2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Beginning my try at duplicating Hogan's Swing

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the heck???? Then what did he hit?

And when I say he hit a cut-fade, I'm referring to cutting as in how his club appears to cut under the ball and shaft goes left immediately after impact. And the fade part is flight of the ball, starts slight left, and moves slight right.

[quote name='Staffer' timestamp='1322861537' post='3882111']
Its an in-to-out action. Its not a cut.

The flight is straight, but the ball falls right on landing.

=)
[/quote]

drifts/falls right. Sexier to call it a drifter compared to a faller though!

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1322861683' post='3882129']
[quote name='Staffer' timestamp='1322861537' post='3882111']
Its an in-to-out action. Its not a cut.

The flight is straight, but the ball falls right on landing.

=)
[/quote]

drifts/falls right. Sexier to call it a drifter compared to a faller though!
[/quote]

Sure =). Thats alright.

[quote name='Staffer' timestamp='1322849191' post='3881271']
[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1322841818' post='3880727']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1322839458' post='3880515']
*gasp*...after all our talks...you don't have a particular ball flight in mind then?
[/quote]

If I had to put ball flight on my Christmas list, it would be the Hogan cut-fade. I've never seen his complete ball flight, so I can only go by what I hear people say they witnessed.

But, after all this project stuff, if I end up with a cut-straight, or a cut-draw, or cut-whatever, or no-cut.............................I'm good.

Looking back at my golf career, I have always been able to hit a cut-fade with the shiiity swing I was born with. I started with a major slice, and played around with my face angle at address and ball position until I got rid of the slice and got the fade.
[/quote]

Hogan didnt cut the ball.

=)
[/quote]

I think I need a class on ball flight and their name/descriptions, cause now I have no idea what to call them.

What is this ball flight called?
Is the ball flight name based on the spin? or the club path? or the club path and spin? or trajectory? or what???

What is this ball flight called in the golfing world?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LsvwnGVblc[/media]

you can either hit the ball online, left of aimline (pull), or right of aimline (push)...from there it can not curve and go straight, turn right (fade), or turn left (draw).

So you can hit an online straight shot, an online fade, or online draw.

You can hit an straight push, a push fade, or push draw.

And finally you can hit a straight pull, a pull fade, or a push draw.

A Hook just means a BIG turn to the left, and a slice means a BIG turn to the right.

9 flights total. You need to always specificy where the ball starts and then how it curves in the air.

What exactly a BIG turn is varies from player to player. A big fade/slice for me is anything more than 10 yards...where a pga tour pro might be more than a couple yards. Etc etc you get it.

I've always heard and from what I see Hogan hit an online to tiny push fade...with the fade being very tiny....a yard or two at best.
There's also footage of him hitting online draws though. Pretty stuff.

So....work on that ball flight sir!

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1323115576' post='3895507']
you can either hit the ball online, left of aimline (pull), or right of aimline (push)...from there it can not curve and go straight, turn right (fade), or turn left (draw).
A Hook just means a BIG turn to the left, and a slice means a BIG turn to the right.
9 flights total. You need to always specificy where the ball starts and then how it curves in the air.

What exactly a BIG turn is varies from player to player. A big fade/slice for me is anything more than 10 yards...where a pga tour pro might be more than a couple yards. Etc etc you get it.

I've always heard and from what I see Hogan hit an online to tiny push fade...with the fade being very tiny....a yard or two at best.

[/quote]

OK! So all the above is understood, but what is the "cut" part of it? My thinking is that it is like a ping pong or tennis shot (I am an avid player of both) where the swinging device is "cut" under the ball giving underspin.

This vid looks like a cutting action.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LsvwnGVblc&feature=player_embedded[/media]

Tembolo, something you said today that made a lot of sense. TrackMaster!!!
In order to see my progress, or backward-gress, I should have been visiting some type of professional analysis facility to see what my numbers look like. PGA store or Golfsmith analysis, etc.

I'm gonna look into this........then you can stop asking about my ball flight lol.

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1322800332' post='3879163']
It would be so helpful if I could just type exactly what I am doing, but I have no idea right now.
[/quote]

It's called external rotation of the right arm. Teeace spilled the beens the other day and got me to a huge aha moment. Its a move I need in my swing otherwise I get steep. Its tricky though. Even though the body is unwinding to the ball...the right arm is turning the other way until the elbow is in position. Heres my try at it...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnSHk3LtJbM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnSHk3LtJbM[/url]

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1323131439' post='3896817']
It would be so helpful if I could just type exactly what I am doing, but I have no idea right now.
[/quote]

It's called external rotation of the right arm. Teeace spilled the beens the other day and got me to a huge aha moment. Its a move I need in my swing otherwise I get steep. Its tricky though. Even though the body is unwinding to the ball...the right arm is turning the other way until the elbow is in position. Heres my try at it...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnSHk3LtJbM"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wnSHk3LtJbM[/url]
[/quote]

Looks good PingG10!

Hmmmmmmmm. external rotation. Sounds complicated. Right now, I'm just calling it "bringing my left hand around my right shoulder."

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1323133373' post='3897013']
[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1323131439' post='3896817']
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnSHk3LtJbM"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wnSHk3LtJbM[/url]
[/quote]

Looks good PingG10!

Hmmmmmmmm. external rotation. Sounds complicated. Right now, I'm just calling it "bringing my left hand around my right shoulder."
[/quote]

Do this during transition...

[attachment=939179:shoulder.jpg]

Yes, the external rotation stuff does make a lot of sense, but ever since I was experimenting with something I saw in a couple of Hogan's videos, my sucky swing now has a different feel. This is what it feels like now (from the 1:12 thru 1:18 mark). Like the ball is being lifted from the ground or something. Then the club wants to shoot out of my hands and through my floor boards. I have to purposefully stop it. MY NEXT HOUSE WILL HAVE HIGH ENOUGH CEILINGS TO DO A COMPLETE SWING!!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvDoVZ0PosY&feature=player_embedded[/media]

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1323128678' post='3896607']

[/quote]

OK! So all the above is understood, but what is the "cut" part of it? My thinking is that it is like a ping pong or tennis shot (I am an avid player of both) where the swinging device is "cut" under the ball giving underspin.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LsvwnGVblc&feature=player_embedded[/media]
[/quote]

there's no cut action to it....another name for fade is a cut. When someone hits a fade (online, pull, push) they can also say they cut it. You hit a baby push cut.....just another term for fade.

you don't need to worry about slicing/cutting under the ball....you hit the ball with a slight descending blow and the loft of the club and angle of attack gets the ball up in the air with backspin.

Now go work on that online/slight push cut sir!

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1323180855' post='3899001']

[/quote]

[/quote]

there's no cut action to it....another name for fade is a cut. When someone hits a fade (online, pull, push) they can also say they cut it. You hit a baby push cut.....just another term for fade.

you don't need to worry about slicing/cutting under the ball....you hit the ball with a slight descending blow and the loft of the club and angle of attack gets the ball up in the air with backspin.

[/quote]

Yahhh, I know there is no need to slice/cut under the ball. I was just describing what Hogan's club appeared to be doing.

Lol.......ok, so if "[i]another name for fade is cut[/i]," then a cut-fade is a fade-fade. And if a "[i]baby push cut is just another term for fade,"[/i] then in March, I'll be trying to hit a.......

Fade-Fade-Fade

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1323182532' post='3899099']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1323180855' post='3899001']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yahhh, I know there is no need to slice/cut under the ball. I was just describing what Hogan's club appeared to be doing.

Lol.......ok, so if "[i]another name for fade is cut[/i]," then a cut-fade is a fade-fade. And if a "[i]baby push cut is just another term for fade,"[/i] then in March, I'll be trying to hit a.......

Fade-Fade-Fade
[/quote]

cut = fade

you never try to hit a cut-fade...that doesn't mean anything.
push cut = push fade....not sure why/how you are getting fade fade fade fade in there so many times.
baby push cut = baby push fade....I just thought you would understand that I didn't need to type baby and push again.

Someone needs to get out of the basement haha!!!!!! :partytime2:

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1323184427' post='3899231']

Fade-Fade-Fade
[/quote]

cut = fade

push cut = push fade....not sure why/how you are getting fade fade fade fade in there so many times.
baby push cut = baby push fade....I just thought you would understand that I didn't need to type baby and push again.

[/quote]

Oops, then make that a Fade-Fade. Yep, this basement is beginning to get to me. I'm getting another one of those crazy golfing urges again. I'm thinkin about moving the canvas wall to the side, opening the garage, and see if I can Fade-Fade a range ball around my neighbors house. I betcha I could do it. I need find out if he's going out of town for the holidays!

Wouldn't it be funny for you to turn on the news tomorrow and the top story is "Unruly neighbor causing a rucus in his subdivision.....some witnesses say he was actually hitting golf balls out of his garage into the neighbors living room across the street............more to come at the bottom of the hour.....now back to you Ted." LOLOL

I NEED TO SEE A BALL DISAPPEAR INTO THE HORIZON! +$*^?*&!!! :diablo:

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1323186817' post='3899413']

Fade-Fade-Fade
[/quote]

cut = fade

[/quote]

Oops, then make that a Fade-Fade. Yep, this basement is beginning to get to me. I'm getting another one of those crazy golfing urges again. I'm thinkin about moving the canvas wall to the side, opening the garage, and see if I can Fade-Fade a range ball around my neighbors house. I betcha I could do it. I need find out if he's going out of town for the holidays!

Wouldn't it be funny for you to turn on the news tomorrow and the top story is "Unruly neighbor causing a rucus in his subdivision.....some witnesses say he was actually hitting golf balls out of his garage into the neighbors living room across the street............more to come at the bottom of the hour.....now back to you Ted." LOLOL

[/quote]

haha...how do get Fade-Fade? I'd like a nice, thorough analytical proof of how you get 2 fades. DO IT!

You got an indoor or heated stall nearby? I sense cabin fever taking over you sir.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1323206936' post='3901153']

Fade-Fade-Fade
[/quote]

cut = fade

[/quote]

[/quote]

haha...how do get Fade-Fade? I'd like a nice, thorough analytical proof of how you get 2 fades. DO IT!

You got an indoor or heated stall nearby? I sense cabin fever taking over you sir.
[/quote]

No need for heated stall. Our weather here in Atlanta is not bad at all; perfect for golf, but I made a foolish family announcement last month, but hopefully it will help me. I told everyone that I was going to focus all my efforts on building a golf swing, and would not even set foot on a course or range until March 2012. And I put money on the line too. Wife and kids said it was impossible. I said "IT'S ON LIKE POPCORN!!"

Reason for avoiding the course is because it is supposed to keep me focused on the actual swing, and not what the ball is doing. One of my problems on the course is that I get overly concerned with how the ball is flying, how far it went, and where it lands. The ball flight is nothing but an indirect effect of everything I do before impact. Even in the basement, I have a hard time keeping my eyes down and watch the ball disappear, because I want to quickly look up and see where it hit on the canvas wall.

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1323217089' post='3902125']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1323206936' post='3901153']

Fade-Fade-Fade
[/quote]

cut = fade

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No need for heated stall. Our weather here in Atlanta is not bad at all; perfect for golf, but I made a foolish family announcement last month, but hopefully it will help me. I told everyone that I was going to focus all my efforts on building a golf swing, and would not even set foot on a course or range until March 2012. And I put money on the line too. Wife and kids said it was impossible. I said "IT'S ON LIKE POPCORN!!"

Reason for avoiding the course is because it is supposed to keep me focused on the actual swing, and not what the ball is doing. One of my problems on the course is that I get overly concerned with how the ball is flying, how far it went, and where it lands. The ball flight is nothing but an indirect effect of everything I do before impact. Even in the basement, I have a hard time keeping my eyes down and watch the ball disappear, because I want to quickly look up and see where it hit on the canvas wall.
[/quote]

Wow...get the moves down a bit but you gotta hit balls to check out your progress. I finally looked back and checked out all your videos. Get some of that muscle in the boobs down to your lower body. You need to get your butt into it. Turn that money maker! Stop throwing your hands at it!

You'll get it. Then when I ask you how's your ball flight you'll respond: Like Hogan's baby!

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1323703384' post='3927725']
[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1323651441' post='3925565']
how get low ball flight by angle hinge?
[/quote]

I have no idea. I don't even know how to get to angle hinge yet.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt6DUX9rXSc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt6DUX9rXSc[/url]

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1323708251' post='3928059']
[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1323703384' post='3927725']
[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1323651441' post='3925565']
how get low ball flight by angle hinge?
[/quote]

I have no idea. I don't even know how to get to angle hinge yet.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt6DUX9rXSc"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=yt6DUX9rXSc[/url]
[/quote]

HOLEY SHMOLEY PingG10!!!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt6DUX9rXSc[/media]

When I got to the 3:27ish mark of the video, my mouth dropped, and eyes bulged, and eyebrows went straight up over my head.

In one of my vids, ("Take 7 vid") I specifically remember playing around with a drill I had made up. I was just literally bullspitting around with it. I thought I was doing something unique! That nobody else had. Wow! This is so stinin cool. Lololol! I didn't make up squat. But it does feel good that I saw something in my hogan research that these guys are doing. And I have really forgotten about the drill, cause it was cool looking in the beginning, but I dismissed it cause I saw it as a waste of time. BACK TO THE DRILL BATMAN!

Hmmmmm, this just gave me confidence! Maybe I do have an idea of what I am doing lol. Now I gotta research this V.J. Trolio guy. I've already heard lots about Lynn Blake. He talk good stuff.

Can't wait to show this to my wife! I'm gonna say "look honey, the drill I thought I invented was already done by someone else. An actual PGA pro golfer. Sooooooo, seee, I'm not the only weirdo out there." The weirdo part is because while I was watching the end of a PGA tournament on Sunday evening, I stood in the living room for about an hour doing my custom drill......or make that Lynn Blakes drill!

[quote name='IH82BOGEY' timestamp='1323722048' post='3929163']
You are going to upset a lot of the Hogan boys now. Many believe that TGM is not Hogan. TGM emphasized using the hands with the pivot complying, whereas most Hogan followers believe in more pivot driven swings. Standby...
[/quote]

Oh boy :o .

Ummmmmm, well uhhhhh, PingG10Guy posted the link lol. PingG10, you better get your shield up and get ready for the rocks!

You are going to upset a lot of the Hogan boys now. Many believe that TGM is not Hogan. TGM emphasized using the hands with the pivot complying, whereas most Hogan followers believe in more pivot driven swings. Standby...
[/quote]

No problem, the TGM "hand controlled pivot" is pivot driven, but under direction/supervision from the hands. You consciously throw the pivot-driven hands to a specific aiming point. :good:

[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1323727581' post='3929619']
[/quote]

No problem, the TGM "hand controlled pivot" is pivot driven, but under direction/supervision from the hands. You consciously throw the pivot-driven hands to a specific aiming point. :good:
[/quote]

you beat me to it lol. Debates about components in a couple of threads are a decent read on TGM vs Hogan. I think a better thread would be TGM vs What-Hogan-Thought-He-Was-Doing. It might tell a better story but there is little credible evidence to make a case. Either way (for the record lol) I was not posting the video to choose a side. OP just asked a question about angled hinge so I posted what i thought to be a decent vid on the subject

I don't know much about Moe Norman, but the guy here looks close.

I can just hear a doubter saying "Moe Norman was the best ball striker EVER. Nobody can or will ever get close to swinging like him."

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8oIX8v8H8o[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUy0nwnndd0&feature=related[/media]

Why not the same for the Hogan swing?? Now where the heck is Hogan's best pupil hiding??