• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1323838998' post='3936787']
[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1323703384' post='3927725']
[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1323651441' post='3925565']
how get low ball flight by angle hinge?
[/quote]

I have no idea. I don't even know how to get to angle hinge yet.
[/quote]

you will not. :)
[/quote]

I do agree with you. I am not sure if I wil know [i]how[/i] to get to angle hinge, meaning that I may not be able to explain it to anyone, or put an exact formula on paper, because the position may be a product of another formula.

Maybe something like: the grip + the left wrist cupping + the left wrist unhinge, divided by the reciprocal of the path of the right elbow = angle hinging.

I can't point direct to the "angle hinge," but I can point to the grip/wrist/elbow equation. Let's say just for fun that this is the exact formula for producing a perfect angle hinge.....if I change the grip 180 degrees stronger, the angle hinge will go away. So it may just be a by-product of other things.

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1323873617' post='3937817']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I do agree with you. I am not sure if I wil know [i]how[/i] to get to angle hinge, meaning that I may not be able to explain it to anyone, or put an exact formula on paper, because the position may be a product of another formula.

Maybe something like: the grip + the left wrist cupping + the left wrist unhinge, divided by the reciprocal of the path of the right elbow = angle hinging.

I can't point direct to the "angle hinge," but I can point to the grip/wrist/elbow equation. Let's say just for fun that this is the exact formula for producing a perfect angle hinge.....if I change the grip 180 degrees stronger, the angle hinge will go away. So it may just be a by-product of other things.
[/quote]

i mean not low shot by angle hinge

[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1323880392' post='3938371']
[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1323873617' post='3937817']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

i mean not low shot by angle hinge
[/quote]

I would use the following steps to answer that question:

1. Name a few angle hinge style golfers. The ones that come to mind for me are Hogan, Trevino, Gary Player, and many more of the 60's and 70's guys.
2. List their most common ball flight/trajectory.
3. Did they ever hit a ball low?

I couldn't answer #2 or #3 because I have never seen them play. Maybe someone here has??

I would have to guess that they didn't always hit the ball perfectly in the fairway, and that they may have been in the woods, or behind a tree branch at some point, and had to hit one low. But, I really have no idea.

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1323895231' post='3939653']<br />Is this really Hogan swinging here??<br /><br />[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOSfSY07qRo&amp;list=PL92C891FF5EFC8911&amp;index=7&amp;feature=plpp_video[/media]<br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />

bad swing. really will hook some times. hand more far from stomach, hand higher. so path in to out, club close early.

angle hinge higher ball, horizontal hinge lower ball, vertical hinge very higher ball. hogan normal lower ball.

Per definition, a horizontal hinge means closing without layback. That means that the dynamic loft stays the same through the impact zone, and it stays the same for different golfers with the same club in their hands. Horizontal hinge = normal height on all shots.

Angled hinge is closing and layback at the same time. Layback means delofted early and added loft late in the stroke. You need a bit of angled hinge to manipulate how high you hit it.

Horizontal hinge will have a full roll feel. Face is pointing straight up and out of the plane at hip height, and straight down and out of the plane at the next hip height. With angled hinge, the face partly pointing out of the plane, partly down the swing path. And so forth.

In TGM, dual horizontal hinge is typically associated with dragging and a pure swinging pattern, where the right hand is only providing structural support (extensior action). And angled hinging is associated with hitting and driving, which is an active thrust with the right hand. It is said that Homer Kelley enjoyed hitting with the drive loading more. Amongst other things because it was more engaging. A pure swing is a highly automated procedure, the release is very much centered around manipulating centrifugal force. Homer thought it could be done while sleeping. Drive loading works on both ends of the club. You have pp#1, which basically drives the hands forward and pp#3, that in combination with a left arm dragging, will torque the shaft and add some throw out action to whatever you're getting from centrifugal force. So you can use drive loading to manipulate the hand path and to time the release.

Dual horizontal hinging and vertical hinging are extreme opposites on a continuous spectrum. You can use drive loading to bring the shape of the swing closer to or further away from a dual horizontal hinge action, with hands more or less forward of the ball at impact. And that is essential when aiming for some shot making.

You can turn the ball both ways with either dual horizontal hinge or angled hinge, but the way you do it is different. Due to the rapid closing club face in a horizontal hinge, it favors a low fade but not a high fade. You can produce a low fade with ball back in stance, aim left and so forth, but you still may need some drive loading to keep the hands ahead of the ball at impact, and to prevent them from stalling. Dual horizontal also favors a high draw with ball more forward and so forth. If you want to hit a high draw, be sure to get the shaft lined up with the left arm before impact. That is best done by switching to 100% dragging mode through the ball.

When you move away from the horizontal hinge, you can hit a low draw with ball back in stance, a strong grip, and where you cover the ball towards impact and drive it down and out with your right hand. And you can hit a high fade with ball forward in stance, a not so strong grip, and the sustained drive loading will add dynamic loft gradually and delay the closing of the club face.

Of course there will always be dragging present regardless how how much you drive.

[quote name='Lefthook' timestamp='1323958244' post='3942797']
Per definition, a horizontal hinge means closing without layback. That means that the dynamic loft stays the same through the impact zone, and it stays the same for different golfers with the same club in their hands. Horizontal hinge = normal height on all shots.

Angled hinge is closing and layback at the same time. Layback means delofted early and added loft late in the stroke. You need a bit of angled hinge to manipulate how high you hit it.

Horizontal hinge will have a full roll feel. Face is pointing straight up and out of the plane at hip height, and straight down and out of the plane at the next hip height. With angled hinge, the face partly pointing out of the plane, partly down the swing path. And so forth.

In TGM, dual horizontal hinge is typically associated with dragging and a pure swinging pattern, where the right hand is only providing structural support (extensior action). And angled hinging is associated with hitting and driving, which is an active thrust with the right hand. It is said that Homer Kelley enjoyed hitting with the drive loading more. Amongst other things because it was more engaging. A pure swing is a highly automated procedure, the release is very much centered around manipulating centrifugal force. Homer thought it could be done while sleeping. Drive loading works on both ends of the club. You have pp#1, which basically drives the hands forward and pp#3, that in combination with a left arm dragging, will torque the shaft and add some throw out action to whatever you're getting from centrifugal force. So you can use drive loading to manipulate the hand path and to time the release.

Dual horizontal hinging and vertical hinging are extreme opposites on a continuous spectrum. You can use drive loading to bring the shape of the swing closer to or further away from a dual horizontal hinge action, with hands more or less forward of the ball at impact. And that is essential when aiming for some shot making.

You can turn the ball both ways with either dual horizontal hinge or angled hinge, but the way you do it is different. Due to the rapid closing club face in a horizontal hinge, it favors a low fade but not a high fade. You can produce a low fade with ball back in stance, aim left and so forth, but you still may need some drive loading to keep the hands ahead of the ball at impact, and to prevent them from stalling. Dual horizontal also favors a high draw with ball more forward and so forth. If you want to hit a high draw, be sure to get the shaft lined up with the left arm before impact. That is best done by switching to 100% dragging mode through the ball.

When you move away from the horizontal hinge, you can hit a low draw with ball back in stance, a strong grip, and where you cover the ball towards impact and drive it down and out with your right hand. And you can hit a high fade with ball forward in stance, a not so strong grip, and the sustained drive loading will add dynamic loft gradually and delay the closing of the club face.

Of course there will always be dragging present regardless how how much you drive.
[/quote]

Wow! Thanks for the definitions. And thanks for getting me more confused (just kidding lol!)

Would be cool to see the best example of each swing method.

DOCF
S&T
MORAD
TGM
and any others too

And when I say "best," I mean based on the definition. I would logically think that the best version would be from its inventor.

So, now, who invented each of these methods? And, what is Hogan's method called??

If you were walking down a crowded driving range, and you stopped and watched each guy swing a few times, you could say, "oh yea, he is a S&T'er" or "yep, he is a DOCF'er." What if you saw a guy doing Hogan......what would you call it?

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1323967694' post='3943431']

[/quote]

Wow! Thanks for the definitions. And thanks for getting me more confused (just kidding lol!)

DOCF
S&T
MORAD
TGM
and any others too

And when I say "best," I mean based on the definition. I would logically think that the best version would be from its inventor.

So, now, who invented each of these methods? And, what is Hogan's method called??

If you were walking down a crowded driving range, and you stopped and watched each guy swing a few times, you could say, "oh yea, he is a S&T'er" or "yep, he is a DOCF'er." What if you saw a guy doing Hogan......what would you call it?
[/quote]

DOCF - Martin Ayers!
S&T - Charlie Wi
MORAD - Mac O'Grady! Robert Rock's swing looks close too.
TGM - Everyone uses different combos of TGM! (according to them)

[quote name='markponi' timestamp='1323990746' post='3945215']
[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1323967694' post='3943431']

[/quote]

DOCF
S&T
MORAD
TGM
and any others too

[/quote]

DOCF - Martin Ayers!
S&T - Charlie Wi
MORAD - Mac O'Grady! Robert Rock's swing looks close too.
TGM - Everyone uses different combos of TGM! (according to them)
[/quote]

Thanks Markponi! But you left out the one I was really looking for. Here's everybody's homework for tonite:

Regarding Ben Hogan's golf swing; he swings with the ______________ method.

Cant really answer the question. And who cares about a method. You cant generalize in golf. it really is that complicated and should be viewed that way. His swing has been defined by TGM components before in a few threads but that wont help you. It was more a description of [i]what[/i] is happening. Not a lot was said about how to do it...

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1323999009' post='3945895']
Cant really answer the question. And who cares about a method. You cant generalize in golf. it really is that complicated and should be viewed that way. His swing has been defined by TGM components before in a few threads but that wont help you. It was more a description of [i]what[/i] is happening. Not a lot was said about how to do it...
[/quote]

Yahh, I know what you mean, but I've never heard of a "Hogan" method. Just wondering which category it leans closest to.

The reason why Ben Hogan's swing is the most studied and the most emulated is that it is unique.

It's a hybrid and it has some very interesting characteristics that aren't really taught in any "model." I think he throws the club from the top like Martin Ayers but if you ask 100 people you'll probably get 94 different answers as to which model he fits best.

I think if you could take a hybrid of Slicefixer and Ayers you would get pretty close. I think Hogan's arm motion had the freedom of Martin, but the symetry of Slicefixer. In other words, I think Ayers model gets the Hogan dynamics while Slicefixer gets the Hogan geometry.

It's important to note that niether of them has their goal to get to Hogan but they both study them...obviously.

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1323967775' post='3943441']
Some TGM stuff.

angle hinge definition at about 1:08

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka8uHmYkWig&feature=player_embedded[/media]
[/quote]
I have never understood how these demonstrations relate to a human player hinge actions.

A club connected to a door hinge is representative of a human hand,wrist,elbow and shoulder joint hinging in multi directions???

[quote name='markponi' timestamp='1324002705' post='3946231']
The reason why Ben Hogan's swing is the most studied and the most emulated is that it is unique.

It's a hybrid and it has some very interesting characteristics that aren't really taught in any "model." I think he throws the club from the top like Martin Ayers but if you ask 100 people you'll probably get 94 different answers as to which model he fits best.

I think if you could take a hybrid of Slicefixer and Ayers you would get pretty close. I think Hogan's arm motion had the freedom of Martin, but the symetry of Slicefixer. In other words, I think Ayers model gets the Hogan dynamics while Slicefixer gets the Hogan geometry.

It's important to note that niether of them has their goal to get to Hogan but they both study them...obviously.
[/quote]

I could have sworn that I saw on Martin's youtube page most of his videos titled "Ben Hogan Swing Take 12" and "Ben Hogan Swing Take 15" and so on. Oh yeah, and there's also one titled "Various swings in my search of Ben Hogans swing."

Still experimenting with lots of things. Haven't put together a solid training plan yet. Won't do that till I can get a basic understanding of a few more things. Only felt like doing some 3/4 swings today. My lower back has been giving me a tough time for the past few days; probably from me doing sort of a backwards lean as I swing through. Kim says I should give it up cause I'm tearing my body down. I say "no way....I'm in too deep and have learned too much." If it gets torn down to the point of needing a back transplant, I'll just work towards the Hogan in the Mr. Rogers yellow sweater. Until then........ONWARD MEN....ummmmm and women........C H A R G E !!!!

I am getting soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo stinkin tired of this basement. My daughter, the family artist, offered to paint a golf course mural on the white sheet I'm hitting into. :)

If the weather is good this weekend, I'm gonna get out in the front yard yard and hit some of those birdieballs onto the neighbors roof. Just hope I don't get that urge to tee up a ProV1 to see if I can fade it around the two houses at the cul de sac.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL2nKT380ww#"][color="#1c62b9"]0:48[/color][/url] 5-metal
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL2nKT380ww#"][color="#1c62b9"]2:57[/color][/url] Sam Snead 1-wood
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL2nKT380ww#"][color="#1c62b9"]3:46[/color][/url] Taylormade Driver 450cc (ball on mat no tee)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL2nKT380ww#"][color="#1c62b9"]4:21[/color][/url] McGregor 5-wood (grip is hard as a rock and feels like plastic. Ball ricocheted up into the girders. Probably hit top of club cause it rotates in my palm from lack of tacky grip.)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL2nKT380ww#"][color="#1c62b9"]5:01[/color][/url] 3-metal
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL2nKT380ww#"][color="#1c62b9"]5:33[/color][/url] 5-metal
6:65 Sam Snead 1-wood slo mo

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL2nKT380ww[/media]

BHSP,in my opinion Hogan's transition will be the toughest area for you to master.You are now laid off quite severely at the top of your backswing.Hogan was not laid off on his full swings,only on 3/4 iron swings.He laid it off coming down and that's a huge difference.

Most people who try to copy Hogan make the same mistake.In trying to incorporate his lay off move,they end up laid off at the top which is the wrong sequence.

[quote name='dap' timestamp='1324010085' post='3946767']
BHSP,in my opinion Hogan's transition will be the toughest area for you to master.You are now laid off quite severely at the top of your backswing.Hogan was not laid off on his full swings,only on 3/4 iron swings.He laid it off coming down and that's a huge difference.

Most people who try to copy Hogan make the same mistake.In trying to incorporate his lay off move,they end up laid off at the top which is the wrong sequence.
[/quote]

Yep, I know what you mean. I think all of it is tough to master. I still have no idea what I am doing.

Now I gotta research the meaning of "laid off."

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1324010767' post='3946825']
[quote name='dap' timestamp='1324010085' post='3946767']

[/quote]

Yep, I know what you mean. I think all of it is tough to master. I still have no idea what I am doing.

Now I gotta research the meaning of "laid off."
[/quote]

Hey.....I just read your post again. I [b]am[/b] doing 3/4 swings in Take 14. I could have done some full ones, but I just didn't feel it tonite. Lower back is aching.

[quote name='dap' timestamp='1324011514' post='3946883']
BHSP,laid off is just flat and to lay off means to flatten.To flatten the shaft you pronate your left forearm.Hogan did this on the transition,not during the latter stages of his backswing.This method can work also but it's not Hogan.

Look up Brady Riggs "quarter turn" move.It is something similar.
[/quote]

I'll look into it...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qiHkZmgX04[/media]

BHSP,yes I did see that you wrote they were 3/4 swings on your video but a lot of those swings looked quite full in my opinion with the club at parallel.

But you are doing a great job,better than I think you could actually do.Keep it up but keep in mind that a golf swing you experiment with could change drastically under competitve pressure.

[quote name='dap' timestamp='1324013532' post='3946999']
BHSP,yes I did see that you wrote they were 3/4 swings on your video but a lot of those swings looked quite full in my opinion with the club at parallel.

But you are doing a great job,better than I think you could actually do.Keep it up but keep in mind that a golf swing you experiment with could change drastically under competitve pressure.
[/quote]

Thanks dap.

For me, mentaly, they are definitely 3/4 swings. But when I look at the video, most of them look full. Maybe it is one of those "what you feel is not real" things.

I did see one that looks to be a full swing though.

The competitive pressure is understood, but in my case, competitive pressure "means me against me." Even when I'm by myself out there, I'm stll worried about the ball. That's the main reason I am avoiding the course and the range right now. Whenever I'm out there, as much as I try to avoid caring about the ball, I always end up forgetting about the swing altogether, and put every ounce of attention into how the ball flies, and how long it stays in the air, and if it faded enough yards, and if it bounced one or two times after it hit, and did it roll for 35yds after it hit, and why didn't it roll 36yds, and so on.

[quote name='Pinsplitter59' timestamp='1324036096' post='3947393']
man i feel for you.
that basement is just the pits.
go for the murals, sample attached.
[attachment=951567:bhsproject_idea2l.jpg]
[/quote]

THANKS PINSPLITTER!!!!!!!!

Too cool! This is now my laptop wallpaper. Can't wait to show Kim. But I really can't wait to see what kind of pleasant comment she will have about the girl in the bikili lololol! When I showed it to my 4th grade daughter this morning, she said "wow, they made the basement like a beach...............ummmmm....why is that girl right there? She doesn't even have golf clothes on."

And my 8th grade daughter said "weird."

LOL!

P.S. You sure that club angle is right? That looks like Tiger's in his teenage years...pointing to the right of the target. I thought I was laid off or pointing down the target line at the top??

[quote name='Pinsplitter59' timestamp='1324036096' post='3947393']
man i feel for you.
that basement is just the pits.
go for the murals, sample attached.
[attachment=951567:bhsproject_idea2l.jpg]
[/quote]

Kim said "ummph, ummph, ummph........he has too much time on his hands too. His wife and I should start a help group for yall."

its not your club position sorry, frame was too dark to see it.
thats the beach i am heading to for 6 weeks from tomorrow in Thailand,
i might look for Sergio's club.
also not married == have time for golf and computer, thats the secret.
i know i am obsessed in a kind of unhealthy way,
but, sorry to say this,
YOU are quite MAD!

(love ya baby).

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1324001214' post='3946103']
[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1323999009' post='3945895']
[/quote]

Yahh, I know what you mean, but I've never heard of a "Hogan" method. Just wondering which category it leans closest to.
[/quote]

since you put it that way I will add that O'grady supposedly based some of MORAD on Hogan. Im no DAROM guru but there's some info out there. Basically your looking at info that came after/was-based-on Hogan. He changed the way people look at the golfswing