Beginning my try at duplicating Hogan's Swing

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1356370481' post='6112053']
Titleist irons have a constant blade length.

Golf clubs are different lengths to make consistent distance gaps. People generally already have too small of a gap with long irons and struggle to get them high enough. Longer shafts make lower lofted clubs go further and higher. Only an amateur engineer would think the 1iron golf idea is logical.
[/quote]

haha..that 1iron club length is funny.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1356370039' post='6112015']
[quote name='guisician' timestamp='1356369100' post='6111951']
[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1356367032' post='6111801']
Why the heck aren't all clubs the same length, with the same sized face, but with different lofts??.
[/quote]

Some have tried the same length shaft. Here's one:

[url="http://www.1irongolf.com/"]http://www.1irongolf.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Wow! This 1iron golf idea seems logical.
[/quote]

bad news swing project...you are an amateur engineer. ;)

Merry Christmas to you sir!

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1356374465' post='6112305']
[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1356370039' post='6112015']
[quote name='guisician' timestamp='1356369100' post='6111951']
[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1356367032' post='6111801']
Why the heck aren't all clubs the same length, with the same sized face, but with different lofts??.
[/quote]

Some have tried the same length shaft. Here's one:

[url="http://www.1irongolf.com/"]http://www.1irongolf.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Wow! This 1iron golf idea seems logical.
[/quote]

bad news swing project...you are an amateur engineer. ;)

Merry Christmas to you sir!
[/quote]
swing project,

Don't sweat it; writing as an amateur engineer & golfer both (tembolo has seen the latter firsthand), I'd say you've got plenty of company.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

Golf clubs are different lengths to make consistent distance gaps. People generally already have too small of a gap with long irons and struggle to get them high enough. Longer shafts make lower lofted clubs go further and higher. Only an amateur engineer would think the 1iron golf idea is logical.
[/quote]

Is your conclusion based on theoretical logic or on the "history" of golf. Hmmmm, so is this one logical or illogical:

- A baseball player uses a standard sized bat for every type of shot. Would it be more logical to have a itty bitty bat for bunts, a mid-length bat for line drive hits just over the infielders, and a full-sized bat for homeruns?

Baseball player is in the on-deck circle. Coach yells "why the heck do you have that long driver-styled bat?? Are you trying to hit the ball long or something?! Drop the ego son!!!!! We have a guy on third and we need him to score. Go grab the 8-iron styled bat so you can just drop it over the 1st basemans head!

lol....I crack myself up sometimes.....

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1356632626' post='6124379']
It's physics and engineering. A bat is a round bat with a round ball and distance control isn't a factor in baseball.

Golf is hitting a ball off the ground with a flat faced lofted tool. Distance control and gapping is everything in golf. The sports aren't even comparable
[/quote]

I was the cleanup batter in baseball an softball. Won a few regional home run Derbys. I was also the guy with the highest number of fly-balls caught at the warning track cause I was always tryin to jack em outa there. I was in plenty of situations where a simple base hit would have done the job. If I had a sand wedge bat, I could have been a great lead-off guy.

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1356623201' post='6123511']

[/quote]

Is your conclusion based on theoretical logic or on the "history" of golf. Hmmmm, so is this one logical or illogical:

- A baseball player uses a standard sized bat for every type of shot. Would it be more logical to have a itty bitty bat for bunts, a mid-length bat for line drive hits just over the infielders, and a full-sized bat for homeruns?

Baseball player is in the on-deck circle. Coach yells "why the heck do you have that long driver-styled bat?? Are you trying to hit the ball long or something?! Drop the ego son!!!!! We have a guy on third and we need him to score. Go grab the 8-iron styled bat so you can just drop it over the 1st basemans head!

[/quote]

Think you can swing a LW at 90 mph? The loft and length differences are designed to hit the ball different yardages. Nobody is playing defense on a golf course. Going up to the plate with different bats would telegraph your intent to the defense. Tommy Armour years ago made the EQL irons, where each one was the length of a 6 iron. Complete failure. Why? Because you can't swing a 6 iron length 3 iron fast enough to produce a 3 iron distance. So yardage gaps with these clubs were too small. If you don't believe it, try installing a 6 iron shaft into a driver, weight it up to get your desired swing weight and tell me how far you hit it.

Found this on Wishon's site about the EQL irons and woods. His comments (scroll down to comments section):

http://wishongolf.com/forged-irons-from-japan-vs-us-or-china-the-facts/

I know, it sounds good on paper, right? Very logical. Same for the many thousands of golfers who bought a set upon their introduction. 6 months later Armour Golf was out of business and in bankruptcy court. Why? Because something like 80% of the golfers who bought the EQL clubs returned them to ask for their money back because they did not like the performance of the clubs once they got used to them.
Two main reasons so many golfers did not like the clubs. 1) with all the woods being the same length as the 5 wood, the golfers could not hit the driver as far as they hit their old driver which was much longer in length. No matter that they hit the shorter EQL driver more consistently or straighter. In this game, if you give a golfer a driver he hits noticeably shorter than his old one, no matter the consistency or accuracy he is NOT going to like that because distance is SO IMPORTANT to so many golfers.
2) with all the irons the same length as the 6 iron, the distance difference between each iron was closer together than the golfers were used to with their old irons. This messed them up enough that it bothered them a lot. Second, with the 7, 8, 9 and wedges all being longer than their old irons, the golfers hit these scoring clubs too far and had a difficult time adjusting to just how far they hit each iron number vs what they were used to.
Add it all up and the concept that sounded good on paper failed miserably in practice. So much so that it put a formerly successful golf company out of business.

[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1356635123' post='6124591']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Think you can swing a LW at 90 mph? The loft and length differences are designed to hit the ball different yardages. Nobody is playing defense on a golf course. Going up to the plate with different bats would telegraph your intent to the defense. Tommy Armour years ago made the EQL irons, where each one was the length of a 6 iron. Complete failure. Why? Because you can't swing a 6 iron length 3 iron fast enough to produce a 3 iron distance. So yardage gaps with these clubs were too small. If you don't believe it, try installing a 6 iron shaft into a driver, weight it up to get your desired swing weight and tell me how far you hit it.
[/quote]

What you say makes sense. But I was leaning towards the "logical" golfer playing the entire course with just a 2 or 3 iron. Use it to drive, chip, and put. But then the game would be boring......or would it. Imagine the imagination needed to get out of the sand with a 2 iron lol.

This is on my list now. Whenever I learn how to hit an iron (within next 13 years), I will play 18 holes with that single club in my bag. And to make it even more fun, I'll play 13 rounds of golf with a single club.

Hmmmm...and another out-of-the-box thought (I have many of those each hour). What if a person played with only a 9iron for an entire year. I'm talking about from Jan 1 to Dec 30th. 9iron on the range. 9iron on the course. Every single round. Every single shot. Wonder if they would be a master at their 9iron?

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1356634929' post='6124581']
[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1356632626' post='6124379']
It's physics and engineering. A bat is a round bat with a round ball and distance control isn't a factor in baseball.

Golf is hitting a ball off the ground with a flat faced lofted tool. Distance control and gapping is everything in golf. The sports aren't even comparable
[/quote]

I was the cleanup batter in baseball an softball. Won a few regional home run Derbys. I was also the guy with the highest number of fly-balls caught at the warning track cause I was always tryin to jack em outa there. I was in plenty of situations where a simple base hit would have done the job. If I had a sand wedge bat, I could have been a great lead-off guy.
[/quote]

Being a baseball player who did not pick up a club til my 30s. I wish I knew how similar the 2 swings are when I started golf.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCLIkm9wB2Q[/media]

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1356637234' post='6124797']
[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1356635123' post='6124591']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What you say makes sense. But I was leaning towards the "logical" golfer playing the entire course with just a 2 or 3 iron. Use it to drive, chip, and put. But then the game would be boring......or would it. Imagine the imagination needed to get out of the sand with a 2 iron lol.

This is on my list now. Whenever I learn how to hit an iron (within next 13 years), I will play 18 holes with that single club in my bag. And to make it even more fun, I'll play 13 rounds of golf with a single club.

Hmmmm...and another out-of-the-box thought (I have many of those each hour). What if a person played with only a 9iron for an entire year. I'm talking about from Jan 1 to Dec 30th. 9iron on the range. 9iron on the course. Every single round. Every single shot. Wonder if they would be a master at their 9iron?
[/quote]

Good luck hitting that short side chip, bunker, or flop shot with a 2 iron. Or that 75 yard approach that you want to stop dead. lol

[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1356641767' post='6125211']
[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1356637234' post='6124797']

[/quote]

Good luck hitting that short side chip, bunker, or flop shot with a 2 iron. Or that 75 yard approach that you want to stop dead. lol
[/quote]

Guys,

Take a look at the video from this thread:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/762455-when-one-club-is-enough/

You haven't lived a full golf life until you watch Isao Aoki get out of his ridiculous bunker lie @ St. Andrews with a 5-iron.

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

[quote name='guisician' timestamp='1356667330' post='6127277']
[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1356641767' post='6125211']
[/quote]

Guys,

Take a look at the video from this thread:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/762455-when-one-club-is-enough/

You haven't lived a full golf life until you watch Isao Aoki get out of his ridiculous bunker lie @ St. Andrews with a 5-iron.
[/quote]

Thanks G. Was fun watching that. I'm sure a pro golfer using a single club could defeat me even if I were using all 14.

Seve could hit a flop shot with a 2 iron. Magical stuff.

Your left boob might let you do it too...if you can tap into its magical properties.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

This iron stuff is veeeeeeewy stwaaaaaaaange compared to a 5-wood. The SW weight is way different. I'm real close and bent over the ball. The 2iron head feels too light. I must have shanked 30 balls into that black bag sitting in front of the monitor. Couldn't figure out why it was happening, then I remembered that I have to address the irons with the toe on the ball and not the face, cause my club moves in toward the ball. Don't know if that's a bad thing or not. I learned some lessons from Byron Nelson and Hogan video this weekend......appears they were pushers of the club through impact. On the Coleman vid where Hogan says "very little pressure of the index finger of the right hand and the thumb. You get the pressure of your right hand with this butt pad of your index finger, going thru. There isn't any pressure going down or around....It just follows." What the heck does 'it just follows' mean????? All while he demonstrates a pushing motion. Not sure he was actually referring to a pushing with the arm, or hand, or something else. Will put together a Pushing Compilation vid. I really see this push-impact in Nelson, Trevino, Furyk, Calvin Peete . I sorta see it in Hogan too.

00:00 to 3:04 is reg speed.
4:33 to end is slow mo.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6ImJttcQoI[/media]

00:00 to 00:30 is reg speed.
00:34 to 4:20 is slow mo.

Working with the SW on one of my new custom swing drills. My favorite drill so far. Can't give any details about it yet cause I haven't finalized the whole thing. Still tweaking it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPuwzOm3BUI

[quote name='AlexCzervic' timestamp='1357529296' post='6181455']
Fairly certain he said not down or around just [b]forward[/b]. If your in the process of 'throw-away' your feels will be minimal. Do it Hogans way and you get all the feels Hogan emphasized in 5L. If you don't have the heavy ball feel with both hands you missed something and 5L will be nonsensical.

AC
[/quote]

At 10:10, he says not down or around, but forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkkowK-F_xo

I shouldn't even be thinking about any of this advanced stuff, but the BCS game got boring so i had to find something to help pass the time away. Figured i'd do a few early experiments. Oh well, experiment was fun.......back to the elementary drills tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=6r7Jfb0A0mw

Very curious thing about the Advanced Experiments from last night regarding the clubface at impact. It felt like it was just too closed too early. I had to sorta keep it open through impact. Didn't feel right. I'm bringing this up cause of the rumor about Hogan having his irons bent open. I really did want to build this swing without having to twerk my clubs; I wanted to be able to pick up any standard set of clubs and hit them. What if I really do have to get them bent open?!? It's gonna be a hassle to have to always have some "special" clubs whenever I play. Will see how far I can get without bending anything.

Are there any hookers here that have had to bend their clubs open? Can you still play with standard clubs that are not bent, or does everything go left?

On second thought, maybe what I was feeling was not real. Felt too closed, but maybe it was perfect square. Will try that Advanced Experiment on the range this weekend to see if the ball goes straight or left.

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1357663782' post='6190613']
Very curious thing about the Advanced Experiments from last night regarding the clubface at impact. It felt like it was just too closed too early. I had to sorta keep it open through impact. Didn't feel right. I'm bringing this up cause of the rumor about Hogan having his irons bent open. I really did want to build this swing without having to twerk my clubs; I wanted to be able to pick up any standard set of clubs and hit them. What if I really do have to get them bent open?!? It's gonna be a hassle to have to always have some "special" clubs whenever I play. Will see how far I can get without bending anything.

Are there any hookers here that have had to bend their clubs open? Can you still play with standard clubs that are not bent, or does everything go left?

On second thought, maybe what I was feeling was not real. Felt too closed, but maybe it was perfect square. Will try that Advanced Experiment on the range this weekend to see if the ball goes straight or left.
[/quote]

Mine are bent very flat. 7 degrees flat. I think with a hogan like swing you def need flatter gear. And heavy! Like a man!

Your jugs might not like a heavier club.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1357664322' post='6190659']

[/quote]

Mine are bent very flat. 7 degrees flat. I think with a hogan like swing you def need flatter gear. And heavy! Like a man!

[/quote]

But did you always have them 7degrees flat? Were you a hooker with standard off-the-shelf clubs? If now you swing with 7flat, what happens if you swing with standard non-flat? I would think that if 7flat gives you straight, then standard would give you left into the trees.

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1357665299' post='6190765']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1357664322' post='6190659']

[/quote]

[/quote]

But did you always have them 7degrees flat? Were you a hooker with standard off-the-shelf clubs? If now you swing with 7flat, what happens if you swing with standard non-flat? I would think that if 7flat gives you straight, then standard would give you left into the trees.
[/quote]

And you'd be right. I was a real prostitute of a hooker. If i hit standard gear I'd probably hit my left ankle.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

Just sent Kim a text asking "what you think about breast reduction surgery?"

She said "wtf. you got a problem with me?????"

I said "nope, it's for me!! My swoleness is getting in the way of my Hogan swing!!"

She said "please dont bother me if you're gonna talk about your hogan mess."

:taunt: Tembolo, yo're gonna get me fired! lololol

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1357665742' post='6190813']
Just sent Kim a text asking "what you think about breast reduction surgery?"

She said "wtf. you got a problem with me?????"

I said "nope, it's for me!! My swoleness is getting in the way of my Hogan swing!!"

She said "please dont bother me if you're gonna talk about your hogan mess."

:taunt: Tembolo, yo're gonna get me fired! lololol
[/quote]

My God! That is some funny stuff.

Speaking of which: how's the ballflight?

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

Been getting lots of flack about my "don't want to bother with bending clubs" comments. (Whew...word sure does get around fast these days. I haven't posted in that forum in months.)

Here's the explanation. And tembolo you need to be at the front of the class with your pencil down and eyes on the chalk board cause this has lots to do with the ballflight too:

I'm trying to build an aesthetic swing. Once the swing is built, then I'll get fit for clubs, based on the swing I've built. Lets say I'm successful and do build a very Hoganesque model, but my ball flight is suuuuuper high and always pushed right of my target. Then I would need my clubs bent down and closed (if there's such a thing).

I want to build the swing, them fit the clubs to it. I don't want to build the club, and fit the swing to it.

Wait a minute.........what I just typed makes no sense....if I were to build a very Hoganesque model then ya would think that I would need to swing the same club setup as his. SMDH at myself lol.

And would you believe that when I first began to organize/plan the project, I had the idea of not hitting a ball AT ALL for a few years. I was gonna put a convex plastic cover on the clubhead and throw away all my balls so I could focus on the actual swing. That idea lasted a few days. I think i even mentioned on this thread last year about "no more balls!" But I didn't have the discipine.

I need to text Kim and ask her what she thinks about loft and lie angles.........