2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

A bit in advance, but ?? about Portland in June

Txstcatman

For an out-of-stater looking for suggestions
Hi Northwest WRXers!

I've got a few questions I'd like to leave for you all in hopes of doing some research and getting information.

First a little background:

My wife and I were recently married in September, but both being teachers we have not been able to take a proper honeymoon. Rather than take time away from our families during the holidays, we've decided to take a trip to Portland, OR from June 6-13. My wife, originally from the San Antonio area, lived in Portland for two years before moving back to Texas and our eventual relationship. She has talked constantly about how beautiful the northwest is in summer, and about the dragonboat races and rose garden festival and other goings on. Needless to say I'm really looking forward to this trip.

On to the questions:

We are looking at staying near her old neighborhood in the Hawthorne district. I've looked online just at Google maps and have seen a few courses pop up near the vacation rentals we've been eyeing. Does anyone have any recommendations on a practice range and courses for someone from Texas? I'm imagining that your golf seasons are opposite ours, with summer rates being higher than fall/winter. Down here, good courses are on the cheap during June and July, but Oct-March they're 50-100% higher in fees.

Also, does anyone here have experience in shipping clubs or flying airlines with them? It's never been something I've had to do and am wondering if UPS/FedExing them the week before would be similar in cost of if checking them on the airline would suffice. Or would it be more simple to just rent clubs from a course shop?

Thanks to everyone that can provide some suggestions and insight to Portland! I'm hoping to get at least two rounds of golf in while there.

Cheers,
Joey

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit west of where you're staying (Hillsboro) and haven't really played courses on that side of town yet so I can't give you 1st hand recommendations but I'm sure there are some pretty good practice facilities pretty close by your vac home. Portland isn't as enormous as SA so you shouldn't have too much issues getting around. Most of the courses will have websites so just look em up on Google and give em a call!

Rates will definitely be higher during the summer season here since it'll be dry and warm instead of cold and wet!

Haven't flown with clubs myself so can't help you there.

It really is nice here during the summer, hope you have a great trip!

Txst,
There are a lot of great courses in the area and most of them take 20-30 min. to get to. Heron Lakes would be pretty close and it has two sides which are both good tracks. There is Langdon Farms about a half hour south which is awesome. Eastmorland is another really tough track with a lot of history. You shouldn't have any problems finding great golf up here. For a practice facility Redtail in Tualatin is only 15 min. away and has everything you would need. Hope this helps.

Big Bertha 9* Diamana 70S
RBZ Tour 14.5* Diamana Ahina 82 X
Callaway Apex Pro forged 3-PW Rip Tour X
50*,54*,60* Callaway Forged Copper Wedge
Scotty Futura X Dual Balance

I'm thinking that even though it will be summer here you will still pay less for greens fee here than SA.
Here are some of my recommendations for courses:
Eastmoreland--great old traditional track that trys to sucker you into using your driver. Short, tight tree lined course that requires very good ball control.
Heron Lakes--there are 2 courses; the 1st is the Greenback which is okay. Then there is the Great Blue, probably my favorite course in PDX with the best closing hole in PDX area. This is a championship course designed by R T Jones jr. The front 9 are a lot of great & fun golf holes, #8 is a love/hate hole, a very demanding hole and I love it. The back 9 are a lot of great, tough golf holes. If you play there on Monday or Tuesday its around half price. Last year it was 28 bux for the Grt. Bl. and a little less for the Greenback.
Stone Creek--in Oregon City; this mite be a little out of the way for you. Front 9 is open & lots of fun with elevated & well garded greens; the back 9 is business and you will have to really control your ball.
Langdon Farm--good course, but usually too much for greens fee IMO. I'll drive 15 more minutes south and play the OGA course. Unfortunately all the personality of the OGA course is on the front 9, but not a bad course.
Chehalam Glenn--my new most favorite course, even more south than the OGA course. You gotta have it all with this course and will use every club in your bag. If your drive isn't at least 230 yds you will hate the back 9. Also, not a good walking course IMO.
Camas Meadows--over the river in Camas Wa, usually high greens fee, but if I can get it for less than 50 bux I'll play it. Check on Golfnow. This course, IMO, is a thinking mans course, very pretty, well kept and fun.
Indian Creek--This is up in Hood River which is a beautiful driver thru the Gorge. A short course with lots of risk/reward holes that will "homer" you. The course is always in excellent condition and if the west wind is blowing, my favorite conditions there, it will be interesting.
Most these course are on Golfnow and if you go to "hot deals" on Golfnow you can get some pretty good prices.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for the great information! My wife and I still can't believe we're getting to go for a week!

I'm cool with getting a couple rounds in @ the $50 price point assuming the course is worth it. I'll be saving the next few months for a travel bag and two green fees as well as airline baggage check. We're staying in the Hawthorne district and my wife told me about PDX's Zip Car program, something I'm going to read into for transportation. A friend of hers also gets discounts on rental cars so that may help us out too.

Definitely looking forward to this trip!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Txstcatman' timestamp='1325491640' post='4016541']
Thanks all for the great information! My wife and I still can't believe we're getting to go for a week!

I'm cool with getting a couple rounds in @ the $50 price point assuming the course is worth it. I'll be saving the next few months for a travel bag and two green fees as well as airline baggage check. We're staying in the Hawthorne district and my wife told me about PDX's Zip Car program, something I'm going to read into for transportation. A friend of hers also gets discounts on rental cars so that may help us out too.

Definitely looking forward to this trip!
[/quote]

It sounds like you are looking for some quality golf at bargain prices. If you have two rounds to play, and if you can play early, you can play Eastmoreland (http://eastmorelandgolfcourse.com/) for $ 20.00 earlybird price. You can also play Heron Lakes (play the Great Blue) course for $23.00 earlybird price. (http://heronlakesgolf.com/layout10.asp?id=201&page=5512) That is 36 holes of very challenging golf for under $50.00. Earlybird ends at 7:00 AM in June, I think. But coming out from Texas it is like 9:00 for you. Plus it is light at like 5:00 AM that time of year. Great variety as Eastmoreland is tight with smaller (you've got nothing like this in Texas), undulating, fast greens and the Heron Lakes, Great Blue is open and as long as you need it to be. Great Blue is similar to Onion Creek, if you've played that.

If your wife likes flowers, take her to The Rose Garden up above downtown Portland. We first go to this place, http://schnitzelwich.com/ (5th and Stark at a lunch cart?) pick up a pork schnitzelwich and take it up to the rose garden and do a lunch. The other flower venue is Crystal Springs Rhodi Park (http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/finder/index.cfm?propertyid=27&action=viewpark) that should be "on fire" during that time of year. It is adjacent to Eastmoreland GC.

If you have more time for golf, I would strongly urge you to try Cedars on Salmon Creek, about 25 minutes from downtown in Washington. (http://golfcedars.com/) Classical course, really fun and on the cheap side. This course, too, is something you would not find in TX. If you want to splurge, play Pumpkin Ridge. I would stay away from Stone Creek (cheaply tricked up disaster, IMO) and Chehalem Glenn, also over-tricked.

Have fun. Portland is a weird place. Be ready to be underwhelmed with weirdness.

Valhalla, I am coming!
Drums beating, cold English blood
runs hot.
they just can't kill the beast

Haha thanks much for the advice!

I guess I should be fair, I not trying to be a tight wad on this trip. If it costs 75 bucks to play somewhere so be it. I am sure the courses up there are of great quality, and I'd love a place where I could even snap a few photos.

Wife live in "Portlandia" for two years and knows her way arou town. We planned this trip around the dragonboat races and rose festival. Golf is a bonus activity for me. :-)

• 3 months later...

So I spent some time looking at TriMet routes and what not. Looks like two courses aren't much of a trip from the house we're renting: Eastmoreland and Glendoveer. Rose City isn't far either but I like the look of these other two. Really though I'd love to play Heron Lakes GB so I might sub it for Glendoveer and cab it over.

[quote name='Txstcatman' timestamp='1337926690' post='4975098']
So I spent some time looking at TriMet routes and what not. Looks like two courses aren't much of a trip from the house we're renting: Eastmoreland and Glendoveer. Rose City isn't far either but I like the look of these other two. Really though I'd love to play Heron Lakes GB so I might sub it for Glendoveer and cab it over.
[/quote]

Eastmoreland is a great track and you can't go wrong with either Heron Lakes course. Rose City is a fun one also. I just hope the weather flips back to the mid 70's instead of 50 and pouring down rain.

[quote name='NWgolfer19' timestamp='1337954528' post='4976024']
[quote name='Txstcatman' timestamp='1337926690' post='4975098']
[/quote]

Eastmoreland is a great track and you can't go wrong with either Heron Lakes course. Rose City is a fun one also. I just hope the weather flips back to the mid 70's instead of 50 and pouring down rain.
[/quote]

Yea, I'm definitely going to play Eastmoreland. I'm figuring things out for my second round during our stay. Wife is visiting old coworkers at Discovery Land on the 7th, then a coffee date with some girl friends another day. Just have to figure out when that is. We've also got a planned trip to Eugene to tour the UO Ducks athletic facilities, plus all the Rose Festival and Dragon boating events on the weekend.

Guess I should also ask, since I'm studying the Portland area map right now. Anyone have an opinion on Broadmoor or Gresham? Looking at the layout it seems interesting.

Ah yea then I'd recommend broadmoor, rose city, eastmoreland, glendoveer east (the west course is a pitch and putt) and heron lakes. Those all pretty much have bus routes right on them. Except for maybe Heron Lakes, you might have to get off at the expo center and then walk half a mile or so to the course but definitely play Heron Lakes Great Blue and Eastmoreland.

Thanks! I think that's going to be my plan of action while there nex week. If the wife and I weren't about to close on our first house we'd be going with lots of throw away money for things like a rental car and whatnot.

Maybe if we make this a yearly event I can spring for that and hit up some of the nice courses not in the immediate area.

Too bad you won't be in Eugene longer, I'd meet up with you at Emerald Valley. It's an awesome course at an affordable price. But enjoy your day at the UO you will love it. It's an amazing facility. Next go round I guess!

[quote name='poizster' timestamp='1338038816' post='4980770']
Ah yea then I'd recommend broadmoor, rose city, eastmoreland, glendoveer east (the west course is a pitch and putt) and heron lakes. Those all pretty much have bus routes right on them. Except for maybe Heron Lakes, you might have to get off at the expo center and then walk half a mile or so to the course but definitely play Heron Lakes Great Blue and Eastmoreland.
[/quote]

Poizster and 78blades are 100% correct on PDX golfing. Heck, if you promised them a trip to Kells for some 19th hole action they might even pick you up and play a round. Then maybe a Timbers game to round the evening out?

cheers, guys!

-spin

Haha, I was actually thinking how I might run into someone from Wrx while playing on this trip. If you see a guy in a Texas State Bobcats cap (my designated choice for my rounds of golf up there) then don't hesitate to say hi. Also, if anyone is interested in a Thursday morning round, I'm definitely playing on the 7th and was thinking Eastmoreland would be a great start!

[quote name='NWgolfer19' timestamp='1338252435' post='4991396']
Too bad you won't be in Eugene longer, I'd meet up with you at Emerald Valley. It's an awesome course at an affordable price. But enjoy your day at the UO you will love it. It's an amazing facility. Next go round I guess!
[/quote]

Yea, I know they do tours daily for the Ducks Athletics complex, but I'm not sure how long we'll be in town. We have a friend who has a ZipCar account that's going to pick up a car and drive us down. I'd hate to make them wait 4hr on me just to get in a round of golf. I think two rounds is pretty good for the week stay. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Honeymoon-Vacation in PDX has gotten off the a great start!

Friend picked us up last night and we ate dinner at McMenamins Mall 205 and had their great microbrew wheat beer. Got up this morning and did a quick two-bus trip out to Eastmoreland Golf Course. The staff there was amazing, from the proshop to the grounds crew. Hit a few range balls to warm up, then tackled the course. Surprised myself and shot an 87 from the blues while getting rained on for about 9-12 holes. Even almost aced the 17th with a 3iron faded into the wind that hit 2 inches left of the cup and hopped to two inches right of the cup. So far the Mrs. and I walked up and down Hawthorne and downtown Portland. Talk about a great start!

Think my second round will be Tuesday and the Eastmoreland guys all recommended Great Blue, Glendoveer, and Broadmoor, so I'm definitely going to hit one of those up. We're renting a car Sunday night to go do the UO Athletics Facility Tour Monday, and likely keep the car til Tuesday night, so I'll have easier transportation to wherever i decide to play.

Thanks again to everyone for the help in figuring out where to go!

Well, wife and I finally touched down back in Austin early this morning (1:30am, an hour and 15 minutes late).

So highlights of our vacation/honeymoon:

1.) Eastmoreland and Great Blue were as described. Great golf and easy to get to. Staff at both places was excellent, and Chuck and Mike, two gentlemen I played with at GB, were the nicest guys you could ask to be grouped with. Great Blue ate me for lunch compared to Eastmoreland, which struck me as odd since it was a bit wider and more forgiving left-to-right.

2.) Portland's transit system is AMAZING! Loved being able to hop on a bus or Max line and get wherever we wanted to go. Drivers were always courteous and helpful when it came to finding stops.

3.) Rose Festival activities were great. Rose Garden on Saturday and Dragonboat races on Sunday were highlights of our weekend.

4.) UO Athletics tour. Great to see the trophies, photos, and history associated with Oregon Athletics. Walking into their indoor practice facility and was definitely jaw-dropping. And we even caught a few minutes of one of UO's potential starting QBs working with a wide receiver. Unfortunately we couldn't go out onto Autzen Stadium as part of the tour because there was a HS football camp on the field. We did, however, spot Coach Chip Kelly on the field from our view out the tunnel.

5.) THE FOOD! Wow, Portland had some great food to take care of just about anything we wanted. My wife already knew most of these places, but wow was everyting great. McMenamins, Tanh Thao, Oasis Pizza Cafe, Pambiche, Por Que No, Tabor Hill Cafe, Dragon Well and Caldera Pub were all delicious. My two absolute favorite places though were Hawthorne Fish House and Pine State Biscuits. Had the halibut fish-n-chips with the jalapeno tartar sauce and it was the best thing I'd ever had at any seafood place. PSB had the most amazing breakfast while we shopped at the PSU Farmers Market (I think I had what they call the Reggie Deluxe).

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice on where to play some golf. PDX is an amazing town and I've already talked to my wife about making a trip there an annual event. We used AirBNB to find a apartment rental for the week at a very good rate, and the place had more space than we needed (in case future trips include a child).