GolfWRX Exclusive: TaylorMade ATV wedge NEW finish

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Fornesto' timestamp='1327982191' post='4182637']
how does the wedge i have now limit me from playing "a variety of shots" in a way that this club will not? sounds like hypewash to me.
[/quote]

Thinking the same thing, but further how can you claim that one wedge with no bounce options and only 1 grind option will work for every player off every lie?? TM dropped the ball on this one I think, but hey they are a driver company after all.

Sounds like there is going to be a lot of grinding done on the tour van for the tour players.
Also why did they make them out of stainless steel? Is there a plating over the stainless or is it just polished? Hopefully polished or they will be a very hard feeling wedge.

ForTourUseOnly's WITB

Titleist TSR3 9 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60 TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80 TX

Titleist TSR1 20 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro White 100 HY TX

Titleist T200U 2i - 19° w/ Mitsubishi Chemical MMT UT Utility Iron 105 TX

Titleist T150 4i, T100 5i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 47F, 51.5F, 56S, 60.05T w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Timeless 2.5 SSS Tourtype Prototype

[quote name='MattTitleist' timestamp='1328064749' post='4188991']
[quote name='Fornesto' timestamp='1327982191' post='4182637']
how does the wedge i have now limit me from playing "a variety of shots" in a way that this club will not? sounds like hypewash to me.
[/quote]

Thinking the same thing, but further how can you claim that one wedge with no bounce options and only 1 grind option will work for every player off every lie?? TM dropped the ball on this one I think, but hey they are a driver company after all.

Sounds like there is going to be a lot of grinding done on the tour van for the tour players.
Also why did they make them out of stainless steel? Is there a plating over the stainless or is it just polished? Hopefully polished or they will be a very hard feeling wedge.
[/quote]
It is amazing to me how many people here think they are smarter than the number 1 company in world sales of golfclubs. Especially coming off a monster year in club sales history during a down year for the industry. I seem to remember countless people here criticizing the white heads and predicting doom of such. How did that go?
Of course what would one expect from someone with a tag line that includes Titleist in it when talking about TM.

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

[quote name='dunn' timestamp='1327633618' post='4159681']
TM is junk IMO, just had a whole bag and everything felt " cheap".......even looks cheap after you hit them..... Sorry doubt I will ever buy TM again, they are great at marketing though I will give em that

Burner SF 2.0 woods
TM MC IRONS
x-ft wedge
I am sure tour guys get handmade to spec clubs......

But really felt cheap, tinny, and overall didn't get the feeling of a solid built product
[/quote]

I have to agree - all this new Rocketballz stuff, this tacky ATV wedge, etc., is a bit like "pimp my ride"

As a previous owner of some quality TM gear (set of TP smokes and a Superquad TP - both were seriously good and cool clubs) I have lost faith with TM and will stick to Titleist and Mizuno (my first loves) for the remainder of my golfing days

The TM machine will roll on however bringing bling to the masses.....Yawn!

[quote name='jgpl' timestamp='1328105380' post='4190823']
[quote name='dunn' timestamp='1327633618' post='4159681']
TM is junk IMO, just had a whole bag and everything felt " cheap".......even looks cheap after you hit them..... Sorry doubt I will ever buy TM again, they are great at marketing though I will give em that

Burner SF 2.0 woods
TM MC IRONS
x-ft wedge
I am sure tour guys get handmade to spec clubs......

But really felt cheap, tinny, and overall didn't get the feeling of a solid built product
[/quote]

I have to agree - all this new Rocketballz stuff, this tacky ATV wedge, etc., is a bit like "pimp my ride"

As a previous owner of some quality TM gear (set of TP smokes and a Superquad TP - both were seriously good and cool clubs) I have lost faith with TM and will stick to Titleist and Mizuno (my first loves) for the remainder of my golfing days

The TM machine will roll on however bringing bling to the masses.....Yawn!
[/quote]
I can't see why a person would call this wedge tacky.... I get it if you don't like the white woods, or believe in inverted cones, but this wedge sets up great. I really like the satin face, and thought it performed well...I actually think they are a big improvement over the XFT wedges, but each to their own...
Zach

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

For those who have hit these: how do they feel as far as softness? ...And how is the spin on fuller wedge shots?

Callaway Triple Diamond LS 9* | Diamana D Limited 60tx

Titleist TSi3 15* | Ventus TR 7x

Titleist TSi3 18* | Ventus TR 8x
Srixon ZX7 4-p | DG x100
Vokey SM8 50|54|58 - DG x100
Scotty Newport 2
TP5x 

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1327869399' post='4173971']
[quote name='MCoz' timestamp='1327829925' post='4171513']
[b]Initial plan is to sell the Chrome version only[/b] (I confrimed that with a high level exec this week). I told them that they could send me the original finish earlier, it didn't matter to me. I am more about playing it than looking at the back of it in my bag.
[/quote]

I hope this isn't the case. There are a LOT of people that would prefer the duller satin finish, myself included.
[/quote]

The face, neck and everything you see from address is Satin. Only the back is chrome :)

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1328378026' post='4212601']
What pros are bagging these wedges? Anyone know? I'm really intrigued about this idea actually...
[/quote]
I believe DJ has one in play.

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

DJ was photo'd hitting cleveland 588 with a white KBS shaft in a thread here yesterday.

That doesn't mean he won't have this in the bag during play, but obviously he is still hunting for something else.

I really do not like the look of these, no matter the finish.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1328717956' post='4237893']
DJ was photo'd hitting cleveland 588 with a white KBS shaft in a thread here yesterday.

That doesn't mean he won't have this in the bag during play, but obviously he is still hunting for something else.

[/quote]

He's had the 56 ATV in the bag for the past few weeks.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

[/quote]

The photo was taken when he was trying the new KBS pearl white tour shaft. Guys from KBS put the shafts in some different heads. Black head and white shaft actually looked pretty cool to me....

Taylormade M5 Tour 9* AD-VR 6
Callaway Steelhead XR 16* Ahina 60X
Tour Edge EXS220 18* Ventus
Adams MB2 RAW 5-PW Smoke KBS Tour 120
MD4 Raw 50/58/62 
Piretti Cortino 2

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1328749513' post='4241471']

[/quote]

He's had the 56 ATV in the bag for the past few weeks.
[/quote]

You are absolutely correct.

MD4 Raw 50/58/62 
Piretti Cortino 2

[quote name='qwertyu' timestamp='1328830074' post='4247985']
I dont understand why everyone is complaining about the looks. You dont see it at address!
[/quote]

#1....
My guess is the complaints are from TMAG haters...
I can tell you, if anybody tries this wedge around the green from different lies, these will get a lot of consideration from the better player with good short game skills. I have had the opportunity to work with this wege for 5-6 weeks now. It is as good as any vokeys I have played. Very crisp, coming off the face and wide array of shots from 1 club.... Im actually thinking of killing my 50-54-58 current setup and going with 50-55 or 56 and freeing up a spot for another club....Should be fun

MD4 Raw 50/58/62 
Piretti Cortino 2

• 2 months later...

A later post for this thread. I am looking forward to trying out this wedge. Very interesting idea and what might be a really good attempt by TaylorMade to make a sole as versatile as possible. Sounds like some pretty good golfers have tried this out and are impressed with it too. Hopefully will be able to test it out pretty soon.

[quote name='lewisgl' timestamp='1334543828' post='4729036']
A later post for this thread. I am looking forward to trying out this wedge. Very interesting idea and what might be a really good attempt by TaylorMade to make a sole as versatile as possible. Sounds like some pretty good golfers have tried this out and are impressed with it too. Hopefully will be able to test it out pretty soon.
[/quote]

I love mine thus far. They look and feel great. I cannot wait to get some course time under my belt very soon.

I am still patiently waiting for mine....

waiting to hit one in a store...hopefully the GG close to me finally gets theirs so I can demo it. If everything is good, I'll be picking up a 54* and possibly a 60 or 62. Cant wait to try them out!

Testing: Sim2 8*, Mizuno ST-G 220

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Cleveland Mashie 15.5*

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI/Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Three

[quote name='ionakana511' timestamp='1334589847' post='4731164']
waiting to hit one in a store...hopefully the GG close to me finally gets theirs so I can demo it. If everything is good, I'll be picking up a 54* and possibly a 60 or 62. Cant wait to try them out!
[/quote]

I think you will be surprised how good these look in person. Very clean when addressing the ball and you can tell how versatile the sole is by just grounding the club in various ways.

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1334592417' post='4731452']
[quote name='ionakana511' timestamp='1334589847' post='4731164']
[/quote]

I think you will be surprised how good these look in person. Very clean when addressing the ball and you can tell how versatile the sole is by just grounding the club in various ways.
[/quote]

Im hearing the same from a lot of other people/workers who have hit the wedge. They said it may look thicker than usual especially if you're used to vokeys and more traditional wedge shapes, but they said it performs real well. I would love a wedge that can handle both tight lies and very fluffy/light sand shots. Are they using KBS hi-revs as the stock shafts?

Testing: Sim2 8*, Mizuno ST-G 220

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Cleveland Mashie 15.5*

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI/Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Three

Does anybody else see the two stripes on other brands besides TM?

Pure Grips - two stripes

Scotty - two stripes

Dodge Charger - two stripes

Just a thought....I think the old finish works better over time. Too bad the XFT never caught on....I never saw the faces for sale anywhere...yet they kept advertising them as being available.

welcomeani.gif

Release date is 5/1. Redesigned finish to keep "some people" from thinking it looks cheap....All in all, the performance is there...You can paint mine purple and put Barney on the face. With the feel and spin it has, its a winner....

MD4 Raw 50/58/62 
Piretti Cortino 2