2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Erin Hills (WI)

Pictures/review.
Well, I was initially supposed to be able to play this course in August. Wouldn't you know, something came up for work where I had to cancel (and I work in insurance, where golf is almost a pre-req).. :bomb:

If you unfamilure with it, it's a new course outside of Milwaukee that the USGA is going crazy over. You can read most of the published bits about it at their site: www.erinhills.com (there was recently a snippet about it in Golf Magazine, Vol 48, #10 - Oct). It really is a natural arena for golf.. as dirt was only moved on 4 holes. Thank God and the glaciers for that one..

But, I was finally able to play out there this past Saturday (Oct 14th). Weather wasn't the best, as there were 20 mph winds, and it was bloody cold (upper 30s, low 40s). But, hey.. at least it wasn't raining. Too bad we just missed the fall colors, as the course would have been absolutely georgeous..

Here are some thoughts and pictures (since nobody has really added any yet) of the course. I know some are blurry (sorry 'bout that).

1 (par 5) - Interesting. He hit into a left angling fairway, with a lot of ungilation. Depending on the lie you end up with will determine a lot on if you go for the green in two or not. Not me, as my lie was brutal. The green itself is cut out into a bog, so there's danger on three sides if you don't hit a decent shot.

2 (par 4) - Interesting as well. Short par 4, but placement is key. As, if you get out on the right side, you end up having a blind shot into a very, very small green. On top of that, there's an evil looking pot bunker on the right side. Precision is definitely the name of the game on this hole.

3 (par 4) - Long. This hole just says hit it. You'll more then likely still have a long shot in on the second shot, and there's a lot of harzard around the green. Woods, with a slope leading into it, on the left, sand to the front and on the right, and a lot of praire grass on the right as well (you don't want to be in it, trust me). I really liked this hole.

eh06_num3.jpg

4 (par 4) - Short, but precise. A lot of unglation in the fairway, with a lot of sand around the green. Very pretty area around the green though..

eh06_num4grn.jpg

5 (par 4) - Another long, and some-what uphill hole. Slight dogleg left by the green. A bit more open so you can try to stripe your drive, but a nasty pot bunker in the middle to keep you honest.

6 (par 3) - Kind of boring from the tee-box (honestly). That's until you get up to the green. It looks very small from the tee-boxes, but when you get up there it's a lot bigger with some tricky breaks. Sand up short to catch anything that's not hit well. I'd hate to have a back pin placement on the right, as it's really tucked and you don't know what's really back there from the tees.

7 (par 3) - This is a replica hole from Ireland. Can't see the green at all, you can only hit towards a white rock on a noll before the green (which gives you where the pin is). Totally hit and and pray. Really, it's just a matter of knowing your distances, and figuring out what the wind is going to do (as, chances are it's going to be windy). Unique.. kind of liked it.

8 (par 4) - Somewhat of a similar hole to #3. Uphill the hole way, with a lot of grass on either side. Have to a good shot off the tee-box to set yourself up. I didn't, so it ate me up.. once again, don't go into the tall grasses.

9 (par 4) - Very cool hole. Up hill tee shot to a dog-leg left. Then, uphill again to a raise green (the kind that says, "Screw you. Get it up here"). A lot of sand short to make sure you hit the shot. One of my favorite holes on the course (even though I didn't get a picture of it).

9A (par 3) - Settle your bets here. We didn't get to play it, as it was closed, but a nice lookin' par 3. Down hill, with a lot of sand. Not terribly long either..

10 (par 5) - Wow. Long sucker (blue: 624 yds, black 652 yds, double black 672 yds), that snakes it way towards a very sloped green. There's a shallow section in the middle of it, so pin placements can either make or break your day. Lot of hidden hazards as you make your way towards the green as well. Sand, praire grass (of course), with a hidden valley if you get too gready with your second shot. This hole ate me up and spit out the pieces. It's at this point that I'm guessing the pack nine really means business..

11 (par 4) - Short, with an elevated tee-box. Makes you think you can really hammer it to get there in one, but you have to be very precise with the sand around the green. Also a very tricky green to putt on.

12 (par 4) - A very precise hole that has you hit to a larger area of fairway, to hit through a narrow slot to see a sunken green. Very pretty hole though as you approach the green.

eh06_num12.jpg
eh06_num12gr.jpg

13 (par 3) - Straight forward par 3, that still requires a good tee-shot due to the green being sloped to the left with a decent ridge through it. Of course, it all will run towards a nasty looking bunker on that side.

eh06_num13.jpg

14 (par 5) - Shorter par 5, but a really cool hole. It follows a low land area/stream on the right side, as it arcs towards the right. If you go for it in two, it's a raised green with a very sloping front to reject shots. Total risk/reward, but very pretty.

eh06_num14.jpg

15 (par 4) - Another short par 4 from elevated tee-boxes, but wind will have you hitting anything from an iron to driver. Once again, a lot of bunkers around the green, which is raised (saying "get up here." again). A lot of tricky breaks on this green as well, with another promenant ridge running through it. Really enjoyed this hole as well..

eh06_num15.jpg

16 (par 3) - Definitely my favority par 3 on the course. Obstructed view of the green, which is set down into a little bowl. Trees surrounding things as well.. the picture was taken from way over on the side, and on top of a bench, so it really doesn't show it.

[eh06_num16.jpg

17 (par 4) - Longer par 4 where you can't see your landing area. But, almost everything will go to your favor. Open fairyway which feels to be through a small valley. Green cut out left, and to see it properly you need to favor the left side.

18 (par 5) - What a finishing hole. Long, with a hidden pot bunker around the 300 mark. Favor the right side and you'll be fine. A lot of sand short of the green, which can obstruct your view of a raised green, if you're in the wrong position. Holy Hill is off in the distance.. this sucker just looks the part.

The club house will look top-notch when it's finished. Cedar siding w/ cedar shingles, that when they weather will look like old world Wisconsin for sure. It was open (pro-shop, bar, etc), but none of the finishing work was done. I actally can't wait to see it next year..

I was very impressed with the lay-out on the course though. It just seems to get better and better which each hole you complete. It's still young, so the conditions aren't the best yet in the fairways. But, the greens a really nice.. roll true and, for how new they are, actually roll pretty quick. The course will give up a good score if you keep things in front of you and in play. If you have an errant shot though, things are going to add up in a hurry with the long praire grass. It's a manly course, as you have to hit the ball to do well. And, you definitely need to know your distances, as things can be deciving. Especially when you tie in the weather.

Yellow - 5434 total yards
Green - 6544 yds
Blue - 7112 yds
Black - 78224 yds
Double Black (championship) - 8266 yds

When we were finished, you just can't believe that they didn't change a lot of ground on the course (they only moved dirt on 4 holes). This course really will be amazing in a few years.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, had a chance to play the course again, as well as take some updated pictures.

Things have really improved on this track since last time I played it. Club house is almost finished (just need to finalize the guest rooms upstairs, which should be this fall), course has really grown in since last year (even though it's been insanely dry recently), and the green are amazing (currently rolling very true between 11 and 12 on the stimp). Here are some pictures from this recent trip.

Updated photos of the club house:

eh07_clubfrt.jpg

eh07_clubbk.jpg

Dining room:

eh07_clubdining.jpg

Bar:

eh07_clubbar.jpg

Locker room:

eh07_lockerrm.jpg

Overall, very nice. Attention to detail is very prevailant. From the people that you talk to/deal with, to the little things from pictures and lighting in the bar. Very old-world Wisconsin. Only grip would be the size. Locker room is very small, but adequate; and the dining room seems more of a conference room than a place to grab a nice dinner. The bar is great though, and that's where any of us would likely spend the majority of our time. When compairing it to Whistling Straights, while different, it's definitely not as grand. Although, I don't think it's necessarily supposed to be.

Didn't get a lot of the course, as I was dealing with my game (hitting the ball great, but just couldn't score because I couldn't putt to save my life). But, here are some shots that happened to catch my eye.

#3:

eh07_num3.jpg

#4 (green):

eh07_num4grn.jpg

#5 (green/traps):

eh07_num5grn.jpg

#15:

eh07_num15.jpg

#18 (from the just beyond the large center trap):

eh07_num18.jpg

Like I said before, the course is really growing in and improving. The greens right now are top notch, playing very true while remaining fair. Because we've had so little rain recently, it was hard to get things to stop. But, play the appropriate shot and you would be rewarded. After our round, we were talking with Bob Lange (owner) who came up to us on #18. Generally interested in our opinions on the course, etc. We even saw/talked to him in the bar a bit afterwards where he was talking with another group who had just come off the links. Overall, a great group of people running a course that will only improve. Rumor has it that the Men's Amature is still being discussed for 2011. Even if they don't get it, they're very happy with just having the Women's Pub Links in 2008. Afterwards, there's a good chance that there will be a few course revisions (added traps, moved berms, and possibly a repositioning of a green). Even if that doesn't happen, I've been very impressed with this course and it would remain one of the top course I've had the opportunity to play.

It really is a nice track. But, the more I've talked with local golfers, the more it seems like a love hate relationship. Most complaints are around the blind shots on several holes. But, realistically, as long as you're in the right position, you get good looks. As a result, the course really makes you play your bag and think yourself around..

Once again, awesome pics and review! Looks like a Crenshaw/Coore design? Who designed it?

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

The design team was Hurdzan/Fry with Ron Whitten (golf digest's head course critic).

They have another course in Wisconsin which is nearing completion as well. Although, it's more towards the middle of the state (Wisconsin Dells area). Looks like it won't open until fall of this year, or spring of next.

Here's the link: http://www.dells.com/display.php?id=479

And, their write-up:

Wild Rock Golf Club

The resort has also purchased 200 acres to the east of their current Wilderness Woods Golf Course, which used to be Sullivan Quarry in the town of Lake Delton, and has plans to build a new golf course on it.

The new 18-hole course will be designed by Hurdzan/Fry, creators of such noteworthy courses as Erin Hills in Erin, Wis. (site of the 2008 US Women's Amateur Public Links Championship); Desert Willow in Palm Desert, Calif; Calusa Pines, in Naple's, FL; Devil's Pulpit and Devil's Paintbrush courses north of Toronto; Old Stone Wall in PN; and Naple's National, in Naple's FL; many of which are being hailed as the top 50 best modern courses and top 100 courses in the country.

According to Dr. Mike Hurdzan, "The new course is guaranteed to be one of the top 5 courses in the state when completed. It will not only fulfill the challenging and strategic expectations of the individual golfer, but also blend in with the natural assets of the land which was once a quarry to create a truly memorable experience.

"It has always been our approach to respect environmental and ecological parameters and to design in harmony with them, and this new course will be no exception. Having once been the site of a stone quarry - there will be many interesting highlights to this course."

Construction of the new course is already underway. As a result, 9 holes of the current Wilderness golf course, Wilderness Woods, are being transformed into our new course. The remaining 9 holes make up our executive course, The Woods. The new course is targeted to open in fall of 2007.

• 3 months later...

Well, I had the opportunity to play the course one last time before the snow starts to fall (a possible 5" of the white stuff has the potential of falling tonight in the north part of the state), and a few things I'd like to add to my initial review.

Having the opportunity to play the track a few times is definitely an advantage, as you can use a lot of the angles of the land to your advantage. Regardless, each shot still has great value and none of the views become "boring". But, more importantly towards knowing the layout, are the different slopes of the greens. In my opinion, this is where the course really shines and defends itself. Very subtle breaks which are amplified by quick, although true, greens. If you hit an approach to the wrong area of a green, avoiding a three putt can become a serious task. I took the time to take pictures of the majority of the greens (the first didn't save/take for whatever reason), to add the the information which I presented to the boards. Some of the pictures aren't as "grand" as they would be during the summer, as they had just cut the prairie grasses for the winter. But, you shouldn't be in that stuff anyway.. right?

If you have the opportunity, definitely try to play a round here. You won't be disappointed. And, if you happen to need to round out a group, give me a call. As I doubt I would miss the chance at playing it again..

#2 -

2nd_grn.jpg

#3 -

3rd_grn.jpg

#4 -

4th_grn.jpg

#5 -

5th_grn.jpg

#6 -

6th_grn.jpg

#7 -

7th_grn.jpg

#8 -

8th_grn.jpg

#9 -

9th_grn2.jpg

#10 -

10th_grn.jpg

#11 -

11th_grn.jpg

#12 -

12th_grn.jpg

#13 -

13th_grn.jpg

#14 -

14th_grn.jpg

#15 -

15th_grn.jpg

15th_grn2.jpg

#16 -

16th_grn.jpg

16th_grn2.jpg

#17 -

17th_grn.jpg

#18 -

18th_grn.jpg

Yellow - 5434 total yards

Green - 6544 yds

Blue - 7112 yds

Black - 78224 yds

Double Black (championship) - 8266 yds

When we were finished, you just can't believe that they didn't change a lot of ground on the course (they only moved dirt on 4 holes). This course really will be amazing in a few years.

:rolleyes: Wow

Man, If I ever get out that way into that part of the country... that is a must play.

Nice pictures and thanks for the update!

Thank you for the great pics!

I was lucky enough to play Erin Hills twice this summer and it is just a spectacular golf course. IMO one of the great modern courses in this country. Once it grows in fully it will be just incredible. I would highly recommend anyone go way out of their way to see this one. It is completely natural and a joy to play. A great departure from the sterile "Championship" courses that people have been building for the last 20+ years.

One word of advice, skip the "Dell" hole and play the US Open routing with the Bye Hole. The Bye Hole might be the best par 3 at Erin Hills and the "Dell" is a very weak imitation of the Irish original.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

;) Wow

Man, If I ever get out that way into that part of the country... that is a must play.

Nice pictures and thanks for the update!

I'm not 100% sure on this year, but initially they had a "local" tournament called the "Back to Black". It was the full length of the course.. :rolleyes:

But, it obviously has the potential to keep up with the times if needed.

One word of advice, skip the "Dell" hole and play the US Open routing with the Bye Hole. The Bye Hole might be the best par 3 at Erin Hills and the "Dell" is a very weak imitation of the Irish original

It's worth the play regardless, since you still have the option to play the 19th between the front and back nines. It's funny though, as the dell hole really is a love/hate relationship. Personally, I think it's interesting, as it's simply something different. Although, I do feel that it doesn't necessarily fit in with the rest of the course. And, I definitely feel that the 19th is a better option and one of the stronger par 3s on the course.

In talking with Lange about it, he mentioned that the PGA officals that were there when the Senior tour was up at Whistling Striaghts (inspecting it again for future tournaments), the really liked it. But, in the same breath followed with, "but VJ never will." So, I guess we'll see what happens. I doubt it gets used when the different events start being played. A good rule of thumb will be this next summer when the Women's Pub Links is held..

• 10 months later...

I played the course yesterday, and it was the most challenging course I've ever played. The greens run fast (but true), and you never quite get a flat lie. The holes require a lot of target shots--you can never just stripe it down the fairway on every hole--and there are lots of blind shots.

My caddy said that the 2017 US Open is all but confirmed, and the USGA is having the course close down a month early this year to 1) lengthen a couple holes, even though this course is deadly long from the tips; 2) add about 30-40 bunkers; and 3) burn down the fescue in the rough to replace it with the tall, whispy style of fescue found on British Open courses; and 4) eliminate a blind shot or two so the pros can be more aggressive. The course website says that these additions are made in preparation for the Amateur, but it's plenty tough for that tournament already--the changes are really in preparation for the US Open, but the course can't quite advertise that until it's been announced.

On the one hand, I was glad that they're doing what the USGA asked in order to get the US Open. But I was also a little disappointed that the new changes will require some earth moving. One of the best things about Erin Hills is how natural it is--they moved dirt on only 4 holes to create the course, and moved a significant amount of dirt on only one hole (the first). When they make the changes, there will undoubtedly be a little bit more earth moving involved, and the course won't be quite as natural. I guess being able to say you're going to host a US Open 12 years after opening is a pretty good consolation.

The only fault I found with the course was the Dell hole--the blind par 3 7th. You can't see the green at all (let a along the pin) and must just aim for a rock as the center of the green and trust your yardage. Even with a caddy, it's pretty difficult to give yourself a birdie opportunity with much more than luck.

I've played there a couple of times and really love the layout. It is a suprisingly brutal walk. How are the course conditions? I know it is not supposed to be a country club setting, but the times I played I was bummed out by the poor conditions. I hope it is getting better. That is awesome about the US Open. I think those USGA changes will probably be good. The course had too many blind shots to keep the pace of play moving. But actually I like the dell hole. Trust and swing.

sounds exciting for Erin Hills. I just hope they keep the prices close to what they are now and don't get out of hand because of the hype.

I've played there a couple of times and really love the layout. It is a suprisingly brutal walk. How are the course conditions? I know it is not supposed to be a country club setting, but the times I played I was bummed out by the poor conditions. I hope it is getting better. That is awesome about the US Open. I think those USGA changes will probably be good. The course had too many blind shots to keep the pace of play moving. But actually I like the dell hole. Trust and swing.

sounds exciting for Erin Hills. I just hope they keep the prices close to what they are now and don't get out of hand because of the hype.

This was my first time playing the course, so I don't have a point of reference.

But in comparison the condition of other Wisconsin courses I've played this year, the course conditions were really quite good considering the weather. It's been a tough year here in Wisconsin. We had record snowfalls in the winter that probably hurt some of the fescue at Erin Hills. Then we had hundred-year flooding in early June, and I hear that a couple of greens (such as the first) were underwater. Now we're in the middle of a drought. But despite all this, the greens are now in really good shape, and the fairways are looking great. The only thing that doesn't look the best right now is the fescue in the rough, but they're replacing most of that in anticipation for the majors anyway.

I agree with you that the course conditions can be disappointing if you're going to compare it to a country club. The bunkers are in a "washout" style with really rough edges, and the non-fescue rough can get a little dry. But when you realize that the course was intended to use (rather than hide) the rough Wisconsin landscape on which it was built, I think that the conditions are all the more remarkable.

I didn't ask the question, but I wouldn't be surprised if the greens fees go up a little bit from $150 after they (crossing fingers) announce the US Open. Not even Whistling Straits has that on its resume, and it's already charging somewhere around $400+ a round with a caddie and tip.

It's too bad they're going to close the course to prepare for the US Amateur at the beginning of October, which is about a couple weeks before the peak color change here.

My caddy said that the 2017 US Open is all but confirmed, and the USGA is having the course close down a month early this year to 1) lengthen a couple holes, even though this course is deadly long from the tips; 2) add about 30-40 bunkers; and 3) burn down the fescue in the rough to replace it with the tall, whispy style of fescue found on British Open courses; and 4) eliminate a blind shot or two so the pros can be more aggressive.

They had sent out a letter/email regarding the changes for those on their mailing list a few weeks ago. Because of the closure, they're running a special on greens fees for the last few weeks they plan on being open. Of the things you mentioned, they're also planning on doing some work on the greens. The green on numbers one and two are being enlarged, and the tenth is going to have the front "tier" shaved down. There was a lot of talk regarding the sixtenth green being moved behind it's current position, making it a more of an up-hill shot, but there hasn't been any mention of it since I was talking to the superintendent last year. I do have to say that I'm a bit disappointed that they're talking about changing the fescue. Those are all native prairie grasses/plants, and IMO should be kept because of the region the course is in. To me, it causes the course to fit in more with being almost completely natural. Which, is a very nice touch..

I actually get a chance to play it again in a few weeks, and am really looking forward to it. It'll be interesting to see how the course has come along since the past couple of years. But, everyone needs to realize that this course is really designed to be "British". Meaning, hard and fast without the typical lush conditions most of our courses have on this side of the pond. As a result, some of the conditions might remain a little "rough". In any case, I'll do a true update with complete/update pictures.

Did the fairways play hard and fast too?

Everytime I play the Irish course, I am surprised/disappointed at how wet the fairways are. They really water it heavily. It looks like it should play hard and fast and never actually does play that way.

I haven't played WS because I think $400 is crazy to pay.

My caddy said that the 2017 US Open is all but confirmed, and the USGA is having the course close down a month early this year to 1) lengthen a couple holes, even though this course is deadly long from the tips; 2) add about 30-40 bunkers; and 3) burn down the fescue in the rough to replace it with the tall, whispy style of fescue found on British Open courses; and 4) eliminate a blind shot or two so the pros can be more aggressive.

They had sent out a letter/email regarding the changes for those on their mailing list a few weeks ago. Because of the closure, they're running a special on greens fees for the last few weeks they plan on being open. Of the things you mentioned, they're also planning on doing some work on the greens. The green on numbers one and two are being enlarged, and the tenth is going to have the front "tier" shaved down. There was a lot of talk regarding the sixtenth green being moved behind it's current position, making it a more of an up-hill shot, but there hasn't been any mention of it since I was talking to the superintendent last year. I do have to say that I'm a bit disappointed that they're talking about changing the fescue. Those are all native prairie grasses/plants, and IMO should be kept because of the region the course is in. To me, it causes the course to fit in more with being almost completely natural. Which, is a very nice touch..

I actually get a chance to play it again in a few weeks, and am really looking forward to it. It'll be interesting to see how the course has come along since the past couple of years. But, everyone needs to realize that this course is really designed to be "British". Meaning, hard and fast without the typical lush conditions most of our courses have on this side of the pond. As a result, some of the conditions might remain a little "rough". In any case, I'll do a true update with complete/update pictures.

How do you get on their mailing list?

Hole 1: I thought the green was ok as it was, but I guess it would make sense to enlarge it a little if you want to give anyone a chance of reaching it in 2.

Hole 2: That green needs a little enlargement. It's the size of a postage stamp right now. I wouldn't mind a bigger green, but some really nasty bunkers protecting it so it's a testy (if short) hole.

I'll look forward to seeing your opinion of how it's changed since the last time you played it!

Did the fairways play hard and fast too?

Everytime I play the Irish course, I am surprised/disappointed at how wet the fairways are. They really water it heavily. It looks like it should play hard and fast and never actually does play that way.

I haven't played WS because I think $400 is crazy to pay.

I wouldn't say the course plays too hard and fast, at least on the fairways. They water them, and they're lush, but not wet. Your ball won't roll 40 yards and scamper across the fairway and into the rough like it will at St. Andrews, but it won't plug, either. The greens, however, are very quick.

• 3 weeks later...
How do you get on their mailing list?

From when I set-up different groups of tee-times throughout the year. I've talked with Kent via email, as well as used it to verify the tee-times each year. On top of the mailer, I've also been signed up for a complimentary subscription to Links Magazine.

Hole 1: I thought the green was ok as it was, but I guess it would make sense to enlarge it a little if you want to give anyone a chance of reaching it in 2.

Hole 2: That green needs a little enlargement. It's the size of a postage stamp right now. I wouldn't mind a bigger green, but some really nasty bunkers protecting it so it's a testy (if short) hole.

I don't mind the green on number one. With it's position, it become a very serious task on hitting it in two. And, considering the rib that runs in from the front, it can play a lot bigger than it actually is. Especially if the course conditions are a bit harder.

I agree with you on two though. A crowned green of that size is a bit much. I don't mind the small pot bunker, or how everything will run off to collection areas surrounding the green, but the size of area that you have to hit for your ball to stick on the green is too small. When considering there's a very good chance that your approach shot will be blind, it makes the hole to "gimmickie". The actually landing area is just too small to be able to hit into for a good view of the green (draw around the hill on the left, roughly 260yds+ out). Without the planned changes, it wouldn't go over well during an actual PGA or USGA event. Although, it would be really interesting to see how they would actually set the hole up for tournement play.

As for the other changes, I agree with them changing the front of number 10. The slope is just too severe in the center of that green. So, lowing the front will be a bit help. I also agree with them taking the rib that juts out into the center of the fairway on number 17, by the green, is a needed change as well. It just needs to be rounded out, and lowered a bit, to fit in better with the hole. I guess they plan on doing some changes to the Dell hole (number 7) as well, although they didn't say what..

In just looking through the thread, it's actually really interesting to see the changes as the course has developed as well. It appears that they've done some tree reduction as well on a few of the holes, although that could have been from all the "craziness" that happened at the beginning of the summer with the rain/storms. Can't wait to see what changes happen when we all get a chance to play it again next year..

#1 - 655/624/574/549/404/404 (par 5; hcp 5)

EH1.jpg

EH1_apr.jpg

#2 - 360/351/333/314/221/211 (par 4; hcp 15)

EH2.jpg

EH2_apr.jpg

#3 - 535/501/451/422/314/305 (par 4; hcp 7)

EH3.jpg

EH3_bk.jpg

#4 - 417/412/372/357/263/258 (par 4; hcp 13)

EH4.jpg

EH4_apr.jpg

#5 - 516/503/443/366/322/319 (par 4; hcp 3)

EH5.jpg

EH5_apr.jpg

#6 - 242/236/188/172/122/97 (par 3; hcp 11)

EH6.jpg

#7 - 223/201/184/165/149/136 (par 3; hcp 17) **hit it at the white rock**

EH7.jpg

#8 - 535/482/472/381/338/261 (par 4; hcp 9)

EH8.jpg

EH8_apr.jpg

#9 - 521/496/450/421/367/205 (par 4; hcp 1)

EH9_apr.jpg

bye-hole - 164/164/157/151/141/137 (par 3)

EH_bi.jpg

#10 - 672/652/624/597/572/410 (par 5; hcp 2)

EH10.jpg

EH10_apr.jpg

#11 - 472/414/315/310/248/245 (par 4; hcp 16)

EH11.jpg

#12 - 509/468/432/388/318/3112 (par 4; hcp 8)

EH12.jpg

EH12_apr.jpg

EH12_bk.jpg

#13 - 221/216/193/170/151/94 (par3; hcp 18)

EH13.jpg

#14 - 650/615/588/505/469/334/312 (par 5; hcp 10)

EH14.jpg

EH14_apr.jpg

EH14_bk.jpg

#15 - 372/360/345/338/253/249 (par 4; hcp 12)

EH15.jpg

#16 - 185/181/172/155/141/88 (par 3; hcp 14)

EH16.jpg

#17 - 512/481/445/434/322/237 (par 4; hcp 4)

EH17.jpg

EH17_apr.jpg

#18 - 669/632/314/536/495/397 (par 5; hcp 6)

EH18.jpg

EH18_apr.jpg

• 6 months later...

Well, the course isn't scheduled to open until July 1st, to allow the changes to finish growing in, etc. Even so, some information is starting to be released regarding what was actually changed over the off season. Here's an email I received from Erin Hills, in a letter written by Bob Lang. Looks like they changed a lot more then what was initially released. I have a time set-up to play the track in the middle of July. Expect pictures and an updated review thread afterwards.. :clapping:

THE ENHANCEMENTS OF ERIN HILLS

Comments from Owner Bob Lang

In 2008, Erin Hills was awarded the 2011 U.S. Amateur. For some golf courses, this is a potential prelude to a future U.S. Open. That decision has not been made by the USGA.

The USGA did not dictate, they only suggested, what could be enhanced…to make Erin Hills the best that she can be for championship and everyday play.

Our goal is to enhance the golf course…and naturally make it better. The routing is still the original…with the exception that the challenging 19th hole next to the Halfway House is now #9…replacing the Dell Hole in the rotation.

As you leave the clubhouse and approach #1, you will see the size of the putting green has expanded about 50%…toward the Starter Shack.

Hole #1…LONE OAK…The lower fairway was widened, providing more landing areas for the opening hole. The ridge between the two bunkers leading to the upper fairway has been lowered about 8-10’. Three bunkers were created just below the cart path next to the large dune on the right side of the upper fairway…leading to the green.

Hole #2…TURTLEBACK…Two major enhancements have taken place. The left to right ridge just beyond the landing area was saddled…which will allow the golfer, with a good driver, to see the humpback green. While keeping the same shape of the elongated green, the surface area was increased about 50% to the south and to the west toward Hole #3.

Hole #3…TAMARACK…From the tee, you will now see three large bunkers…on the left side of the fairway. The front right side of the green at the approach area was enlarged about eight yards further east from the center of the green. We also expanded the green within one foot of the front bunkers. Two bunkers were added next to the right bunker thirty yards out from the green. Additional bunkers were added to the left front of the green. #3 is now more beautiful, challenging and fun to play. The green was expanded on the south side.

Hole #4…SEA OF FESCUE…The green was moved up into the saddle to the left side of the signature Oak. Additional bunkers were added on both sides of the fairway.

Now the green rests between the signature oak behind the old green and the large dune west of the bunkers. The former left bunkers are now directly in front of the new green running parallel with the fairway. The fairway now undulates over the old green to the new elevated green left of the signature oak. Another series of bunkers runs parallel to the right side of the fairway…just east of the signature oak.

In addition, the fairway now goes around the left side of the original bunkers in front of the green. There are three new bunkers on that side of the fairway at the base of the large dune. All in all, I believe that the new #4 green site will offer the golfer definitely more beauty…far more of a challenge…and hopefully, a lot more fun. A visit to play Erin Hills this year, I suggest, will be worth the trip…just to see and play the newly enhanced #4.

Hole #7 NEW…TEETH OF THE WIND…For everyday play, the new #7 (old #8) will now be a par 5 (which will make Erin Hills a par 73 golf course). The tees will be at the top of the hill offering a panoramic vista of a great part of the country.

Hole #9…DEVIL’S HALO…The same seven existing bunkers encircle the green. The left and right side of the green was expanded out within a foot of the bunkers. This will offer more challenging and fun to play tee shots and hole locations from high above the tee on the hill.

Hole #10…THE BIARRITZ…As you hit your second and third shots toward the green, you will now visually see beautiful and challenging series of bunkers on the right side of the fairway facing into the ridge at the existing bunker complex. On the left side of the green, there is an additional series of bunkers just below the existing bunkers.

As you approach the saddled biarritz green, there is a large bunker at the lower left corner that can affect the very good amateur, any of those who played the championship course and everyday players alike.

The front third and the back third of the Biarritz green have been lowered 12-18”. This change will allow for more hole locations…that will be fair and easier to putt. The valley in the middle remains. Additional bunkers were added along the fairway…and one large bunker guards the front left of the green.

Hole #15…VOLCANO…The only enhancement on the 15th is the lowering of the ridge by twelve inches through the center of the green. The ridge is still there…just lower.

Hole #16…PUNCHBOWL…Bunkers were added to the right and left side of the green.

Hole #17…CATHEDRAL…All of the enhancements took place just beyond the landing area and the signature oak tree to the right side of the fairway.

The large esker, that big mound which comes from the left side front of the green to the middle of the fairway is still there in the same natural shape. It has been shortened naturally. Hit a drive to the center of the fairway, and you will now have a full view of the green.

Hole #18…HOLY HILL…The existing fairway, bunkers and green all remain the same. However, the fairway now widens on the right side up the ridge, which is 35’ below the old #8 tees. The golfer will now be challenged by a series of left side and right side bunkers, as he lands his second shot

Additional bunkers were added to #5, 7, 10 and 14.

All of the above described enhancements simply raise Erin Hills to another level of quality, beauty, challenge and playability. You will also observe a lot more of the “wow factor”. We simply want Erin Hills to be a better golfing experience for you.

With such a short season, opening in July, we encourage you to “call now”. We are extremely excited to share these new enhancements. Please accept the challenge and call 262-670-8600 and make your tee time for July, August, September and October.

Hope to see you soon.

Golf is a Journey,

Bob Lang

• 3 months later...
playing there wednesday July 22... can't wait. are carts "cart path only"? i usually don't ride, but being that i'm driving 6 hours up and 6 hours back the same day i might consider getting a cart.

I am playing there on Saturday, if ramylson doesn't give you an answer before then I will let you know. I know ramylson played there a couple weeks ago.

playing there wednesday July 22... can't wait. are carts "cart path only"? i usually don't ride, but being that i'm driving 6 hours up and 6 hours back the same day i might consider getting a cart.

It was NOT cart path only earlier this week. Could drive anywhere but the obvious places (near tees, greens, or in the fescue).

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town on a family vacation (no golf).

Carts are allowed, and there are no restictions. The only thing that would possibly be different would be associated with where the fescue will be (or was). Now it's all ground under repair as things grow in. I have pictures on the changes, and I'll try to get everything up sometime today to show the changes. As well as my thoughts associated. I will say this though.. it's a completely different course than it was last year.