2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Brainstorming New Course Idea

My friends and I were tossing around an idea about building a course in a vacation area that would be super easy.

Modest yardages, hazards that just look nice but are not penal( like a waterfall near the green but really out of play), rock hard fairways, undulation that kicks the ball back to fairway or toward the green, soft furry greens, slightly oversized holes, elevated tees on all holes.

A place were you could play while on vacation and have your career best round, break 100, 90, 80, 70 or even 60!!!

We were thinking of a name like Pebble Beech, Augusta International, St. Andrues something fun.

What do you think?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say good luck, sounds like an interesting idea and may be fun to play but having a course tricked out too much to help improve golfers position may back fire. Sure we all enjoy the bounces that go our way but at the same time most golfers want to play a course that will offer some challanges but will not punish you for good shots.

The points you listed like the hard fairways and soft furry greens may turn off your core golfer but would be good for the golfer that only plays once or twice a year and only does so for fun and usually means the drinks that go along with the round means more to them than the golf does......basically a day of drinking with a little golf mixed in for some people. The core golfer is what keeps a course open year to year as long as they are happy with the course itself while the casual or vacation golfer will just help pad the bottom line. If you and your friend's goal is to develop a course that is fun to play I'd limit the tricks and stick to a design that makes it simple for the casual golfer but can still offer some challenge to all skill levels.

I'd recommend looking at and playing some different courses both in your local area and even other places like Myrtle Beach that tend to cater the golf trips for ideas on course layout. While out golfing take note of things you like about a course or a certain hole, even snap a couple of pics to refer to later, and use these as part of your design, most likely if there are certain layout features you like about a course it will please a majority of the golfing public.

Also while the play off famous golf courses could be fun in the name of your course I'd be cafeful not to infringe too closely on the real names, some of those courses take great offense and may go after you if they feel it could be an infringment of their course name. Keep to names that may have some meaning to the local area. Good luck and I hope you are able to make this come to being

I like the idea of an "easy" course. Why the heck to we "play a game" and need to be totally punished. I enjoy playing courses that allow you to miss your shot by a few yards and get good bounces instead of missing my 3 feet and getting killed. I play an easy course for the most part but there are a few holes where you miss the green by 3 feet and you roll 20-30 yards into the desert down a huge hill. I also don't like greens that are so fast and lumpy that anything more then 10 feet away from a flag stick and you're looking at 3-4 putts. That's just stupid for 95% of all golfers.

As a "resort" course I think you have a good idea. However be sure it is not super easy where it becomes a pitch and putt or turns off a hardcore golfer. You can mix them both so that you make money from both the casual golfer as well as the hradcore group. Don't alienate either side, find a good compromise.

I like the concept. Particularly if you could make it "affordable". And I don't think you have to gear any of it towards the hardcore golfer. There are plenty of expensive, immaculate courses that cater to that crowd. At least where I live there is. To me, the beginner/budget minded golfer are way under-served. Sorry, different discussion. A course that is fast and easy to play would fit my needs as a golfer nicely. I would add having only one set of tees per hole would be an interesting thought as well.

[quote name='minitour' timestamp='1337114125' post='4920220']
You had me until the oversized hole thing. That still only helps good putters and takes away from it being "golf" for me. Start making the holes bigger and all you need is a windmill and a clown's mouth.
[/quote]

Agreed, if you're going to go so far as to mess with the hole size, why not make a 50 yard par 3 with an enormous punchbowl green so everyone can get a hole-in-one?

Aside from that, I'd totally play a course that makes me feel awesome at golf for once in my life...

If I was to build a course I would do it entirely out of artificial turf.

just with different lengths for the rough, really long dyed white turf for bunckers. Then you would have to water it.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

[size="4"][i]"[b]We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not only because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win" - JFK[/b][/i][/size]

Forget the waterfalls, oversized holes and hazards that are eye candy only.

Build a course with wide fairways, no water hazards, strategic bunkers, have it play firm and fast, have a range of tee areas for all skill levels, 18 interesting holes, allow walking with push carts ...and you'll have St Andrews

PS you'll probably get sued if you use the Augusta name. On the other hand, there are about a dozen courses called St Andrews.

[quote name='sabram' timestamp='1337134027' post='4922328']
Forget the waterfalls, oversized holes and hazards that are eye candy only.

Build a course with wide fairways, no water hazards, strategic bunkers, have it play firm and fast, have a range of tee areas for all skill levels, 18 interesting holes, allow walking with push carts ...and you'll have St Andrews

[/quote]

Bunkers that invoke strategy? What an idea!

I think there is a large misconception among the general golf population that a course lacking a continual series of kick-to-the-nuts punishing hazards and bowling alley narrow fairways lined with thick rough and trees, must be "easy."

I'm discovering that the best courses can be challenging to score on, yet still playable and fun for the less-skilled golfer.

How can that be? I think it is a matter of a simple view shift. A challenging course means one has to play well and hit good shots in order to have a chance for birdie or par. In contrast is the idea that every less-than-well-executed shot must be punished and the challenge is to avoid a triple bogey.

Unfortunately, so many modern golf courses market a high slope rating as a badge of honor and we have bought into the concept.

For the OP, if you are really serious, I suggest you go out and play as many Coore and Crenshaw designed courses as you can to get an idea of what I'm talking about.