2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Scotty Cameron Napa

drew123

I was wondering why these putters are so expensive to buy. Where they made in limited quantities? Can someone chime in. I would like to get one but don't have $500 at the minimum. THanks for the replies.

Taylormade M3 440
Taylormade M3 15
Titleist 716 T-MB 2
Mizuno MP18
Vokey SM7
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are a nice putter. $500.00 plus nice who knows...Scotty is a master salesman the best the world of golf has ever known. He makes a great product that people are willing to pay big bucks for just about anything with his name on it. I said this before ...., there is a perceived value from from the golfing public that makes these putters worth more.

I have one available for less than 500 that's near MINT.

Something always to remember is RESALE VALUE. Napas keep their value better than any putter out there, so if you end up not liking it after a while, you'll most likely get your money back, or make money on it if you get a great buy.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...mp;#entry302887

imho opinion, your not saving money if you buy the Kent. With SC Napa you could use it for years and when its time sell it, you're actually making money. :(

Ron

I agree 100% with you Ron, and you and I both know by experience.

I would NEVER say one blade putter is better than the other, because they are about as simple a design as you can get. Tough to be better than the other. One thing is for sure though, resale on the napa only goes up, and has gone up for the past several years. You cannot deny that unless you are out to hate on the cameron name. Why can't we all just, get along? :)

I have a few more things to say about this... First Go Tigers... I have been a Tiger Fan Since 1968 ...

If what you want is a investment then go and buy a Napa.. Find the best one you can and hold on to it...

I am pretty sure you can find another copy of the Wilson 8802 blade that will putt just as good .It might have a different name Like Cleveland on it but it will putt just as nice. Eventually Byron will make a new blade and I am positive it will be just as good if not better than the Napa. It will never have the resale value of a Cameron,that is just the way it is....

The Kent appears to be a little to squared off to me. I love the more rounded look of a Napa/Cleveland Blade/Wilson 8802/Wilson Designed by Arnold Palmer. If the Kent was more rounded then I would certainly consider one.

I had a Napa for years. I sold it b/c the demand was such I just could not pass up the $. I recently switched to a Slighter Kent, it is a way better putter. Heavier head, softer feel.

Save yourself the money and buy a Kent.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Napa is very similar to the 8802 design. There are slight differences but this is the putter in which the Napa is patterned off of. Scotty Cameron has modified the design with input from touring pros.

i have never seen one "NAPA" in person. does anyone knows the dimension & weight? similar to wilson 8802 or cleveland "by design"....? thanks

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

I have an Oil Can Napa as my gamer. With all this talk I might just put it in storage for a while.

Aside from the Scotty Cameron vs Napa in the front/heel what are the differences between the GunBlue and Oil Can napa? Which is more "desireable"?

I could borrow the Napa and use it as my loaner gamer for a while. :(

I would love to be able to buy, and or trade, that putter from you.

I have an Oil Can Napa as my gamer. With all this talk I might just put it in storage for a while.

Aside from the Scotty Cameron vs Napa in the front/heel what are the differences between the GunBlue and Oil Can napa? Which is more "desireable"?

I could borrow the Napa and use it as my loaner gamer for a while. :(

I would love to be able to buy, and or trade, that putter from you.

Sam,

If you read my first and only post on Cameron Collector on how I got that putter, you would haggle with me no end. I even added to the price that I mentioned because of the exchange rate now compared to when I got it. It was actually a little lower.

I did save my putting sanity for about 4 months. I was averaging 36putts a round before I acquired it. So in the end it is priceless.

XXIO,

that napa you have probably isn't worth anything anymore... best just send it to me and i will make sure it doesn't get thrown to the dumpster...

must be worth a couple dollars...LOL...

My holiday napa was given to me as a gift... Mint condition and from a great guy! another reason why I just can't use it... (GUILTY PLEASURE THOUGH!!! I HAVE HIT 1 prov1 with it on my carpet... but never fear... I didn't set the putter on the carpet LOL) STILL FELT NICE THOUGH. By far one of the most beautiful scotties out there... with the black shaft and the black head and grr.. what a nice putter...

there are some CT napas out there that are just amazing!

Thanks if you are watching out there! LOL.

M.

M,

That would probably be the 50th offer I've gotten on this putter since I acquired it 9 months ago.

Sorry this putter saved my golf game. It really is a gamer. Condition is great/excellent because I had a gun factory refinish it in gun blue. No additional stampings lol :(

The finish is quite durable. Like I said I'm not a Cammie fanatic, so my Napa has a baby blue Iomic grip and a Bettinardi BB2 snap on cover (RJB did do the milling on the OCs anyway) as a tribute. I don't even remember where I put the original grip. It's supposed to be a pebble grip right?

BTW for the guy who wanted to buy a Napa. The best Napa/8802 out there for the money right now. Try the Ray Cook Austin1. Stainless Steel with a dampener that makes it feel a little less clicky. $39 NEW at 3balls. I have one waiting for the chrome to be stripped off, cut to 33 3/4" and an orange Iomic. For blades though carbon steel is still the best, or iff you have the $$$ the Holiday or the Bettinardi SB3 (carbon steel Japan release BB2)

right now my gamer is a Scotty Cameron 2005 American Classic 7 Napa. it was meant to be a part of the collection, but it hits so good that i have to use it. now i have to buy another one for the collection. :(

I would love a AMC VII to put in my bag as my gamer. I love this putter. I am not sure what was changed but I believe the AMC VII is a slightly different version of the Napa. I wonder if it is a 340g or 350g head.

right now my gamer is a Scotty Cameron 2005 American Classic 7 Napa. it was meant to be a part of the collection, but it hits so good that i have to use it. now i have to buy another one for the collection. :(

I would love a AMC VII to put in my bag as my gamer. I love this putter. I am not sure what was changed but I believe the AMC VII is a slightly different version of the Napa. I wonder if it is a 340g or 350g head.

i was reading in the Club Cameron section of the Cameron website that he feels this is the best version of the Napa that he has made yet, and that the older Napa's had more of a blockier shape to the while the AMC7 is more rounded, and flowing, and that it hits even better. whatever he did to it it works wonderfully.

For those of you who have spent a lot of money on 8802 copies, please disregard the following...

The best 8802 "remake" ever was made by Cleveland several years ago (early 90's). It was the "Designed By Cleveland" model that was before the Crenshaw model, and before the Corey Pavin model, and before their experiment with Berylium Copper or nickle (whatever it was).

I bought one, and a buddy of mine bought one (which he later sold to me) because it a perfect match to an 8802 I owned at the time (and later sold). And the putters cost us $59.95 each.

The top line, the width of the rear flange, the feel of the blade were incredibly accurate. Unfortunately, within about a year or so, they screwed it up.

I still use one to this day, and keep the other in a spare bag just in case.

Nothing made since then by Cleveland compares (within two years the putters they turned out didn't even look the same), or anyone else for that matter.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 10K 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

TaylorMade P790 4 - 9 Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM10 46-10F, 50-08F, 54-10S, 60-12D

TaylorMade Spider Tour

Titleist Pro V1

For those of you who have spent a lot of money on 8802 copies, please disregard the following...

The best 8802 "remake" ever was made by Cleveland several years ago (early 90's). It was the "Designed By Cleveland" model that was before the Crenshaw model, and before the Corey Pavin model, and before their experiment with Berylium Copper or nickle (whatever it was).

I bought one, and a buddy of mine bought one (which he later sold to me) because it a perfect match to an 8802 I owned at the time (and later sold). And the putters cost us $59.95 each.

The top line, the width of the rear flange, the feel of the blade were incredibly accurate. Unfortunately, within about a year or so, they screwed it up.

I still use one to this day, and keep the other in a spare bag just in case.

Nothing made since then by Cleveland compares (within two years the putters they turned out didn't even look the same), or anyone else for that matter.

I find 8802/Napa/Ironmaster lovers more discriminating than most other putter lovers.

I guess since it is such a simple design the differences stand out more. 1/4 more offset or a slightly squarish toe sticks out more on a 8802/Napa/BB2 than a subtle change like that on a Newport/Anser/BB1.

Example: I have a Ram (Forged) that I like the shape a lot, but I don't like the feel of the shaft. It plays a bit stiff and doesn't give enough feedback. The Ray Cook Austin1 that I just got in has a nice feel for a SS putter but I find the flange a bit roundish. I could go on and on about different versions. So far the OC is the best shape/feel combination for me. I'm hoping to get a SB3 soon though.

I found a White Hot #8, which is a nice blade shape with the white hot insert. While the insert may offend some purists, it's got a nice balanced feel. It's great if my stroke is getting a bit iffy, it helps me feel my right hand release and the putterhead rotate through impact. That open to close motion helps me make a ton of putts. The insert is a bit soft, but if you can find one they're worth a try. I am pretty sure they've got pretty rare recently, as I had a tough time finding mine. whatever puts the ball in the hole, i guess.

I have this Cleveland Designed by Ben Crenshaw that I had chrome stripped and refinished. I have since reshafted the DBBC.

I couldn't agree more in regards to the quality of the early Cleveland models. I believe that Roger Cleveland and Scotty worked on some of the early Cleveland models together and are both, obviously, huge fans of the Designed by Arnold Palmer and 8802 putters. I understand that Scotty had alot of trouble making his version initially because they never quite met his expectations. I have putted with original Palmers, original 8802s, and Napas. The early Clevelands feel and look at least as good as the original Palmers, where the Napa just doesn't seem to have the flowing look to it. Just my personal preference, although the Napa is, undoubtedly, a great putter.

Having said all that, and responding to the original question about the high price tag on the Napa, the prices on all the different variations of the Arnold Palmer/8802 design have gone up substantially in recent years. If you look at Ebay, even the later Wilson versions of the 8802, including the "Tour Special" are selling substantially higher than they were a couple of years ago. Because Cameron putters go at a premium, I think it only makes sense that the Napa would command the highest prices of the heel-shafted flange blade putters. From an investment standpoint, the Napa is sure to hold its' value, although it will be interesting to see where it goes when this style eventually goes out of vogue.

Question still remains; I don't think anyone answered it. Why are the Napa's so expensive still?

Simple supply and demand. The demand among Cameron fans continues to run hot, but the supply is limited. Napas have been out of production for many years except for two limited runs done the last two holiday time frames.

I couldn't agree more in regards to the quality of the early Cleveland models. I believe that Roger Cleveland and Scotty worked on some of the early Cleveland models together and are both, obviously, huge fans of the Designed by Arnold Palmer and 8802 putters. I understand that Scotty had alot of trouble making his version initially because they never quite met his expectations. I have putted with original Palmers, original 8802s, and Napas. The early Clevelands feel and look at least as good as the original Palmers, where the Napa just doesn't seem to have the flowing look to it. Just my personal preference, although the Napa is, undoubtedly, a great putter.

Having said all that, and responding to the original question about the high price tag on the Napa, the prices on all the different variations of the Arnold Palmer/8802 design have gone up substantially in recent years. If you look at Ebay, even the later Wilson versions of the 8802, including the "Tour Special" are selling substantially higher than they were a couple of years ago. Because Cameron putters go at a premium, I think it only makes sense that the Napa would command the highest prices of the heel-shafted flange blade putters. From an investment standpoint, the Napa is sure to hold its' value, although it will be interesting to see where it goes when this style eventually goes out of vogue.

Great point and great info. I did not know that Scotty worked with Cleveland. I couldn't agree more regarding the quality.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 10K 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

TaylorMade P790 4 - 9 Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM10 46-10F, 50-08F, 54-10S, 60-12D

TaylorMade Spider Tour

Titleist Pro V1

If memory serves me, Scotty Cameron was also involved in the Designed by Ben Crenshaw.