2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping G5 Driver WOW!

Judge Smails

I kind of want to kick myself for not getting a G5 sooner!

About my game: I am 26, 6'1" 200 single digit h'cap. I have played 5 time in the last year because of a move to a new town and new job. I grew up playing Mp14's that were way to flat for me so I had a very flat "picker/sweeper" swing that I have recently corrected. So I have always been a low ball hitter, the Ping G5, and some swing changes have changed that!

Looks: The moon is much smaller on the G5 and the head shape hides the size very well. I wouldn't call the look traditional like the J33, but it isn't bad. For me the square face angle and medium face depth are perfect and very confidence inspiring.

Feel: SOLID! No 460 driver feels as good as a say a 975D, but the G5 wasn't "pingy" or too metallic. I could have handled a less solid feel since the club performed so well otherwise, but I got more than I bargained for in the feel department with the G5.

Distance: I have a long deep towering ball flight with the G5. The distance was very good, but I didn't get a ton of roll or the same "hot" ball flight I get from say my T60 three wood. The roll wasn't great, but it was pretty wet yesterday in New England.

Ball Flight: My shots didn't balloon, but almost. I think the ProLaunch shaft and my new swing made the ball go a little higher than I would like, but as a former low ball hitter I can deal with that.

In summary, I am very happy with the G5. I could probably us a slightly lower launching shaft to go with this head. But after playing the J33 and worrying about worm burners, I can stomach a high deep ball flight. Feel, looks and performance were all excellent. I may play around with the shaft, but the G5 is a keeper.

Tsi3 10* Tensel 1k White 70x
Tsi2 16.5* Tour AD TP 8X;

Apex UW 19* Aldila Green 8x

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 iron

2019 T100 Tour issue 5-9 s400

SM9 46F, SM6 54s and 60s s400

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you. I played Titleist drivers in the past. 975D, JVS and 983K. I wanted something a little more forgiving with a higher ball flight. I picked up the G5 10.5 with the ProLaunch Blue. This club is so straight. I do think that the ball tends to ballon at times, so I may need to get a lower launching shaft.

I thoght about getting a 905R, but I can't justify trading in the ping G5.

Having played the 905R, I would say stick with the G5. The R isn't a horrible driver, but the G5 felt better and went straighter than the 905R. It also sets up much more square which is huge for me.

I see we agree on the ball flight. It is tough to know if the high flight is the shaft or the head. I can't complain too much through, I would rather get a nice high deep ball flight than a slow/mid trajectory shot that rolls longer. Proabably only 1 out of 6 drives actually "ballooned". I have no doubt the flight would come down with the right shaft.

I also might cut the butt end a little bit for control purposes. But that might stiffen the shaft up a bit and lower flight as well.

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

I agree with you. I played Titleist drivers in the past. 975D, JVS and 983K. I wanted something a little more forgiving with a higher ball flight. I picked up the G5 10.5 with the ProLaunch Blue. This club is so straight. I do think that the ball tends to ballon at times, so I may need to get a lower launching shaft.

I thoght about getting a 905R, but I can't justify trading in the ping G5.

I also play the G5 and love it. I notice though that you're both playing the 10.5* head and are having some issues with high ball flight. I currently play the 9* head and still have a high ball flight so I would tend to believe your assumptions about the ProLaunch shaft being high launching are correct.

Agreed, high ball flight seems to be a commone complaint about the G5. But I would guess the majority of people playing it are using the ProLaunch.

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

Agreed, high ball flight seems to be a commone complaint about the G5. But I would guess the majority of people playing it are using the ProLaunch.

I played the NV with a 9* head and it was way too high. I recently put an Accuflex Evolution in and it has lowered the ball flight with a much flatter more boring trajectory. I also tried the Vista Tour 60 and it brought the flight down too, but the Evolution seems to be a winner. I was fit for the NV by the Ping van and even when I told them that the ball flight was too high, they would just say that was the "ideal" flight. When the tried fitting me for a rapture I compared it side by side with my Bridgestone which had the same shaft but 3/4" shorter and the Bridgestone was much longer. The rep said it 'seems like that driver fits your swing'. Im still not sure if the G5 is only designed for players that have trouble getting the ball in the air or not. For now, I will keep experimenting with the Evolution. So far it has made the G5 a ton better. For me anyways.

I played the NV with a 9* head and it was way too high. I recently put an Accuflex Evolution in and it has lowered the ball flight with a much flatter more boring trajectory. I also tried the Vista Tour 60 and it brought the flight down too, but the Evolution seems to be a winner. I was fit for the NV by the Ping van and even when I told them that the ball flight was too high, they would just say that was the "ideal" flight. When the tried fitting me for a rapture I compared it side by side with my Bridgestone which had the same shaft but 3/4" shorter and the Bridgestone was much longer. The rep said it 'seems like that driver fits your swing'. Im still not sure if the G5 is only designed for players that have trouble getting the ball in the air or not. For now, I will keep experimenting with the Evolution. So far it has made the G5 a ton better. For me anyways.

Interesting post. For me, even if the G5 is designed to get the ball up in the air I am ok with that. For the first time in my life I am getting a ball flight that is bordering on too high. I love everything else about the head and as we have all come to the conlusion that a shaft change helps, well it seems like the G5's on potential hitch is fixable.

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

I am just wondering if I would benefit from another shaft. I have lost distance, but gained accuracy. I am hitting more fairways and have seen lower scores.

I get the same results as everyone on this post. I get no roll from my drives. The Ping guy wanted me to go with their stock shaft, but I liked the ProLaunch better.

I hit the Rature and didn't see much of a difference. The Ping Guy suggested the VS Proto might be a good combo for this club. It's just hard for me to justify spending the extra money on a Rapture.

I am thinking about buying a second head and experimenting with that one, while keeping the other one stock with the ProLaunch. As much as I want to increase roll and bring down ball flight, it is still the best driver I have hit this year and I don't want to mess with a pretty good thing.

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

If you like the prolaunch and want a slightly lower and flatter ball flight give the graf. comp nt a try. I went from a 10* G2 with prolaunch 65 to a 10.5* G5 with a comp nt 65 and it did just that. I don't think that the overall trajectory is that much lower but it is much flatter and boring and i get 10 to 15 more roll yards with the comp nt compared to the prolaunch. The comp nt still has that plasticy graffaloy feel to it, but not nearly as bad as the prolaunch does (i'm switching out of mine in my three wood as soon as i get some money saved up). Anyway. give the comp nt a try, about half the price of the vs proto.

Agree. I'm playing the TM 510 right now and have been over the last 3 years. I just hit the G5 9 degree at a demo day with the yellow and black V2 shaft and i was absolutely killing this thing. No exaggeration i was hitting it somewhere around 275-285 with an incredible ball flight. I loved the solid feel off the face and the non tin can sound. I only wish they had it in the shop or I woud have bought it.

If you like the prolaunch and want a slightly lower and flatter ball flight give the graf. comp nt a try. I went from a 10* G2 with prolaunch 65 to a 10.5* G5 with a comp nt 65 and it did just that. I don't think that the overall trajectory is that much lower but it is much flatter and boring and i get 10 to 15 more roll yards with the comp nt compared to the prolaunch. The comp nt still has that plasticy graffaloy feel to it, but not nearly as bad as the prolaunch does (i'm switching out of mine in my three wood as soon as i get some money saved up). Anyway. give the comp nt a try, about half the price of the vs proto.

Not a bad idea, I was actually looking for one with a Comp NT on ebay when I bought the G5 I have now. I actually like a heavier shaft so maybe I would even consider the 85g NT.

Has anyone used the Comp NT 85 as a driver shaft?

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

The V2 didn't work for me in the 905r, but maybe in a higher spinning head I would have better results.

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

When i was looking at the comp nt's, my clubfitter said he has actually done more 85 reshafts than 65's. I myself have lead tape right above the ferrule and right below my grip. I really think that I am a few yards longer with a bit more weight because my tempo is usually a lot better resulting in better swings and contact. The 85 should launch a bit lower than the 65 and knock a bit more spin off. Being you have a 10.5 head I would say go for the 85. I have actually thought about switching to a 9* head but i feel that I'm a lot more accurate with the 10.5 than any lower lofted drivers i ever had.

Great, now I already have a new project:) G5 with an 85 Comp NT here we come! haha

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

Any thoughts about the G5 compared to the Rapture?

I have a G5 and have tried the Rapture. For me, the Rapture probably hits slightly higher and maybe a few yards longer, but not a lot. If you're already hitting too high, the Rapture's not going to help. Even the VS Proto in the Rapture had a pretty high ball flight for me. I thought they were really too close to justify a change. I think I'm going to put a V2 in my G5 and go that route (at least for a few months).

V2 lowered ball flight and spin perfectly in G5 (compared to stock TFDD). Ultimately I felt the V2 was a little harsh-feeling for my newly reconstructed elbow, but the results were incredible. I might have tried a Comp NT, as it is smooth feeling by reputation. VS Proto certainly works for me in an FT-3; I look forward to trying the Rapture.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

comp nt 85 is a great shaft. don't tip it too much, it tends to play with a fairly stiff tip, but still mid launch.

Calvin,

That sound like the perfect shaft for me! Did you play the 85 in a driver?

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

I've just finished about 4 rounds with the Rapture and am switching back to my G5. I really like that G5 sound as compared to the more muted sound of the Rapture. Also, not sure if I can really detect a practical difference in distance or not. It will be interesting to see how the Rapture fares in the comsumer market - especially considering the extra price.

I recently switched to a 10.5 G5 with the Reg. stock TFC shaft from a 10.5 G2 with a Prolaunch and I love it! I hit the ball with a boring flight path (good-lots of roll) and the feel is much better than the Prolaunch. It feels so smooth. I really hit the G2 Prolaunch high but the G5 with TFC is perfect for me.

• 5 months later...
I've just finished about 4 rounds with the Rapture and am switching back to my G5. I really like that G5 sound as compared to the more muted sound of the Rapture. Also, not sure if I can really detect a practical difference in distance or not. It will be interesting to see how the Rapture fares in the comsumer market - especially considering the extra price.

I played the G5 driver all last summer, many variations in shafts and settled on the TFC 100D Reg for me. I had recently owned and played several versions of the Rapture driver and have mixed feelings on it. Comparing it to the G5 from a total distance standpoint, there MAY have been some gain, but 2-5 yards at the very most, but not consistently. I had problems skying the TFC shaft in the Rapture quite often. It seemed like the TFC shaft in the Rapture was way too soft, with extremely high (18 degrees) launch angle at times (never could get a consistent ball flight pattern with the TFC Reg....it felt very weak). I tried the REG Blue By You - PROTO shaft in the Rapture and had consistent problems hitting it too low.

The G5 Reg TFC shaft gives me a petter launch angle and carry, with much more consistent results....like ball in the fairway - just where I aim it.

I am not putting the Rapture down. I just think in the shafts offered, its not a good driver for me. It seems to be a better driver for someone either (a) needing to get the ball airborne quickly (i.e., TFC shaft), or (b) for a hard swinger needing to bring the ball flight down (PROTO). I fit in between the 2 and I just find the std equipped G5 to be the best fit for me.

You just have to find the right one for your swing characteristics. One does not fit all.

I have always thought that the G5 to be the best driver made by Ping to date. I hit it to places I have have never been before. I still feel that way.

For some, the Rapture may be the best fit. But not for me.

Go G5!!!!!!

Hey man, I'm the dude

All,

If you are struggling with ball flight that's too high, it's not necessarily the shaft. Ping drivers are notorious for "inaccurately-marked" lofts. They are generally 1 - 2* higher lofted than what's stamped on the sole!!! They do this on purpose and that's why Ping offers "digitally lasered" loft measurements. I have a G5 that is stamped 9* on the sole, but it is measured by Ping as 10.5*.

I have to agree with RangeRat..

I got a G5 labelled 10.5 but it actually measured 13...

My clubmaker measured it and told me to return it (it was originally a replacement for a G2 direct from Ping)

That G5 was sent back to Ping and it was acknowledged to be way out of spec.. They agreed that the loft is outside of acceptable range..

End up getting another G5.. which I threw in the towel and sold..

Have owned Ping TisiTec, Si3, G2 and two G5s.. got to say their paint job is getting worst and worst.. the G2/5 chips quite easily..

But then Skymarks are caused by the operator..

Great, now I already have a new project:) G5 with an 85 Comp NT here we come! haha

I play the G5 in 9* loft with the Grafalloy Prototype BiMatrx and its a great combo for me. I orignally had the Aldila NV when I purchased the driver but when I read about the BiMatrx it sounded great. By far the best shaft I've played to date. The trajectory is mid (only slightly higher than the NV) but the great thing is it reduces the spin so when the ball lands you don't lose any roll even though the ball flies a little higher. My father plays the same club with ProLaunch and when I hit his it is a moon ball....the grafalloy prototype has a lot lower trajectory than that.

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 TM P7MB (4-PW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 50.08(F), 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"