2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

your club championship (stroke play or match play)

Jaliveto

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My golf club is in North Bay Ontario. It is a private club. The club championship is determined by 2 rounds of medal play qualifiying to determine 16 players who continue on the next weekend to determine the club champion via match play.

I prefer 4 rounds of medal play to determine a championship. Over 4 rounds, generally the best player will prevail. I feel that match play will lessen the difference between a better player and a poorer player, enabling a weaker player to have more chance of upsetting the better player.

My course is semi private.

Two days of stroke play. Senior men's flight, women's flight, first men's flight, and then championship men's flight.

First day all non senior men play from the tips. Then the low five scores after day one is in the championship flight and they remain on the championship tees. All other scores compete for the first flight and they move up one set of tees.

We don't handicap the field, just straight medal play. I know a lot of members are pushing to have the event handicapped. I disagree with that format because I play with too many guys at my club that are 8-10 handicaps but still are able to shoot 75. A handicapped field would blow the low handicappers out of the water as it tends to do in the majority of tournaments that use handicaps. I am playing to a +1 right now and I would have to shoot a couple of mid 60's probably to compete with the high handicappers.

Nathan

My course is semi private.

Two days of stroke play. Senior men's flight, women's flight, first men's flight, and then championship men's flight.

First day all non senior men play from the tips. Then the low five scores after day one is in the championship flight and they remain on the championship tees. All other scores compete for the first flight and they move up one set of tees.

We don't handicap the field, just straight medal play. I know a lot of members are pushing to have the event handicapped. I disagree with that format because I play with too many guys at my club that are 8-10 handicaps but still are able to shoot 75. A handicapped field would blow the low handicappers out of the water as it tends to do in the majority of tournaments that use handicaps. I am playing to a +1 right now and I would have to shoot a couple of mid 60's probably to compete with the high handicappers.

Nathan

Ours is semi private. Last year was stroke play and this year was 2 qualifying rounds and then top 16 in a match play. I feel a club championship is trying to reward the best golfer. And I do not think match play does this. It evens the field to much. Just look at todays World Match play. Tiger was beat 4&3 and Furyk was beat 6&4. Els was beat as well. None of them to strong players. If it were a four day tournament they would have the opportunity to recover.

Well, the club championship is stroke...But, our private club is 17 different clubs with 25 different courses (though we each have a "home course" though there isn't a difference in home vs. away, just where you can play in your club championship and you get to book tee times a couple days earlier) an incredible setup so we're not stuck with playing the same course. Next weekend is our Ryder Cup. It's my home course vs. a neighboring course (still part of the same membership) and that one is match.

Srixon Z565 10* 1* open Fubuki J S
Titleist 904F 13* Graffaloy Comp NT Blue Hybrid R tipped
PXG 317X 19* Aldila NV 2KXV Blue S
Srixon H45 Aldila NV 2KXV Blue S or 545 4i Steelfiber i95 S (depending on course)
Srixon 745 5-PW Steelfiber i95 S
SM6 Vokey 50* F grind, 56* S grind, 60* M grind--all with KBS 610's
Betti BB53C counterbalanced

Well, the club championship is stroke...But, our private club is 17 different clubs with 25 different courses (though we each have a "home course" though there isn't a difference in home vs. away, just where you can play in your club championship and you get to book tee times a couple days earlier) an incredible setup so we're not stuck with playing the same course. Next weekend is our Ryder Cup. It's my home course vs. a neighboring course (still part of the same membership) and that one is match.

That sounds BADASS!!! I wish we had something like that where each surrounding golf course has a small team and they compete against one another at each others home course.

Nathan

Our private course has 36 hole club championship stroke tournament in June and then after that, match play in 4 flights. Championship flight has 16 players in match play to play for the championship in match play.

Usually do well in it even though my club has about 5-6 scratch or better players in the match play of 16.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Qi10 9*, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 Tour 15*

SIM2 Max 21* Diamana 75-S

Qi10 Rescue 25* & 28* UST V2

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 50*, 54* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey White Ice DART 46"

That sounds BADASS!!! I wish we had something like that where each surrounding golf course has a small team and they compete against one another at each others home course.

Yeah, the whole membership package is great!! And it's incredibly affordable as well, which is even better (esp. with the wife :cheesy: ) As for the tourneys...They are great fun as well. You should get a couple surrounding clubs to do something like this, I bet they would be into it. I'm scheduled to play in the "Ryder Cup" right now, but my game has been off a bit as I have only played 3 times since Mid-June, and we do go by GHIN (georgia handicap index) as they group us into catagories and I am playing about 5 strokes off handicap right now.

Srixon Z565 10* 1* open Fubuki J S
Titleist 904F 13* Graffaloy Comp NT Blue Hybrid R tipped
PXG 317X 19* Aldila NV 2KXV Blue S
Srixon H45 Aldila NV 2KXV Blue S or 545 4i Steelfiber i95 S (depending on course)
Srixon 745 5-PW Steelfiber i95 S
SM6 Vokey 50* F grind, 56* S grind, 60* M grind--all with KBS 610's
Betti BB53C counterbalanced

My home clubs club championships are all 72 hole strokeplay. I feel it is the fairest way as it eliminates and 'luck of the draw' that is an element of matchplay.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

Semi-private.

We switched this year from what had been a 36-hole stroke play competition to a 36-hole qualifier with the low 8 qualifying for championship match play the following weekend. But the match play got rained out so I'm not sure what the status is now.

I would personally prefer a stroke play format for the championship and then also have a matchplay tourney sometime during the year. Not sure why they changed the format this year - I guess just to try something different.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour Rescue, GD AD-IZ 85S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

Public course here. We actually have both.

Early in the year we have the matchplay, you play 4 qualifying strokeplay rounds with the best 2 of 4 rounds counting and the Top 16 qualify through to the matchplay. I was thrashed in the semis this year.

Then later in the year we have a 54 hole strokeplay championship as well

public course. have to be a 5.0 or under handicap. 2 days of stroke play, played at scratch. i'm contemplating playing this year, cause my handicap is exactly 5.0 right now, and i'm getting better every day. not that id compete, but it is my home course after all, and i think i could put up a decent score. but 160 bucks for two rounds is pricey just for more experiance.