2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Is there a hole at your course that always beats you down?

There are selection of three holes at my home course that I can birdie / par as easily as I can double them.

3rd hole is our number one stroke hole, short but stupid fairway bunkers line the right side of the fairway and the fairway slopes right to left with absolute crap if you go too far left. If you can stop the ball below the hole it's ok but out your approach past the pin and you can be screwed as you can't stop the ball coming back. My driver can clear the bunkers but there is a big dip in front of the green and it's luck of the draw on the lie...if you catch the downhill you can't stop it on the green even with a 52 degree wedge unless you hit it absolutely perfectly... And then it's easy but how often do I hit it perfectly, not that often

9th hole is our number 3 stroke hole. Not a hard hole if I can drive it straight but I have this crazy idea that I can clear the trees lining the right side of the fairway (there is a slight dog leg right). I used to hit a draw when I used to play golf which was sweet aim right side of fairway draw it back into the centre. Now I'm hitting a fade or a push but my subconscious still can't get past aiming slightly right, so I out it in the trees...idiot!

And then there's the 15th. Over a ravine with dog left left. Only need to play hybrid off tee so that's sweet. But the bloody green is two tiers with the back tier below the front tier. If the pin is on the back it's an easy birdie hole but when the pin is on the front can you get a wedge to stop...NO. Unless you land it short of the green and then it stays short. SO, now it's winter it's easier as the balls actually stop on the greens but on summer I just couldn't figure out how to play it to get it to stop on the front tier...GRRR it's so psychological!!!

Hmmmmmmmmm...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1338223496' post='4989212']
I have four holes on three courses.

1. Prince William GC: A 202 yard Par 3. I've hit this green only ONCE in 10 years. It has a big swath of junk at the 180 mark.

[b]2. Broad Run GC: A 220 yard Par 3, with water left and trees right, leading into the 7th hole.[/b]

3. Bristow Manor GC: A 467 yard Par 4/5. The fairway STOPS at 200 yards you have to hit it over the junk onto the next fairway with trees right and water beyond that. I ALWAYS screw this hole up!

4. Also at Bristow Manor: A 201 yard Par 3. The hole is straightforward with junk at the 140 mark. I have no idea why I can never hit this green.
[/quote]

This is probably my favorite hole on the course. Even when I miss the green, it's normally greenside to the left where it's a little wide. Definitely don't want to go right here. Yesterday, though, I hit two off the 7th onto the 6th (both 9-hole rounds), but still managed to make par.

Blue Ridge Shadows, number 7 and 14, I believe. Seven is just my nemesis for no particular reason. The 14th has a split fairway and once you get done with that, it's up and through/over a treeline onto an small green. Rough and marsh everywhere.

GBB Epic 9.0*
Srixon 17*
Taylormade M1 19*
Srixon U65 20*, 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*
Taylormade Tour Spider

The 5th hole at my course is a 195 yard Par 3 with three bunkers surrounding it. There is no bail out to the left or the right, and even the back is lined with trees. There is probably a 30 yard wide area that you can hit it in the air and not be in the trees. The green is about 10 yards wide and 40 yards long, and it is multi tiered. I find this hole to be literally impossible. I have birdied it twice and I have played this course since I was 6, kinda ridiculous.

Oh, and it's the 18th handicap. Adding insult to injury there.

• 3 weeks later...

We have three that give me fits and strangely all are short par 4's. Second hole, 345 yards, uphill, slight dogleg right with a fairway that slopes hard from right to left. Huge trees hang into the fairway down the entire right side and out of bounds left. The fairway is a ribbon and almost impossible to keep the ball on it. The green is a turtle back the size of a dime with huge slope. Long and left of the green is out of bounds. False front on the green rejects anyting with a lot of spin or slightly short. Four is a really good score.

Number eight, 375 yards is straight downhill all the way, dogleg right with out of bounds left, and fairway slopes right to left. Trees down the right encroach into the fairway and too tall to allow cutting the corner. Second shot is from a hanging downhill sidehill lie to a green that slopes from front to back with out of bounds long, left, or, right. Another turtle back green that is extremely difficult to hold even with a wedge. Best option is a punch and run short of the green and let it "trickle" on. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that we are 5000" in elevation and the tee box is always exposed to heavy left to right wind.

Number sixteen, another downhiller dogleg right to left. Fairway slopes left to right and a pond at the bottom of the hill that is in play and easily reachable on the tee shot. Trees line both sides of the fairway with out of bounds left and right. Always a heavy left to right wind. The second shot, depending on how far down the hill, is hit from a hanging sidehill /downhill or a half wedge across the pond to a very small, firm green that slopes back to front toward the pond. Too much spin and it's wet, not enough and it's on the bank behind the green. Very tough to get a shot to hold the putting surface. Just goes to show they don't have to be long to bedifficult. But, Summers here rarely exceed 75* so I'll accept a couple tough holes.

A par three on each side at my CC. Been hating them for 15 years!
#7 200 uphill. Bunkers front left and right. Two tiered green, heavy pine trees 15 ft behind green.

#11 205 severely uphill, over water. Turtleback green with a deep bunker guarding the left front. Easy par from the whites, easy bogey from the tips.

Number nine at Dairy Creek, my home course in San Luis Obispo, California. It's 393 from the tees I play - uphill. There's a lake that fronts the tee and hugs the left side of the fairway. OB way right. Tough to get it there, but, by golly, I've done it.

A small draw is the correct tee shot but I'm pretty much a cut guy. Starting off over the lake is not for me! Too far right leaves me in the rough with tree problems if I'm not lucky.

Then the fun begins. The green is up a rise (on an uphill hole!),two tiered, and guarded by two traps on the left. You can't see the hole from the fairway. If you're on the wrong tier, forgetabout it.

I birdie it once in a blue moon, par is fantastic, and bogie is not considered too bad.

I wish I had a nickel (well, four bucks) for every ball I've put into that pond.

There is one hole at my home club that is my absolute nemesis. It's #12 on the Cypress Creek course at Champions Golf Club (Houston, TX).

It's a par 3 that can measure anywhere from around 190 yards (tees up and hole cut in the front) up to 240+ yards (tees back and hole cut in the back). There is a huge lake cutting across diagonally in front and to the left of the green, and there are two big bunkers guarding the right side of the green. The green is very skinny in the front and widens as you go back. Over the back of the green is a steep drop off and low-hanging trees that prevent you from hitting anything other than a low chip onto a surface running away from you toward the water.

It's a hole where you either have a birdie putt or you've looking at at least bogey; there really isn't a safe, go-to shot off the tee other than flirting with the bunkers to avoid the water.

If it were 30-40 yards shorter it wouldn't be all that difficult of a hole; when you are hitting a long iron/hybrid/fairway woods into it, it's a completely different animal.

• 2 weeks later...

4th hole at my home course. It's a 400yd Par 4, that I have averaged 5.36 this year, over 11 rounds so far.

Slight downhill dogleg left, with a recessed green. Yes, recessed. There's a 2' rolling dropoff right in front of the green (fairway), onto a ledge that's about 8' that starts the green and then down another 8" to the rest of the green. The green is more narrow than wide. If your ball lands with some speed on the fairway and rolls to the green, it will roll to the back of the green into the rough, or over the back (where you'll be about another 7'-8' below the hole). You need a good tee shot to wedge on to have a shot at 2 putting. Or, you lay up your 2nd shot, light wedge and hope to be close enough to the hole for a 1 putt. Birdies on this hole are the rarest.

Hole_4_Wide_View.jpg

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

• 5 months later...

Back to life!

Number 12- 200 yd par 3 from tips. Seems like it always plays dead into the wind. Slightly downhil no more than a few yards. Fade is preferable shot
shape. If you want to miss, miss it short it's short. Left is deep bunker with high side green running away from you. Right side is scary, The Cattailwasteland. Then right past that up against the green is another bunker. Long is bad also with rough sloping towards the next tee.
Im always happy to get my par and move on. Easy up and down if pin is middle to front so i generally take a club down and miss short.
This hole has ruined many great rounds!!!! Normal guys i play with always give me s*** on this hole bc it always screws me!! Mental!!

Number 16- 475 yd par 4 from tips. Straight forward par 4 seems easy? There is a large pond 260-300 yds out on the left side with fairway sloping
towards the pond. So if you draw the ball it has some roll on it.. your in the pond. Right isn't too much trouble unless you go far right.
Green is pretty flat with bunker on left and right side of the hole. Generally the right play is to hit a 3 wood to lay short of the water
The only trouble is your having a 200 yard shot into a green guarded by 2 bunkers. I've only birdied this hole a couple of times. Par is
great score. One of my birdies came from 3 wood to 5 iron to 2 inches. We all thought it was cup. Just a couple holes at the local public
course that can give you some fits!

For me there are two holes on my to home courses.
1. #17 - 180-yd Par-3 , over water, very slick sloping green back into water, false front often... And for some cosmic reason, there's ALWAYS a 1-2 club wind blowing at me.
2. #3 - 190-yd par 3, first over water, then over 60 yds of rough to a fast green guarded on my hook side by bunkers and front and fade side by moguls.

hmmm.... what is it about those long par three's.....

My club has 2 courses and each has 1 hole that just kills me every time.

1st is on the South Course, it's a 215 yard par 3 from the tips but normally plays 197 or 205. Uphill so add a club with a giant fir tree (i'm talking 60 feet tall and about 25 yards wide at the base of the limbs). The fir tree is about 20 yards in front of the green and cuts off about 5 yards of the right hand side of the green. Left of the green is a 10 ft deep bunker that's 15 yards long by about 10 yards wide. I like to play a draw and the tree prevents you from hitting a draw as you'll hit the tree or draw it into the bunker. Fade or slice it too much and you're in 3 ft deep wheat grass.

2nd is the North Course, Par 4 that's only about 280 but it's a dog leg that plays 90 degrees left but you can't go at the green as there is a 6' high mound in front with a 15 ft deep collection area on the backside of the green. Just eats me up every time.