2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

My Progress to a Correct Swing. Same Thread less me being...

Hey, thanks anyone for taking the time to look at my swing.

I started this thread title "i can drive the ball 300 yards, but still have etc..."

Anyways, filming my swing and reviewing it with help from wrx has been eye opening.

I want to continue to post my progress, and thought best to edit this thread verse start a new one.

I am keeping my original swing here to remind myself where I started, a swing full of anger and excitement.

I had no rotation, awful balance, and poor weigh shift.

I have been watching the vids from rotaryswing.com which make sense to me, so anyone who cares I will post vids every now and then when I think I hit a break though.

THanks any other tips are great.

NEW vids at bottom.

th_swing.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your swing is all arms and hands, which would lead to spraying it on misses. Check out the 9-3 drill in the swing forums, and get more core involved in starting the swing and on through. Hogan, mahan, ishikawa, oostenhasen, all good swing to watch and mimic

Ping G30 Sl-Tec
TM R11 PW-4I
Scor 52-56
Odyssey Versa 7

It's easy to hit the ball 300 these days, playing qa solid round, that's harder.

Your swing looks really good in many ways, I'd say it just needs some tightening up more than anything else. Try to stay in control at the top of the backswing.

You look kind of stuck through the ball, but that's not the end of the world, at least for now. What's your miss? a push slice or dead pull?

Im not sure how to describe the ball flight on the misses, but I'd say "fly away fade". Don't know if I'd call it a slice because it starts off nice, but like I mentioned I knock the ball pretty far so the fade just wont quit until its drastically off target often ob.
I had a brief experience with the drop hook only because I was trying different grips, only to realize my grip was good before I just had the wrong size on my driver.
The comments are great guys thank you, as far as the 9-3 that is my typical iron shot because I have learned enough to know I am accurate at 150 with my 8 iron with a 3/4 swing and thats good enough.

• 2 weeks later...

i think the simplest way to get the correct feel for how the body and arms should be attached is to take your normal grip, and press your elbows into your hips / sides. then, just turn your chest in small movements to the left and right like you were swinging at the ball. but do not use your arms, and do not use wrists. just lets the arms and clubs go along for the ride.

that will give you the feeling of your core (chest and shoulders) leading the golf swing. then try and incorporate that feeling into your real swing. yes you still use your wrists a little bit in the real swing as well as arms, but it should be the core leading the arms not the other way around. a lot of players when making a change like this will be MORE inconsistent, and it will probably feel strange and wrong, but with some practice you will be back to hitting the ball very far, but with more consistency. thats what i have been working on lately (though im not as long as you) and its been really helping me become more accurate. good luck.

My friend is like that too. He'll drive it 300+ right down the middle and have an easy wedge into most greens and still find a way to bogey or double it because he has no touch. He'll drive one right down the middle and the next five holes he'll hit it right down the middle every hole...but on a different fairway.

Think that ive thought myself over the past few months and my handicap has tumbled from 18 to 9 since March!

1: Never swing 110%, you're not good enough, swing 70/80% with a nice tempo and forget about distance, until you know exactly what u are doing wit the golf ball

2: Short game short game short game, theres nothing worse than hitting super drives and still coming off with bogeys. Go chip and pitch and putt til your hearts content, you can drive the ball 350 but if you cant chip and putt from off the green you will never get the hcap low

3: Try to get a practice swing going (with a little spine tilt to the right, and try maintain it, your shoulers are too level setting up to the ball and its leading you to come down over the top imo), then try put that exact same swing on the ball, i used to be a "hitter" like you, but it leads to inconsistencies

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. Since I posted this vid I haven't actually made it to the course, but instead have spend 7-8 hours a week at the range and 4-5 hours at chipping/ putting green.
I am sure a good combo of practice and and play is good, I think I am just trying to get my confidence back after trying so many different swings. I'm pretty excited with how its going, and will post up a new vid this week showcasing a swing with less arms, less force, and more "Fred Couples",,,Ha!

So today I played my first round since posting my swing on here, and scored an 84. Which I was very happy about consider the heat and humidity out there and I wore myself out.

Some experts might say my swing is the same, but I am using new grip, new stance, and have Im trying to swing less.

Im still not 100% happy, but I didn't loose a single ball all day from my driver. Did loose 2 from my wedge, a] course had very high rough b] it was hot and I was tired. Anyway here is one of my 8 iron where the ball went where I wanted it, and the second is my driver that also flew on target.

I should mention, not once today did I drive the ball 300, but 270 with roll maybe and a lot of fairways.

Any more tips greatly appreciated.

th_Swing742.jpg

th_drive742.jpg

Your hands are very active at the beginning of the swing. You flatten out quite quickly and sort of pull the club behind your body, which explains the stuck look you get coming into the ball. Instead of trying to feel your club come around your body on the backswing, feel like you are moving your arms (not hands) back either on the target line or outside of it, and feel your arms not only rotate but pull the front of your body away from the target. That's the best way I can explain it, and I realize that I'm over simplifying, but I suffered from the exact same issues earlier in the season and have been battling a swing rebuild, so I feel your pain.

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

Thanks Chappie, it kinda sucks I have been playing this game for three years now and I just now see and understand. It is not holding the club and and pulling away from the ball, but your arms are simply attached to your shoulders which rotate clockwise r. shoulder away from ball.
I cannot help but see that with every player @ Greenbriar, and yet I have been doing the wrong thing soo much that now the right thing feels weird and uncomfortable.

I can't believe that not one person in this thread mentioned the most basic and glaring issue with this guys swing.

He is incredibly over-the-top.

Look at the top of the swing. His hands are coming up and wayyyyy over the top of his swing plane.

He has no chance of hitting the ball straight with a move like that.

Keep it simple man. Swing the club back on one plane, then bring it back to the ball on the same plane.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

Update 7/13 I have been watching the rotary swing videos and I'm feelin pretty good with my rotation. What do you guys think?
I know my downswing and follow through is more of a shift/ step forward and I'm working towards the squat weight shift motion. Which by the way I have found easier on the irons, still trying to tell myself DONT swing for the fence.

http://youtu.be/V5eXXSqHIro

[quote name='mattastic' timestamp='1342203027' post='5269520']
Update 7/13 I have been watching the rotary swing videos and I'm feelin pretty good with my rotation. What do you guys think?
I know my downswing and follow through is more of a shift/ step forward and I'm working towards the squat weight shift motion. Which by the way I have found easier on the irons, still trying to tell myself DONT swing for the fence.

[media=]http://youtu.be/V5eXXSqHIro[/media]
[/quote]

In the back-swing you are lifting your right toes off the ground. This tells me that your weight is on the heel rather than the balls of your feet.

Swing is still over-the-top.

Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

[quote name='Steve Ryan' timestamp='1341699430' post='5233896']
I can't believe that not one person in this thread mentioned the most basic and glaring issue with this guys swing.

He is incredibly over-the-top.

Look at the top of the swing. His hands are coming up and wayyyyy over the top of his swing plane.

He has no chance of hitting the ball straight with a move like that.

Keep it simple man. Swing the club back on one plane, then bring it back to the ball on the same plane.
[/quote]

I dont see this in the latest video.

[quote name='bacination' timestamp='1342431996' post='5283852']
I dont see this in the latest video.
[/quote]

It's not as bad as it was before but you can see that his hands are rising above the plane.

As always, I think he would be better off by slowing down and shortening his back-swing.

Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

As far as weight balls of ft I have heard its good, but also heard to center my wright for better balance.
I had an awful weekend on the course ( played both days) because too many swing thoughts.
But, I did have 2 drives where I used 9-3 as my practice swing then I felt myself squat at the top of my backswing to transfer weight and keep balance.
I crushed those 2 drives exactly where I wanted both rolled out 330+ believe me or Not, I dont care. My dad witnessed and so did the foursome I accidently hit into. My bad, but they did cause me to have a 5.5 hr long play time.

Still have lots of work to do!!