2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Beginning my try at duplicating Hogan's Swing

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1348798284' post='5708239']
[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1348766464' post='5705099']
If you have spiderman-like flexibility, you can get the shaft all the way to the top and maybe even a little wrapped around your neck with the left arm "virtually" straight, and lead heel NOT raised.

But if you're a standard human with a tight lower back, and tight scapula, and limited hip movement, overdeveloped chest or shoulders, tight obliques, and another list of anatomic limitations, you might need to allow that lead foot to lift and/or that left arm to bend a little to get the shaft to that point.
[/quote]

Well I guess I fit your description, but Im completely against the lead arm bending. It changes how the hands act through the ball from my experience.

I also think the shaft doesnt need to be to parallel as long as you comply with section 1 of TGM in that the club points at, or is parallel to the baseline (not target, but baseline). Trying to "get to parallel" is a flaw lots of guys have and can cause loss of desired hands position at the top (ie trying to be cupped at the top but ending up flat or bowed from overloading PA2 to force parallel)

I will mess with this lead heel lift thing though. When Im tight then I have a tendency to reverse pivot a lot.
[/quote]

I agree with not "trying" to get the shaft parallel. I just use that as a point of measure. But I do agree with allowing your upper body to turn as far as humanly possible without your left toe coming off the ground. Ballerina move!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a cool project and hope you succeed. You'll turn a lot of heads if you achieve the hogan look for sure. I think a big reason why a lot of people still appreciate Ben hogans swing is because of its esthetic quality.

I'm curious, once you get the look down are you going to concentrate then on score? Do you think if you nail down the look that as an unintended consequence it'll improve your ball striking? Will you move on to imitate other great golfers?

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1348799225' post='5708355']
[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1348798284' post='5708239']
[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1348766464' post='5705099']
If you have spiderman-like flexibility, you can get the shaft all the way to the top and maybe even a little wrapped around your neck with the left arm "virtually" straight, and lead heel NOT raised.

But if you're a standard human with a tight lower back, and tight scapula, and limited hip movement, overdeveloped chest or shoulders, tight obliques, and another list of anatomic limitations, you might need to allow that lead foot to lift and/or that left arm to bend a little to get the shaft to that point.
[/quote]

Well I guess I fit your description, but Im completely against the lead arm bending. It changes how the hands act through the ball from my experience.

I also think the shaft doesnt need to be to parallel as long as you comply with section 1 of TGM in that the club points at, or is parallel to the baseline (not target, but baseline). Trying to "get to parallel" is a flaw lots of guys have and can cause loss of desired hands position at the top (ie trying to be cupped at the top but ending up flat or bowed from overloading PA2 to force parallel)

I will mess with this lead heel lift thing though. When Im tight then I have a tendency to reverse pivot a lot.
[/quote]

I agree with not "trying" to get the shaft parallel. I just use that as a point of measure. But I do agree with allowing your upper body to turn as far as humanly possible without your left toe coming off the ground. Ballerina move!
[/quote]

Why? So that you'd have to re-stabilize the L knee and get you back to zero again to short of parallel?...Lol

What would you gain with that?

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1348803462' post='5708775']

[/quote]

Why? So that you'd have to re-stabilize the L knee and get you back to zero again to short of parallel?...Lol

[/quote]

I would gain my goal sir. You keep forgetting my purpose right now is not to gain any game or ball performance.

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1348805586' post='5708977']
[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1348803462' post='5708775']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I would gain my goal sir. You keep forgetting my purpose right now is not to gain any game or ball performance.
[/quote]

Even then. You will notice that Hogan seldom turned his shoulders at full 90 degrees to the targetline, only for drivers do I see him turning it that much. It is always short of it. His L shoulder always hits his chin though.

[quote name='TeeAce' timestamp='1349075124' post='5728989']
[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1349057487' post='5727841']
That tells you nothing Huge Balls...lol
[/quote]

Yep yep... nothing never tells or proves something... if it doesn't fit to your thoughts... and somehow they all are just opposite than what you want to see.
[/quote]

Look who's talking...what a hypocrite...at least I tell it to BHSP's face who backstabs...lol

[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1349091561' post='5729329']
[/quote]

Yep yep... nothing never tells or proves something... if it doesn't fit to your thoughts... and somehow they all are just opposite than what you want to see.
[/quote]

Look who's talking...what a hypocrite...at least I tell it to BHSP's face who backstabs...lol
[/quote]

I found interesting mail from my mailbox:

"[color=#333333][size=3][left]Also vincenzo Guy is HG again I know it"[/left][/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3][left]Nice. [/left][/size][/color]

I remember disagreeing with Tapio here way back and expressly saying "respectfully" disagree. You know what Tapio said eventually because I really can't agree with him? Tapio said Hogan is "wrong", and my opinions as well as of others that can't agree with him he calls "idiotic"!...lol

Never called anyone's opinions wrong or idiotic. I may be passionate about my opinions, but I never called anyone except in retaliation. This guy Tapio is a hypocrite. And yeah, and a HACK! A complete CHOP! Go in listen to him and be a hack and chop forever...lol

I'd rather listen and study Geoff, Mac and Larry's teachings...yeah, Tapio destroys our world...lol

[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1349092123' post='5729347']
I remember disagreeing with Tapio here way back and expressly saying "respectfully" disagree. You know what Tapio said eventually because I really can't agree with him? Tapio said Hogan is "wrong", and my opinions as well as of others that can't agree with him he calls "idiotic"!...lol

Never called anyone's opinions wrong or idiotic. I may be passionate about my opinions, but I never called anyone except in retaliation. This guy Tapio is a hypocrite. And yeah, and a HACK! A complete CHOP! Go in listen to him and be a hack and chop forever...lol

I'd rather listen and study Geoff, Mac and Larry's teachings...yeah, Tapio destroys our world...lol
[/quote]

The only thing I have said Hogan was wrong was using the word supination to describe bowing. And I haven't yet found any anatomical experts who disagrees with me about that.

But we alla re still waiting your swing to be seen and you to show us how it should be done. Meanwhile I work my continue my work with real players.

[quote name='TeeAce' timestamp='1349091823' post='5729333']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

"[color=#333333][size=3][left]Also vincenzo Guy is HG again I know it"[/left][/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3][left]Nice. [/left][/size][/color]
[/quote]

Lol...you needed that mail to figure that out?...rofl

[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1349099265' post='5729835']
[quote name='TeeAce' timestamp='1349091823' post='5729333']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

"
[left]Also vincenzo Guy is HG again I know it"[/left]

[left][color=#333333][size=3]Nice. [/size][/color][/left]

[/quote]

Lol...you needed that mail to figure that out?...rofl
[/quote]

No, I knew it long time before that, but I also feel others should also know how you try to confuse us using multiple nicknames and giving the feeling there is many guys against me. In many forums that's also strictly forbidden just for that reason.

[quote name='TeeAce' timestamp='1349100845' post='5730017']

No, I knew it long time before that, but I also feel others should also know how you try to confuse us using multiple nicknames and giving the feeling there is many guys against me. In many forums that's also strictly forbidden just for that reason.
[/quote]

Tee, I don't see a need for you to have to defend yourself. You coach pro-level players that are on tour or in Q-school, you've stated your golf swing opinions and firmly stand by them, and you've had the golf balls to put your own swing up for all to see (or rip apart). I have the highest respect for you Sir! Most of the guys around here are nobodys and are only good at typing on a keyboard in their underwear. And I'm one of those nobody's, but I do have on pants while I type! :stink:

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1349101740' post='5730113']
[quote name='TeeAce' timestamp='1349100845' post='5730017']
[/quote]

Tee, I don't see a need for you to have to defend yourself. You coach pro-level players that are on tour or in Q-school, you've stated your golf swing opinions and firmly stand by them, and you've had the golf balls to put your own swing up for all to see (or rip apart). I have the highest respect for you Sir! Most of the guys around here are nobodys and are only good at typing on a keyboard in their underwear. And I'm one of those nobody's, but I do have on pants while I type! :stink:
[/quote]

Lol...you like peeking into me while I type with my clothes off?...rofl

So, how come your swing still sucks after one year of listening to Tapio?...rofl

Tee, I don't see a need for you to have to defend yourself. You coach pro-level players that are on tour or in Q-school, you've stated your golf swing opinions and firmly stand by them, and you've had the golf balls to put your own swing up for all to see (or rip apart). I have the highest respect for you Sir!
[/quote]

Wait...Tee is your kind, criteria and standard of somebody?...lol...

[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1349141802' post='5734787']
Tee, I don't see a need for you to have to defend yourself. You coach pro-level players that are on tour or in Q-school, you've stated your golf swing opinions and firmly stand by them, and you've had the golf balls to put your own swing up for all to see (or rip apart). I have the highest respect for you Sir!
[/quote]

Wait...Tee is your kind, criteria and standard of somebody?...lol...
[/quote]

Is there some special reason moderators hasn't yet ban this guy?

I can't understand they let this continue all the time. Or maybe a friend as a moderator or something...

Apart from all of the stupid back and forth that has nothing to do with the swing (take it pm and leave the thread to Anthony's stories!!!)....this is the most fun I've had reading anything on this site. I'm only 17 pages in but had to skip to the end to make sure you're still working towards duplicating the visual aspect of Hogan's swing. I for one love the idea Anthony and in the process of you flinging slippers through the kitchen and breaking garage windows, I have found ways to take everyday moments and apply them to a mental fix of my swing...then run and find the closest golf club-like object and work it out!

Haha...keep it up Anthony...this is fabulous stuff.

-Daniel

M3 Diamana B70X
M1 15* Diamana B80X / MP20 HMB 2 Iron AD-DI 105X

718TMB 3 Iron Modus 120X
MP20 MMC 4-PW Modus 120X
SM8 50,54,58 Modus 120X
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

[quote name='uscfandan' timestamp='1349205720' post='5739181']
Apart from all of the stupid back and forth that has nothing to do with the swing (take it pm and leave the thread to Anthony's stories!!!)....this is the most fun I've had reading anything on this site. I'm only 17 pages in but had to skip to the end to make sure you're still working towards duplicating the visual aspect of Hogan's swing. I for one love the idea Anthony and in the process of you flinging slippers through the kitchen and breaking garage windows, I have found ways to take everyday moments and apply them to a mental fix of my swing...then run and find the closest golf club-like object and work it out!

Haha...keep it up Anthony...this is fabulous stuff.

-Daniel
[/quote]

Thanks Dan. Yep, I'm still working towards it. But I don't know if what I'm doing fabulous or anything. Just a measly science project. 'Hogangolf101' made a comment that after a year of my Hogan study, my swing still sucks lol. So I had to check. I compared my "Take 1" with where I am today; progress!!! Yeeeeeehawwwwww!!!! Although I'm not happy with it, it is progress. I wonder how much I will have progressed by Take 100? My original goal was to have it completed by #100. I might need to start spacing them out and make sure #100 happens when I am 84 years old!

Yah, I haven't put up any of the funny stories lately. Most are related to my wife Kim. But I have a feeling they are coming back. I've convinced her to help me with the swing. I need someone on the range to watch me and guide me through my reps. Has to be someone that does not play golf and hasn't analyzed the atoms out of it. When I'm on the range right now, I can't get any real feedback until I get home and review the recording. Would be great to have a live "coach" standing there to give me instant feedback on what my elbow did, or left knee/foot did, etc. And I don't want it to be a trained golf coach cause they are already "trained" to a particular methodology and style.

So just in case Kim doesn't come thru, I'm putting out an APB for a golf coach, but the prerequisites are:
- must not be a golf coach
- must never have played the game
:no2:

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1349210313' post='5739685']

So just in case Kim doesn't come thru, I'm putting out an APB for a golf coach, but the prerequisites are:
- must not be a golf coach
- must never have played the game
:no2:
[/quote]

Or I'll settle for a grey-haired dude with wrinkly skin that calls me "Look here son", and plays persimmons and blades, and has a 1-iron in his bag.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrdJNtwzBI0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrdJNtwzBI0[/url]

Because of the change in seasons, the driving range now closes at 6pm. So now I have to stop by there at 8am to get in some hitting practice. Best thing about this time of morning is the glaring sun in my face; I can't see where the ball is going. Allows me to put all my focus on the swing movement and not the result.

Tembolo, ballflight is towards the sun. :)