2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Who introduced you to golf?

pitbull808

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I joined the USAF in the 80's and at my first base a fellow worker wanted a golf partner. I didnt know anyone so I thought I would give it a try just to keep boredom form taking over. Anyhow, my first drive ever (with a persimmon driver) was a low boring fade about 270 yrds (totally obliterated my co-workers drive, lol). Hooked (on golf) ever since.

I started about 1 year ago and it was all thanks to one of my buddies. He had a planned outing with his friends and he asked me to come, so I told him I never played before. Then he posed me the question of how I expected to be a real doctor and not play golf? So I figured he was right. I was hooked ever since. And thanks to him and golf I've made a lot of friends at med school thru golf and even have played a few rounds with professors. Looking back now I don't know how I lived without it :P

My Dad bought me a set of Wilson Kathy Cornelius clubs in 1964 when I was 10. I beat it around at the range until I was 14 when I got a set of Haig Ultras and started to go with my Dad to the course regularly. Couldn't break 100 until I was 15 when a man I worked for fixed my grip and I went straght to the 80's.

I have played regularly since then with only a brief break a few years ago.

Titleist TSR2 10* Hzrdus Red
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Red
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

age 13...got the chickenpox from using the wrong toothbrush...proceeded to stay awake for 46 hours because of the pain...

Watched Greg Norman instructional videos the entire time...3 years later No. 1 man my last two years at a 6a school which led to a full ride tuition...

Not bad all because of a toothbrush...LOL!!

I started nearly 23 years ago this month, my friend and I used a few clubs to hit balls on our school field, we then borrowed a couple of sets and me and my dad, my friend and his brother went to our local golf course and proceeded to 'get our monies worth', I shot 144 over 18 holes but on the last hole managed to land a 5 iron to one foot of the hole, I was hooked there and then and golf has been my greatest passion ever since. I've played up and down the UK, some great and not so great courses, given up after a bad round many times only to be lured back within hours ready with atticipation for the next round. I must have spent thousands on equipment, books, magazines, videos, dvds, green fees, golf holidays and I can honestly say that not one penny has been wasted on this wonderful game. I've gone from shooting 144 to my lowest 69 and every round I play now starts off with the intention of beating that low score.

Simple topic that maybe can be chimed in by everyone here in Golfwrx land. :yess:

I started at about 8 years old with a cut down hickory shafted Otey Crisman putter my dad gave to me. My dad had turned the backyard into a putting green and I'd be out there after school putting around. Soon after I had my first junior set of four clubs and would be hitting balls and wiffle balls from our yard to our neighbords yard. Although I played a lot of sports in between including baseball, football, and basketball, golf was always my favorite.

I have been playing for 2 years serioulsy. My grandpa got me a set from a garage sale and that started it. I now shoot in the 80s :diablo: and occasionally 90s :idhitit:

• 2 months later...

My grandfather got me into the game. He is not a club ho like most of us but when he was in his prime he shot in the 80's, he has been playing since he was 16 and he is 60 something years old now. the reason he didn't get real good was because of a steel rod in his leg restricted movement so he has a screwed up Furyk swing. I can't imagine my life without golf. I thank him everytime we play together

Rich

my dad introduced me,but I know everything I do about golf from myself.

[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Bridgestone J33R 460 9.5* - Aldila Voodoo XNV6[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]TEE XCG6 15* - Testing [/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Ping Rapture 18* - Aldila NV 105-X[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Ping Rapture 24* - Project X 6.5[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Cobra '08 Pro CB Forged 5-PW - Project X 6.5 (Satin)[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Vokey SM 50* and 54* - DG S400[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Callaway X-Tour Forged PM Grind 58* - DG S400[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Seemore M1 Milled[/size][/font]

For me it was my Dad...years and years ago. It's nice that we still get to get in a round or two today. ;)

I started a similar topic to this and will merge it with your post....so the poll is included. :stop:

For me it was a friend. Years ago he threw a 7 iron into my hand and it just felt great. Although the game really didn't stick with me. I was about 16 then. It wasn't until later when I was living and working in Hamilton, Ontario that I was really introduced to the game.

The Canadian Senior Open was going on and I was coming home after a midnight shift and coming out from his hotel was "The King" Arnold Palmer. He said "good morning" to me and talked to me about 5 minutes (non-golf related just asked if I played) and that was it. I went home, found the nearest sporting goods store and bought a lousy $75 set (zinc heads). I admit that I didn't get serious about the game until 3 years ago when I got ill and couldn't really play other sports.

I would love to have the chance to see him again just to say thanks. But in the mean time...thanks Mr. Palmer.

Alex

My dad got me in the game. He didn't push me. he took me to the driving range when I was in junior high. I liked golf but i didn't go wild over it. Then one day in high school I got the bug. My dad signed me up for a membership to a public course in West Hartford, Connecticut. I averaged 45 holes a day. I remember there were days when I rode my bike to and from the course. I would attach the clubs on a golf cart and attach that to the back of my Schwinn. I drove it about 5 miles each way. A lot of kids made fun of me for riding that way and being interested in golf, but they didn't see the big picture. They didn't understand that a club ho will do anything to play golf.

Frank....

That's priceless. reminds me of the movie where the kid is trying to get the lessons from that pro andriding his bike to see him with his clubs on his back just to hit balls into the water. LOL

Thanks for sharing Guys.

;)

-CHRIS-

Chris,

Keep in mind I went to high school in the 70s. Golf was considered a pu$$y sport for the most part back then. I remember riding past a school bus and hearing the kids laugh at me. I was so driven to learn and play, their laughter didn't even bother me.

Frank....

That's priceless. reminds me of the movie where the kid is trying to get the lessons from that pro andriding his bike to see him with his clubs on his back just to hit balls into the water. LOL

Thanks for sharing Guys.

;)

-CHRIS-

"Greatest game Ever Played" great movie, the life lessons one could learn from that movie ARE priceless.

My dad was never one for sport unless it was martial arts or soccer officiating. I found the game through my Grandfather and 2 of my uncles. My first round was when I was about 10, never really got into the game until I was about 30, then the floodgates opened and I have been pouring myself into the game since. I play a round with my uncles yearly. and I play at least 3 times a week.

My dad played once, that was a good time!

I introduced the game to my son at 11 months (started walking) and to my daughter at the same time. both have their own sets and I play a par 3 with my son almost every sunday. Anthony is now 4 (5 in Jan)and Nadia just turned 2 on Nov, 3rd. I hope to play hundreds upon hundreds of rounds with the both of them. College awaits!

Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x

My introduction to golf was kinda weird I think! My Dad played golf for as long as I can remember and my first memory of golf was me riding in the golf cart and yelling Dad watch out for the squirrel before he hit a shot. Actually my dad did not introduce me to the game. As a high school freshman I almost got into a fight (with who became my best friend in high school) when we were sent to the school Security officer and we discovered that both our names were Andre. The officer was asking info about me and I told him my dad played golf so he said for my punishment I would be a member of the GOLF TEAM (He needed a number 4, though I never hit a ball in my life). So I played all 4 years and 2 years in college (gave up the game for several years) and now I wish I had been more serious about it. I love the game so much I could play every day.

[b]Srixon ZX7  Evenflow White Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* EvenFlow White Stiff
Titleist TS3 19* hybrid EvenFlow White X-stiff 90gm[/b]
[b]Srixon ZX7 4-PW  Stiff

[/b]
[b]Bettnardi  50*  KBS S+

Bettnardi  54*  KBS S+

Bettnardi 60* KBS S+

[/b]Putter: Bettinardi BB#11 Ball:[b]Srixon Z-Star XV[/b]

Frank....

Thanks for sharing Guys.

;)

-CHRIS-

Chris,

Keep in mind I went to high school in the 70s. Golf was considered a pu$$y sport for the most part back then. I remember riding past a school bus and hearing the kids laugh at me. I was so driven to learn and play, their laughter didn't even bother me.

Frank....I was a few years younger then you graduating in the early 80's but many still considered it a "pu$$y" sport then too. Funny thing is I was also on the varsity football team at the same time golf season started. It was sort of odd attending the pre-season golf meetings in my football clothes and then practicing with the football team after. Never got called a pu$$y and the golf team loved it because my being on the football team and them knowing me rubbed off on them too. :stop:

Started at about 8...just smacking a club around in the park beside my house.

got my first membership at 13 at a muni course like 4500 yards...play there till 15 then joined my dads club.

Been there for 4 years now... 2 time junior champ woot woot!!

my first year at my dads (15-16 years old) club i was a 17 handicap to start and a 12 by the end of the year...2nd year (16-17 years old) got down to about 7-8, 3rd year (17-18) I was down between 6-8 and never really got lower focused more on hockey that summer than golf...last year I starter at just under an 8 and worked on my game all summer and am currently just under 2.

So in 4 years at an actual course I went from a 17 to a 2.

Great stuff man!

Dont laugh but it was Happy Gilmore that got me into the game!!!! When Happy came out in the theaters I went to see it because I was a huge SNL fan. Man I loved this movie, a few weeks later I golfed for the first time in a gym class. I cant belive they let our class on the course, hahaha 30 hackers all at the same time, wow. So I am 25 now and I have been playing ever since that movie came out, well only the past 3 years I have played more than 10 rounds a year.

I got a membership 3 years ago and started the season as a 35 handicap, through the season I got it down to a 25.

Last year I went from a 25 to an 18

and this year I got it from 18 to 10

now it is just a mental block, I cant shoot in the 70's to save my life... I cant count the 82's and 80's I had this year... it always gets me on the 16th tee... I know I am only a few over and then ... HOOK HOOK I am going to shoot in the 80's AGAIN. hahah... oh well something to shoot for nest season. Although I did have a couple rounds in the 70's this year it was not enough.

The price is wrong b!tcµ !!

Pops introduced me to golf... now that I think about it, I feel kinda bad... as before my sister and I came along, he was a decent low 80s shooter that even won the odd tournament here and there, for his flight... although there is some sick satisfaction knowing that you are not that good and just waxed him ;) We have a golf trip planned for Mecca AKA Myrtle Beach, but it has been delayed for maybe a year or so... got very sick last year, bad times... looking for a nice little salary with a job attached before heading to grad school... priorities, I guess... extended sigh...

My wife and her twin sister played in high school - after we got married they dragged the husbands out one afternoon (about 2 years ago) to a really short easy muni down the street.

I went kicking and screaming - but I was obsessed when we got home! I just blame it on her when I spend money or go play!

--TW