to step up and refund some money or not and assured him whatever he decided I would not leave him negative feedback. He credited my account $15.00 and still offered a full refund if that wasn't enough. Can't ask for anything better than that. Which makes me a happy camper!

So if there is a lesson to be learned here I would say that if a putter is listed as, "Brand New" it is wise to ask the seller if it has been used on a fake putting green or carpet prior to bidding on it.

Thanks again everyone.

Jeff~

Jeff,

I hope I never have to sell you anything on ebay. Sounds like to me the seller was a very honest ebayer and i'm sure you worried the crap out of him trying to drive the price down after using the putter and deciding to keep it. I have met alot of people like you on ebay, bid and win, pay and complain until you get a refund.

Cobra LTD X LS 9.0 Fuji Atmos Black 6S

Cobra King LTD 14.5 Rogue Black 70S

Callaway Big Bertha II 5 wood RCH Firm

Taylormade 3 iron UDI Kuro Kage Black

Mizuno 921HM 5-GW 950GH Neo

Mizuno 923HM SW 

Mizuno 900HM Lw KBS C Taper Lite S

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Two

Jeff,

I hope I never have to sell you anything on ebay. Sounds like to me the seller was a very honest ebayer and i'm sure you worried the crap out of him trying to drive the price down after using the putter and deciding to keep it. I have met alot of people like you on ebay, bid and win, pay and complain until you get a refund.

Wow - how unfair is that post.

If you read his whole post, this was his first e-bay experience. And as everyone has stated, if the seller lists something as New, then that's what it should be, and not show signs of use. And nowehre did he say he was trying to drive the price down, he actually left it up to the seller. Sounds to me as though he was being fair all along not trying to get a better deal than he had agreed to by bidding a certain amount.

As someone else pointed out, almost all e-bayers are honest people and will bend over backwards to make sure things are correct.

It's just a shame more of them don't ship to New Zealand.

Thank you Xt1nct. To be clear on one point, this was not my first ebay transaction, but it was my first Scotty Cameron putter purchase. Everything else you stated was spot on, again thank you very much for your accurate observation/interpretation of this thread.

@nmarler: I question your ability to comprehend the written word. Your interpretation of this thread is highly inaccurate.

To re-cap. I decided to keep the putter prior to me using it on my carpet and nowhere in my post's does it say any different. I left the seller positive feedback before he sent me a refund and I left the option of any refund at all and how much entirely up to him with the assurance I would NOT leave him negative feedback no matter what his decision was.

Ya what a complaining bastxxx I am.... :cheesy:

Jeff~