2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Designing and Manufacturing a Putter

Putter Project...
Hey guys,

I currently live in the U.K, am 16 years old, and am doing an engineering project as part of my A Levels, and have decided to design (on computer - CAD software SolidWorks) and make a golf putter. My school has a milling machine, and lathe, grinder etc. so hopefully I would be able to manufacture a prototype, as well as testing and simulating stresses on the computer software. If not, then I can always make a model using a 3D printer.

My aim is to build an innovative putter, while at the same time learn about engineering techniques and designs, specifically mechanical engineering. I currently play of a 1 handicap, and therefore have chosen this project as it interests me greatly. Also, I have been lucky enough to be taken around the Callaway Headquarters in Carlsbad, where one of their staff showed me manufacturing techniques, which thoroughly interested me. As a dream job, I would love to work in somewhere like this, where I can combine my passion of engineering and golf.

I have around 6 months to complete this project, which I believe is enough time to create a good product. I aim to manufacture the putter head and hosel, then purchase the shaft and grip separately which I would attach later on. Primarily, I would be investigating groove technology, materials, and the effects of force (eg. MOI) etc. on the putter. However, I need some information about putters, and having been reading this site for years, I knew that GolfWRX would give me this. I have searched, and seen some great putters which have been produced (Serge Deschamps, LaMont have been a great source of information) but just require some answers to some specific questions:

Firstly, I plan on manufacturing the hosel and head separately, then weld them together. Therefore, with the head, where would the centre of gravity need to be for the sweetspot to be in the centre of the putter, considering I would still need to attach a hosel? i.e. would it be in the centre of the face, or near the toes? Further to this, can someone please explain what toe hang actually is?

Secondly, has anyone any suggestions of materials which I would need to research? e.g. machined copper, brass (what number and type), steel (again no. and type). And also what figures will i need to analyse, like density, tension?

Thirdly, where is the lie angle of the putter? Is it the angle between the shaft and the floor? Or is it the angle between the perpendicular line from the floor and the shaft?

Lastly, have any of you manufactured a putter using 3D software? I just wanted to know whether it was hard to do so. I have some experience of ProDesktop and Solidworks, but not that much.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me in any way possible, and by answering any of my questions. If you have any questions about my project, such as wanting to know how I would produce certain features, please reply. Many Thanks :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello mate.

Toe hang is basically the opposite of face balanced. If you balanced a putter in the centre of the face, a putter with toe hang or toe droop would tend to fall toe first down to the ground. A face balanced putter, as the name suggests, would tend to have linear balance along the face. This is usually a trait of mallet headed putters (face balanced) versus bladed putters (toe hang) but either can be engineered to have either properties.

Material selection is usually a compromise of durability, cost and ability to shape. Most putters in production today use time and tested materials which are commonplace to either milling a solid billet or casting into a mould. Other materials may also be employed to acheive a unique look or feel (remember good old wood?) but you may be limited to what you can acheive with what you have to hand. I wouldn't worry too much about loft or lie for a putter set up because these can be adjusted to suit the individual user.

The biggest obstacle is, as you quite rightly put it, "to build an innovative putter". Without borrowing too much from existing designs, it's difficult to come up with a fresh idea that has form and function. But then again, that's your job! Hopefully, you can come up with something better than the usual heel-toe Anser clone that seems to be the norm - not that there is anything wrong with the classic design, but it could hardly be called innovative from your standpoint.

It can be done though - a guy posted a design on this forum a few months ago that was quite visually stunning and best of all, different.

Wish you luck.

Hey Guys,

Just some more information, and a few more questions.

On the manufacturing side, at our school we have a milling machine, which is huge. It is called a Bridgeport. Does anyone know whether this will be able to do CNC milling, as in programming the machine to automatically run through the metal based on the 3D image given to it? Or will I have to do this manually? I have no experience on this milling machine, so don't know. Also, there is a display on it, shown in another attached picture, so what is that used for?

Here is the machine:
[attachment=862330:SANY0024.JPG]

Here is the name, and you can also see the display:
[attachment=862332:SANY0026.JPG]

Here is the display:
[attachment=862333:SANY0027.JPG]

Also, here is the clamp. Would this be good enough? You can also see this nozzle thing - is that a pipe for some sort of liquid?
[attachment=862336:SANY0028.JPG]

Sorry for all the questions, I promise when I begin to use it I will understand how, therefore use it safely.

Also, our school has ordered a 3D printer, which can easily give a real sized model of the putter, but just in a different material (some sort of plastic). So I will be using this to see what the 3D image looks like in real life.

Serge is definitely the guy to answer these questions. He does cad work and is really innovative with a lot of different design aspects.

Can't wait to see this come out. I wish I had the tools/talent to do something like you are right now, good luck. :)

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

Is this a private school? This is some crazy stuff for a high school to have. I am a 3'rd year ME in college, and would love to help you with some of this if you have questions about some of the math and engineering topics as this is getting pretty advanced for a 16 year old.

A Bridgeport is a not a CNC machine, it is an older milling machine that is manually controlled. You still could make a putter on one of these and people used to all the time back in the day, but it is more difficult, less accurate and requires more skill then a true CNC. Rapid prototype machines (3d printers) would work directly from your CAD program, but would make the putter out of something that most likely wouldn't be functional for a putter (varies by machine usually a plastic.) It would still be a really cool project even if you only were able to make it on the rapid prototype machine.

Some of the questions you already asked:

[color=#1C2837][size=2][b]Therefore, with the head, where would the centre of gravity need to be for the sweetspot to be in the centre of the putter, considering I would still need to attach a hosel?[/b][/size][/color]
This would depend upon the the weight/shape of the head, weight/shape of the hosel, but it is pretty easy math, and I could help you with it once you have an outline of your design. If you did CS putter then it'd be simple center of the head would need to be the CG. If you shafted a the heel you would move the CG of the head towards the toe the amount depending upon shape and weight.

[color=#1C2837][size=2][b]and the effects of force (eg. MOI) etc. on the putter[/b][/size][/color]
[size="2"][color="#1c2837"]Just want to point out MOI and force are very different. MOI tells you how an object resists twisting from an applied force.[/color][/size]
[size="2"][color="#1c2837"]
[/color][/size]
[color=#1C2837][size=2][b]Secondly, has anyone any suggestions of materials which I would need to research? e.g. machined copper, brass (what number and type), steel (again no. and type). And also what figures will i need to analyse, like density, tension?[/b][/size][/color]
[size="2"][color="#1c2837"]Materials will effect, weight, feel, the raw look of the putter and sound. I would check what putters are being made out and work from there. The biggest material factor will be the density, because that will effect the weight which will effect MOI and where you attach your hosel.[/color][/size]
[size="2"][color="#1c2837"]
[/color][/size]
[color=#1C2837][size=2][b]Lastly, have any of you manufactured a putter using 3D software? I just wanted to know whether it was hard to do so. I have some experience of ProDesktop and Solidworks, but not that much.[/b][/size][/color]
[size="2"][color="#1c2837"]I have never made a putter but a putter is a pretty basic shape, and I have made much more complicated things. A putter should be pretty easy to make in Solidworks. Just start playing around with it and figuring out the controls. I don't know how the process goes from having it in Solidworks or CAD and then putting it on CNC, so I don't know how complicated that step would be.[/color][/size]

[quote name='NP04' timestamp='1316373590' post='3572059']
Hey guys,

I currently live in the U.K, am 16 years old, and am doing an engineering project as part of my A Levels, and have decided to design (on computer - CAD software SolidWorks) and make a golf putter. My school has a milling machine, and lathe, grinder etc. so hopefully I would be able to manufacture a prototype, as well as testing and simulating stresses on the computer software. If not, then I can always make a model using a 3D printer.

My aim is to build an innovative putter, while at the same time learn about engineering techniques and designs, specifically mechanical engineering. I currently play of a 1 handicap, and therefore have chosen this project as it interests me greatly. Also, I have been lucky enough to be taken around the Callaway Headquarters in Carlsbad, where one of their staff showed me manufacturing techniques, which thoroughly interested me. As a dream job, I would love to work in somewhere like this, where I can combine my passion of engineering and golf.

I have around 6 months to complete this project, which I believe is enough time to create a good product. I aim to manufacture the putter head and hosel, then purchase the shaft and grip separately which I would attach later on. Primarily, I would be investigating groove technology, materials, and the effects of force (eg. MOI) etc. on the putter. However, I need some information about putters, and having been reading this site for years, I knew that GolfWRX would give me this. I have searched, and seen some great putters which have been produced (Serge Deschamps, LaMont have been a great source of information) but just require some answers to some specific questions:

Firstly, I plan on manufacturing the hosel and head separately, then weld them together. Therefore, with the head, where would the centre of gravity need to be for the sweetspot to be in the centre of the putter, considering I would still need to attach a hosel? i.e. would it be in the centre of the face, or near the toes? Further to this, can someone please explain what toe hang actually is?

Secondly, has anyone any suggestions of materials which I would need to research? e.g. machined copper, brass (what number and type), steel (again no. and type). And also what figures will i need to analyse, like density, tension?

Thirdly, where is the lie angle of the putter? Is it the angle between the shaft and the floor? Or is it the angle between the perpendicular line from the floor and the shaft?

Lastly, have any of you manufactured a putter using 3D software? I just wanted to know whether it was hard to do so. I have some experience of ProDesktop and Solidworks, but not that much.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me in any way possible, and by answering any of my questions. If you have any questions about my project, such as wanting to know how I would produce certain features, please reply. Many Thanks :)
[/quote]

What a great project. I would have killed to get the experience you'll be getting. I toyed around in a machine shop a few times for various things, but I had no clue what I was doing. By the time I learned how the machines ACTUALLY worked, i didn't have time to make anything cool.

Anyways, answers to your questions:
1. you can make them out of one piece, which may be easier on the milling. However, if you're fairly skilled at welding it might be easier to make them separately. You want the COG to balance near the center of the face of the putter WITH THE HOSEL ATTACHED. As such, when you make the putter head, you should offset the weight toward to toe to account for the balance of the hosel attachment. you can estimate how far the COG will move by balancing the mass and COG. if you want specifics, I can explain to you by PM. Although not all putters have the COG in the center of the face, you will still need to balance some of the weight out toward the toe. So, if it's an anser-style putter, the toe-side bumper will be slightly larger than the heel-side bumper. many examples of this head can be found in these forums (look up byron morgans, lamont's, scotty camreon, etc--they all have more mass on the toe to account for the weight of the hosel).

Toe hang is a measure of how far the COG is from the shaft angle. If you balance the putter on your finger, toe hang is where the face of the putter points on a clock. A "face balanced" putter will point toward 3 O'clock. A heel-shafted putter will point towrad 6 O'clock. If a putter has "4:30" or "1/4" toe hang, that describes where the putter points. This is important because different types of putting strokes perform differently with different types of toe hang. A person who opens the face on the way back and closes it on the way through will prefer a putter with a lot of toe hang, whereas a person brings the putters straight back and then straight through will prefer a putter that is face balanced. However, the toe hang does not affect the COG of the putter. The COG should always be in the center. Instead, how far the shaft is set off from the COG (and the center of the club face) will determine the toe hang. Since you're welding the neck, you can determine this based on 1) how long the neck is, and 2) where you make the weld joint. look at some of hte plumber's neck putters (like scotty cameron newport) and also look at long neck models of the same putter. The ones with regular necks are 1/4 toe hang because she shaft is offset from the COG. The ones with long necks effectively move the shaft axis to the COG and are, therefore, face balanced.

2. materials will be dependent on what you want to do. Typical materials of putters are copper, carbon steel (1018/1020), and stainless steel (303 usually, but 17-4 is sometimes used as well). I posted here [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/508539-what-kind-of-steels-are-used-in-putters-17-4-etc/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...tters-17-4-etc/[/url] about the desirability of metals. you should also look at these from a machining standpoint. Stainless is more difficult to machine than carbon steel because of the composition of elements. Copper can be difficult as well. You'd do better to talk to a machinist about this though. Copper will be REALLY expensive too, so that's something to think about. i mean, it's a precious metal.

3. lie angle is the angle as measured to the floor. Typical lie angle is 70 to 72 degrees. However, you need to account understand that your putter may need to be adjusted from time to time. if your weld joint is poor, the hosel may break when someone tries to bend the lie or loft. hence, why you should work on your welding skills. Also, welding carbon is more difficult (or so i'm told) than welding stainless, and welding copper is a PITA. something to think about when you make your material choices.

4. never done a putter on solid modeling software, but i've done a few other things. It shouldn't be that difficult to mock it up. Just make sure you add in a few things: loft on the face (around 3-4 degrees) and a draft angle on the sole of the putter (so that the putter came come through after impact without dragging the ground).

For the actual work of machining, lamont and serge would probably be helpful. However, also check out http://www.practicalmachinist.com/. They have a machining forum there where you can learn some great info about specifics of how to machine. There are some very knowledgeable people there, so don't hesitate to ask questions.

The Bridgeport you will have to use manually. There are some things you can set like RPM (tool) speed, how quickly it feeds, and direction. The displays are when you are determining how much or far a cut you are making. You begin at 0 and then it runs to the stopping point you can program or set. This will help you when you are making a cut like in the cavity. It will help you determine how deep of cut you would like to make if your design has a cavity or pocket. With that Bridgeport you can mill everything by hand or you can use stops and some settings to help you. With the automatic feed it will help the look of the milling rather than how quick or slow you are turning it by hand. This will make the milling look the same if you are trying for a certain milled face look.

Wow, Thank you so much oneunderbogey and hebron1427 and johndeere10 (and Chappie! (I PM'ed Serge))for answering and contributing to some or all of my questions in such detail! That's why GolfWRX is so awesome! Also loads of thanks to shaggyhawkings, who has helped me with the physics via PM, and Wolsey, who has helped me greatly with designs!

oneunderbogey - Thanks for answering the questions! Yes, I go to a private school (in the UK) and we are really lucky to have all the equipment. I think we managed to get the milling machine at quite a discounted rate because it is old, but still it cost a lot. Thanks for the information about the Bridgeport, that was really helpful!

hebron1427 - Thanks also for answering the questions! The information about the hosel in the head was great. I will be using SolidWorks to design it, and I have been told that I can work out the COG using that, so I will design the putter head with the actual head and hosel as one, but when I make it I will make them separately. I sure will hone my welding skills! Both links were great, thanks, especially all the information about the metals which you contributed to!

johndeere10 - Thanks for the detailed explanation! That was great. Just one question, what do you mean my a certain face mill look? Is that like the deep mill scotty has on some of his putters, and is this possible using this equipment? Will I need any special attachments?

Just to let everyone know, I hope on starting producing the 3D drawing in SolidWorks next Monday. Also, I figured and see that some people are interested in my skills and the equipment at my school, so here is a picture of my project for GCSE, which I made last year at school:

Its made out of wood, and I got quite bored of wood at the end, so metal would be a good change.

The first one is a rendering using ProDesktop, another 3D software:
[attachment=862406:Screen Shot 2011-09-21 at 18.56.07.png]

This one is the actual product:
[attachment=862407:Screen Shot 2011-09-21 at 18.55.42.png]

[quote name='NP04' timestamp='1316622309' post='3580009']
Hey Guys,

Just some more information, and a few more questions.

On the manufacturing side, at our school we have a milling machine, which is huge. It is called a Bridgeport. Does anyone know whether this will be able to do CNC milling, as in programming the machine to automatically run through the metal based on the 3D image given to it? Or will I have to do this manually? I have no experience on this milling machine, so don't know. Also, there is a display on it, shown in another attached picture, so what is that used for?

Here is the machine:
[attachment=862330:SANY0024.JPG]

Here is the name, and you can also see the display:
[attachment=862332:SANY0026.JPG]

Here is the display:
[attachment=862333:SANY0027.JPG]

Also, here is the clamp. Would this be good enough? You can also see this nozzle thing - is that a pipe for some sort of liquid?
[attachment=862336:SANY0028.JPG]

Sorry for all the questions, I promise when I begin to use it I will understand how, therefore use it safely.

Also, our school has ordered a 3D printer, which can easily give a real sized model of the putter, but just in a different material (some sort of plastic). So I will be using this to see what the 3D image looks like in real life.

[/quote]

The Bridgeport machines which are used in most High Schools are all manual machines.

The Bridgeport Machine is the reason that Robert Bettinardi got in this business.

MB

Something Rare
Something JDM
WITB Link

[size=2]'It all started in 1990 when I saw a poster in a pro shop that stated a milled putter (Callaway, Bobby Jones Series) was made on a Bridgeport milling machine. My reaction was why make a precision instrument on an old outdated piece of equipment? Why not instead make a milled putter on a CNC (Computer Numeric Controlled) Machine?' Source: Robert Bettinardi Interview. [/size]
[size=2]
[/size]
[size=2]Thanks TheBoomer! Now I know I will be trying to make a precision instrument with an old outdated machine! Just kidding, I am so glad that we actually have a milling machine in our school, and if it was good enough for Mr. Bettinardi, then it will definitely be good enough for me... maybe I will follow in his footsteps?!?!?[/size]

[quote name='oneunderbogey' timestamp='1316628693' post='3580297']
Looks like you are off to a good start, keep us updated I can't wait to see how this turns out. Seems like you go to a great school take advantage of it. Any idea where you want to go for university?
[/quote]

Thanks! And I certainly will, I will definitely update it at least once a week for 6 months to show how it is improving, as I could also use this thread as a sort of log book! We need to also write a 3000 word dissertation to accompany the project, so this thread will prove invaluable to me, and hopefully it will interest you guys at the same time.

I'm not sure exactly yet, but I was thinking of Cambridge. I was thinking of going to the US, possibly Stanford, but I'm not sure whether I can get a golf or/and academic scholarship, because for international students the fees are quite expensive. But the hard part for both is getting in!

[quote name='NP04' timestamp='1316629130' post='3580321']
Looks like you are off to a good start, keep us updated I can't wait to see how this turns out. Seems like you go to a great school take advantage of it. Any idea where you want to go for university?
[/quote]

Thanks! And I certainly will, I will definitely update it at least once a week for 6 months to show how it is improving, as I could also use this thread as a sort of log book! We need to also write a 3000 word dissertation to accompany the project, so this thread will prove invaluable to me, and hopefully it will interest you guys at the same time.

I'm not sure exactly yet, but I was thinking of Cambridge. I was thinking of going to the US, possibly Stanford, but I'm not sure whether I can get a golf or/and academic scholarship, because for international students the fees are quite expensive. But the hard part for both is getting in!
[/quote]

There are other great schools in the US as well that aren't as expensive. Might i suggest Georgia Institute of Technology :wave:

NP04 it all depends if you are looking for a smooth,deep, medium or fine, or even rough millmarks like some T.P Mills putters have. All of this depends on cut depth, speed (how fast or slow tooling is going across), and rpm (speed tool is going around) you are milling the face. Also the tool you are using determines this too.

There used to be a great video on Scotty Cameron's website where shows you difference in mill marks depending on speed and rpm however it looks like they removed it. You can search youtube and you should find some examples of feed and rpm speed on mill marks.

Yes you should be able to deep mill the face with the Bridgeport.

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1316629318' post='3580331']
[/quote]

[/quote]

There are other great schools in the US as well that aren't as expensive. Might i suggest Georgia Institute of Technology :wave:
[/quote]

Or Virginia Tech ;)

[quote name='oneunderbogey' timestamp='1316633386' post='3580494']
[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1316629318' post='3580331']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Or Virginia Tech ;)
[/quote]

No. Va Tech is WAY more expensive.

and down there on the top ME school lists :secret:

[quote name='littleprov1x' timestamp='1316639141' post='3580687']
I would definitely stick with Cambridge over Georgia Tech and VTech. All school allegiances aside, this looks like an awesome project. I'm looking forward to seeing step-by-step pictures. Good luck!
[/quote]

if you want to be an english teacher, maybe. if you want to be an engineer, heck no.

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1316639600' post='3580707']
I would definitely stick with Cambridge over Georgia Tech and VTech. All school allegiances aside, this looks like an awesome project. I'm looking forward to seeing step-by-step pictures. Good luck!
[/quote]

if you want to be an english teacher, maybe. if you want to be an engineer, heck no.
[/quote]

Although people outside of engineering might not recognize it GT is one of the best in the world at what it does, Engineering. Also I amazed how cheap it is (I looked it up after hebron said VT was expensive.) Great school and would be a solid choice for anyone looking to go into Engineering. Also lots of good golf in the Atlanta area Hebron are you an alum?

that said Cambridge is great school and is pretty much good at everything. But also hard as hell to get into. GT would be a solid choice and worth applying to

[quote name='oneunderbogey' timestamp='1316640184' post='3580729']
[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1316639600' post='3580707']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Although people outside of engineering might not recognize it GT is one of the best in the world at what it does, Engineering. Also I amazed how cheap it is (I looked it up after hebron said VT was expensive.) Great school and would be a solid choice for anyone looking to go into Engineering. Also lots of good golf in the Atlanta area [u][b]Hebron are you an alum[/b][/u]?

that said Cambridge is great school and is pretty much good at everything. But also hard as hell to get into. GT would be a solid choice and worth applying to
[/quote]

how'd you guess? :rolleyes:

actually, it was FAR less expensive when i went there. tuition was about $1800/semester. this is only about 10 years ago--not like i went there when dinosaurs roamed the earth. they raised tuition when the state started cutting their funding a bit. comparitively, it's still REALLY low, especially considering the quality of the education you get. (of course, i went there for free, but that doesn't apply unless you went to high school in GA).

[quote name='littleprov1x' timestamp='1316650876' post='3581044']
Cambridge has an outstanding engineering program, probably the best in the UK.

[url="http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/engineering-and-IT.html"]http://www.timeshigh...ing-and-IT.html[/url]
[/quote]

well, that list is wrong. the professors at georgia tech actually were in charge of certifying princeton's program, so i don't how princeton would be ahead of the school that certified them. in this country, MIT is the king. CalTech is great, but no one is going there above MIT. I can't speak to the european ones on that list, but i can almost guarantee you that georgia tech costs less, and it's ranked #10 on this increadibly [s]un[/s]biased list.

That list is engineering and technology which is why you see cal tech above MIT. It is not an engineering list, there is a difference. I am sure cambridge has a great program, but when you are talking about top 10 schools in the world it really doesnt matter, what you do while your school will matter way more then if your degree is from GT or cambridge.

Thanks LaMont and Serge for taking your time to help me. I have read so much about you guys it would be great to have your advice!
LaMont - Thanks for your PM, I'm currently at school, I'll definately email you within 5 hours.
Serge - Just replied to your PM!, thanks also for taking the the time to check this thread out.

[quote name='NP04' timestamp='1316675300' post='3581829']
Thanks LaMont and Serge for taking your time to help me. I have read so much about you guys it would be great to have your advice!
LaMont - Thanks for your PM, I'm currently at school, I'll definately email you within 5 hours.
Serge - Just replied to your PM!, thanks also for taking the the time to check this thread out.
[/quote]

LaMont is great and really knows his stuff.

I'm sure Serge is too, but I've just never dealt with him personally.

My 2 cents....don't weld the hosel to the putter body. Attach using a machine screw, and make the hosel out of lightweight material, like aluminum, and the body out of something heavier, like stainless steel. OR......don't even HAVE a hosel, just drill the hole at 90* and use a double bend shaft. That way all of the weight is in the head, and you have the face balance that you want.

I wish I had the skills you are learning.....I have 4 putter designs that I would love to make, so keep doing what you are doing. Who knows, maybe the next generation of GolfWRXer will be showing off pics of their putter made by you.....