2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

I absolutely did not figure out Hogan's secret about 30 weekends ago

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1338472100' post='5004520']
Tyler,

Don't give out anything. People here would be much better off if they found it for themselves. All I want to see is your swing video..........while you're doing the "thing" you discovered.
[/quote]

Ok Tyler, I said you shouldn't give anything out, but I never said anything about me....hehehehe.......ok........here ya go guys...enjoy:

[b]the time. with elbow your hip Hit and right at the ball same right[/b]

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1338473996' post='5004718']
i would like before and after with the new thing to see if there is more "Hoganness" in it.

Btw, does anybody hate the new interface? i have all kinds of issues with it
[/quote]

Have they actually IMPROVED anything is my question?

all I know is that it looks slightly different and it locked me out of the bored for a few hours....... which was devastating.

anyway back to hogan............. its the right leg everyone!!

OK I'm uploading a bunch of video on my youtube account (casmdean1) if you guys want to see and I'm going to attach some pictures to this.

I'm also going to spill the beans because I feel like it. Before that, please note that if you do see my swing, I'm not claiming it's Hogan or looks like Hogan, etc. My definition of "the secret" is how to stabilize the clubface through the impact zone. Other people define it differently which is fine. I just looked at his 1930s swings and compared them to 1946 and after and that's what I'm calling his secret because he was a big time flipper then he stopped being a flipper.

Anyway, the main difference I noticed between pre and post secret swings according to this definition are: 1) Hogan got to the early elbow plane ("EEP") post secret, and he didn't pre secret; and 2) Hogan stuck his right elbow to his side post secret, vs. having it more in front of him post secret. IMO AND in my experience, this combination of things stabilizes the clubface FOR ME. No obviously there is more to it then that, but I've been able to hit the ball solid for a long time now and have shot under par plenty of times (with a bush-league shortgame unfortunately but I'm going to work on that now that I understand what I need to do with my swing instead of spending time trying to figure things out).

So here's another thing I thought was interesting about what I consider the secret. Pronation or suppination in the backswing (I don't know which is which) shallows the club and helps with the process of getting on the EEP. Pitchers right elbow as demonstrated in 5L also helps shallow the club and get on the EEP. Pitchers elbow also pins the right elbow to the side assuming your pivot is performed correctly (and you aren't backing out of the shot, covering instead on the way down). One other thing, the whole Jody Vasquez secret with the right knee is actually part of pivoting correctly IMO (I know not everyone agrees with this, but it definitely helps me). And this is the part of the secret that I said goes against your instinct, because you are basically blocking out our right elbow for a large portion of the downswing, which felt REALLY weird for me.

Here is pics of me demonstrating (taken from full speed swings hitting 4 iron):

Actually nevermind that, I can't figure out how to upload pics with this new format (if someone else knows how let me know).

Anyway, Trevino and Hogan do the same thing coming into the ball that I'm talking about. And I went back and looked at some of my swings where I was actually happy with my release and I found I was doing this as well (not as well as either of those studs but I was much closer than when I was coming in and flipping it through the ball).

Again, I'm uploading a bunch of these videos now so you can check them out on my channel. I'm not anywhere close to having this move down and there are definitely other issues I still need to address. BUT I am convinced this move is going to allow me to have the impacts dynamics I've been search for for years at this point. Just need reps lol.

Also, one other thing, I noticed this website after the fact because I stumble on some of the guys videos: [url="http://biokineticgolfswing.blogspot.com/"]http://biokineticgolfswing.blogspot.com/[/url]

I know he was banned from the site because I saw him on the 3 to 9 forum, but IMO he has some pretty good content.

Also, I haven't read all of these threads (obviously) and at this point it's becoming obvious that this stuff has been talked about before. The difference is I actually am buying it this time because it came from me and I have my own experience to prove it to be true. That was my point originally. I'm sure a bunch of dudes are going to be like no this is trash blah blah blah, but IMO they won't know their secret until the find it themselves (instead of theorizing about BS online).

And hopefully this whole thread hasn't wasted too much of anyone's time. I was just pretty excited initially (and still am).

clutching at straws with the right elbow location being "glued" to the side , it varies in location from club to club , as in with a short iron it can be more in front but long stuff more at his side ( face on view)......... but this is due to what his pivot is doing and type of shot being played
i don't see it as Hogans secret , he wrote what it was in detail in life magazine
but hey why not get an e-book going and spend 30 mins with Ken Venturi and let him proclaim to the world that you cracked the code!!!!

Ehh - having a stable relase and not flipping it through impact is something many people figured out. You dont need to study Hogan for that. Go to your local driving range pro, ask him, if its a good idea to flip through impact, if he tells you yes, turn around and leave, if he tells you no, pay him 50 $ and ask him how to stop doing it....

Stopping the flip is just one little brick on a long way of becoming good in golf. And saying Hogan achieved greatness once he stopped flipping..... LOL

[quote name='kafka01' timestamp='1338478339' post='5005148']
Ehh - having a stable relase and not flipping it through impact is something many people figured out. You dont need to study Hogan for that. Go to your local driving range pro, ask him, if its a good idea to flip through impact, if he tells you yes, turn around and leave, if he tells you no, pay him 50 $ and ask him how to stop doing it....

Stopping the flip is just one little brick on a long way of becoming good in golf. [b]And saying Hogan achieved greatness once he stopped flipping[/b]..... LOL
[/quote]

Well seeing as he worked on changing his swing because he found in 1945/6 that he could only hit low hooks, and could barely get his 4 wood off the ground, it doesn't seem that preposterous.

Started hitting a power fade = "I have a secret"

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338476128' post='5004936']
Oh and one more thing. IMO, if you think Hogan has to actively roll his hands through impact or anything like that, then you are way off base on the secret.
[/quote]

It will save you so much time if you would carefully choose and read all the posts here in WRX re Hogan. I suggest circa 2008 onwards.

What you discovered as Hogan's secret are the BASICS of Hogan's swing. Every Hoganite has a full grasp of it. They're a given.

The R elbow stuck or not so stuck to the R hip, the R elbow in front or not so much in front of the R hip is a function of how bent over your spine angle is to the ball and how far your hands are from the body.

So in a wedge, your R elbow will be farther from and more in front of your stomach because you are more bent over so your hands are farther from your body. In a driver, you are less bent over so your hands are nearer your body. Naturally, the R elbow will be the same.

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338475980' post='5004928']
OK I'm uploading a bunch of video on my youtube account (casmdean1) if you guys want to see and I'm going to attach some pictures to this.

I'm also going to spill the beans because I feel like it. Before that, please note that if you do see my swing, I'm not claiming it's Hogan or looks like Hogan, etc. My definition of "the secret" is how to stabilize the clubface through the impact zone. Other people define it differently which is fine. I just looked at his 1930s swings and compared them to 1946 and after and that's what I'm calling his secret because he was a big time flipper then he stopped being a flipper.

Anyway, the main difference I noticed between pre and post secret swings according to this definition are: 1) Hogan got to the early elbow plane ("EEP") post secret, and he didn't pre secret; and 2) Hogan stuck his right elbow to his side post secret, vs. having it more in front of him post secret. IMO AND in my experience, this combination of things stabilizes the clubface FOR ME. No obviously there is more to it then that, but I've been able to hit the ball solid for a long time now and have shot under par plenty of times (with a bush-league shortgame unfortunately but I'm going to work on that now that I understand what I need to do with my swing instead of spending time trying to figure things out).

So here's another thing I thought was interesting about what I consider the secret. Pronation or suppination in the backswing (I don't know which is which) shallows the club and helps with the process of getting on the EEP. Pitchers right elbow as demonstrated in 5L also helps shallow the club and get on the EEP. Pitchers elbow also pins the right elbow to the side assuming your pivot is performed correctly (and you aren't backing out of the shot, covering instead on the way down). One other thing, the whole Jody Vasquez secret with the right knee is actually part of pivoting correctly IMO (I know not everyone agrees with this, but it definitely helps me). And this is the part of the secret that I said goes against your instinct, because you are basically blocking out our right elbow for a large portion of the downswing, which felt REALLY weird for me.

Here is pics of me demonstrating (taken from full speed swings hitting 4 iron):

Actually nevermind that, I can't figure out how to upload pics with this new format (if someone else knows how let me know).

Anyway, Trevino and Hogan do the same thing coming into the ball that I'm talking about. And I went back and looked at some of my swings where I was actually happy with my release and I found I was doing this as well (not as well as either of those studs but I was much closer than when I was coming in and flipping it through the ball).

Again, I'm uploading a bunch of these videos now so you can check them out on my channel. I'm not anywhere close to having this move down and there are definitely other issues I still need to address. BUT I am convinced this move is going to allow me to have the impacts dynamics I've been search for for years at this point. Just need reps lol.

Also, one other thing, I noticed this website after the fact because I stumble on some of the guys videos: [url="http://biokineticgolfswing.blogspot.com/"]http://biokineticgol...g.blogspot.com/[/url]

I know he was banned from the site because I saw him on the 3 to 9 forum, but IMO he has some pretty good content.

Also, I haven't read all of these threads (obviously) and at this point it's becoming obvious that this stuff has been talked about before. The difference is I actually am buying it this time because it came from me and I have my own experience to prove it to be true. That was my point originally. I'm sure a bunch of dudes are going to be like no this is trash blah blah blah, but IMO they won't know their secret until the find it themselves (instead of theorizing about BS online).

And hopefully this whole thread hasn't wasted too much of anyone's time. I was just pretty excited initially (and still am).
[/quote]

Good for you man, looks like you're striking the ball solid.

Your pivot is looking so much more consistent..............

Was it Hogan's secret? I'll ask you again in a years time.

Nothing new there TD, these things have been discussed ad naseum on this site for several years now, but glad it's working for you. I agree with Eightiron, Hogan was being honest when he wrote the Life article titled "This is MY secret." Also, I think that getting into that famous Hogan pitch elbow is something that is more of a reaction to his left arm pronation in the backswing (which keeps his right elbow down) and his downswing pivot. Trying to force the elbow there on the downswing might be OK as a training exercise, but I wouldn't try it on the golf course.

Keep in mind the benefits of that laid off position/EEP in creating a torque about the axis of the left arm which helps to square the face and remember that right in 5L Hogan states that he didn't really have confidence in his ability to be a great player until he'd grooved his backswing slot. This is why so many great ballstrikers shallow the club in transition, IMO. The left arm pronation in the BS is what did that for Hogan so he didn't need a shallowing move and could "bust it right from the top" as Geoff Jones likes to say.

Just my opinion.

[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1338478957' post='5005210']
Nothing new there TD, these things have been discussed ad naseum on this site for several years now, but glad it's working for you. I agree with Eightiron, Hogan was being honest when he wrote the Life article titled "This is MY secret." Also, I think that getting into that famous Hogan pitch elbow is something that is more of a reaction to his left arm pronation in the backswing (which keeps his right elbow down) and his downswing pivot. Trying to force the elbow there on the downswing might be OK as a training exercise, but I wouldn't try it on the golf course.

Keep in mind the benefits of that laid off position/EEP in creating a torque about the axis of the left arm which helps to square the face and remember that right in 5L Hogan states that he didn't really have confidence in his ability to be a great player until he'd grooved his backswing slot. This is why so many great ballstrikers shallow the club in transition, IMO. The left arm pronation in the BS is what did that for Hogan so he didn't need a shallowing move and could "bust it right from the top" as Geoff Jones likes to say.

Just my opinion.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Yeah this whole thing is making me wonder about trying to get the shaft more vertical in the backswing like I've been trying to do for a while now. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense given that I got to shallow it back out on the way down... Might as well stay shallow the whole time.

[quote name='kafka01' timestamp='1338478339' post='5005148']

Stopping the flip is just one little brick on a long way of becoming good in golf. And saying Hogan achieved greatness once he stopped flipping..... LOL
[/quote]

I don't know about this man. I've bounced around quite a bit with some "good" teachers but didn't get anywhere with it.

[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338479896' post='5005308']

Just my opinion.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Yeah this whole thing is making me wonder about trying to get the shaft more vertical in the backswing like I've been trying to do for a while now. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense given that I got to shallow it back out on the way down... Might as well stay shallow the whole time.
[/quote]

Just make sure that you don't try to shallow it in the take-away. Shallow it late in the BS.

Just my opinion.
[/quote]

Yup. Totally agree.

Hoganfan, any changes in Geoff's teachings nowadays compared to his Encyclopedia Texarkana days?

[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1338480056' post='5005322']
[quote name='tylerdurden' timestamp='1338479896' post='5005308']

Just my opinion.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Just make sure that you don't try to shallow it in the take-away. Shallow it late in the BS.
[/quote]

Thanks man. Appreciate the heads up. I'll be sure I don't. I've struggled with a overly inside takeaway and it's no fun.

Oh and one more thing. IMO, if you think Hogan has to actively roll his hands through impact or anything like that, then you are way off base on the secret.
[/quote]

...youre talking feels. Hogan had PA2, PA3, etc and had to release it. Armswing and roll.

Trevino is much closer to "not releasing the hands and arms" than Hogan. But there is release. Dont confuse people and start saying that everything is pinned to the body.

YIKES!! That's it?? EARTH SHATTERING you say?? THE secret you say?? Cmon son, you've got to do better than right elbow to right hip on downswing.

WRX and just about every golf forum out there talks about PART of Hogans secret is right elbow to right hip. If you want to hear more about your big secret that just 24 hours ago you could not share, simply search on YouTube: Hogan right elbow right hip and you'll get a few hundred hits....same with google.

Why is this earth shattering? Kinda like saying I think the secret has something to do with keeping the right knee stable during the back swing. It's been said and done here and elsewhere only about 1000 times.

Just another wasted thread on a eureka moment.

Oh, and here's just one example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFoBrxKdR8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1338480834' post='5005382']
Oh and one more thing. IMO, if you think Hogan has to [size=5][b]actively[/b][/size] roll his hands through impact or anything like that, then you are way off base on the secret.
[/quote]

...youre talking feels. Hogan had PA2, PA3, etc and had to release it. Armswing and roll.

Trevino is much closer to "not releasing the hands and arms" than Hogan. But there is release. Dont confuse people and start saying that everything is pinned to the body.
[/quote]

check out the work I've highlighted.............. why is it some people always latch onto someone when they say Hogan didn't [i]actively [/i]release, and immediate interpret it as meaning that Hogan didn't release at all?

Of Course Hogan had a release, he just happened in a specific way because of various things he did.

[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1338482405' post='5005526']
YIKES!! That's it?? EARTH SHATTERING you say?? THE secret you say?? Cmon son, you've got to do better than right elbow to right hip on downswing.

WRX and just about every golf forum out there talks about PART of Hogans secret is right elbow to right hip. If you want to hear more about your big secret that just 24 hours ago you could not share, simply search on YouTube: Hogan right elbow right hip and you'll get a few hundred hits....same with google.

Why is this earth shattering? Kinda like saying I think the secret has something to do with keeping the right knee stable during the back swing. It's been said and done here and elsewhere only about 1000 times.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFoBrxKdR8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]
[/quote]

How come they don't answer the questions at the end of the video?

Now we'll never know.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFoBrxKdR8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]
[/quote]

Very nice video, thanks for posting. Kind of says it all without having to say much.

BTW, love the opening "At which point of the swing does the lust for the goat begin?" Priceless! lol

[/quote]

I was joking about that c'mon man.

[quote name='nicebutdim' timestamp='1338483156' post='5005618']

[/quote]

How come they don't answer the questions at the end of the video?

Now we'll never know.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Awesome video though.

[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1338480062' post='5005326']

Just my opinion.
[/quote]

Yup. Totally agree.

Hoganfan, any changes in Geoff's teachings nowadays compared to his Encyclopedia Texarkana days?
[/quote]

His core beliefs and concepts have not changed in years, but his way of communicating them are always evolving. He's always working on new homemade training aid ideas, imagery, feels, etc. to most quickly and effectively elicit changes in his students. His latest (and most favorite gizmo) is a homemade driver that's a combo Ledbetter swingsetter and weighted club. Also, although he revealed quite a bit in his posts here, he didn't reveal everything. And don't bother asking because I'm not telling.

[/quote]

Nice video. The urge to taste the goat starts somewhere in the DS when you feel you're gonna hit the ground! If let's say there is chainsaw right above your head and right in front of your nuts, what will you do to avoid hitting the ground? Remember, you can't straighten or lift your spine angle as that will lift your head and you will be killed by the chainsaw...and you can't fark the goat as the chainsaw will split up your future kids...lol