2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

GolfLogix vs GolfShot vs Skycaddie

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a golflogix and it doesnt compare at all to the Skycaddie. Hands down a Skycaddie is better then both devices.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

[quote name='sheppy335' timestamp='1330631487' post='4412815']
Had a golflogix and it doesnt compare at all to the Skycaddie. Hands down a Skycaddie is better then both devices.
[/quote]

In my experience, I think the GPS apps are pretty darn close to SkyCaddie. When my foursome plays I have GolfShot on my phone and the other cart has a SkyCaddie. We have calibrated on numerous shots and they are within 2 - 4 yards of each other. Maybe for some people that is too big of a discrepancy, but whose to say, without an independent measurement, the SkyCaddie isn't the one that is off? So, for me, it would be hard to advise paying the money for a SkyCaddie if you have an iPhone. The only distinct difference I see is that my iPhone's battery will not last for 2 rounds of golf in a day without having to recharge, whereas a SkyCaddie will easily last that long. If I'm playing 36, I bring along a battery powered phone charger (Duracell, ~$30) and charge while playing.

I use golfshot and love it. Accurate, aerial views, and tracks FIR, % missed short, long, left, right, GIR, putts, putts in regulation, sand saves, scramble %, distance tracking...etc. For $29 I'm very pleased. I use it on my iPad because the screen is so large. Every time I play with a new person there impressed with it.

I had a really good experience using Golflogix on my Blackberry for about 2 years. About 5 months ago a got a new BB Bold 9930 with OS7 and Golflogix still does not work with this OS. Im pissed because I had paid for another years subscription prior to getting the new phone. As far as the performance of Golflogix...its been within 5 yards..typically 3..of other GPS laser systems others have had when I play.

[quote name='ntagger' timestamp='1331058492' post='4448787']
Can anyone with a skycaddie chime in on how the battery life and screen brightness compare to a smartphone? I'm using golfshot on the a galaxy nexus (android) and in most cases battery is no issue, but there's been times when i'm running real low.
[/quote]

Battery life and screen with the SGX is a non-issue. I can easily get two or more rounds in with a SGX. The battery life on the SGXw I hear is not quite as good as it has more things on it that use more battery. I have never had a problem seeing the SGX screen. In fact I do not wear my glasses when I play and can still read the screen. It has an light sensor that adjusts the back lighting to light conditions. I wish I could say the same for my iPhone.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

I have the SGXW and the screen is never an issue seeing it even in the bright sunlight and wearing polarized glasses. The battery life gets me through 2 rounds on one charge and that is good enough for me. I can't read my iPhone in the bright sunlight as the sun washes out the screen, with or without my sunglasses

Wow sounds like you have a little

[quote name='TripAces' timestamp='1330640835' post='4414079']
[quote name='Hacker#5252' timestamp='1330631581' post='4412831']
[quote name='sheppy335' timestamp='1330631487' post='4412815']
[/quote]

Factoring in the price, would you say Golflogix is still worth getting ?
[/quote]

If you are talking about the GolfLogix Smartphone App, for $20, it is a no brainer.
Unfortunately, my Droid X screen in sunlight is abysmal, and I can't read it.
Once my contract is up next month, my primary Smartphone feature will be readability in sunlight!
Lots of Golf Apps for $20 annually or free that offer features that SkyGolf promised years ago, but never saw the light of day! Just marketing hype and vaproware.
Available now on any Smartphone!
WiFi on the SGX-w was designed to pretend the SGX-w could be used like a SmartPhone on the course for live scoring. No can do!
WiFi cannot be used during play and does nothing you can't do with the cheaper and easier to use SGX without WiFi and with a fully functional Joystick.
Optical Trackpad on the SGX-w is totally useless. You cannot make any selections with it (cannot be pressed) and you have to unlock it to use it and relock it to go back to playing golf with it!
Optical Trackpad also lacks the precision of the SGX joystick and flies all over the screen.
PinSheet is a joke as no golf course in the world is uploading daily pinsheets to SkyGolf!
The Golf Channel commercial for the SGX-w is a complete lie: It says the SGXw can tell you the exact location of the flag! Total BS!
No SkyCaddie can ever tell you the location of the flag! You have to move it to the flag location yourself, by carrying a laser, to move the pin to the right distance!
Did I say how much I love SkyGolf? :)
By a golf app instead for your Smart Phone!
Call any retail golf shop and ask them how many SkyCaddies they have sold and how many they have taken back, if they even stock them any more at all, due to the high return rate!
[/quote]

[size="3"]Wow sounds like there is some animosity built up there against SkyGolf, because that is the only GPS Company you mention. Using a golf APP on the golf course is like putting with a Driver, it just doesn’t work well and you are inaccurate as well. Do you use polar golf balls to play a round of golf? Using a phone App is the same thing, both non-conforming to USGA rules and you cannot use them to establish a handicap or play in any type of USGA tournament with. I bet you probably even use illegal golf clubs too, again not USGA legal. [/size]

[size="3"]I own a SGXw and I would like to say that I never heard anything about being able to live score with the SGXw at any point of any ads I have seen. So IMO not a true statement..[/size]

[size="3"]The optical track pad IMO is easier to use the joystick. My track pad doesn’t fly all over the screen, it works very well, but I also have a very steady hand, so maybe that is the difference. Opinions are like noses most everyone has one..[/size]

[size="3"]Do you know for a fact that no courses are uploading pin sheets? If so how do you know this? Are you an ex-employee or have some inside info? [/size]

[size="3"]The pin location on the SkyCaddie works and no other GPS company is offering it? I have used my in a tournament (Select Shot) where I loaded my own pin sheet and compared numbers to a playing partners Bushnell and guess what 1 yard difference, if you can hit a target within 1 yard of where you are aiming, then maybe you should be playing on a tour and not commenting on here.[/size]

[size="3"]How do you know you are hitting the pin with your laser when using it to measure a pin? Does your laser have auto pin seeker mode that locks on to nothing but the pin? Does it lock to the top of the pin or the bottom of the pin? If you don’t know that could be a yard difference there alone? So if that is the case how do you know? Do you play golf with elevation changes? How do you hit a pin that you can’t see? [/size]

[size="3"]With your comments all at SkyGolf, it sure seems you are either a disgruntle employee or looking to grind your Ax at a company that has helped a lot of golfers out there including me. [/size]

[size="3"]These are my opinions that I have about a product that helps me more every time I play the game of golf. Your opinion is yours, but for every bad opinion there are good ones too. [/size]

[size="3"]I think I will call a few retail shops and ask how many other than SkyCaddie units that have sold that has been returned. Keep using a phone App and maybe one day we will play in a tournament together and I will be playing legal golf with my SkyCaddie and you can be caught playing with your phone app and be DQ’ed. [/size]

[size="3"]I now leave my soap box..[/size]

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1331083410' post='4451643']
[quote name='ntagger' timestamp='1331058492' post='4448787']
Can anyone with a skycaddie chime in on how the battery life and screen brightness compare to a smartphone? I'm using golfshot on the a galaxy nexus (android) and in most cases battery is no issue, but there's been times when i'm running real low.
[/quote]

Battery life and screen with the SGX is a non-issue. I can easily get two or more rounds in with a SGX. The battery life on the SGXw I hear is not quite as good as it has more things on it that use more battery. I have never had a problem seeing the SGX screen. In fact I do not wear my glasses when I play and can still read the screen. It has an light sensor that adjusts the back lighting to light conditions. I wish I could say the same for my iPhone.
[/quote]

[quote name='BirdiesnBogeys' timestamp='1331130535' post='4454531']
I have the SGXW and the screen is never an issue seeing it even in the bright sunlight and wearing polarized glasses. The battery life gets me through 2 rounds on one charge and that is good enough for me. I can't read my iPhone in the bright sunlight as the sun washes out the screen, with or without my sunglasses
[/quote]

That's great info guys, now I just have to justify why I'd need to spend 250 bucks on it as oppose to keep playing with my golfshot app.. which on Android clearly is in need of an update. Lost the last digit on my layup yardages when I upgraded my phone.

Any GPS, whether stand alone or on a phone, is going to have a few yards fudge factor built in. It's just the way they work. I've used Golfshot and Golflogix both. I had them on my blackberry, then went for an Iphone 4. GolfLogix transferred over my membership. Golfshot informed me that their "one time fee" was just for that device, and I had to pay the ENTIRE membership fee again to use it on my Iphone.

In terms of actual accuracy, I find I preferred golflogix's maps. The actual GPS is controlled by the phone, your phone tells the app where you are, and the app compares that to it's map of the course. Golflogix had more points premapped, and I preferred the points they did. for example, if there is a creek across the course, Golflogix would give me "To creek" which was the closest bank, and "Over Creek" which was a few yards past the far bank. Golfshot gives me "Creek", if anything, and it was the dead center of the creek....

In some of my foursomes, I'd play with someone with a skycaddie, and someone with a laser, and when we'd compare, we were both different than the laser but he was measuring to the flag. And the skycaddie always seemed to be dead accurate when standing on a yardage marker, and less accurate when down the fairway a bit. I kinda got the impression they mapped the yardage markers, rather than the actual green.

I'd go for GolfLogix. Best part, of course, is that it's a free download and has a free trial. So try it out before you pay ANY money and see what you think.

As for USGA legal, if a usga handicap is that important to you, and tournament play is that important to you... you really shouldn't be worrying about a gps, knowhatimean?

I have a Golflogix GPS8. Easy to use - gets me all my info, and works on regular AA batteries - so I never have to worry about it dying - I just keep a pack of extra batteries in my trunk. I have a laser range finder also. The GPS is good, +/- 2 yards 99% of the time.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='BirdiesnBogeys' timestamp='1331148343' post='4456513']
I think you just did.. If not getting the information you need, how can you make corect decision on the golf course. Wasted strokes is wasted money.. LOL..
[/quote]

Probably did... LOL. I'll give these golfshot guys a chance to get the app working again, but if that doesn't happen i think i'll have to make the plunge.

So Again after your long winded basing of SkyGolf /SkyCaddie you never answered the most important questions of all... Are you an ex-employee, working for the phone app people, or what? You have a lot of pinned up anger in there for a reason. I am glad you are so opinionated on your decision and you look at things with your mind closed and have a fore gone conclusion that this company owes you information about what has what with numbers and percentages. I know that they have added an icon on their website that tells you if the course has pin locations or not. So maybe that is something you should look at before start you r slander of a product.

You play with your not so smart phone, your non-conforming clubs, balls, phone apps and whatever other NON CONFORMING golf device and gadget you have in your bag, shoot these scores that make you think you are better than you actually are. You can be one of the guys that I will eat for breakfast when you have to step up and play real legal golf game and shoot the 95 you probably deserve to shoot, instead of the mulligan, foot wedge, gimme putt from 6 feet to shoot 82 to feel better about yourself want to be a real golfer that you are.

Have a great day as I go and play legal golf this morning with my SkyCaddie and shoot a legal score that I can be proud of and continue to establish a handicap with..

BnB out..

BnB, I gotta say, I agree with a few things he said. I've been waiting for SkyGolf to have their smartclub technology for ever, if it ever showed up, I might get an SGx for that.

Sounds like a lot of pent up anger on your part. Not everyone is part of the USGA, and even for those that are, smartphones are considered non-conforming because of other things you COULD do with them. I thought golf was about honor, no? You make a lot of assumptions about him as a player based on his statements of preferring to use a smartphone. Almost makes me wonder if YOU'RE an employee of SkyGolf...

Hmm, especially that, now that I look, I see that you've made 35 posts, 33 of them in the GPS / rangefinders, and all seem to be in support of SkyGolf...

I have the GolfShot GPS on my iPhone. It works great. I wish I can afford the SGXw. But the GolfShot will do for now. I still do use the SG Mobile app to track my stats. Plus live scoring. For those of you who have the SGXw, is it really that much better than the SGX?

TITLEIST!...

[quote name='dlopez' timestamp='1332124990' post='4533389']
I have the GolfShot GPS on my iPhone. It works great. I wish I can afford the SGXw. But the GolfShot will do for now. I still do use the SG Mobile app to track my stats. Plus live scoring. For those of you who have the SGXw, is it really that much better than the SGX?
[/quote]

The SGXw is better than the SGX. The optical trackpad is much better than the joystick on the SGX, smoother and easier to control. The Wifi makes the SGXw more convenient to use. I can Sync to load my scores and stats to ClubSG and download the courses I need without connecting to my computer. Other than program updates or to remove courses from the SGXw, most functions can be done without connecting to a computer.. There is also Rangevue and Pinpoint but after just one round, I have not used them enough to comment on those.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

For those interested in Golflogix for Blackberry OS7 devices, I received some good news today. It looks like [url="http://golflogix.com/default.aspx"]Golflogix[/url] has updated the app along with the website. They still dont have it available for BB OS7 devices. However, there is some good news on this front. I tweeted them this morning asking why all the new updates and still no support for BB OS7 devices. This was the response I received...."Coming soon. Our developers are coding furiously as we speek". So it looks like there may be something soon. I hope so!

Wow Trip, I can't help feel your bitterness towards Skygolf but you make very strong arguments. The one thing I like about this forum is the signal to noise ratio is pretty high. Other than idiots starting new threads asking the same old questions because they are too lazy to look, the mods do a great job.

Getting back on point, I am a fan of Golflogix, they update and watch reviews and react to feedback. Heck, you may get two updates within a week. They don't rest on their laurels. I have about 8 golf apps on my phone some have not been updated in years. Others, not quite as bad, for example Golfshot updated to OS 4, then nothing for almost a year. You educated me on Skygolf, it seems hypocritical of them to sell a product with the promise of providing a function that they can't do unless they break the law. Moreover, when GPS was not allowed they still advertized and sold their GPS units even though it was not sanctioned and conforming. NOW, they scream foul because golf apps are non conforming in certain cases and are a fraction of the cost. It makes you wonder.

All I can say is this, if people want an app for golf and they want to improve their game, do due diligence. I can list the pro's and cons of various apps but start with the link at the bottom. A buddy of mine called Golflogix the Swiss Army Knife of all golf apps, it does everything. It's the Bentley of golf apps, some people wont spend the money because they want to have the Chevy Corsica of golf apps, that's their choice and I respect it. Each to their own.

For anyone reading this thread and you want to research where to start this tells you at least what a good app can do and I would suggest this should be the baseline:www.golflogix.com/ViewVideos.aspx

The above reply was made to a poster who posted today. In the time I started the reply and I a posted a response, the aforementioned post was deleted. Any ideas? Big brother watching? He offended some big powerful company? He could have deleted it himself I guess but that does not make sense. Honest people would like to know. Take it to PM if you want.

[quote name='Tyrone Tyger' timestamp='1331654176' post='4499031']
BnB, I gotta say, I agree with a few things he said. I've been waiting for SkyGolf to have their smartclub technology for ever .........

........... now that I look, I see that you've made 35 posts, 33 of them in the GPS / rangefinders, and [b]all seem to be in support of SkyGolf...[/b]
[/quote]

Plus 1 here.

You asked if he (TripAces) was affiliated with SkyGolf, but from where I sit, [b]YOU[/b] do seem to be a troll for SkyGolf, and now that Tyrone put it all together, your posts should just be taken as more SkyGolf advertising.

Peace out.

I've used GolfShot for over a year now and don't have any complaints. Their recent update really enhanced the GPS as well. I've compared it to range finders and higher end GPS devices and it's only off by a few yards every so often. I'm not a pro so I don't need +/- 1 yard accuracy. It's nice to be able to get a good idea of where you're standing.

Also, when on the map view, you can find the yardage to any place on that hole. If you want to know the distance to the clear the right edge of the greenside bunker, you can do that. Distance to the tree on the edge of the dogleg right, you got it.

The stat tracking is great too. I really love the app and for a one time fee of 30 bucks, it's hard to beat that value.