2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Miura Limited Forged

jmcdonald

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jmcdonald' timestamp='1327584486' post='4155061']
I was on their website and fell in love with their Black Limited Forged set. Any idea on the cost....? The nearest dealer to me is 2 1/2 hrs away. I'm going to try and get in touch with them later today. Those clubs are super sweet. Anyone have them?
[/quote]

def a cool set but at 1600 with s300 i would go for super premium japanese ie..epon, yamaha, yururi. miuras are def great dont get me wrong, but the aforementioned brands are imo, superior.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 8* - Ventus Black TR 5x

3W -Ping G430 LST - Ventus Black TR 7x

5W - TM Qi10 Tour - Ventus Black TR 7x

2i - Srixon ZX MK II Axiom 105X

4-6 T200 Axiom 105s

7-AW T150 Axion 105s

54S SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

60T SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

Bettinardi QB14 LA Golf

• 1 month later...

Miura is just as premium as Epon, Yamaha...Epons are easier to hit though.[quote name='jmcdonald' timestamp='1327584486' post='4155061']
I was on their website and fell in love with their Black Limited Forged set. Any idea on the cost....? The nearest dealer to me is 2 1/2 hrs away. I'm going to try and get in touch with them later today. Those clubs are super sweet. Anyone have them?
[/quote]

Yamaha v202 Tour Diamana x 70
Yamaha V14 diamana stinger
RC 305V 18* diamana X 70
Yonex MB 3-P Nippon ORA
Zodia chiba masterpiece/spb
Epon Zen

[quote name='sidestick' timestamp='1327655416' post='4160799']
You are starting an interesting debate if you are saying that Miura's are a lower level iron than Yururi, Yamaha and Epon. Different yes but definitely not inferior!!!!

I could and have played all of them at various times and the Miura's are the best for the lower handicap golfer (IMHO).

Pete
[/quote]
While I may not be considered a low handicap golfer (7) for what it's worth, I prefer the yonex NanoV tour forged, onoff 247 cb and Fourteen '06 770 (which I believe are all endo forged ) I've gamed over the Miura 201 & 102 sets I have played and sold. It may not have been a fair comparison as I didn't play the same shafts in all of them, but I am happy with the yonex now. The only addition I am considering is af302s or possibly a combo set with 4,5,6 502.

Miura is definitely a super premium brand IMO, but there are lots of jdm super premium brands and at that point it becomes a matter of taste and fit....

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

Just bought a combo set with tournament blades, cb-501s and PP-9003s after a year of research and traveling across the state to various authorized retailers to hit them before buying. I was skeptical but Miura's are fantastic. Here are my words of advice:

1. Go to an authorized fitter that knows these clubs well. Authorized dealers vary greatly in both their knowledge and stock of Miura clubs.
2. Prices vary greatly so do your homework. They can be had for a reasonable price if you are patient and focused on what spec you want.
3. Hit them first! Forums are great but you need to hit them before pulling the trigger. Avoid posts by people with comments like "I've never hit them but my friend has them and [their favorite brand] is sooo much better" or "I hit a Miura 6 iron today on a mat in the golf shop and I would never pay this much for a club." Miura is not the only great clubmaker out there but trust your own opinion rather than others.
4. I'm not a big fan of clubfitters (sorry), but if you're thinking limited forged, tb, baby blades, etc. they will need to fit you properly to fully realize their potential. At this level, if the spec is a little bit off you'll say. . ."what's the big deal?!?!?". . .but if they fit properly and with the right shaft. . .you'll know what all the fuss is about.

Hope this helps. . .

I recently purchased a set 3-PW Limited Edition Black from a fitter with Project X 6.0 shafts that were satinized.
$200/stick seems to be going rate![quote name='jmcdonald' timestamp='1327584486' post='4155061']
[/quote]

TM Tour Issue M6 10.5 GD ADDI 7S
TM The One 13.5 GD Accra TZ
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow 85 S
Onoff 2011 4-Pw Roddio Pentacross I-10 SX flex
Wilson Staff Forged 52, 56 & 60  & Miura KM-350 putter

[quote name='Opiumpipez' timestamp='1327600038' post='4156559']
[/quote]

def a cool set but at 1600 with s300 i would go for super premium japanese ie..epon, yamaha, yururi. miuras are def great dont get me wrong, but the aforementioned brands are imo, superior.
[/quote]

Odd, I went from Epon to Miura ... and while the Epon has all of that high tech goodness in it (701s), I am having similar success with the PP-9003 in Miura. Both are fine clubs.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing a mixed set of PP-9003, CB-501s and Tournament Blades. Skeptical like everyone. . .researched for almost a year. . .traveled far and wide to demo them. . .finally pulled the trigger and they have met and exceeded my lofty expectations.

My advice. . .make no compromises with your spec. . .know the loft, lie, shaft, grip, ferule, etc. that fits our eye and game and demand that the retailer (and Miura) meet your needs. There are a lot of fine JDM clubs out there, but anyone that says that Miuras "aren't worth it," "cost too much," "don't make a difference," and (my favorite) are not made with "magic steel" have either never played them over an entire season (to really get to know the clubs) or chose the wrong models or specs.

Oh. . .one more thing. If you do get them. . .and you start to think after the first month or so. . .they feel good, but not great. . .switch them out and play a round with your old clubs. . .the difference will be staggering.

Just my .02

[quote name='BladesOfSteel' timestamp='1332568433' post='4568550']
Been playing a mixed set of PP-9003, CB-501s and Tournament Blades. Skeptical like everyone. . .researched for almost a year. . .traveled far and wide to demo them. . .finally pulled the trigger and they have met and exceeded my lofty expectations.

My advice. . .make no compromises with your spec. . .know the loft, lie, shaft, grip, ferule, etc. that fits our eye and game and demand that the retailer (and Miura) meet your needs. There are a lot of fine JDM clubs out there, but anyone that says that Miuras "aren't worth it," "cost too much," "don't make a difference," and (my favorite) are not made with "magic steel" have either never played them over an entire season (to really get to know the clubs) or chose the wrong models or specs.

Oh. . .one more thing. If you do get them. . .and you start to think after the first month or so. . .they feel good, but not great. . .switch them out and play a round with your old clubs. . .the difference will be staggering.

Just my .02
[/quote]

[b]This is very close to the "gospel"...[/b]

Although I do not own Miura's my friend has a set of baby blades..and he often lets me hit them, when we play together, just to compare shot trajectories and what not.

I have to say that if you have the game and the "dineros" $$$$ for this type of boutique equipment then go for it.

What these companies lack in club R&D they make up in metal (forging)skills .

I site the personal example of my friends miura 6 iron shot versus my personal Nike forged 6 iron shot on a particular round as evidence:

I play nike forged CCI clubs with S300 stiff shafts, to reduce height and tighten dispersion distance.

My friend plays the baby miura's with KPS FST 90 shafts in regular flex because he just happened upon a set of miura's and they were expensive...:[list][*]my shot goes 150 Y carry, reaches the 40 foot height in the air and drops dead, no roll at all, and is 30 yards left of target.

[i] ...all my vices; haunting me...fighting a highball flight, fight a pull hook..[/i][*]Then I hit my friend's 6 iron: my shot goes 165 carry (I can attribute that to the reg flex versus stiff flex), the ball flight is about 25 feet in the air, and rolls another 5-7 yards, and to add insult to injury it's 7 yards left of target!

[i] ...what the @##@ I say. So I take his club in to my local pro fitter/builder and ask him all the questions[/i].[/list]He takes all the measurements ( flex and frequency, step pattern, loft, lie, etc,etc)...:

[list=1][*]yeah KBS FST 90's lighter shaft, regular flex = longer distance, no problems there I knew that my swing is slowing down for S300's and I'm loosing distance.[*]ball flight; how come ball flight is lower then my s300 's ? especially since KBS have a mid-high kick point?...by builder hits me with a bombshell...it's not just about the shaft keeping the ball flight down...its also about the size of the clubhead. Miura baby blades have such a small sweet spot and are so shallow that they don't put much spin on the ball...thus ball flight stays low, despite soft, mid to high flex shafts!![*]as for the accuracy, well I will say only that since the club doesn't put as much spin of the ball then side spin is also reduced and thus for me; one who imparts tonnes of spin both back and side spin on golf balls the miura baby blades also help....althought god help you if you mishit them...your ball is not going anywhere, and your arms are going to feel the crappy impact.[/list][i]....it's like driving a porche 911 RS versus an audi R8. Both have performance, both have style.[/i]

The R8 goes about doing things safely and powerfully, hell your grandmother could drive an R8 fast and easy. You just get in point and drive.
Now on the other hand a porche 911 RS is a different beast; you need to know the uniqueness of that car to get the performance out of the vehicle. If you accept that and don't fight the car then you will get that performance. In doing so you develop a symbiotic relation with the vehicle

[b]Moral of story?...[/b]dont buy into what big boys are always trying to tell you. A boutique club ( miura, epon, scratch, onoff, etc,etc) can work if you spend the time to tune to club to your swing style (if possible) and if you can live with the idiocycrasies of that club.

[b][u]You just have to decide which kind of person you are...[/u][/b]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Rtallud' timestamp='1333485046' post='4641827']
i would get the regular finish. I know a guy who had the wedges, and the finish fades like heck!
[/quote]

I respectfully disagree. I own a set and have played at least 20 rounds and there is very little fading on them. I also take very good care of them oiling them about once a week.

[quote name='freehb' timestamp='1331263246' post='4466891']
[quote name='sidestick' timestamp='1327655416' post='4160799']
You are starting an interesting debate if you are saying that Miura's are a lower level iron than Yururi, Yamaha and Epon. Different yes but definitely not inferior!!!!

I could and have played all of them at various times and the Miura's are the best for the lower handicap golfer (IMHO).

Pete
[/quote]
While I may not be considered a low handicap golfer (7) for what it's worth, I prefer the yonex NanoV tour forged, onoff 247 cb and Fourteen '06 770 (which I believe are all endo forged ) I've gamed over the Miura 201 & 102 sets I have played and sold. It may not have been a fair comparison as I didn't play the same shafts in all of them, but I am happy with the yonex now. The only addition I am considering is af302s or possibly a combo set with 4,5,6 502.

Miura is definitely a super premium brand IMO, but there are lots of jdm super premium brands and at that point it becomes a matter of taste and fit....
[/quote]

Onoff 247 cbs are Muira forged, 200 sets made.

Titleist TSR2 9 Fujikura Ventus Blue
Srixon ZX mkll 15 Ventus Red

Taylormade Sim2 Max 19 GD
Srixon ZX 5 MKII 4-AW Nippon
Vokey SM7 54/10

Vokey SM9 59/5

Scotty tri sole Newport 2 ct

Titleist ProV1

[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...

I got my first set of miura's about 4 years ago and have played about 400 rounds with them. No fading or anything like that. A few minor nicks where I've hit unseen gravel or whatever. I went from an 18 to single digit with them. Got the blades for 7 thru wedge and the 4-6 irons were 201's. Wish I had gotten blades for the rest in retrospect. I spent a lot of time during the fitting. We tried everything and at the last minute I suggested the blades and the numbers for them were off the chart better - way way better. At 63 at the time, I totally didn't expect to be hitting blades. But they just explode off the ball like no other iron I've ever played or tried. Yes, mishits are bad but unless it's a super terrible mishit, its much more forgiving than I really expected.

All were fitted with Mitsubishi Rombex 85 gram shafts softstep stiff.

Now a few years later, I'm wonder if I should be replacing the shafts with regular flex of somekind and maybe some lighter ones. But I'm still hitting them well with reasonable distance (8 iron = 150).

The clubs wear like iron. I'm not 100% convinced that the price I paid was worth it, but they are seriously better than many others that I've tried before and since, no question about it.

I am currently waiting on custom LH blades and wedges! I been playing Miuras for 3 years and I do not see myself playing anything else anytime soon.

Driver: Cobra F9 8* KBS TD 70 Cat 4

Fairway: TM M6 18* KBS TD 80 Cat 4

Hybrid: Nike VR Pro 24* KBS 105S Proto

Irons: Wilson Blades 5-PW KBS Tour 120

Wedges: Wilson ZM 52* 56* Hi Toe 60*

Putter: Ping PLD Anser Matte Black 

Golf Ball: Maxfli Tour X or Wilson Staff 

• 3 weeks later...

i got my miura baby blades in myrtle beach at Dr Golf and he charged me $95 a club. best decision i have ever made. the clubs look sweet at address and are by far the easiest clubs to hit. the size makes you concentrate harder and swing within yourself.

[/quote]