I absolutely did not figure out Hogan's secret about 30 weekends ago

[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1338483900' post='5005720']
[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1338480062' post='5005326']
[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1338478957' post='5005210']
Nothing new there TD, these things have been discussed ad naseum on this site for several years now, but glad it's working for you. I agree with Eightiron, Hogan was being honest when he wrote the Life article titled "This is MY secret." Also, I think that getting into that famous Hogan pitch elbow is something that is more of a reaction to his left arm pronation in the backswing (which keeps his right elbow down) and his downswing pivot. Trying to force the elbow there on the downswing might be OK as a training exercise, but I wouldn't try it on the golf course.

Keep in mind the benefits of that laid off position/EEP in creating a torque about the axis of the left arm which helps to square the face and remember that right in 5L Hogan states that he didn't really have confidence in his ability to be a great player until he'd grooved his backswing slot. This is why so many great ballstrikers shallow the club in transition, IMO. The left arm pronation in the BS is what did that for Hogan so he didn't need a shallowing move and could "bust it right from the top" as Geoff Jones likes to say.

Just my opinion.
[/quote]

Yup. Totally agree.

Hoganfan, any changes in Geoff's teachings nowadays compared to his Encyclopedia Texarkana days?
[/quote]

His core beliefs and concepts have not changed in years, but his way of communicating them are always evolving. He's always working on new homemade training aid ideas, imagery, feels, etc. to most quickly and effectively elicit changes in his students. His latest (and most favorite gizmo) is a homemade driver that's a combo Ledbetter swingsetter and weighted club. Also, although he revealed quite a bit in his posts here, he didn't reveal everything. And don't bother asking because I'm not telling.
[/quote]

Thanks. What happened to his Book? And website? It's what, 2 or 3 years delayed already?

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='CARDY' timestamp='1338307256' post='4994144']
Hey Durden
The first thing about Golf Club is you always talk about golf club
[/quote]

hahha I get it "TylerDurden"

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1338482931' post='5005590']
[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1338480834' post='5005382']
[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338476128' post='5004936']
Oh and one more thing. IMO, if you think Hogan has to [size=5][b]actively[/b][/size] roll his hands through impact or anything like that, then you are way off base on the secret.
[/quote]

...youre talking feels. Hogan had PA2, PA3, etc and had to release it. Armswing and roll.

Trevino is much closer to "not releasing the hands and arms" than Hogan. But there is release. Dont confuse people and start saying that everything is pinned to the body.
[/quote]

check out the work I've highlighted.............. why is it some people always latch onto someone when they say Hogan didn't [i]actively [/i]release, and[b] immediate interpret it as meaning[/b] that Hogan didn't release at all?

Of Course Hogan had a release, he just happened in a specific way because of various things he did.
[/quote]

I immediate interpret it as meaning for some of the members of this site who talk about "body releases".

If the handle is moving then there is plenty of [i]active[/i]

[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1338491630' post='5006504']
Hey TD,

just out of interest, have your distances improved? and if so by how much? and what are some of your club yardages now?
[/quote]

Not sure yet. I doubt this will make me longer though. I already hit it pretty far (for a 5'7" guy). I just want to take the 100 yard block and sweeping hook out of my bag.

<p>[quote name=&#39;tylerdurden&#39; timestamp=&#39;1338493695&#39; post=&#39;5006742&#39;]<br />
[quote name=&#39;nicebutdim&#39; timestamp=&#39;1338491630&#39; post=&#39;5006504&#39;]<br />
Hey TD,<br />
<br />
just out of interest, have your distances improved? and if so by how much? and what are some of your club yardages now?<br />
[/quote]<br />
<br />
Not sure yet. I doubt this will make me longer though. I already hit it pretty far (for a 5&#39;7&quot; guy). I just want to take the 100 yard block and sweeping hook out of my bag.<br />
[/quote]<br />
&nbsp;</p>

Swing is looking good TD. Glad you finally figured out Tyler's secret!

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1338509082' post='5008088']
[/quote]

Thanks man.

I'm beginning to realize everyone else knew this stuff and I'm a bone head to think it's new informaiton. But I do think it is a really important change Hogan made after the 1930s that obviously helps him a lot.

Something else that I thought was interesting, Hoganfan posted this link on another thread: [url="http://people.stfx.ca/smackenz/swingplane.html"][color="#0f72da"]http://people.stfx.c...swingplane.html[/color][/url]

After reading this article and knowing my bad habit was approaching the ball too steep, it makes sense I had a big block in my bag. But I guess my point is what I considered "the secret" is consistent with my old big miss and this research. So I'm pumped.

I am not, by nature, a dismissive person and believe I have reasonable intelligence. However, whilst the dissection of Hogan's swing makes for interesting reading and stimulating discussion I have to wonder about the value of emulating Hogan's swing for the majority of golfers. In thinking about this I have asked my myself some questions.

1. Am I 5 ft 9 inches tall - well almost I'm 5 ft 8
2. Do I posess Hogans physical strength - Ben Hogan was considered strong for his size, I am simply average.
3. Do I match his physical proportions such as arm length and leg measurement - I don't know.
4. Do I consistently fight a low hook - no, I fight a push/ push slice although I do snap hook on occasions.
5. Have I ever been involved in a serious accident that did a lot of damage to my legs - Surely this must have influenced how he moved - no I have a weak back.
6. Do I want a swing that will hold up under the stress of competition - absolutely and I'm still looking.

I admire all golfers who seek excellence and are prepared to put in the work necessary to achieve this. If following Hogan's road map gets you there then that's great. I am not sure that it would work for me. I, like Hogan, firmly believe that getting getting the fundamentals absolutely right is essential to excellent golf and that the only way to achieve that is by careful study and a great deal of hard work.

To TD et al I wish you success and fufillment of your golfing ambitions.

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338518546' post='5009142']
Thanks man.

I'm beginning to realize everyone else knew this stuff and I'm a bone head to think it's new informaiton. But I do think it is a really important change Hogan made after the 1930s that obviously helps him a lot.

Something else that I thought was interesting, Hoganfan posted this link on another thread: [url="http://people.stfx.ca/smackenz/swingplane.html"][color=#0f72da]http://people.stfx.c...swingplane.html[/color][/url]

After reading this article and knowing my bad habit was approaching the ball too steep, it makes sense I had a big block in my bag. But I guess my point is what I considered "the secret" is consistent with my old big miss and this research. So I'm pumped.
[/quote]

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338518546' post='5009142']
[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1338509082' post='5008088']
[/quote]

Thanks man.

Something else that I thought was interesting, Hoganfan posted this link on another thread: [url="http://people.stfx.ca/smackenz/swingplane.html"][color=#0f72da]http://people.stfx.c...swingplane.html[/color][/url]

[/quote]

Wow I've learned a lot from this thread. thanks to Hoganfan and yourself I see things a bit differently. What you are calling Hogan's secret is building Angular momentum in the bs. Which in effect causes a tilt similar to the stack and tilt pattern (rotated shoulder turn tgm). It's a hands controlled pivot because of the intent to pull the handle. It's all feels, and we would all look different making the move and strike the ball in different ways.

I gained some knowledge though from that link. Angular momentum really helps square the face. I guess that's why the slicefixer guys say they have a "body release"(still have very active arms, but they dont feel that way). Because the hands and arms feel more dead in comparison to someone who has to work harder to get the handle and face in position for a pristine strike of the ball.

All the guys I thought that didnt understand it were really on to something. I will say that if Hogan didnt swing the handle back as far as he did then his swing would look something like this...

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSMA6mDrQs8[/media]

EDIT...this is not a guy who i thought didnt understand it period lol
EDIT AGAIN lol this is a guess at TD's secret. I dont have the greatest interpersonal skills (so i get a strange pm now and then) hopefully td will comment. Ive got plenty to learn just like the next guy.

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1338609603' post='5015792']

Wow I've learned a lot from this thread. thanks to Hoganfan and yourself I see things a bit differently. What you are calling Hogan's secret is building Angular momentum in the bs. Which in effect causes a tilt similar to the stack and tilt pattern (rotated shoulder turn tgm). It's a hands controlled pivot because of the intent to pull the handle. It's all feels, and we would all look different making the move and strike the ball in different ways.

I gained some knowledge though from that link. Angular momentum really helps square the face. I guess that's why the slicefixer guys say they have a "body release"(still have very active arms, but they dont feel that way). Because the hands and arms feel more dead in comparison to someone who has to work harder to get the handle and face in position for a pristine strike of the ball.

All the guys I thought that didnt understand it were really on to something. I will say that if Hogan didnt swing the handle back as far as he did then his swing would look something like this...

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSMA6mDrQs8[/media]

EDIT...this is not a guy who i thought didnt understand it period lol
EDIT AGAIN lol this is a guess at TD's secret. I dont have the greatest interpersonal skills (so i get a strange pm now and then) hopefully td will comment. Ive got plenty to learn just like the next guy.
[/quote]

I didn't get your point, I think. You mean Dan's swing is not Hogan because Dan didn't swing the handle as far back as he could like Hogan? What do you mean Hogan swung the handle as far back as he could? Dan's L arm was never bent...so how can you say the handle/hands is not as far as they could be?

Best Hogan thread in a long time i must say, full of laughs too.
has gone from slamming the guy to almost sensible, terrific stuff from everyone.
I know why he won't tell,
He's scared of Tee Ace doing a Lazarus and proving in six dimensional time warp language that he is wrong.
You are not alone Tyler, we are all very very afraid of Tee Ace.

Are we talking about a thing that does not exist?
Is it a primary object like Plato's forms?,
and all secret's are contain the primary qualities of the form but then with added individual qualities (all apples are apples but they are all different).

If there is only one secret then only one person can have that object at any one time.
So if Tyler has the secret he can tell us all about it but it won't help us because he has it and we don't.

After long consideration I have concluded that there is but one secret, an ephemeral object that is transported around the various world systems
by the designated secret carrying angel.
This angel occassionally lets it fall over a golfer like a mystical shroud and the golfer's mind and body is transported and energized like never before.
Unfortunately when the angel spies another deserving golfer , the secret invisible shroud is removed and placed on a new him/her/it.
There are times in the world's history when there is no secret, the angel is busy in other realms of existence.
Tyler's journey is to be admired,
to realize that the secret is a secret that is not a secret is a breakthrough insight.
Infinity of course exists.... or does it?
You can't prove it does and you can't prove it doesn't.
Descartes used this idea in a way to "prove" God exists.
Possibly the secret is the secret that will finally prove God exists,
all attempts have failed so far.
Is it more important to prove God exists or for Tyler to have a great golf swing?

(If you followed that line of reasoning you're a better man than me Gunga Din).

Ohhhhh... and i forgot to mention...
i think I found the secret today at the range (serious! new thing for me).
funny how when you do something right you just know its right.
most of my other 35,269 fixes have half worked but never felt "right".
its a bit Sir Squish, some Mr, Hogan of course, a smidgen of Rory, and too many others to mention.
it has i believe cured my premature lust for the goat.
(she's gonna miss me, i know).
i can only give you one clue.
its to do with how God created Eve.

Looney Tunes time!

[quote name='Pinsplitter59' timestamp='1338745027' post='5022132']
Best Hogan thread in a long time i must say, full of laughs too.
has gone from slamming the guy to almost sensible, terrific stuff from everyone.
I know why he won't tell,
He's scared of Tee Ace doing a Lazarus and proving in six dimensional time warp language that he is wrong.
You are not alone Tyler, we are all very very afraid of Tee Ace.

Are we talking about a thing that does not exist?
Is it a primary object like Plato's forms?,
and all secret's are contain the primary qualities of the form but then with added individual qualities (all apples are apples but they are all different).

If there is only one secret then only one person can have that object at any one time.
So if Tyler has the secret he can tell us all about it but it won't help us because he has it and we don't.

After long consideration I have concluded that there is but one secret, an ephemeral object that is transported around the various world systems
by the designated secret carrying angel.
This angel occassionally lets it fall over a golfer like a mystical shroud and the golfer's mind and body is transported and energized like never before.
Unfortunately when the angel spies another deserving golfer , the secret invisible shroud is removed and placed on a new him/her/it.
There are times in the world's history when there is no secret, the angel is busy in other realms of existence.
Tyler's journey is to be admired,
to realize that the secret is a secret that is not a secret is a breakthrough insight.
Infinity of course exists.... or does it?
You can't prove it does and you can't prove it doesn't.
Descartes used this idea in a way to "prove" God exists.
Possibly the secret is the secret that will finally prove God exists,
all attempts have failed so far.
Is it more important to prove God exists or for Tyler to have a great golf swing?

(If you followed that line of reasoning you're a better man than me Gunga Din).
[/quote]

[quote name='Pinsplitter59' timestamp='1338746432' post='5022254']
its a bit Sir Squish, some Mr, Hogan of course, a smidgen of Rory, and too many others to mention.
[/quote]

[quote name='Pinsplitter59' timestamp='1338746432' post='5022254']
[/quote]

And yet another has discovered how to maintain their tush line by doing a rib crunch on the DS!

[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1338707905' post='5020616']
I didn't get your point, I think. You mean Dan's swing is not Hogan because Dan didn't swing the handle as far back as he could like Hogan? What do you mean Hogan swung the handle as far back as he could? Dan's L arm was never bent...so how can you say the handle/hands is not as far as they could be?
[/quote]

I [i]think[/i] it has to do with extensor pressure. The right arm trying to straighten. Still depends on the pace of the takeaway/rebound effect in transition.

Hogan had heavy clubs but his hands were trying to get deeper early. If he had more liberal extensor pressure I dont think they would ever get there and the club would not have rebounded to parallel.

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338475980' post='5004928']
OK I'm uploading a bunch of video on my youtube account (casmdean1) if you guys want to see and I'm going to attach some pictures to this.

I'm also going to spill the beans because I feel like it. Before that, please note that if you do see my swing, I'm not claiming it's Hogan or looks like Hogan, etc. My definition of "the secret" is how to stabilize the clubface through the impact zone. Other people define it differently which is fine. I just looked at his 1930s swings and compared them to 1946 and after and that's what I'm calling his secret because he was a big time flipper then he stopped being a flipper.

Anyway, the main difference I noticed between pre and post secret swings according to this definition are: 1) Hogan got to the early elbow plane ("EEP") post secret, and he didn't pre secret; and 2) Hogan stuck his right elbow to his side post secret, vs. having it more in front of him post secret. IMO AND in my experience, this combination of things stabilizes the clubface FOR ME. No obviously there is more to it then that, but I've been able to hit the ball solid for a long time now and have shot under par plenty of times (with a bush-league shortgame unfortunately but I'm going to work on that now that I understand what I need to do with my swing instead of spending time trying to figure things out).

So here's another thing I thought was interesting about what I consider the secret. Pronation or suppination in the backswing (I don't know which is which) shallows the club and helps with the process of getting on the EEP. Pitchers right elbow as demonstrated in 5L also helps shallow the club and get on the EEP. Pitchers elbow also pins the right elbow to the side assuming your pivot is performed correctly (and you aren't backing out of the shot, covering instead on the way down). One other thing, the whole Jody Vasquez secret with the right knee is actually part of pivoting correctly IMO (I know not everyone agrees with this, but it definitely helps me). And this is the part of the secret that I said goes against your instinct, because you are basically blocking out our right elbow for a large portion of the downswing, which felt REALLY weird for me.

Here is pics of me demonstrating (taken from full speed swings hitting 4 iron):

Actually nevermind that, I can't figure out how to upload pics with this new format (if someone else knows how let me know).

Anyway, Trevino and Hogan do the same thing coming into the ball that I'm talking about. And I went back and looked at some of my swings where I was actually happy with my release and I found I was doing this as well (not as well as either of those studs but I was much closer than when I was coming in and flipping it through the ball).

Again, I'm uploading a bunch of these videos now so you can check them out on my channel. I'm not anywhere close to having this move down and there are definitely other issues I still need to address. BUT I am convinced this move is going to allow me to have the impacts dynamics I've been search for for years at this point. Just need reps lol.

Also, one other thing, I noticed this website after the fact because I stumble on some of the guys videos: [url="http://biokineticgolfswing.blogspot.com/"]http://biokineticgolfswing.blogspot.com/[/url]

I know he was banned from the site because I saw him on the 3 to 9 forum, but IMO he has some pretty good content.

Also, I haven't read all of these threads (obviously) and at this point it's becoming obvious that this stuff has been talked about before. The difference is I actually am buying it this time because it came from me and I have my own experience to prove it to be true. That was my point originally. I'm sure a bunch of dudes are going to be like no this is trash blah blah blah, but IMO they won't know their secret until the find it themselves (instead of theorizing about BS online).

And hopefully this whole thread hasn't wasted too much of anyone's time. I was just pretty excited initially (and still am).
[/quote]
You identified the correct body part with right elbow, but you got the change and purpose wrong.

[quote name='Tee_Party' timestamp='1338764793' post='5024264']
[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338475980' post='5004928']
OK I'm uploading a bunch of video on my youtube account (casmdean1) if you guys want to see and I'm going to attach some pictures to this.

I'm also going to spill the beans because I feel like it. Before that, please note that if you do see my swing, I'm not claiming it's Hogan or looks like Hogan, etc. My definition of "the secret" is how to stabilize the clubface through the impact zone. Other people define it differently which is fine. I just looked at his 1930s swings and compared them to 1946 and after and that's what I'm calling his secret because he was a big time flipper then he stopped being a flipper.

Anyway, the main difference I noticed between pre and post secret swings according to this definition are: 1) Hogan got to the early elbow plane ("EEP") post secret, and he didn't pre secret; and 2) Hogan stuck his right elbow to his side post secret, vs. having it more in front of him post secret. IMO AND in my experience, this combination of things stabilizes the clubface FOR ME. No obviously there is more to it then that, but I've been able to hit the ball solid for a long time now and have shot under par plenty of times (with a bush-league shortgame unfortunately but I'm going to work on that now that I understand what I need to do with my swing instead of spending time trying to figure things out).

So here's another thing I thought was interesting about what I consider the secret. Pronation or suppination in the backswing (I don't know which is which) shallows the club and helps with the process of getting on the EEP. Pitchers right elbow as demonstrated in 5L also helps shallow the club and get on the EEP. Pitchers elbow also pins the right elbow to the side assuming your pivot is performed correctly (and you aren't backing out of the shot, covering instead on the way down). One other thing, the whole Jody Vasquez secret with the right knee is actually part of pivoting correctly IMO (I know not everyone agrees with this, but it definitely helps me). And this is the part of the secret that I said goes against your instinct, because you are basically blocking out our right elbow for a large portion of the downswing, which felt REALLY weird for me.

Here is pics of me demonstrating (taken from full speed swings hitting 4 iron):

Actually nevermind that, I can't figure out how to upload pics with this new format (if someone else knows how let me know).

Anyway, Trevino and Hogan do the same thing coming into the ball that I'm talking about. And I went back and looked at some of my swings where I was actually happy with my release and I found I was doing this as well (not as well as either of those studs but I was much closer than when I was coming in and flipping it through the ball).

Again, I'm uploading a bunch of these videos now so you can check them out on my channel. I'm not anywhere close to having this move down and there are definitely other issues I still need to address. BUT I am convinced this move is going to allow me to have the impacts dynamics I've been search for for years at this point. Just need reps lol.

Also, one other thing, I noticed this website after the fact because I stumble on some of the guys videos: [url="http://biokineticgolfswing.blogspot.com/"]http://biokineticgolfswing.blogspot.com/[/url]

I know he was banned from the site because I saw him on the 3 to 9 forum, but IMO he has some pretty good content.

Also, I haven't read all of these threads (obviously) and at this point it's becoming obvious that this stuff has been talked about before. The difference is I actually am buying it this time because it came from me and I have my own experience to prove it to be true. That was my point originally. I'm sure a bunch of dudes are going to be like no this is trash blah blah blah, but IMO they won't know their secret until the find it themselves (instead of theorizing about BS online).

And hopefully this whole thread hasn't wasted too much of anyone's time. I was just pretty excited initially (and still am).
[/quote]
You identified the correct body part with right elbow, but you got the change and purpose wrong.
[/quote]

Mkay...whats correct and why?

[quote name='Colum' timestamp='1338717085' post='5020766']
Come on Tyler, out with it, whats the moves that makes it all work.
[/quote]

See page 3 of this (I think). I already said what I thought it is. And now I realize it isn't a secret at all. It's just a really good "position" you have to pass through if you want to have a Hogan/Trevino release pattern.

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1338755177' post='5022938']
[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1338707905' post='5020616']
[/quote]

I [i]think[/i] it has to do with extensor pressure. The right arm trying to straighten. Still depends on the pace of the takeaway/rebound effect in transition.

Hogan had heavy clubs but his hands were trying to get deeper early. If he had more liberal extensor pressure I dont think they would ever get there and the club would not have rebounded to parallel.
[/quote]

Don't see the connection between extensor action and "deep" hands. Probably depends on HOW you do extensor action. Some just straighten the R elbow and push. Some would pull with the R hand/forearm. Some would both pull and push.

In any case, Hogan is totally flat chested. That's a factor.

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338819874' post='5027464']
[/quote]

See page 3 of this (I think). I already said what I thought it is. And now I realize it isn't a secret at all. It's just a really good "position" you have to pass through if you want to have a Hogan/Trevino release pattern.
[/quote]
I do, will check it out asap!!!
Thanks for the pointer

[quote name='Colum' timestamp='1338834261' post='5028902']
[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338819874' post='5027464']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I do, will check it out asap!!!
Thanks for the pointer
[/quote]

I went back to page three and didnt see it, I did get nausea trying to find it though. Help!!

[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1338824766' post='5027908']

Don't see the connection between extensor action and "deep" hands. Probably depends on HOW you do extensor action. Some just straighten the R elbow and push. Some would pull with the R hand/forearm. Some would both pull and push.

In any case, Hogan is totally flat chested. That's a factor.
[/quote]

Wow...never thought of it that way. thanks.