New England Course Bucket List for 2012

dartboss04

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='geoangus' timestamp='1330776277' post='4424917']
[quote name='MA golfer23' timestamp='1330705541' post='4419153']
For anyone who wants to head to Crumpin Fox this year send me a message. I'm going to be a member there and will likely be playing pretty much everyday.
[/quote]

Great offer!!!

I haven't played Crumpin Fox, but I heard its very nice but much tighter than Hopyard. Any truth to what I heard that when Fox Hopyard and Crumpin Fox hold their sister course tournament that the Crumpin guys usually do very well?
[/quote]

I'm not sure about that as this will be my first year being a member there, but hopefully I will have the opportunity to play in that tournament and can report back with a victory haha.

I've only played Crumpin Fox a few times to this point, but it is a great course and the deal I will be getting on a membership can't be beaten as I'm still considered a junior member.

I'll be open all year to play with any fellow WRX members so feel free to contact me and we can set something up. Maybe even get a WRX Tournament up there in the summer if we can get enough interest.

[quote name='kmorr2586' timestamp='1330778796' post='4424981']
Correct me if I am wrong, but last time I checked NY wasn't in New England...
[/quote]

Picky, picky.:-) The course sits on property that is on the borderline with CT. On three holes you can hook a shot into CT. The original poster is from CT so the suggestion was apropos IMO

[quote name='makgolfn' timestamp='1330779591' post='4425027']
Highland Links in Truro is great golf experience. Not many public courses can give you links golf on the ocean. You have to try it at least once. I did and now I play it every time I get back to New England.
[/quote]

I played Highland once when I was in middle school and haven't been back even though we visit the cape a few times a year. I think I may have to get back there when I can actually remember it.

[u]Central MA - All these courses are literally within 20 miles of each other:

[/u][b]Blackstone National (in Sutton)[/b] - Great layout, improved conditions from the 2010 drought - TOUGH WALK
[b]Blissful Meadows (in Uxbridge)[/b] - Nice conditions, great staff, tail of two nines; - WALKABLE
[b]Cyprian Keyes(in Boylston)[/b] - Target golf with very good conditions - TOUGH WALK
[b]Green Hill (in Worcester)[/b] - Muni in Worcester that hosts the annual Walter Cosgrove (brining in some of the top golfers in the state; some very interesting and tough greens (if the speeds are up. Play early (before 8 on weekends for a quicker round) - WALKABLE
[b]Highfields (in Grafton)[/b] - Nice conditions, Very interesting layout with a lot of O.B. (a lot of houses bordering course). - 3 reachable Par 5's, which is nice. WALKABLE
[b]Kettle Brook (in Paxton)[/b] - Sister course to Wachusett; Nice conditions; wide fairways and big greens. - WALKABLE
[b]Shining Rock (in Northbridge)[/b] Another Target Golf Couse, 2 years old, type of course you come away saying I will score much better the second time around (course can/"WILL" beat you up the first time around. - UN-WALKABLE
[b]Wachusett (In West Boylston)[/b] - Great conditions; Donald Ross Design (need I say more) - WALKABLE

[u]Plymouth / Cape Cod (play on the Cape Courses can be very slow)
[/u][b]Waverly Oaks (in Plymouth)[/b] (other side of RTE 3) 10 minutes from the Pinehills courses - Same designer as Kettle Brook - (Brian Silva) - wide fairwars and big greens; Nice Conditions, interesting layout, Great Staff. - VERY TOUGH WALK; greens fee includes CART
[b]Yarmouth Courses:
Bayberry Hills [/b]- Nice challenging layout with nice conditions, Good staff. - WALKABLE
[b]Bass River[/b] - Older Donald Ross Design. Fun course to play, few holes on or viewing the Bass River. - WALKABLE
[b]Old Barnstable Fairgrounds - [/b]Another nice layout with a nice staff and good conditions. - WALKABLE

• 2 weeks later...

What age does that last too? College? [quote name='MA golfer23' timestamp='1330783821' post='4425229']
[quote name='geoangus' timestamp='1330776277' post='4424917']
[quote name='MA golfer23' timestamp='1330705541' post='4419153']
For anyone who wants to head to Crumpin Fox this year send me a message. I'm going to be a member there and will likely be playing pretty much everyday.
[/quote]

Great offer!!!

I haven't played Crumpin Fox, but I heard its very nice but much tighter than Hopyard. Any truth to what I heard that when Fox Hopyard and Crumpin Fox hold their sister course tournament that the Crumpin guys usually do very well?
[/quote]

I'm not sure about that as this will be my first year being a member there, but hopefully I will have the opportunity to play in that tournament and can report back with a victory haha.

I've only played Crumpin Fox a few times to this point, but it is a great course and the deal I will be getting on a membership can't be beaten as I'm still considered a junior member.

I'll be open all year to play with any fellow WRX members so feel free to contact me and we can set something up. Maybe even get a WRX Tournament up there in the summer if we can get enough interest.
[/quote]

What age does that last too? College?

I'm not exactly positive as the way the website states it is pretty confusing. It says junior (24 years old and under) $575 but then it also has a category for individual membership that's from 21-29. So my best guess is that if you are a student and under 25 then you should get the cheaper price.

I talked to the pro, Mike, at the Western MA golf expo briefly and he said I would pay the cheaper price because I told him I'm a grad student. I'll be able to get some better info next weekend when I go up to the course to talk to him.

But in the meantime..... I'm off to Arizona! partytime2.gif well, thats if I can ever get out of Boston. My flight got cancelled this morning so I have to hang around the airport til 130 and then I have to hope that a miracle occurred and they actually did their job and transferred my clubs onto my new flight.

• 4 weeks later...

Privates

Olde Sandwich
kitansett
Oyster Harbours
Wanamoisett

Would also like to refresh afew of my favourite publics I have not played for a while now I am a member at club...

Red Tail
Waverley oaks
Pinehills (jones)
Ledges

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

I know that you are in CT, but if you like a good challenge, The Ledges in York ME is a nice track to play.

It is one of my favorites.

Also Red Tail is great course if you play it before Memorial Day or After Labor day to avoid the high price that they charge.

The Ranch is also a must play. Absolutely awesome!!!

Crumpin-Fox is really a awesome track and play there at least twice a year.

6a.jpg

# 6 at Crumpin-Fox

Ping G20 TFC 169D Tour Stiff 9.5*
TM Vsteel Proforce V2 Stiff 15*
TM Vsteel Proforce V2 Stiff 18*
TM Tour Preferred MC 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Vokey Spin Milled SM4 50*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey White Hot Pro V-Line

[quote name='MyShortGameSucks' timestamp='1334324931' post='4714062']
Privates

[b]Olde Sandwich
kitansett[/b]
Oyster Harbours
Wanamoisett

Would also like to refresh afew of my favourite publics I have not played for a while now I am a member at club...

Red Tail
Waverley oaks
Pinehills (jones)
Ledges
[/quote]
both are beautiful tracks, hope you can get on

• 1 month later...

[quote name='sabram' timestamp='1330776425' post='4424923']
Crumpin Fox is a nice course. I used to play it on trips up to Hanover.

Shaker Hills and Red Tail are close to each other in MA. Each is worth playing and together make a great 36 hole day.

The Taconic at Williams is a further drive but is a great course if you can get on.

Closer to home, try to get on the Yale Course. It is one of the best in New England.

+1 for Wintonbury Hills it has a bunch of good holes
[/quote]

If you had a choice, would you play Crumpin Fox or Yale? I've got a day off next week and want to take advantage of the expected great weather. Yale is much closer to me but Crumpin is a bit cheaper. That said I don't mind driving further or paying more if it's truly worth it.

I haven't been to Stowe Acres North Course in a few years. It used to be walking only and a pretty good track. Blissful Meadows (Silva Cornish design... don't let the name scare you), Blackstone National, Shining Rock and Highfields are all worth a visit.

Acushnet River Valley is a great muni parklands and links feels to the front and back. Atlantic CC in Plymouth is another Cornish Silva course that is very nice.

Private Courses are:

Kittansett
Eastward Ho!
Charles River
Salem CC
Old Sandwich
Boston Golf Club