2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Do any of you regularly play par 3 courses?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Pweb44' timestamp='1339605238' post='5084868']
There is a new one near me, about a 5 min drive from my house that they call an Executive 9 since it is a combo of par 3's & 4's that opened this year. I've been to it a couple of times and really enjoyed playing there that I'm going to pick up a 10 round green fee pack. This place offers both a range with grass and matt hitting areas and a bucket of balls is included with the green fee. So it is a good place to go and hit the range to work on some things then go out an put to use some on course practice time. Like the place you mentioned, the one near me is not overly busy so you can go out alone and will allow you a chance to hit multiple balls.

One round we went out behind another group that were causing us to wait on each tee shot so since noone was behind us my brother in law and I on the 3rd green after putting out hit some extra chip shots and gave us a little room on the group in front and it worked out perfect; no pushing the group in front and noone pushing behind us.

I've come to like playing this course cause it allows me to practice some short game shots on course and should help improve my scoring game. Also some of the holes are tricky where on a couple you have to hit over some water so you have be sure you get the ball there. In fact the course signature hole is an Island green and probably one of the toughest holes I've played. The hole runs about 165-175 but once past the tee you have no bailout areas so you either put the ball on the green or it is getting wet.
[/quote]

Where in NB is this beauty of a place that you describe? I live in NB and make the odd road trip to play different courses in the province.

[quote name='ThirteenGreen' timestamp='1339695980' post='5092960']
There is a new one near me, about a 5 min drive from my house that they call an Executive 9 since it is a combo of par 3's & 4's that opened this year. I've been to it a couple of times and really enjoyed playing there that I'm going to pick up a 10 round green fee pack. This place offers both a range with grass and matt hitting areas and a bucket of balls is included with the green fee. So it is a good place to go and hit the range to work on some things then go out an put to use some on course practice time. Like the place you mentioned, the one near me is not overly busy so you can go out alone and will allow you a chance to hit multiple balls.

One round we went out behind another group that were causing us to wait on each tee shot so since noone was behind us my brother in law and I on the 3rd green after putting out hit some extra chip shots and gave us a little room on the group in front and it worked out perfect; no pushing the group in front and noone pushing behind us.

I've come to like playing this course cause it allows me to practice some short game shots on course and should help improve my scoring game. Also some of the holes are tricky where on a couple you have to hit over some water so you have be sure you get the ball there. In fact the course signature hole is an Island green and probably one of the toughest holes I've played. The hole runs about 165-175 but once past the tee you have no bailout areas so you either put the ball on the green or it is getting wet.
[/quote]

Where in NB is this beauty of a place that you describe? I live in NB and make the odd road trip to play different courses in the province.
[/quote]

It is in Saint John NB, Called Cedar Grove, on Golden Grove Road. I don't think they have a website yet but I was told they were suppose to try and get one up sometime so for now the course rely more on word of mouth and some road side signs and a buildboard on the highway advertising the course.

[quote name='Pweb44' timestamp='1339696876' post='5093074']
[quote name='ThirteenGreen' timestamp='1339695980' post='5092960']

[/quote]

[/quote]

It is in Saint John NB, Called Cedar Grove, on Golden Grove Road. I don't think they have a website yet but I was told they were suppose to try and get one up sometime so for now the course rely more on word of mouth and some road side signs and a buildboard on the highway advertising the course.
[/quote]

Well now, I may have to make the journey to check this place out. I am in Sackville NB, it is a few hours away but it can be done in a day trip. No website yet as you mentioned but from what you describe it sounds like a nice place.

Golf in NB is much more than Royal Oaks, Kingswood and Fox Creek. Lots of hidden gems off the beaten path.

[quote name='WildDog06' timestamp='1339699595' post='5093418']
[quote name='manbearpig' timestamp='1339698300' post='5093268']
My wife and I play a 9 hole par 27 almost every week. Full length Par 3's and 2 short Par 4's. Awesome for working on your irons and short game.
[/quote]

Wouldn't that be a par 29?
[/quote]

Yes that would be a typo

I usually play the 9 hole par 3 course at my club 3 or 4 times at a time on days when I'm not on the big course, or if I have an afternoon tee-time I'd play 9 in the morning after a bit on the range to just work on my short game.

[size=4][font=georgia,serif][b]Taylormade[/b] R1 w/ Aldila Voodoo 10*
[b]Cleveland[/b] Classic 15.5* w/ Matrix Ozik
[b]Adams [/b]DHY 20* with Aerotech Steelfiber
[b]Ping [/b]S57's w/ S300 4-W [/font][/size]
[b][font=georgia, serif]Cleveland[/font][/b][color=#010101][font=georgia, serif] 588's 52, 56, 60[/font][/color]
[size=4][font=georgia,serif][b]Kenny Giannini[/b] G2 Chubby [/font][/size]

[quote name='Pweb44' timestamp='1339688132' post='5091948']
[b]I think that some people look down too much on the pitch and putt or par 3 courses beacuse the holes are short or what not but really these types of course can offer a majority of the golfing public a chance to inprove their short game.[/b] Really there are more golfers out there that have a problem playing shots less than 100 yards to the greens. I've played some places that have really short holes or tiny greens etc and these courses can truly challange your short game. I know myself on a normal course I'd rather hit a 130 yard iron shot vs a 65-75 yard shot since you can swing away rather then trying to adjust your tempo or speed or trying to pull off a half swing. Now that I've mixing in more of my time at my local executive 9 hole course with time spent at full 18 hole course I expect to have more confidence that i can pull off the shot when I'm standing 50 yards off the green.
[/quote]

I agree! Some folks don't consider a Par 3 course a challenge for whatever reason but it'll show your strengths or weakness. You won't shoot par if you can't on the big course - scoring will be consistent with your handicap.

Handicap:  3

My local Robert Trent Jones offers a range plan that is unlimited range balls and unlimited par 3 course. I have the range plan and try to play the par 3 a couple times a week on the weekends. If I am struggling with wedges I will play from the ladies tees and have all the holes in the 70-110 yard range. If I am struggling with mid irons, then I play from white or if I just want a challenge I play from the tips which have about 4 holes over 200 and the rest are in the 170 range.

Par 3s, used wisely, offer great practice for iron play.

We have a course here in NJ called Heritage Links that is a links style 9-hole course. It consists of six par-3 holes ranging from 120 yards to 190 yards and three short par-4 holes with the longest being about 350 yards. Every hole on the course is well designed. The conditions are on par with many high end 18-hole courses in the area. To me this is the ultimate course design. Anyone from a beginner to a single digit handicapper can go out on this little course and have fun. I play this course a lot in the offseason.

[quote name='SurfDuffer' timestamp='1339769173' post='5098964']
We have a course here in NJ called Heritage Links that is a links style 9-hole course. It consists of six par-3 holes ranging from 120 yards to 190 yards and three short par-4 holes with the longest being about 350 yards. Every hole on the course is well designed. The conditions are on par with many high end 18-hole courses in the area. To me this is the ultimate course design. Anyone from a beginner to a single digit handicapper can go out on this little course and have fun. I play this course a lot in the offseason.
[/quote]

Sounds like a lot of fun :)

Driver -  PXG Gen5 0311 XF 12* - PX Cypher 50 R

5 Wood -  Taylormade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue R

Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW - True Temper S

Wedges - Titleist SM8 52* 56* 

Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Special Select - 33" 

[quote name='Golfdawg' timestamp='1339608128' post='5085150']
I make sure to play one just down the road that has 18 holes which range from 87-177 yards once every 2 or 3 weeks. It's in great condition, better thans ome courses i know, and my short game has improved 3 times over.

[url="http://www.pebblecreekgolfpar3.com/index.php"]http://www.pebblecre...3.com/index.php[/url]
[/quote]I played there a couple times when I lived in Charlotte. Nice course and the cost is reasonable.

Where i live (Vancouver, BC) the parks board seems to have a fetish for par3 courses; there are 3 of them within 15 minutes driving distance of me. My friend's dad tought me to play on these when i was about 8 years old and this provided my segue into real golf when I got older. Still love to play the par 3 courses now, when they aren't busy I play 2 or 3 balls per hole and basically treat it as 18 different practice greens to practice putting and chipping from different lies.

My buddies and I will make a trip to Treetops in Gaylord MI each year, and after a round each on each of the four championship courses, we will cap it off with 9 on Rick Smith's Threetops. That last 9 holes is about as much fun as a bunch of guys can have. (Especially after 72 holes of competitive golf with no-holds-barred banter between shots.) But that's a great par 3 course. That does matter.

Driver: Srixon 785 (Helium f4 49g) 3 & 5 Woods: TaylorMade M6 (FW 6s) Hybrid: Cleveland Launcher Halo  4 (22º) Miyazaki C Kua 60  Irons: Srixon 585 5-AW (Steelfifber 95s). Wedges: TaylorMade R-Series Tour Grind EF Spin Groove 52º-9, 56º-10 (KBS Wedge Shaft) Golf Pride MCC+4 grips. Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow, Double Bend Shaft, Stroke Lab Oversize Grip

Played my first par 3 course (18 holes) a couple weeks ago. It was a last minute squeeze in round that my schedule permitted. The course was legit with holes from 105 to 195. I had a great time. For the same amount of time I found it far more enjoyable than a regular 9 holes. Comparing to just 9 holes, you get more scoring chances since you're always going for a green and better quality practice - in my opinion.

[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1340820560' post='5178590']
Bandon Preserve just opened and is a terrific layout and fun to play.
[/quote]

Leave it to Mike Keiser to kick it up a notch!

I think most people's lack of enthusiasm for the par 3 course is because most of them are either:
- made for beginners, devoid of any strategy or challenge
or
- poorly conceived and cheaply executed.

I think there is a place for a well done nine hole par 3 course that has interesting/strategic holes ranging from about 90 yards to 220 yards or so. Something that can be walked and played in a hour, or 90 minutes tops. Would be great practice and fun when you didn't have time for a full round.

Aguila GC, a city of Phoenix muni has a 9-hole par 3 that is fun to play. Not what i would consider perfectly executed (not enough variety in hole lengths), but it is free to play with a paid 18-hole round at the regulation course.

The ideal country club for me would have a regulation course and a nine hole one-shotter course.