Golfing in Victoria, BC

Titleist87

Spending a week in Victoria next April and would like some thoughts on golf in the area. I will be staying at a condo on the Innner Harbour so Gorge Vale is the closest. Appears Victoria Golf Club is private so that is not possible - too bad, looks like a great set up along the coast. Any others you suggest that are worth a look?

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='drstroud' timestamp='1313764935' post='3501999']
Spending a week in Victoria next April and would like some thoughts on golf in the area. I will be staying at a condo on the Innner Harbour so Gorge Vale is the closest. Appears Victoria Golf Club is private so that is not possible - too bad, looks like a great set up along the coast. Any others you suggest that are worth a look?
[/quote]

Well, I would start making any connections that you can now for Victoria and Royal Colwood since you have plenty of time.
Victoria is something else from hole 3 to 10 and not much else in between. RC is a awesome old school layout that made me hit every club in the bag into the greens when I was much young.

There are many more course up there now then when I was making trips and people should chime in about them. There is I believe two JN course up there that get great reviews.

I also played Cordova Bay a few times and it was above ave. I heard that Gorge Vale is not bad either.

Hope you find a few connections to get you on those privates........GL

BG

Cordova Bay, Bear Mountain, Olympic View...

Also if you can rent a car or something there are some killer courses further up the island. Sagebrush is one of the best in the country but I think it has recently gone private :russian_roulette: . Crown Isle in Comox is nice, Morningstar in Parksville, Pheasant Glenn... There are a lot of nice courses on the Island.

[url="http://www.golfvancouverisland.ca/index.asp"]http://www.golfvanco...nd.ca/index.asp[/url]

I've never been up to Victoria but live in Seattle and receive offers to come up time to time. Here is a PDF brochure, hope it helps!

** edit ** file is too big to upload. If you PM me your email I will send it to you.

TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

Are we talking Victoria, BC?

Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='bpark1210' timestamp='1313774196' post='3502527']
[/quote]

Yes.

Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

[quote name='drstroud' timestamp='1313800795' post='3503706']
[quote name='bpark1210' timestamp='1313774196' post='3502527']
[/quote]

Yes.
[/quote]

Hope you enjoy that brochure, I look at it time to time and think about hopping on a ferry from Seattle to spend a weekend up there.

Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330

Just to let you know there is a weird tax rule in Victoria that makes it impossible to operate a fully private golf club because you get taxed to high heaven. This means that all the "clubs" have to make it possible for outsiders to play. They all have restrictions but you can get on any course if you want to.

The 4 best would be Gorge Vale, Royal Colwood, Uplands Golf Club and Victoria Golf Club in that order based on the golf (course layout, shot value and conditions). Victoria Club being the best "experience". Its not a great layout (think back to back par 3's twice) but it has some really cool holes along the water. A heads up aswell Gorge Vale and Royal Colwood will be co-hosting the Canadian amateur in 2012 so they are very well thought of by the RCGA.

Bear Mountain (both courses) and Highland Pacific are a good time. Cordova Bay is pretty good but its a little boring and can be quite wet at the start of the year.

Places to avoid. Glen meadows - Good layout worst conditions and drainage imaginable and Olympic View - Horrible layout and never in good shape.

Driver: 10.5* Taylormade Stealth GD Tour AD IZ 75x 
3 Iron: Titleist 712u Tour Issue S400
Irons: 4-PW 620 MB Nippon 125x
Wedges: SM9 50.08F 54.10S 58.08M S400
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Mid Slant

Thanks for the replies. Getting anxious to visit Victoria and play golf.

Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

[/quote]

Drstroud - Victoria Golf Club is private but if you are a member of another club then your pro can call the Pro Shop Staff at 250-598-4322 to arrange tee times. Tee times are at non peak times with Monday or Thursday afternoons or Wedensday mornings being the best bets to get out. 8 holes play along the pacific and 13 have views to the ocean. Its a classic AV Macan Design (was a member of VGC) which has gone under some restoration recently to return the club back to its roots. Royal Colwood is an excellent layout, Gorge Vale and Uplands are also nice. Some decent public tracks are Highland Pacific, Cordova Bay and Bear Mountain has 2 courses.

Feel free to ask if there are any otehr questions about BC Golf. There is so much variety to choose from (Desert, Mountain, Oceanside)

Scott Kolb GM VGC

[quote name='Kolbay' timestamp='1313887520' post='3505809']
[/quote]

Drstroud - Victoria Golf Club is private but if you are a member of another club then your pro can call the Pro Shop Staff at 250-598-4322 to arrange tee times. Tee times are at non peak times with Monday or Thursday afternoons or Wedensday mornings being the best bets to get out. 8 holes play along the pacific and 13 have views to the ocean. Its a classic AV Macan Design (was a member of VGC) which has gone under some restoration recently to return the club back to its roots. Royal Colwood is an excellent layout, Gorge Vale and Uplands are also nice. Some decent public tracks are Highland Pacific, Cordova Bay and Bear Mountain has 2 courses.

Feel free to ask if there are any otehr questions about BC Golf. There is so much variety to choose from (Desert, Mountain, Oceanside)

[b]Scott Kolb GM VGC
[/b][/quote]

Wow, now that's service.

[/quote]

Scott Kolb GM VGC
[/quote]

Thank you for the info, Scott. Unfortunately, I am not a member of a club. I've heard good things about Royal Colwood and Gorge Vale so I will check those out.

Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

Royal Colwood is a great track. Gorge Vale is very good but personally would choose RC if it was up to just one round.

Scott

[quote name='drstroud' timestamp='1313900132' post='3506280']
[/quote]

Scott Kolb GM VGC
[/quote]

Thank you for the info, Scott. Unfortunately, I am not a member of a club. I've heard good things about Royal Colwood and Gorge Vale so I will check those out.
[/quote]

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Bear Mountain if you want the option of two courses (both by Nicklaus Design). It's 30 minutes out of downtown up the Island Highway. If you can, try both courses in one day (they are both cart only). Highland Pacific is another public play course you can consider as well as Olympic View in the same area. All the above mentioned courses are in the Western Communities along with Royal Colwood. Uplands, Gorge Vale and Victoria Golf Club are in town and a cab ride would do it. Cordova Bay is on the Saanich Peninsula. About twenty minutes out of downtown. Try this web site for a reference to what is on the Island vis a vis golf:

[url="http://www.golfvancouverisland.ca/golf-trail/index.asp"]http://www.golfvanco...trail/index.asp[/url]

To the poster who mentioned Sagebrush Downs, it would be a long paddle across the Salish Sea, then a 200 mile ride (give or take) to play that course. Look forward to having you on the Island. Lots to do and see and you may not want to leave.