2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Going to Italy for 2 weeks

Olson12

need help
So after 2 tours in Afghanistan and dealing with all the stress of being a corpsman in the Navy my brother is finally going to "see the world" like the Navy promises. He is going to be stationed in Italy for 2 years starting in July of this year. I am already looking forward to going to see him over there. But I will need to do something while he is working at the hospital.

So here is my question. What style golf does Italy have to offer? Would I be better off traveling to somewhere else to play good golf? I would love to make it to some of the famous courses in Europe. Would it be realistic to want to travel to St. Andrews for a few days? It says I could Drive there but that doesnt seem Fun. I could Fly into somewhere Like Ireland/UK first and then when I'm done golfing fly into Italy. Which I am willing to do because I don't think this is something I will ever be able to do again in my life.

My brother does not golf that is why I will be going for 2-3 weeks so I can spend a week or so with my brother and the rest playing some of the best golf courses in the world. Thanks for all of your help.

By the way. Money wont be a problem since I will have a year to save up for it. Also Is there a better time of the year to travel there?

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not played there, so I can't give advice on specific courses. What I can pass along is what was told to me recently. At a local course last December, I showed up as a single on a cold morning. The course is usually totally empty early, but there was one guy in front of me. I caught him quickly, and we played together. He was from Norway, and here because he was staying in a rented condo on the course while visiting his daughter in school nearby (Miami U, OH). He traveled extensively for business, and always takes his clubs. The list of countries where he's played might exceed the total of all of the courses I've played! Anyway, to get specific he particularly liked a few Italian courses. Good value and great courses. He particularly liked some place near Venice, and a resort near the Austrian border. Most of the play is by foreigners, and the courses were are very receptive to accommodating singles. Good Luck!

[quote name='RobGW' timestamp='1330962065' post='4440151']
I have not played there, so I can't give advice on specific courses. What I can pass along is what was told to me recently. At a local course last December, I showed up as a single on a cold morning. The course is usually totally empty early, but there was one guy in front of me. I caught him quickly, and we played together. He was from Norway, and here because he was staying in a rented condo on the course while visiting his daughter in school nearby (Miami U, OH). He traveled extensively for business, and always takes his clubs. The list of countries where he's played might exceed the total of all of the courses I've played! Anyway, to get specific he particularly liked a few Italian courses. Good value and great courses. He particularly liked some place near Venice, and a resort near the Austrian border. Most of the play is by foreigners, and the courses were are very receptive to accommodating singles. Good Luck!
[/quote]

Thank you. I have looked into flights and it is actually cheaper for me to Fly into Scotland near St. Andrews and play a few rounds there then Fly to Naples, Italy then it would be to fly straight from Phoenix to Naples. So I think I will plan my trip around that.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

[quote name='Beatupfender' timestamp='1330962945' post='4440229']
Sorry I can't help you with golf, I only went once, and spent all of the time sightseeing beautiful vistas, eating amazing food and drinking fabulous wine. Golf was the last thing on my mind on that trip... I hope you enjoy it half as much as I did.
[/quote]

I don't drink and won't be going with my wife so I will have little to no interest in sight seeing. Hanging out with my brother and Golf is all im going for.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

I was in Italy and Greece for about a month two years ago. Visited eight different places and took trains and buses everywhere we went. I saw one golf course.
In contrast, I was in the Scotland a year before, staying in Prestwick. On the train from Prestwick to Edinburgh we passed a golf course about every ten minutes.

The last thing I thought about in Italy was golf. I'm sure it's there somewhere. I would spend a week in the UK if I wanted to golf, and then head to Italy. Then I would stop back in the UK for a week on the way home. I also think Spain has some nice courses and better weather.

Napoli (Naples) is not the best italian city for golfing.
You may want to check at the Garda Lake area Northern Italy, there are same world class golf courses.
Garda Golf, Palazzo Arzaga, Chervo Golf Club, are great courses within 20 minutes drive.
Albenza Golf Club and Franciacorta GC are just 45 minutes drive direction Milan...
You will have great time, just be sure to play early in the morning as the heat can be brutal.

If you are going to do the St. Andrews thing then you shouldn't even bother playing in Italy. It's going to be a letdown after playing in Scotland. Plus, there are so many great things to see and do in Italy (especially if you are only there a week) that are better than the golf there. Also, it is going to be a pain and probably expensive to haul your clubs around there. You should ship your clubs home after Scotland so that you don't have to deal with them.

I was a corpsmen too and stationed/lived in Naples for 2 years as well. The golf there is not good. There is a military golf course at Carney park. It is a pretty boring 9 hole course. In fact in 2 years, I only played it once, no need to play it again. However, it is inside an extinct volcano, so you can play it for that aspect.
The other course there is in Lago Patria at the Holiday Inn. It is a short drive from either the hospital and/or Capodicino (the other base). The course at lago Patria is another 9 hole course but the layout is so much better and challenging. Also, there are a few holes that are nestled against the Mediterranean, and the conitions are ok as well. Another plus is that the course has a driving range, which you won't find anywhere else within 200 miles or so.
I was stupid and didn't play any golf in Ireland/Scotland when I was there. But when I went to london, we drove to Rome (1 hour away) and took a Ryan air flight for $23 to London. So maybe that is always an option. I had a friend during one weekend fly up there, for cheap, and play St. Andrews and Prestwick and was back at work on Monday.
I would take advantage of this opportunity and visit your brother as much as possiable. Because I was stationed there, I got to go London, Amsterdam, Muncich during Octoberfeast twice (if you like beer), San fermin/"running of the bulls" twice in spain, etc..Let me know if you got anyother questions..

[quote name='littleprov1x' timestamp='1331189632' post='4460123']
If you are going to do the St. Andrews thing then you shouldn't even bother playing in Italy. It's going to be a letdown after playing in Scotland. Plus, there are so many great things to see and do in Italy (especially if you are only there a week) that are better than the golf there. Also, it is going to be a pain and probably expensive to haul your clubs around there. You should ship your clubs home after Scotland so that you don't have to deal with them.
[/quote]

This is what I will probably be doing. My brother doesnt golf really so I will be going for a 2-3 week time. 1 week ing Scotland/Ireland to play golf and a week or so to go visit with him. So I am looking for different options for spending a week golfing. So far that is by far the most expensive part of the trip. Good idea on shipping my clubs back home I did not think of that. Thanks!

[quote name='Roopdawg' timestamp='1331208319' post='4460479']
I was a corpsmen too and stationed/lived in Naples for 2 years as well. The golf there is not good. There is a military golf course at Carney park. It is a pretty boring 9 hole course. In fact in 2 years, I only played it once, no need to play it again. However, it is inside an extinct volcano, so you can play it for that aspect.
The other course there is in Lago Patria at the Holiday Inn. It is a short drive from either the hospital and/or Capodicino (the other base). The course at lago Patria is another 9 hole course but the layout is so much better and challenging. Also, there are a few holes that are nestled against the Mediterranean, and the conitions are ok as well. Another plus is that the course has a driving range, which you won't find anywhere else within 200 miles or so.
I was stupid and didn't play any golf in Ireland/Scotland when I was there. But when I went to london, we drove to Rome (1 hour away) and took a Ryan air flight for $23 to London. So maybe that is always an option. I had a friend during one weekend fly up there, for cheap, and play St. Andrews and Prestwick and was back at work on Monday.
I would take advantage of this opportunity and visit your brother as much as possiable. Because I was stationed there, I got to go London, Amsterdam, Muncich during Octoberfeast twice (if you like beer), San fermin/"running of the bulls" twice in spain, etc..Let me know if you got anyother questions..
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I do not drink. I am only 23 and have never had any alcholic beverage. I am not sure why to be honest (maybe because I have and addictive personality and really dont want to open that can of worms) So I am sure we will be traveling and just having a good time. Thanks for posting in here and thank you for your service. I am really looking forward to going out there.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

[/quote]

I would have to agree with this advice. Play golf in the "motherland" and enjoy your time with your brother in Italy.

As for when, just be aware that the whole continent goes "on holiday" in August. Avoid that time period.

Sounds like an awesome time Blake!!

[quote name='Olson12' timestamp='1331308177' post='4469619']
[/quote]

This is what I will probably be doing. My brother doesnt golf really so I will be going for a 2-3 week time. 1 week ing Scotland/Ireland to play golf and a week or so to go visit with him. So I am looking for different options for spending a week golfing. So far that is by far the most expensive part of the trip. Good idea on shipping my clubs back home I did not think of that. Thanks!

[quote name='Roopdawg' timestamp='1331208319' post='4460479']
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I do not drink. I am only 23 and have never had any alcholic beverage. I am not sure why to be honest (maybe because I have and addictive personality and really dont want to open that can of worms) So I am sure we will be traveling and just having a good time. Thanks for posting in here and thank you for your service. I am really looking forward to going out there.
[/quote]

I have been to Italy for 6 different trips and played golf 5 of those trips... they were golf and food trips.

There is interesting golf everywhere in Italy. I like Poggio de Medici north of Florence for 5 star food and lodging with interesting golf. In Rome NE just outside the ring road is a private course you can call and get a time or the south end a 27 hole golf. In Sicily there is great golf and accommodation on the course over looking the Medeterranian or straight east you can play a 100 year old course on the slopes of Mr Etna all while it is burping and farting.

Italy has great golf that is approachable because so few Italians play, remember to lounge at the 9th hole over a panini and beira where ever you play. It is more early 60's golf in America even though there are modern themes developing.

If you do Naples the s*** hole, try the resort north where Napoli football train. The resort has fun golf that takes you on a variety of courses that are seaside and forest, ancient forrest.

If you go anytime before last week of April do not do Chianti as it is the rainy season, so the further south you go the better the weather. Enjoy, I know I did everytime I played!

[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1331309645' post='4469793']
[/quote]

I would have to agree with this advice. Play golf in the "motherland" and enjoy your time with your brother in Italy.

As for when, just be aware that the whole continent goes "on holiday" in August. Avoid that time period.

Sounds like an awesome time Blake!!
[/quote]

It is going to be a great time! I am planning my trip intending to take the first 2 weeks off in February of next year. Unless there is a better time of the year to go weather wise. If anyone can help with that that would be great.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

[quote name='littleprov1x' timestamp='1331328939' post='4472045']
The weather in Scotland will be absolutely horrid in February. That's not to say it won't be horrid in June too, but at least you have a better shot in the summer / fall.
[/quote]

Sicily [url="http://www.lemadoniegolf.com/"]east of Palermo[/url]