2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Playing Hickory Golf

Hi all,

I had a question about the hosiery/socks that those of you who have Plus 4's/2's are wearing. I have fairly thick calves and the King's Cross socks cut my circulation and then cause my ankles to swell. Any thoughts on this are much appreciated.

On another note, below is a picture from this past Saturday's IL event.

[attachment=3001454:JJ bunker shot 11-17-15.jpg]

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

I had a question about the hosiery/socks that those of you who have Plus 4's/2's are wearing. I have fairly thick calves and the King's Cross socks cut my circulation and then cause my ankles to swell. Any thoughts on this are much appreciated.

I've started to wear more non-argyle, or patternless socks. Starting to prefer the look and seems maybe a bit more consistent with most of the old photos I see. I've tried some department store men's knee socks and some athletic hose (all sport) but it it's hard to find them without logos. My next option will be "kilt hose" a more traditional looking Scottish sock in wool-blend. Probably better for this time of year and certainly authentic looking. If the kilt wearing Scottish highlanders can get these socks over their tree trunk calves, you should be just fine ;) Lots of options on eBay.

s-l225.jpg

• Various Brassies depending on mood: Scottish and UK made
  • Tom Stewart: Mongrel, Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick
  • Putters:  Tom Stewart blade or Gem, but lately Spalding Hollow Back
  • [url="http://norcalhickory.com"]NorCal Hickory[/url] - [url="http://pacifichickory.com"]Pacific Hickory[/url] - [url="https://www.instagram.com/stymiemagnet/"]StymieMagnet[/url] (100% hickory golf photos on Instagram)

Thank you Sir!

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Ping 410 7 wood

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

^^Awesome!^^

• Various Brassies depending on mood: Scottish and UK made
  • Tom Stewart: Mongrel, Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick
  • Putters:  Tom Stewart blade or Gem, but lately Spalding Hollow Back
  • [url="http://norcalhickory.com"]NorCal Hickory[/url] - [url="http://pacifichickory.com"]Pacific Hickory[/url] - [url="https://www.instagram.com/stymiemagnet/"]StymieMagnet[/url] (100% hickory golf photos on Instagram)

[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1445966724' post='12513628']
kirasdad and myself for sure!
[/quote]

Yup. I'm in, and Tim will buy the drinks.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

Nice to see hickory getting a little publicity on a mainstream golf blog.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/10/26/marshall-claims-lyles-world-hickory-open-title.html#comments

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Ping 410 7 wood

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

I liked this comment...

"I'm organizing a vintage game of American football with leather helmets. Takers?"

People will go ape poo-poo over vintage cars, motorbikes, even pedal bikes (not quite penny farthings, mind you), but say you're using old golf clubs and the vast majority of people look at you like you're the village idiot.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Kirasdad' timestamp='1447259689' post='12584288']
What the hell happened at Mid Pines?

I keep thinking someone will weigh in , but so far...crickets.
[/quote]

We owe you are write up on the World Hickory Open as well ... :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

[quote name='Kirasdad' timestamp='1447259689' post='12584288']
What the hell happened at Mid Pines?

I keep thinking someone will weigh in , but so far...crickets.
[/quote]

John:

Cliff Martin won with a birdie on the first playoff hole. Mark Hollingsworth and
Cliff were tied at 151 after 36 holes. Was tough sledding with the wet conditions,
cooler temps and the wind. Scores were generally higher than normal......

Had a great time and got to catch up with Holden Cornfield.

[quote name='Bella Woods' timestamp='1445554414' post='12493862']
A pic of a couple of Golf WRX guys at the 2015 World Hickory Open in Carnoustie Scotland - taken
at the Carnoustie Golf Hotel.

Stixman, Bella Woods and Blade Junkie. Had great fun meeting them in person and talking golf etc.....

[attachment=3003284:20151020_141105(0)-1.jpg]
[/quote]Neato now I know what you guys look like

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

[quote name='jonnygrouville' timestamp='1446059619' post='12519486']
I liked this comment...

"I'm organizing a vintage game of American football with leather helmets. Takers?"

People will go ape poo-poo over vintage cars, motorbikes, even pedal bikes (not quite penny farthings, mind you), but say you're using old golf clubs and the vast majority of people look at you like you're the village idiot.
[/quote] LOL they look at me like that now when I play the front line set in my signature and that is modern stuff compaired to the Hickory equipment you guys play I can just imagine

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

A pic from the Mid Pines Hickory Open......

Bella with Cliff Martin prior to the final round. Cliff was the Open champ about 4 1/2 hrs later
He is a [b]player[/b] and came out on top when it mattered - my hats off to him.

I have had the chance to discuss golf/equipment etc. with him around the USA and in Scotland
this year - he can play and is very knowledgeable on clubs - both classic and hickory as well.

[attachment=3028608:20151108_084950.jpg]

Oops - The non-duplicate thumbnail is Tony Smarrelli and Hugh Cameron - both great golfers as well.

Tony won the senior division with a pair of 73's (146) and Hugh shot 77/77 (154).

Also - that's my (and my wife) buddies Deal Hudson and Claire Smith on the right walking up to the practice green.

One of these days I will figure out how to properly attach the pics I intended.......

My congratulations to Cliff, as well. He put up some good scores for those conditions. My own play was less than stellar but I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I loved the course and the old hotel, and even more than that, all the good folks I met. Some I already knew from Birmingham but I also had the good fortune to meet and play with some new guys.

I'll definitely be making plans to go back next year and now I'm looking forward to Tad Moore's Southern Four Ball in the spring. You just can't beat the hickory scene.

BTW, I left Atlanta early Thursday and stopped in Augusta at Forest Hills for a warm up round. Like Mid Pines, it's a Donald Ross course and was the site Bobby Jone's first win of the year in 1930 as he warmed up for his Grand Slam run. They put me with three other singles who all got quite a kick out of my hickory clubs. It's a good course but pretty heavily trafficked.

Next year, though, I think I'll drive straight thru and try to get in an extra round at Mid Pines. I think it's the kind of course you could play everyday and not ever get tired of. Thursday night in the hotel bar someone told me that every single hole on the course was memorable in one way or another. After playing it for three days I'd have to agree. Even playing it at just 5800 yards or so its still quite a challenge.

Here's my other favorite part of Mid Pines: once you pull into the parking lot you never have to leave, at least not until you run out of money. Beds, booze, dining, and golf. What else could we need? :)

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Hugh Cameron. If you can't have fun playing golf with Hugh you should just hang up,the sticks and go do something else. The guy is a real original, great stories, just a fun guy. Takes a lash at it too. I saw him top one at French Lick that went 200 yards and never left the ground.

Cliff can golf his ball, as they say, as can Tony.

MP is a fantastic design that not only would one not ever tire of playing, but also takes more than a few rounds to figure things out.

I am planning on next year myself. I agree Kevin that the hickory camaraderie is simply hard to beat.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

[quote name='Bella Woods' timestamp='1447281435' post='12586014']
Oops - The non-duplicate thumbnail is Tony Smarrelli and Hugh Cameron - both great golfers as well.

Tony won the senior division with a pair of 73's (146) and Hugh shot 77/77 (154).

Also - that's my (and my wife) buddies [b]Deal Hudson[/b] and Claire Smith on the right walking up to the practice green.

One of these days I will figure out how to properly attach the pics I intended.......
[/quote]

Deal told me that he had a hole in one - maybe on 2. Said he shot 75, 80, which sounded pretty good to me.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Also - that's my (and my wife) buddies Deal Hudson and Claire Smith on the right walking up to the practice green.

[/quote]

Also looks like Chris Deinlein in the background of the Smarrelli picture.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

[quote name='gvogel' timestamp='1447349461' post='12589606']

Also - that's my (and my wife) buddies [b]Deal Hudson[/b] and Claire Smith on the right walking up to the practice green.

[/quote]

Deal told me that he had a hole in one - maybe on 2. Said he shot 75, 80, which sounded pretty good to me.
[/quote]

Deal did have a hole in one on hole #2 in the first round on his way to a 75 (said it was his 5th hole in one
but first with hickories).

[quote name='gvogel' timestamp='1447349641' post='12589624']

[/quote]

Also looks like Chris Deinlein in the background of the Smarrelli picture.
[/quote]

Good eye Greg - it is Chris......

The Wisconsin group is holding an event May 13/14 which will be played at Whistling Straits and its sister course "The Irish". I got an email stating there are still 20 spots left open. If you enjoyed watching last year's PGA, just imagine playing that course with hickories. Here is a link to their website where there is an entry form with more info and contact information. Just click on the links for May 13 or 14.

http://www.hickorykummelcup.com/

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Ping 410 7 wood

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Just finished our club championships.

6100 metres / 6680 yards from the plates.....with Hickory

81, 79 over the first 36 saw me 8 shots behind the leader. ( Kikuyu course that was water logged due to heavy unseasonal rains)

This weekend I shot 80 yesterday ( with 2 triples) to find myself 8 shots behind the leader in 4th place.

Today I shot one of the best hickory rounds of my life. 3 over 75 ( 13 fairways, 14 greens, 3 birdies, 4 bogeys, 1 double)

Ended up being the best round of the day and gained 6 shots on the leader.

Finished 2 shots behind in 2nd place. Pleasantly surprised with the result.

Over the past 4 rounds it has been fun hearing all the old stories from my playing partners about the history of the game from their memories. It was great to see them connect in a way with their golfing past that they had long forgotten.

One playing partner today ( in the last group with me) told me: [b]"that was the quietest and most beautiful sounding round of golf I have ever heard"[/b]

We are slowly winning over the masses here with our unique choice of playing equipment.

[quote name='Aussie_steeler' timestamp='1448181011' post='12630358']
Just finished our club championships.

6100 metres / 6680 yards from the plates.....with Hickory

81, 79 over the first 36 saw me 8 shots behind the leader. ( Kikuyu course that was water logged due to heavy unseasonal rains)

This weekend I shot 80 yesterday ( with 2 triples) to find myself 8 shots behind the leader in 4th place.

Today I shot one of the best hickory rounds of my life. 3 over 75 ( 13 fairways, 14 greens, 3 birdies, 4 bogeys, 1 double)

Ended up being the best round of the day and gained 6 shots on the leader.

Finished 2 shots behind in 2nd place. Pleasantly surprised with the result.

Over the past 4 rounds it has been fun hearing all the old stories from my playing partners about the history of the game from their memories. It was great to see them connect in a way with their golfing past that they had long forgotten.

One playing partner today ( in the last group with me) told me: [b]"that was the quietest and most beautiful sounding round of golf I have ever heard"[/b]

We are slowly winning over the masses here with our unique choice of playing equipment.
[/quote]Congratulations on your performance. Which ball did you use with your hickory clubs?