2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Nike Unitized Putters

the_krulatz

Who's had the opportunity to putt with one???
I've always been the type of putter who prefers a very soft feel when the ball comes off the putter face, so traditionally, I've putted with a Cameron putter ever since I took up golf as a serious endeavor. Latest advancements in technology coming from Nike intrigue me and I'm quite interested in getting my hands on one of these unitized putters to see how different the feel maybe, that being softer. But before doing so, I am hoping to hear from fellow wrx'ers who've had the opportunity to roll the latest in putter technology from Nike. Any and all comments are greatly appreciated, and I'm hoping to hear primarily about two models imparticular, those being the Retro & Tiempo. Also, how would you rate the milling on these putters in comparison to the classic marks that a Cameron would possess?

[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b][color=#000000]Titleist TS3 10.5[/color][color=#a9a9a9] Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 9.2 x-flex[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist TS3 13.5[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Aldila NV 95 x-flex[/color]--[color=#000000]-Titleist TS3 18.0[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Fujikura Fit-On Pro 95 x-flex[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist 718 AP2 #3[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Titleist 718 AP2 #5-#9[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]--[color=#000000]-Vokey SM7 46.10 F Grind[/color][color=#a9a9a9] Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 52.12 F Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 56.10 S Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 60.04 L Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Select Newport II[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Tour Newport 2.5 350g.[/color] [color=#000000]welded neck[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Tour Rat Concept 2.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist ProV1x[/color][/b][/font][/size]

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we have the Tiempo and Techno at my store. putted a bit with the Tiempo on our artifical indoor putting green today.

used a 33" and it felt at least 350g if not more...probably around 355-60.

head appears larger than a NP2 or other anser-style putters, not heel to toe wise but more front to back width (probably because it's heavier).

both putters are very angular - sharp edges all over the place (i prefer the more rounded NP look compared to the Tiempo).

decent feel and feedback - soft but not too much like the original white hot or a ping g5i. felt most like my two gauge putters but not quite as good. no increased sensitivity on off-center hits IMO though.

puts a good roll on the ball and the milling is nice...not quite as nice as a SC custom mill job. milling reminds me most of a White Steel mill job.

finish is decent - like an anodized black finish where the shaft, hosel and head are all the same.

overall, very decent putter but not worth the 250 bones they're asking. would rather get a Miz Bettinardi (better feedback and overall feel) or a Yes C-groove putter - all of which i've tried out in my store - for that price level at a retail store.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

if you want soft, you need to try the new odyssey xg line.

i like what i hear about the heavy heads, but at least in pictures, non of them appeal to me, yet......

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

I had a round with a Retro (Paul Casey's weapon of choice!) & it was fantastic, shot 66 better ball & i had 5 birdies myself all 5 of these i holed great putts. From distance i was lagging the ball up to hole very well, it improved my feel for this & i didn't even have a sniff of a 3 putt.

I will however have a Tiempo in the bag as soon as poss, as love the look of this modern classic!

Very well made, & IMO not a bad price for the work that goes in.... not a cheap process to lazer weld head to shaft, smooth & coat.

just recently got my Tiempo this week. I have putted indoors on my mat but have not made it to the course yet. I love the grip and I think the putter looks very "sexy" with the unitized shaft. My initial thoughts are much of what have been said in other threads. The putter feels great and puts a nice roll on the ball. The one thing that jumped out to me is the putter is heavy as hell. I think they are a little over priced but Nike is going in the right direction to a premium putter. If not a Nike ho I probably would have waited to find one on eBay at a better price but just coudn't wait! I am interested to see how my distance controll will be one longer putts (my mat is like 7 foot). So far indoors I am pleased with the putter but would even more pleased if it was 150 bucks. Hopefully I will make it to the course this weekend and can give a better review then.

Tried Tiempo today at a local golf shop. At a glance, Nike has contructed this putter very well. Ball rolled smoothly & straight off the slightly milled face, but it felt a little too light for my taste. Would I buy it? Probably not, due to the $200+ price tag. If it ever comes down to $175, it'll probably find a place in my putter collection.

We got our first shipment of Unitizeds in on friday morning. I grabbed a Tiempo and a Retro for my own collection. I used the Retro today for my round and came away amazed by it. It's an awesome feeling putter. The build-quality is also extremely good.

I expect alot of people to like these.

BTW, we sold all 5 sets of CCi irons we got in on friday morning by saturday evening. (We got 6 sets in, but I took one for myself of course!)

I have a set of CCI's on the way with BG x1's in them from DD's. My question is what do you think of them so far? Any chance I will be impressed enough to shine up my Split Cavity Protos and stick them in the corner?

Thanks

CP

We got our first shipment of Unitizeds in on friday morning. I grabbed a Tiempo and a Retro for my own collection. I used the Retro today for my round and came away amazed by it. It's an awesome feeling putter. The build-quality is also extremely good.

BTW, we sold all 5 sets of CCi irons we got in on friday morning by saturday evening. (We got 6 sets in, but I took one for myself of course!)

I have a set of CCI's on the way with BG x1's in them from DD's. My question is what do you think of them so far? Any chance I will be impressed enough to shine up my Split Cavity Protos and stick them in the corner?

Thanks

CP

You might want to pose this question in the General Retail section and not the putter forum. :)

Thanks

CP

You might want to pose this question in the General Retail section and not the putter forum. :)

Sorry, was reading about the Unitized and saw the comment on the CCI's. BTW, I played today with my Tiempo for the first time and really liked it today. Felt great and had much better distance control. I still think the price is a little high but Nike has a solid putter that looks sweet IMO.

CP

i tried the newport 2 style today,

first off, i find the headweight really good, seems perfect for those who think 330 gram is maybe sligthly too light..

seems well balanced, and the unitized shaft helps to feel wehre the ball contacted on the face better..

only flaw tho, is that the ball seem to just FLY off the face, with old PING PUTTER pingy sound...or like a beach style putter...

but definitely a sweet putter tho,

would get one if it wasn't for price...$330 canadian dollars..

I've been on Nike staff for a couple of years now, love the equipment and the changes

they have made in the years. My agreement says that I must play with Nike equipment

in tournaments and special events. With that I could not bring myself to putt with any

existing putter in the line. My rep said that I could keep playing with my Scotty Laguna

(with alot of lead tape on the bottom 71*/65*flat) which I have had in my bag for along time.

With that being said, the new Unitized putters are GREAT. I now have the NEW RETRO

in my bag. I love the feel of this putter. I have not had to add any weight to it. I did

have it bent to my specs (outside agency) Nike will not custom the new putters yet.

The 1st time I put the Retro in play I shot 67 with pure confidence in the putter.

I felt that I could make anything and everything I looked at.

Again this is JMO!!!!!!!

I am a Nike ho as my signature would prove; therefore, I gave this putter (Tiempo) a try while at a local shop today. It has great feel and control. At first glance, it was a little different looking at the black/grey colored shaft. There was only one Tiempo to choose from and it appeared the clubface was closed significantly. I'm not sure if it was bent out of whack or this was the normal appearance. I'd have to look at another one to make sure. I only had about 7 feet to putt and the indoor turf was brand spanking new, so it was difficult to demo the club to its true potential. I compared it to the same putter in my bag (a Ping Anser G5) at the same time and it appeared that I got more distance with less effort. To be expected comparing it to an insert putter. I would buy one, but like mentioned in previous posts, I'm not willing to spend $250 on this putter. If it was $50-$75 cheaper, I'd buy it. For now I'll stick to my Ping.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

Well, less than 24 hours after my last post on this putter I pulled the trigger one one. I was browsing ebay and noticed these are starting to show up on ebay for ok prices, especially for a new putter. I bought a 35" Tiempo for $219.50 total including shipping, which was kind of high at $17 for 1 club. I will post my thoughts after I receive and play a couple rounds with it. :(

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

I was thinking of getting one, but wanted to know what the headweights were for them since I like a heavier head. Here is the response I got:

The grip that will be offered on these putters will be an

Advanced Integration Pistol Grip. Please visit

www.winngrip.com for more information on this technology.

Unfortunately, we do not have the gram weighting of this grip. As for

the head weight of the club, this would be considered

proprietary information and is NOT available to the public.

Oh well. If anyone does know the weighting, can you let me know. I just don't like 330 gram heads.

-CHRIS-

Just got this reply from Nike regarding my headweight question...........

Dear Reid,

Thanks for contacting Nike regarding the Unitized Putter.

Nike does not advertise the head weights on clubs. However, the Unitized Putter is a true "unitized" design making the head weight as a separate entity non dimensional.

Once again, thanks for contacting Nike. Let us know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

#####

Nike Golf

if Nike is indeed going after the high-end putter market ala Mills, Scotty, Bettinari, etc. I find it ironic that they won't disclose headweights. no discerning putter freak would commit $250 without knowing the headweight. stupid move on nike's part IMHO.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

I just added this to my bag. I can't wait to give it a try. Too bad I have to work all week.

Just got this reply from Nike regarding my headweight question...........

Dear Reid,

Thanks for contacting Nike regarding the Unitized Putter.

Nike does not advertise the head weights on clubs. However, the Unitized Putter is a true "unitized" design making the head weight as a separate entity non dimensional.

Once again, thanks for contacting Nike. Let us know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

#####

Nike Golf

That is "kinda sorta right".... :( My "educated guess" would be in the 350 - 360 range. :(